Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have a home for the little kitten I found, just down the road, so in a week or so he's going.
    Mad little fella, we started calling him Steve Rogers as professor applesauce was too cutie for him. I'll post a pic before he goes, he's growing really fast!

Poor Lucy, if it's a front paw be careful going down stairs as the weight will be on it, if back one it'll be going up. Hope she heals up fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm surprised at how laid back Toby is having his wound cleaned. In the past he'd wriggle and struggle to get away, no he just purrs and relaxes. It looks nice and clean so far and I'm keeping it open and cleaned twice a day, hopefully we can avoid a vet trip. He's sprawled on his bed in a sunspot on the living room floor now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Left home this morning with my boyfriend still in bed with my cat snuggled up on his chest purring.

That's just FINE, I'll go to work to pay for the kibble and the Netflix and the mousey toys and the rent.

Youz just stay there.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dad was halfway to work this morning when Kovu appeared beside him in the van :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Haha that's funny about Kovu - my dad would be delighted if one of the dogs stowed away with him!! Oh and Opies sock from yesterday too! :D

Lucy was fine during the night - decided she was sleeping on my bed for a few mins then went to her 'bunk' and stayed there for the night. I kept them both in this morning rather than leave her and take Bailey out - just in case she was sick or had any side affects from yesterday etc but they didn't seem to mind. I'll leave her in this evening and take Bailey boy out. He's back in the vets tomorrow for repeat bloods since of of the tubes clotted and then Lucy in on Friday. Can't get any time off atm as my poor colleague is very sick so having to do evening appointments with them where possible. Off to Dunnes/Penneys at lunchtime to get some non-slip socks to keep the bandage clean! :p Really hoping the weather stays dry to make life easier - nothing worse than having to keep a dressing dry!! We were just saying how good she is though - I told her yesterday morning not to touch her bandage ie "ah-ah" and that was it. So no worried of her pulling it off or chewing on it etc.

I was laughing this morning telling her I had a sweet for her - her antibiotics which she took no problems. Reminded me of the boards cats who aren't so obliging :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Completely unrelated to literally anything, but do any of you guys know offhand if you need photo ID to go to the UK on a ferry?
    My bro offered to dogsit and its our last chance to get away. We aren't going to have passports in time (Biohazard are playing on the 9th of July and we have to be there for then!) and my driving licence expires 2 days after we are due to leave, and I'm on my third, so I can't apply for a new one.
    Think it said somewhere birth certs are ok as ID?

Opie is none the worse for having passed an entire gents plaid sock. On the plus side, he swapped it with me rather than guarding it, and he will now swap kongs that still have food in them too. He is still guarding his bowl of food, but he gets fed away from everyone else either in the kitchen or outside, so that's not the issue, and he has no issue with you walking past him, just if he sees hands. I'd call that a result!

It's been a frustrating morning. I was walking to the shopping centre and I noticed a little tabby cat strolling along, I hadn't seen him around the neighbourhood before and he looked a bit confused. Anyway, when I got to the shopping centre there was a poster up about him being missing from the far side of the town for the past 2 days. I phoned the number given and they came up looking for him but apparently he was nowhere to be seen.:( If I'd realised he was lost I would have kept him with me until his family got there. All I can do now is keep a look out for him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Completely unrelated to literally anything, but do any of you guys know offhand if you need photo ID to go to the UK on a ferry?
    My bro offered to dogsit and its our last chance to get away. We aren't going to have passports in time (Biohazard are playing on the 9th of July and we have to be there for then!) and my driving licence expires 2 days after we are due to leave, and I'm on my third, so I can't apply for a new one.
    Think it said somewhere birth certs are ok as ID?

Stena have never asked me for any, but recommend you have it, but then say you can use a utility bill

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Stena have never asked me for any, but recommend you have it, but then say you can use a utility bill

I went before to Liverpool in a large group and wasn't asked for any ID at all, so wasn't sure what the policy was, but Irish Ferries mailed me back on FB to say that a birth cert would be more than adequate if I also have a bank card (the one that will be used to book the trip is in my name so all the better).
    Crazy to think the amount of security I have to go through to get on a plane to my home country when I can get on a ferry with a phone bill :D
    I've to take the birth cert over anyway to get an Apostille stamp so it all works out!

10 year old boy in my local pound who's time runs out today. Never in my life have I felt such love towards an image before, and I honestly considered selling some stuff in my house to make up the release fee to get him out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 michele101

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks to get that horrible dog smell out of a fabric couch? The covers can't be removed. Since the sun was shining in on it the smell is so much worse, can't stand it! Thanks

michele101 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks to get that horrible dog smell out of a fabric couch? The covers can't be removed. Since the sun was shining in on it the smell is so much worse, can't stand it! Thanks

The only things I can think of would be Febreeze or getting the sofa cleaned. I need to get our carpets professionally cleaned, I think it's about 100 euro for that and you can probably hire the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michele101

The only things I can think of would be Febreeze or getting the sofa cleaned. I need to get our carpets professionally cleaned, I think it's about 100 euro for that and you can probably hire the machines.

Looks like that's the only option, i'll try it! The struggle of having pets haha they seem to own our house

michele101 wrote: »
    Looks like that's the only option, i'll try it! The struggle of having pets haha they seem to own our house

Maybe call woodies and see if they have upholstery attachments for the carpet cleaners they hire out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

For the first time in a very very long time Dude is having problems again. Can't complain because it was well before Christmas that he had his last bad bout, but I noticed this evening he's starting to get a bit of scald again. Hopefully a bath and putting cream on it for a few days will clear things up before he needs an antibiotic! Gave him metacam this evening and now he's zonked out from it!

For the first time in a very very long time Dude is having problems again. Can't complain because it was well before Christmas that he had his last bad bout, but I noticed this evening he's starting to get a bit of scald again. Hopefully a bath and putting cream on it for a few days will clear things up before he needs an antibiotic! Gave him metacam this evening and now he's zonked out from it!

Sorry to hear that. Maybe the heat/humidity triggered it. Hopefully it'll stop soon, poor little guy has had more than his fair share of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Oh poor Dude, I hope he's feeling better today.
    This was my bed at 6am this morning, well, the bit on the right hand side was the half bed I had to squeeze into.
    Single beds and huge spready cat don't work very well together!

ZbPS9smm.jpg

^ Thats how much space I had in a double bed with Lucy - until she moved into her bunk! \0/

Hope dude is feeling better soon!! Lucy is in for a wound check this evening - I just hope it's knitting together and not wrecked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yeay, I'm booked into a TTouch workshop in Dublin the morning before the Coppinger seminar. Going to take Rooney and see if I can find a way to calm him down when he's in harness. I walked 4 dogs yesterday evening, 2 x 2. Yes, it was warm, but we were mainly in the shade and it was an amble, instead of a fast walk, and they could paddle in the river. I had to put him back in the van onto a water soaked towel and give him water when we got back and half an hour later. The other 3 dogs were all fine, because they were happy just to walk, he is always in a hurry to get somewhere and can't relax when out and about.

You'll LOVE it!! I know Lisa and she's just brilliant. I've done a workshop with Sarah Fisher and a one to one Lisa too and learnt loads from both. The groundwork might be good for your guys too for conditioning and balance? Funny last time Bailey had to be kept in the vets for xrays the vet mentioned how he was much happier the time before in his thundershirt so more and more people are aware of T-Touch. I had a print out yesterday to give the vet about vacci-check titre kits so think they might get them in :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I've just read on FB that you should bite/pinch a pup's ear if they're nipping 'because that's how their bothers and sisters tell each other when they've had enough'! How can people still give 'advise' like that!!? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    I've just read on FB that you should bite/pinch a pup's ear if they're nipping 'because that's how their bothers and sisters tell each other when they've had enough'! How can people still give 'advise' like that!!? :mad:

Because they're idiots? Such a shame people like that are still out there owning dogs.

Just back from the go walkies for guide dogs in limerick. We took Elly and she was very well behaved. Got a bit scared when the bigger dogs were sniffing round her, so she had to come up in my arms for a hug until she felt better!!!

We are considering looking after a puppy for them later this year so it was nice to chat to people who were doing the same.

We are considering looking after a puppy for them later this year so it was nice to chat to people who were doing the same.

I know a few people who do it/have done it and they're ....well.... mostly assholes :pac: A bit holier than thou etc. Possibly because they're a bit older and old skool in their approach? One couple in particular flipped out one time when the pup picked up a tennis ball and then another time where trying to train him to recall to whistle (having clearly done little groundwork at home) we were in fits because every time they blew the whistle the dog ignored them but Bailey went and sat beside them!!! The more the dog ignored them and Bailey got it right the more annoyed they got! Like its a pup - sometimes it takes a bit of work just to get their attention? The dog was sent back to them in the end but it's a mute subject! I'd love to take on a puppy to train and plan to next time around but not for them - I just don't agree with their training methods!

Is it guide dog specific training? Or is it dependent on the person who does the training??

I've met a couple of people who do it in limerick and they seem Ok.
    My biggest worry is that I won't be able to train them properly. Don't have a great deal of success with mine!
    However Elly is like a typical collie but with adhd added in!!

Is it guide dog specific training? Or is it dependent on the person who does the training??

I've met a couple of people who do it in limerick and they seem Ok.
    My biggest worry is that I won't be able to train them properly. Don't have a great deal of success with mine!
    However Elly is like a typical collie but with adhd added in!!

Yeah all the rules that guide dogs have - no throwing balls/sticks/anthing near the pup, no giving treats near the pup, the check collars and how they handled them etc etc Dogs for the disabled let them be normal puppies which would be more up my street.

Thanks for the info, I'm meeting them in July, so it will be interesting to have a list of questions for them. I'm guessing that its going to be a case of if they suit us, more than if we suit them.

But I'm guessing if no ball play is allowed, that might be a problem as my two love ball play. Plus my son's idea of exercising them is to throw a ball round the garden with them!

Still not convinced either way, so the more information I can gather the better.

Have a look at dogs for the disabled's FB - seeing the videos kids of having the confidence to get up walk with their dogs was enough to convince me! They had a documentary on rte a while back too where the dad and little boy go down to Cork for training and to bring the dog back - me and my friend were in tears listening to the podcast lol ! :o

You could sign up for holiday cover with either of them to get an idea of what's involved? Somebody we know was minding a guide dog pup who was CRAZY - family took on the pup to see if they wanted a dog, decided they didn't and didn't bother doing any training with the poor thing! :mad: It was old enough too but wasn't house trained so they reckoned he was left out all the time.

• Advertisement

There's always something.:rolleyes: We're away on Wednesday til Thursday night and my brother is pet sitting for us but yesterday Toby came home with a weird blister like thing below his ear, about an inch from the healing small abcess on top of his head. He arrived back from the fields this morning and by the looks of it it had just burst. I'd planned to take him to the vet this morning but of course he'd done a runner when I came down from the loo. Now I've got to try and nab him and hope I can get him seen to this afternoon or tomorrow and I'll worry even more about him because we haven't been away at night since he or Poppy have been with us and he'll find it weird.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement