Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got nibbled on by an owl today in work, not every day you can say that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got nibbled on by an owl today in work, not every day you can say that :D

Do you feel wiser? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm having some work done in the house, including putting a new stove in, which entailed knocking holes in the wall to find the old flue. Clancy decided the hole must be an escape tunnel and has tried making it bigger. The plumber also innocently thought he could leave his tools lying around in the dog end of the house until tomorrow - I told him to look around and see what my lot can do to walls and furniture, the tools were moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm having some work done in the house, including putting a new stove in, which entailed knocking holes in the wall to find the old flue. Clancy decided the hole must be an escape tunnel and has tried making it bigger. The plumber also innocently thought he could leave his tools lying around in the dog end of the house until tomorrow - I told him to look around and see what my lot can do to walls and furniture, the tools were moved.

Ive always taught my dogs to DIG! on command - handy when Im in the garden - they help dig holes when planting - unfortunately this has backfired, so if Im doing anything that looks like digging - e.g. clearing moss/hoe-ing/weeding - I immediately have little doggie paws getting involved :D (and hen claws too of course!)

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Do you feel wiser? :p

Not a bit :P

Realised this evening it's been 2 years today since Dudes little accident. He's celebrating by having a great game of football with cream using a Christmas pudding bauble! If it wasn't for the lack of tail, the ever so slightly stiff hips and the leaky bum you'd never know a thing had happened to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

You are a great cat Mammy. Only for your dedication to him I don't think Dude would be such a lucky little fella.

Ah poor Dude! What a little trooper! :)

Ah poor Dude! What a little trooper! :)

and what a trooper cat-mum! what you went through with poor Dude was really way beyond normal patience at times - great that hes pretty much recovered from it all - great to see it was all worthwhile :)

aonb wrote: »
    and what a trooper cat-mum! what you went through with poor Dude was really way beyond normal patience at times - great that hes pretty much recovered from it all - great to see it was all worthwhile :)

And I'd go through it all again for my little Bambi man :D He's nuts though, I think it must have stunted his development mentally because he still acts like a 12 week old kitten most of the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just had to perform the Heimlich on Shade! She was choking on a bit of chicken my gf gave her- it was too big for her. Bless her though, she didn't freak out even though she hates being picked up, she just came straight back to me after the chicken cleared for a snuggle. She is now being allowed as much time as she wants with her big valerian pillow to help her relax. Poor thing.

Yikes I didn't restrict Bailey enough today and he's really limping! Have given him metacam earlier but he's hoping around the place now - feel very guilty :(

Yikes I didn't restrict Bailey enough today and he's really limping! Have given him metacam earlier but he's hoping around the place now - feel very guilty :(

Glad someone else knows the feeling. Took my post-ligament-replacement fool out today, when a jeep went past (we stand in on the verge - very rare occurrance to have a car pass us on our little lanes) the fool took off FULL BELT down the lane after the jeep with me ROARING after him! Thought for sure he'd have damaged the artificial ligament - he came cringing back to me - I was so cross and terrified I roared at him again - making me feel even guiltier :(:(

Glad someone else knows the feeling. Took my post-ligament-replacement fool out today, when a jeep went past (we stand in on the verge - very rare occurrance to have a car pass us on our little lanes) the fool took off FULL BELT down the lane after the jeep with me ROARING after him! Thought for sure he'd have damaged the artificial ligament - he came cringing back to me - I was so cross and terrified I roared at him again - making me feel even guiltier :(:(

Yeah scary when they bolt like that!! Well he's been fine today. I just took them to the park beside us for a small walk to be safe. Short walk around the block for the rest of the week so he actually rests!

Yeah scary when they bolt like that!! Well he's been fine today. I just took them to the park beside us for a small walk to be safe. Short walk around the block for the rest of the week so he actually rests!

we're on the same page then!! My guy fine too but restricted walks to rest up - sheesh!

we're on the same page then!! My guy fine too but restricted walks to rest up - sheesh!

Well I didn't see him limp at all yesterday evening!?! I wonder if the turmeric is kicking in - I'd up the dose? They've both picked a lovely new toilet area for short walks - the raised grass in front of the church - right on the corner of a busy road for all to see :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had an absolutely terrifying episode with our lad last night.

He was due his annual boosters so took him to the vet. He is obsessed with chasing cars so he generally gets walked after 10pm when the roads are quieter and has been making decent progress. Last night's appointment was at 6:30, height of rush hour and for some reason I decided it would be a good time to step up the training a bit and walk to the vets.

We normally walk with a front attached harness but I figured this would get in the way of examination and shots so went with his brand new flat collar. It occurred to me that he hadn't been walked with this particular collar so I gave a good tightening up before we set off.

He did reasonably well on the way to the vet with only a couple of barking and lunging sessions.

On the way back we had to wait to cross a railway level crossing. By the time the train passed, the gates opened (beeping loudly) and the line of cars suddenly took off he was absolutely bonkers.

I ducked into the train station car park to get him away from the cars and let him calm down. We start moving back towards the entrance and he decides to stand up beside the wall to look at the cars, this separation seems to help as he's just watching them go by without barking.

All off a sudden he jumps clean over the high wall. I can't get over the wall and hold onto his leash and all his medicines so I try and coax him to jump back over. He tries to but there's not enough slack in the leash for him to get a run up. As he's pulling back to try and get a run up the collar slips off his head and he tears off into seriously heavy traffic.

It took about 10 minutes of me and several car drivers running around after him, over and back across the dart tracks, before I managed to get him to chase me into an apartment complex and two passersby closed the gate as soon as he ran in. Once he was away from the cars he just calmed down and started sniffing a tree long enough for me to put his collar back on.

That's the last time I'll ever walk him without a harness and it'll be a long time before he goes out at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My God that is dreadful. One of my recurring nightmares is a similar scenario. Glad it turned out ok.

TT

I was terrified just reading that hardcopy. So so glad he's safe. At least some people helped. My dog has managed to escape a couple times and head straight for the busy main road so I know the absolute heart in your mouth fear that comes with it! Fair play for keeping your cool and rounding him up! I've been guilty of freezing to the spot with shock!

OMG hardcopy you must have been terrified and sick with worry now imagining all sorts. My two got out in the middle traffic a couple of months ago - something happened at home and they were terrified and bolted out the front door and kept going because the gates had been left open :( I wasn't there but my mum still gets close to tears any time she talks about it :( Very scary even thinking about it after and it stays with you for a long time. I always take my two to the vets with harnesses on and the odd time it's been in the way we take it off in the examination room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

What a horrible situation. I'm so glad your dog's okay, hardcopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It took me the whole night to settle down. At least he's done more running than a long trip to the dog park, he's been exhausted since he got home last night. He didn't even hear me coming home to check on him at lunch today.

He'll be back to some sort of obedience training in January. We have him just over a year now, I never would have thought that a year in we'd still be at a point where he can't walk past traffic without freaking out.

#smug I got a lovely new duvet set at lunchtime that's just happens to be same-ish colour as the dogs so the hairs will be camouflaged lol! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi all,
    The final of the A&PI is stickied here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057538404

Voting closes next Tuesday Dec 22nd at 9pm sharp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Proud of my puppy today, my sister-in-law came over a month or two ago and my puppy went ballistic, he was quite freaked out by her (running up to her barking his head off), she was standing all awkwardly when he came down to see her which I think didn't help, in turn she was freaked out too (he's a German Shepherd). Today she came over and he totally ignored her, was happy playing with his toy. She was freaked and prepared for him to react again but he was busy doing his own thing.

One of the toughest things about getting a puppy is getting to know your puppy's personality, what they like, don't like, what they'll react to and why. I'm still figuring him out, I feel like I don't really know him yet even though he's 8 months old now.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    One of the toughest things about getting a puppy is getting to know your puppy's personality, what they like, don't like, what they'll react to and why. I'm still figuring him out, I feel like I don't really know him yet even though he's 8 months old now.

For me the hardest part is people not complying with our rules for the dogs. Bailey was a brat today when we were having coffee barking for a piece of the cookie my friend had gotten for us to share - why? Because every week she's giving him cake/biscuit/cream/the foam off her coffee etc etc She thinks he's gas and I'm mortified!

Anyways hehe I got usb led collars in lidl a couple of months ago. I have the same kind that I got on zooplus last year so got 2 of the lidl ones for backup and one for my friend. She announced today that they needed to get a new collar because they can't see the lights anymore - they're gone too dim.

TK - "How often are you recharging it?"
    Friend - "You can recharge them?!?!"

:p:pac:

A visitor insisted on giving my dog bits of his dark chocolate digestive today. :mad:

More joy for me and puppy today. Got him a new and higher quality dog food, he loves it AND I borrowed a front clip harness off a friend to try on him to see how it works. It's a size medium but it's still loosy goosy on the front, just tried walking him on it down the road and it felt fantastic and he is so much more happy and relaxed. Hoping to move away from the head halti as I think it's contributing to his reactivity on walks.
    For me the hardest part is people not complying with our rules for the dogs. Bailey was a brat today when we were having coffee barking for a piece of the cookie my friend had gotten for us to share - why? Because every week she's giving him cake/biscuit/cream/the foam off her coffee etc etc She thinks he's gas and I'm mortified!

Haha I'm so bad by comparison. I brought one of my dogs to a christmas party who is on a strict diet at home, basically everyone was feeding him and I was encouraging it as I want to keep his confidence levels with people high lol.

VonVix wrote: »
    More joy for me and puppy today. Got him a new and higher quality dog food, he loves it AND I borrowed a front clip harness off a friend to try on him to see how it works. It's a size medium but it's still loosy goosy on the front, just tried walking him on it down the road and it felt fantastic and he is so much more happy and relaxed. Hoping to move away from the head halti as I think it's contributing to his reactivity on walks.

Haha I'm so bad by comparison. I brought one of my dogs to a christmas party who is on a strict diet at home, basically everyone was feeding him and I was encouraging it as I want to keep his confidence levels with people high lol.

What's the new food, VonVix? It's so encouraging to see a pup really enjoy their food. Ours was so picky till about 16 months and now we've found one she likes.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    What's the new food, VonVix? It's so encouraging to see a pup really enjoy their food. Ours was so picky till about 16 months and now we've found one she likes.

Markus Muhle NaturNah. He's actually finishing his meals in one sitting now. :D I'm hoping things get better for him from now on, there hasn't been much he has been excited about, he's been miserable on walks lately and his food was "meh" to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement