Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I hope Disney's okay, μ. Any update today?

She's home!

She was much happier this morning, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. They just need her to do a solid poo now. She's done one less than solid (to put it in polite terms) but they'd prefer something better. If she hasn't done one by morning, she has to go back in but at least she is home for tonight.

So relieved to have her back and so happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    She's home!

She was much happier this morning, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. They just need her to do a solid poo now. She's done one less than solid (to put it in polite terms) but they'd prefer something better. If she hasn't done one by morning, she has to go back in but at least she is home for tonight.

So relieved to have her back and so happy

Excellent news. :)

She's absolutely starving. She's allowed some rice and chicken but only in small quantities in case she starts throwing up again. I gave her some and she keeps sniffing around where the bowl was to find crumbs. And she keeps stealing chews which I don't think she should have as they would be too rich.

But after last night I think her being hungry is a huge improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    She's absolutely starving. She's allowed some rice and chicken but only in small quantities in case she starts throwing up again. I gave her some and she keeps sniffing around where the bowl was to find crumbs. And she keeps stealing chews which I don't think she should have as they would be too rich.

But after last night I think her being hungry is a huge improvement

Hungry's always a great relief after they've been sick. Commercial chews sound like a big no-no for the interim though. Just out of interest, what were they, because I mistakenly gave my pup a Dentastix when she was far, far too young for them and she had a tummy upset as a result. I'm much more careful now what she gets for chews and treats.

They are just small rawhide twisted sticks, no idea what they are called. I just get them in the local pet shop. Shelties seem to have sensitive tummies so a lot of the richer ones make them sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

...That awesome feeling/moment when a severely misunderstood but awesome dog who was adopted, returned, nearly PTS, and subsequently spent months looking for a home finally gets a great one!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just went to wash Oliver's bed and found he had stashed his duck, rabbit, ferret, 2 monkies, and a pheasant soft toys in there, along with several socks and a fabric shopping bag!
    It's a wonder he could even get in his crate, he's now taking some toys back into his clean bed and getting comfy.
    He's an odd dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So there was a lone swan on the riverbank this morning in the park at 7:00am - the fact that it was on it's own struck me as strange... I wasn't planning on letting the dogs in the river so wasn't over that side and didn't get a good look but it was moving around. Anyways my friend text me earlier to say it was still there as of this evening and somebody had tried to put a blanket over it - which it was having none of lol!! :p Why did the wardens leave it there all day I wonder - I would have thought they'd report it to the local spca and they would have picked it up??! I'm not a fan of swans because of the vicious pair in the other park we walk in but I have visions people who go in after dark letting their dogs run amok and attack it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

tk123 wrote: »
    So there was a lone swan on the riverbank this morning in the park at 7:00am - the fact that it was on it's own struck me as strange... I wasn't planning on letting the dogs in the river so wasn't over that side and didn't get a good look but it was moving around. Anyways my friend text me earlier to say it was still there as of this evening and somebody had tried to put a blanket over it - which it was having none of lol!! :p Why did the wardens leave it there all day I wonder - I would have thought they'd report it to the local spca and they would have picked it up??! I'm not a fan of swans because of the vicious pair in the other park we walk in but I have visions people who go in after dark letting their dogs run amok and attack it! :(

You have to have special equipment to carry swans. My Dad used to work for a rescue and my Mum used to make "swan socks" out of old sleeping bags for him- the real ones are mad expensive apparently.

Anywho, we're (finally!) getting our house decorated after renovating and getting the structure sorted for the last year but everything is off shelves and dumped on the sofa. Shade is NOT a happy cat, with only a little side arm perch available in the sitting room. With the painter in she'll be allowed upstairs on the bed so hopefully that'll placate her. She was just shooting me filthies this morning when I came down...

You have to have special equipment to carry swans. My Dad used to work for a rescue and my Mum used to make "swan socks" out of old sleeping bags for him- the real ones are mad expensive apparently.

Eh like what were they hoping to do with the blanket is what I want to know - tuck him in for the night? :p Anyways according to the spca Fiachra the swan (he's obviously one of children of Lir ;)) is probably the cygnet I thought he was and has been kicked out of the family unit to make toom for new cygnets which is normal this time of the year. Leave him alone and let nature take it's course - they don't get involved unless the swan is physically injured.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I was over at my neighbours over the weekend and was admiring how lovely her lawn was looking - she's always out cutting it! Inwardly I was wondering how my lawn could look so bad in comparison. Cut to today, when I connected the dots and realised the reason. She doesn't have 2 daft dogs who regularly do zoomies around said garden!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If I had a choice of a perfect lawn, or someplace for dogs "zoomies", I'd go with the tatty lawn any day :)

Me too, aonb, I'm not garden proud or house proud come to think of it! Good job really:D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

I had to bring my dog Poppy to the vets this evening. She has been off form for the last 2-3 days and very bad today. I had to carry her outside to go to the toilet. Parents said she had a turn around 3 and became unsteady on her legs and fell down. The vet said she has the symptoms of suffering from a stroke and her heart beat is slow and laborious. The vet said signs of heart failure. Poppy got two injections, dunno what they are because I was in shock and tablets to act as a diuretic as she has water retention. I can't believe it. I started sobbing the minute she said it could be the end. I had her since I was 10. She's literally part of me.

OMG poor Poppy!! :(

Well we've had an eventful hour. Bailey was crying to us and we realised he had an abscess on his chin again - exactly the same as last time but it just came up out of nowhere!! He was fine when I came home at 6!!! Anyways didn't know what to do - tried squeezing it, bathing it etc but he cried and then didn't want me to touch it.. Anyways called emergency number and it was our practice on call.. Arranged to take him over at 10 and left him while I was getting ready - the bloody (literally) thing popped itself!! Had to call back and cancel. I have pain relief here so we'll be OK overnight. Relived as he wouldn't have let that vet near him anways so it would have been an ordeal(!)

Poor Bailey, these things always happen out of hours don't they!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Poor Bailey, these things always happen out of hours don't they!

I know!! Like WTF would make him swell up like that so quick!? :eek: Anyways gave him a pill and a treat and he's gone to bed wearing his little baby bib to keep it from getting too wet and let it dry out - I still had some from last time lol! Not a bother on him and we'll probably be up all night with the adrenaline from it all! :p. I wonder could it be drool or food or something related to the way his jaw is now? His leg's been stiff so I've only be taking them for short walks in the evening. The other night when I was picking up a poo a nettle came thru the bag and got me in the hand so maybe it was that!? Too much of a coincidence though for it to happen twice in 4 months whatever it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

since abscess' are caused by bacterial infections - he must have got a small cut on his chin that became infected - maybe you need to boose his immune system (?) if he has had a couple of infections lately? Poor Bailey - well probably more poor you - he was fine with his treat and his bib - cutie!

aonb wrote: »
    since abscess' are caused by bacterial infections - he must have got a small cut on his chin that became infected - maybe you need to boose his immune system (?) if he has had a couple of infections lately? Poor Bailey - well probably more poor you - he was fine with his treat and his bib - cutie!

What would you suggest for his immune system? Vet doesn't think it's an abscess..well she said it doesn't look like how an abscess should look. He's going in on tues for a biopsy to be safe. Leaving him in is the worst :(

Could he have got a seed under the skin?
    It happened to Tiffi last year, lump came up and before I got to the vet it burst, mucky smelly blood and puss, and eventually the grass seed.
    Came up very quick too, vet sha ed area and gave antibiotics and it healed up quickly. Apparently they can go into the foot and travel up the leg, hers was the top of her foot, they are common in the face/neck area too.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    Could he have got a seed under the skin?
    It happened to Tiffi last year, lump came up and before I got to the vet it burst, mucky smelly blood and puss, and eventually the grass seed.
    Came up very quick too, vet sha ed area and gave antibiotics and it healed up quickly. Apparently they can go into the foot and travel up the leg, hers was the top of her foot, they are common in the face/neck area too.

Yeah she asked was he in grass in case it was a seed and it was the same - bloody puss when it burst and a weird smell...didn't see a seed though! Just a bit weird that he's had swelling 3 times now in 8 months(!) they wouldn't take a chance either with his history/jaw operation. There's not a bother on him - he's sitting snoozing with the inflatable colour and bib on lol! I'm going to get another on of those collars online just in case that one bursts! Got a flexi lead earlier as much as I hate them so he can still have a bit of freedom.

Seed took a day and a half to come out, and another 2 for the sheath off the seed to come out.
    I had to bath it with boiled salt water and dry it, 3 or 4 times a day.
    Hope it's just something like that, not anything more serious, they are worse than kids at times!
    (Although the dogs don't complain as much as kids do ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Bit the bullet and bought a Buster collar for baldy butt Kovu.
    (The cat now, not me :D)
    Also got some anti-lick strips as back up. I think I need to get a skin biopsy done, it sounds/looks like eosinophilic plaque, but that's just from me doing research on cat skin problems and the fact it started at the site of a tick bite.
    Does anyone have any experience with it?

Well baby dumpling is doing fine. Wound is still bit oozy and wet but not as swollen so whether they'll still want to do a biopsy or not I don't know?! Lots of funny looks in the park this morning just with the doughnut on - imagine the faces if he had of had his bib on lol!! :p

368635.png

No word from the vet yet and afraid to call.. #worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Fingers crossed tk.

No details yet but he's ok. Sitting up but still groggy so they're holding on to him for a while longer. Collecting him around 5:00pm. My nerves are shot this time >_<

Poor Bailey and poor you! Fingers crossed all is well

He's grand. The traced the duct back to where it ended so no hole in his jaw or anything like before. Sample sent off to the lab to see if it was a foreign body making it swell up every 2-3 months. THE RELIEF!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Our cat Ripley was spayed yesterday and she just won't sit still! All she wants to do is jump and run and wrestle around like normal. It's impossible to keep her still!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement