Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Why would you clip a cat's coat for ?

She was totally covered in matts that wouldn't brush out so owners decided to start over with brushing her every day as it grows back. +She now has a Christmas jumper belonging to Kovu keeping her warm :) Mostly an indoor cat too so she's not out in that weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

If I was American, I would say that Kovu rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Kovu wrote: »
    She was totally covered in matts that wouldn't brush out so owners decided to start over with brushing her every day as it grows back. +She now has a Christmas jumper belonging to Kovu keeping her warm :) Mostly an indoor cat too so she's not out in that weather!

We need a picture of the cat in the jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If I was American, I would say that Kovu rocks.

There are three Kovus in this house, it gets confusing when I'm talking about the cat and dad thinks I'm on about the bull. (The other Kovu is a large limousin bull) :D
    reallyrose wrote: »
    We need a picture of the cat in the jumper.

She hasn't got it yet as I'm posting it tomorrow, they meant to buy one on the drive home but couldn't find one to fit in Maxi Zoo. So Mrs Wilkinson (the cat!) will be sent an elf jumper tomorrow!

Although she doesn't seem too worried about her new punk look anyhow! Was sen this a short while ago. Poor fish! :(

m5OkcNkl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not animally at all but I'm waiting at the GP's and there's myself and an elderly couple left.. I went to the loo and come out 'it's hard to tell nowadays, you used to be able to tell by their shoes' - discussing whether I'm a boy or girl in right front of me! Yes I have short hair but eh the boobage is a bit of a give away?! It's usually the dogs people yap about - not me lol!
    I'm not the type of person who could care less what people think but my god - they could crush somebody else with their big mouths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    Not animally at all but I'm waiting at the GP's and there's myself and an elderly couple left.. I went to the loo and come out 'it's hard to tell nowadays, you used to be able to tell by their shoes' - discussing whether I'm a boy or girl in right front of me! Yes I have short hair but eh the boobage is a bit of a give away?! It's usually the dogs people yap about - not me lol!
    I'm not the type of person who could care less what people think but my god - they could crush somebody else with their big mouths!

:pac::pac::pac: Did they not notice which toilet you went into?

You know you've just opened yourself up to some gentle ;) teasing now in May.

muddypaws wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac: Did they not notice which toilet you went into?

You know you've just opened yourself up to some gentle ;) teasing now in May.

Haha there's only the one loo! :pac: Speaking of May I'm going to bring the wonderful present (and dog harness of course) that was delivered earlier - a GoPro. I'm so lucky that I'm so kind to myself :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Aaand my car has died. RIP.

Ah well, at least it died just out of my driveway and not up the mountains. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I made myself a Thai red curry and it was much much hotter than I expected. I actually had to give up on it a third of the way through as I couldn't hack it. I pushed my plate to one side and a few minutes ago I discovered the cat licking it. I panicked and lifted him away. He was not pleased and tried to get back to it while I was frantically filling his water bowl. Anyway he doesn't want water, no licking of his lips, nothing. Is this normal? Are cats not affected by spicy things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I made myself a Thai red curry and it was much much hotter than I expected. I actually had to give up on it a third of the way through as I couldn't hack it. I pushed my plate to one side and a few minutes ago I discovered the cat licking it. I panicked and lifted him away. He was not pleased and tried to get back to it while I was frantically filling his water bowl. Anyway he doesn't want water, no licking of his lips, nothing. Is this normal? Are cats not affected by spicy things?

He doesn't sound too fussed! :D

Btw, I am WAY too late to the party but I think water/beer makes spicy things worse - it spreads them around. Go for dairy, spirits (not for the cat!), sugar, oil or starches (rice or bread). This is purely based on far too much bravado on my part with my Thai in-laws....

• Advertisement

Bailey decided he was sleeping on the bed last night with us and I had a vision of the future - doctors baffled by X-rays of my twisted spine asking me if I had any idea what could have caused it.. And next Bailey and Lucy's heads popping up beside mine like an angel and devil lol!! :pac: Anyways at some stage Lucy got off the bed and moved to the top bunk hi-k9...then woke me up at 4:00am with her 'nobody loves me crying' to come back on the bed with us lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My sister is fostering a dog for a shelter while they manage a short term issue. I haven't met her but have seen the pics and heard all about her. She seems to be a very young (7/8 months) pup that was possibly an expensive Christmas pressie. She's full of energy, and untrained, which is probably why she ended up in a rescue.
    It's all supposition but it makes my blood boil! She's gorgeous, and sounds like a really lovely personality, so I'm really hoping my sister convinces someone to take her long term while she has her! :pac:

TG1 wrote: »
    My sister is fostering a dog for a shelter while they manage a short term issue. I haven't met her but have seen the pics and heard all about her. She seems to be a very young (7/8 months) pup that was possibly an expensive Christmas pressie. She's full of energy, and untrained, which is probably why she ended up in a rescue.
    It's all supposition but it makes my blood boil! She's gorgeous, and sounds like a really lovely personality, so I'm really hoping my sister convinces someone to take her long term while she has her! :pac:

We met a lady the other day with a dog she'd rehomed recently.. Grand little thing - very friendly and sociable but relaxed at the same time etc etc The family that had taken it first time around returned it because... the kids didn't like the markings on it's face...?!?!?! Like WTF!?! A fine example to teach their bratty kids! :mad:

tk123 wrote: »
    We met a lady the other day with a dog she'd rehomed recently.. Grand little thing - very friendly and sociable but relaxed at the same time etc etc The family that had taken it first time around returned it because... the kids didn't like the markings on it's face...?!?!?! Like WTF!?! A fine example to teach their bratty kids! :mad:

Well that's me depressed for the day! How can people like that really exist? What kind of parents are they!
    Reminds me of the time I was at a market fair. There was dog shows so there was dogs everywhere including mine. My dog is a big licker, loves to kiss everyone. So she sneakily licked a little girls hand as she brushed past us. This girl was maybe ten and she started screaming "mommy mommy that dog licked me!" then proceeded to cry and scream. And her mother was hugging her and kissing her and saying everything's going to be OK etc etc. Christ my mother would have giving me a bollicking for being such a brat!

Well that's me depressed for the day! How can people like that really exist? What kind of parents are they!
    Reminds me of the time I was at a market fair. There was dog shows so there was dogs everywhere including mine. My dog is a big licker, loves to kiss everyone. So she sneakily licked a little girls hand as she brushed past us. This girl was maybe ten and she started screaming "mommy mommy that dog licked me!" then proceeded to cry and scream. And her mother was hugging her and kissing her and saying everything's going to be OK etc etc. Christ my mother would have giving me a bollicking for being such a brat!

^ See kids like that are why I have to have an orange harness with IN TRAINING on it in St Annes to try and combat kids coming up and scaring Lucy. We had daddy day care on duty at the weekend - toddler comes over and I had to let go of Lucy's lead before she knocked the table down trying to run around to the other side to hide beside my friend - she tries to run away from them! If she so much as barked or growled at a child I'm sure the police would be called and I'd be at fault. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

BuileBeag that would annoy the ****e out of me. But in fairness kids can get irrationally afraid of weird things- just like dogs can. If someone's kid petted my dog while walking by and my dog got frightened, I would comfort her. If she's having a fit 'cos she's genuinely scared out of her wits then giving out to her isn't necessarily going to help at that moment. Longer-term more socialization would be needed.

Though some parents just seem to encourage either total fearlessness/rudeness (like when a kid runs up and sits on the strange dog and the parent just looks on and smiles) or outright fear ("Stay away from that dog the dog will BITE you.") Kids need to learn how to act appropriately around dogs, and it doesn't come to them naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My friend was talking to a lady today got a pup a few days ago. Her yard is divided in two with a fence. She went out for an hour yesterday and left the pup and small dog out on one side of the fence and two big dogs on the other side. She came back and found the pup had got its head stuck between two boards in the fence and was hanged. The neighbour and a passer by had the fence pulled apart but it was too late :(

My friend was talking to a lady today got a pup a few days ago. Her yard is divided in two with a fence. She went out for an hour yesterday and left the pup and small dog out on one side of the fence and two big dogs on the other side. She came back and found the pup had got its head stuck between two boards in the fence and was hanged. The neighbour and a passer by had the fence pulled apart but it was too late :(

Aw no, that is so sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I was getting Dude ready for our upcoming cat show this weekend, and after grooming him I noticed a load of little bumps and a rash on my wrist, little fecker must have walked through some nettles earlier and carried back the stingers!! He better win now after putting me through this itchiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

He also has his very own clapper board :D

• Advertisement

I just saw on facebook, a lady with huskies takes the hair she has brushed out and puts it in a bird feeder for the birds to line their nests. Genius idea for anyone who's dogs blow their coats at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I just saw on facebook, a lady with huskies takes the hair she has brushed out and puts it in a bird feeder for the birds to line their nests. Genius idea for anyone who's dogs blow their coats at this time of year.

An owner on RTE's Pet Island had his dogs shedded hair woven into a jumper.

I suppose by throwing mo's hair in a corner of the patio I'm making it available to the birds. He's probably not happy with me aiding the enemy.

I brush my two in the park and the birds fly down and take the hair lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Saw a photo somewhere, person puts her dogs hair/fluff onto the clothesline, held in place with clothespegs, the birds come and help themselves!! :)

aonb wrote: »
    Saw a photo somewhere, person puts her dogs hair/fluff onto the clothesline, held in place with clothespegs, the birds come and help themselves!! :)

Everything on our line is already covered in fur - maybe we just need to leave it out longer and have the birds pick of off for us lol!! :pac:

aonb wrote: »

Thats what I do, but on the fence

Had a birthday party for my new adopted cat yesterday! He turned 7 years old! It was his actual date of birth. My friend who gave him to me is heartbroken that she had to rehome him so I put on a little party and sent her pics.

The dogs find the occasional dead bird at the side of the house, always in the same place. I wonder is the big fella killing them and carrying them there. Anyway they were just out at the toilet before bed and Teddy appeared from the side of the house with something dark in his mouth. I got them in and held out my hand and said give it here thinking it was another bird. He dropped a decomposed mouse into my hand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We're taking Mo to a reactive dog class with DSPCA for the next three weekends. I'm not expecting any miracles but really hope it helps him calm down a bit around other dogs. He's totally fine when off lead in the dog park but he goes ballistic when he sees another dog out the front window or when walking on leash and even if he sees one from the boot of the car when we drive past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

My little mostly- deaf elderly dog got a bad fright yesterday in the park from a perfectly friendly labrador who didn't even approach her. All that happened was that he ran by her at a respectful distance- and to her that was 'appearing out of nowhere' because she couldn't hear him- and then attempted to initiate play with my friend walking with me. She heard another dog barking for its toy and thought it was that lab being aggressive- she can just about hear extremely loud noises but can't seem to tell direction on them. So she got frightened for some reason.

Sometimes with reactive dogs it feels like one step forward, one step right back again. Couldn't fault the dog or his owner, both were absolutely polite. And then you look like you just have a cross yappy little dog, untrained, probably spoiled etc. They don't see that yes, she used to be very reactive, but I've spent years training her and then she was actually doing really well.. until the hearing went.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement