Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Over the last few weeks I've started to notice that Cream seems to be getting older :( His back legs are catching him when he's getting up and sometimes they give when he stretches or jumps up on the couch. Looks like he could be getting a tad arthritic, he'll be 7 this year, just seems too young to be old!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

SillyMangoX- keep him exercised! Get him swimming, get him standing on his hind legs with the paws resting on your leg or arm to beg for food (on command), anything like that will help keep him stronger in his hindquarters. Stuff that is strength-building without too much risk of falling is best.

Latatian wrote: »
    SillyMangoX- keep him exercised! Get him swimming, get him standing on his hind legs with the paws resting on your leg or arm to beg for food (on command), anything like that will help keep him stronger in his hindquarters. Stuff that is strength-building without too much risk of falling is best.

I think I may lose and arm if I try get him swimming :P out of all my 3 cats he's the most active one, he has zoomies and flies up and down the stairs and up and down the field and up and down trees without a bother, it's just when he stretches or gets up the wrong way! Watching supervet at the moment and I'm convinced he has a luxating patella now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

My apologies, I do not know why I instantly assumed Cream was a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Latatian wrote: »
    My apologies, I do not know why I instantly assumed Cream was a dog.

I still think you should go swimming - and make sure you film it please :D

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    I still think you should go swimming - and make sure you film it please :D

This is giving me flash backs of the time he fell into the bath... with me still in it! :eek::eek:
    If there's every hydrotherapy around here I'll experiment on him though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is giving me flash backs of the time he fell into the bath... with me still in it! :eek::eek:
    If there's every hydrotherapy around here I'll experiment on him though :P

LOL that happened to my cat one time too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:D
    Kovu fell into the recycling bin yesterday. I was dividing beestings into containers for freezing on top of the black bin and noseyarse thought it was mayonnaise. (Anything vaguely white is mayo in his cat world!)
    He jumped up on the blue bin to weedle some out of me but I'd left it open aften taking out plastic containers. Oh jesus I laughed until my sides were sore. His face as he jumped up and fell right down onto the cardboard was priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Kovu wrote: »
    :D
    Kovu fell into the recycling bin yesterday. I was dividing beestings into containers for freezing on top of the black bin and noseyarse thought it was mayonnaise. (Anything vaguely white is mayo in his cat world!)
    He jumped up on the blue bin to weedle some out of me but I'd left it open aften taking out plastic containers. Oh jesus I laughed until my sides were sore. His face as he jumped up and fell right down onto the cardboard was priceless!

Beestings?

Beestings?

The first milk a cow has after calving, it's yellow in colour, really thick and full of good stuff for the calf.
    Was freezing some from an older cow I handmilked as we have heifers to calve and sometimes their stuff isn't as good or she doesn't understand to let the calf suck in the first few hours.

• Advertisement

The things you learn on boards! :D

I think all mammals produce it, colostrum is the official term but sure isn't it more fun to call it something entirely different :pac:

sure isn't it more fun to call it something entirely different :pac:

Is that a farming motto? :D

Is that a farming motto? :D

Yep, it's how we confuse everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Colostrum used to be called beestings in the Equine industry years ago. Nowadays most just use the word colostrum other than the odd ould fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Colostrum used to be called beestings in the Equine industry years ago. Nowadays most just use the word colostrum other than the odd ould fella.

I've never heard that before, must be chatting to the wrong ould fellas! :pac: you learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Beestings?

So I know the word - beestings - but I thought you were all spelling it wrong - that it should be beastings (as in beast...) but it seems we are all right - according to the dictionary, although its spelled biestings in USA - who knew :cool:

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/beastings

Oh, and its still pretty much used I would have thought - not just by the odd auld fella!!?? Maybe we should do a survey on the smallholding or farming forums??!

Yea you can make beestings cakes from it too but I'd be a bit unsure. It's hard to describe the taste, almost like condensed milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Alicat wrote: »
    Welllll.....

This massive XXL barrel for my two lumps (over 7kg each)
    378593.jpeg

This interactive food toy/maze
    378594.jpeg

Just an update on these!

The cats are IN LOVE with the barrel. Well worth the money. If I go to take Riggs off the top, he grips on to it for dear life, and when we let him into the living room in the evenings he goes straight for it.

He also loves the cat logic maze. He spends ages at it, but he's starting to work it all out. Definitely going to get some other types to keep him stimulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

we've always thought our youngest dog to be a bit 'dim' - but are discovering that hes actually not too bad, must be cos the other two such clever boys - the other day got him a "KARLIE Doggie Brain Train" puzzle thing - and he sussed it in minutes - very proud of our boy :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Those bloody puzzles just get smashed around the place in our house! We were given one that has sliding tiles that go over the treat - like the old sliding puzzles when you were a kid....anyways the dogs figured out if the kept banging the whole thing the tiles would just slide by themselves - cue the dogs in a frenzy and BANG SMASH WHACK lol!! The same with the one with spinning round round parts - gave that to my friend as it was too noisy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

tk123 wrote: »
    Those bloody puzzles just get smashed around the place in our house! We were given one that has sliding tiles that go over the treat - like the old sliding puzzles when you were a kid....anyways the dogs figured out if the kept banging the whole thing the tiles would just slide by themselves - cue the dogs in a frenzy and BANG SMASH WHACK lol!! The same with the one with spinning round round parts - gave that to my friend as it was too noisy :p

Mo gets two frozen kongs every morning, I've never once seen him chew them, he just picks them up and bounces them so the food falls out. When he wants to chew he'll tear up a bed, a fence post, a hedge or a rock.

Why can't you do what the packet said you would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

My Bichon met his first hedgehog last night. I let him out for his late night business at 10pm, I soon heard frantic 'they're attacking' barking coming from outside. I went out to check and found him bouncing and barking at an object. Got my torch and found he had a hedgehog surrounded. He was barking, bouncing, sniffing & whining. Then he ran off to have a sniff around the hedge & bounced back for more barking & whining. I had to physically pick him up to bring him back in. First hedgehog I've spotted in my garden for a few years, hopefully Dexter didn't deafen him & he'll be back to visit again.

I'm on holidays in Paris at the moment, and today we went to a cat cafe!! It was amazing, it's so lovely to chill out and have a bit to eat while there's cats running around - just like being at home :pac: only thing I didn't like was the waitress handing over a spray bottle with water and telling us to spray one of the cats in the face if he jumped up because he's a known ham stealer. Needless to say when he jumped on my lap he was politely placed back on the floor with no spray needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

"known ham stealer"

I can imagine his picture posted in all the cafes with "ham stealer" written on it.

The hamburglar!

facbf719f2521f879c123ab6f465aa3b.jpg

I've been asked if I'll clip a maine coon....not sure if my arms are up to the task! :pac:

Eeeww. Just caught my dog attempting to eat something really small and crunchy. Took it off her to see what it was... My kittens baby tooth! Must have fallen out while they were playing. Gross!

I've been asked if I'll clip a maine coon....not sure if my arms are up to the task! :pac:

AHAHAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D:D

MYGm02Pl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

For some reason, all I can think of is the 80's movie The Thing:-):-):-). *Insert spooky music here*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Why would you clip a cat's coat for ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement