Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

How ridiculous would I be to impulse re-home a dog from the pound? There's one that's just grabbed my heart through his little picture on FB and won't let go, and he's been there ages.

My life is not exactly set up for a dog at the moment, but I'd make it work and the dog would be guaranteed a forever home with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

How ridiculous would I be to impulse re-home a dog from the pound? There's one that's just grabbed my heart through his little picture on FB and won't let go, and he's been there ages.

My life is not exactly set up for a dog at the moment, but I'd make it work and the dog would be guaranteed a forever home with me.

My in-laws impulse rehomed a poundie after they spotted a photo when I was scrolling through my FB news feed. Hes been there 4 years now, is roughly 7 years old and might as well be their menopause baby :P

If you truly know you can make it work, and you are happy to accept any temperament issues that may arise when the dog gets comfortable (resource guarding, grumpiness, fear of certain people etc) then I always say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Theres your answer!! :)

There is a dog in our rescue too, who is there longer than any other dog. He is just lovely, and he has been in a foster home for ages now, and thats working out really well for him, but its not a permanent home. I cant have him as he is a BIG dog, and my small insecure squirt of a pest terrier would not accept him :mad: Everytime I see an appeal on our site for a home for this dog, I feel so bloody bad

Maybe you could foster your boy until you see if you can indeed make it work, then if it doesnt work out, you could spend your time trying to find the perfect home for him? Anything to get him out of the pound!!

what breed is he?

Damn you both :P

He's a German Shep mix, about a year old. He was posted on one of the charity pages during the week, some of you might have seen him (with the pink nose)- his time is nearly up :(

I'd make it work, but I am still only renting and in a one-bed flat. My BF has just moved in with me so it'd be a tight squeeze...don't mind the dog on the bed though, Kayla used to sleep there. The dog would be alone 9-5.30 every day, but I'd be able to come home on my lunch. I'm a little concerned about separation anxiety and possible destructive tendencies because of all this, and won't get much opportunity to settle the dog before he's left alone. There's a boarding facility not too far from me that does daycare, I think, so that might be an option if I had to leave the dog by himself for longer than usual any day...

Just concerned that the dog might be alone a lot. I am working full time and trying to start my own business so not ideal timing- but he's GORGEOUS and I'd always put him first so would def make it work out. Just...lots of pros and cons to consider :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Let the dog off the lead on a quiet country beach last week. She raced around for about thirty seconds before heading into a patch of nettles. Have you ever seen a dog try to walk on its tail and ears? Limping with all four paws off the ground turns out to be a little difficult. I checked her over for thorns etc and gave her a big cuddle and she was fine inside a few minutes but oh, if I'd had an extra pair of hands to film and cuddle at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I was planning to get a cat "at some point", but not just yet ....

I was just looking at rescue sites to get an idea of what was out there ...

I saw Sammy's picture and immediately said OMG. That's my cat. I brought him home within a week.

Fourteen months on and I still fall in love with him again every single day. Best impulse decision I ever made in my life. Better than a lot of well thought out decisions actually...

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Raminahobbin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

He's a German Shep mix, about a year old. He was posted on one of the charity pages during the week, some of you might have seen him (with the pink nose)- his time is nearly up :(

I'd make it work, but I am still only renting and in a one-bed flat. My BF has just moved in with me so it'd be a tight squeeze...don't mind the dog on the bed though, Kayla used to sleep there. The dog would be alone 9-5.30 every day, but I'd be able to come home on my lunch. I'm a little concerned about separation anxiety and possible destructive tendencies because of all this, and won't get much opportunity to settle the dog before he's left alone. There's a boarding facility not too far from me that does daycare, I think, so that might be an option if I had to leave the dog by himself for longer than usual any day...

Just concerned that the dog might be alone a lot. I am working full time and trying to start my own business so not ideal timing- but he's GORGEOUS and I'd always put him first so would def make it work out. Just...lots of pros and cons to consider :/
    Oooh, I wanna see a pic of this heart stealer. :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Oooh, I wanna see a pic of this heart stealer. :D

Picture anseo!

Had a chat with the BF last night. As much as it pains me, absolutely pains me, I'm gonna have to let this lad pass me by.

I could make it work, but there's too many ifs and buts.

I can't afford a dog, but that was going to be ok because the BF was going to pay for everything- but since he's living with me less than a week there's still time to feck that up :P Plus, even though my landlord is grand with a dog, there's a feeling I've had for the past while that he might sell...if that happened, I'd be slightly screwed.

I made myself a (vague and easily broken, apparently) promise after Kayla a couple of months ago that I wouldn't get another dog until I owned my own home, as renting is just too insecure, especially when you have pets. It worked with Kayla because my mam took her a lot, but I've been told firmly that that's not an option for future dogs.

If this dog has even a hint of separation anxiety vocalising, the neighbours I have will go mad. If he is inclined to be destructive, I have no room to restrict him too- it's just a one bed flat. And I couldn't take hols at short notice to crate train him or settle him in.

GAH! I have to stop checking rescue pages.

Picture anseo!

Had a chat with the BF last night. As much as it pains me, absolutely pains me, I'm gonna have to let this lad pass me by.

I can't afford a dog, but that was going to be ok because the BF was going to pay for everything- but since he's living with me less than a week there's still time to feck that up :P Plus, even though my landlord is grand with a dog, there's a feeling I've had for the past while that he might sell...if that happened, I'd be slightly screwed.

I made myself a (vague and easily broken, apparently) promise after Kayla a couple of months ago that I wouldn't get another dog until I owned my own home, as renting is just too insecure, especially when you have pets. It worked with Kayla because my mam took her a lot, but I've been told firmly that that's not an option for future dogs.

If this dog has even a hint of separation anxiety vocalising, the neighbours I have will go mad. If he is inclined to be destructive, I have no room to restrict him too- it's just a one bed flat. And I couldn't take hols at short notice to crate train him or settle him in.

Ahhh, I couldn't help but visualise a white/cream dog. But I remember him, such a soft little face!

And I know the feeling, I have three dogs and still look at rescue pages (I'm awful!) but just imagine... when you have your home... all the doggies you can adopt!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

For what it's worth I think you have made the right decision. He's not at all happy about the person taking his photo being in his space and a nervy GSD could be harbouring any number of behavioural problems. If you don't have the space, time or resources to deal with these then he's really best left to someone who does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

.. I did a thing.

zz7xOq3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Trying to decide whether to call the pound about our neighbours dog or not. The dog is just left to roam the street, pretty much 24 hours a day. Husband left for work at 3am this morning and the dog was still sat outside the house on the pavement. It's always running out into the road and following other people walking their dogs.

I think they bring it in sometimes. They're nasty people though, the guy recently smashed the girls car windscreen with a bat! So I won't be approaching them myself.

Not sure what's a better life for the dog, roaming the street most of the time or heading to the pound :(

Trying to decide whether to call the pound about our neighbours dog or not. The dog is just left to roam the street, pretty much 24 hours a day. Husband left for work at 3am this morning and the dog was still sat outside the house on the pavement. It's always running out into the road and following other people walking their dogs.

I think they bring it in sometimes. They're nasty people though, the guy recently smashed the girls car windscreen with a bat! So I won't be approaching them myself.

Not sure what's a better life for the dog, roaming the street most of the time or heading to the pound :(

That would depend on the pound...a lot of them have charities working with them so check that out maybe?

They sound like horrible people :( poor pooch

Raminahobbin, could you PM me the name of the site that he's on please?

Picture anseo!

Ah I've been agonising over that dog myself. Thinking the sams yourself... Should i just take him on impulse!
    Tbf we'd take him in a heartbeat except our garden isn't fenced in yet. Its not getting done until around June. My heart is broken over him though. He's in my local pound and our next rescue is going to be a gsd anyway as they're the dogs I have experience with and love and we finally have the space for one. Unfortunately we have so much space that its gonna take a while to get it completely fenced in. Feel desperate over him with his little nose.

Ah I've been agonising over that dog myself. Thinking the sams yourself... Should i just take him on impulse!
    Tbf we'd take him in a heartbeat except our garden isn't fenced in yet. Its not getting done until around June. My heart is broken over him though. He's in my local pound and our next rescue is going to be a gsd anyway as they're the dogs I have experience with and love and we finally have the space for one. Unfortunately we have so much space that its gonna take a while to get it completely fenced in. Feel desperate over him with his little nose.

could you just do a temporary smaller fenced in bit? Could you put up a line to which you would attach him when he's outside, til you get the area fenced in?

When his time is "up" at the pound, is there a rescue organisation going to take him in????? :eek:

He's a beauty. A nice GSD in a shelter/rescue is not easy to find...

aonb wrote: »
    Raminahobbin, could you PM me the name of the site that he's on please?

Done ;)

Oh christ he's a dote. I'm in Kildare, but I'll be in Kilkenny anyway Friday morning, I was so tempted to go the extra half hour and get him. I cannot stop checking the page to see if he got a home, I can't believe there's been no interest in him so far :(
    aonb wrote: »
    When his time is "up" at the pound, is there a rescue organisation going to take him in????? :eek:

He's a beauty. A nice GSD in a shelter/rescue is not easy to find...

The charity that work from this pound don't have a premises, they rely on fosterers. They are full to bursting at the moment, and this dog is (inexplicably) the longest resident in the pound at present, so if space must be made for new dogs, he'll likely be first on the block.

It's awful...but I will be *exceptionally* surprised if it comes to that. This particular charity dig deep and make miracles happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know i'm always ranting and raving about eejit parents but stupid parent aside Bailey is so GOOD. I know I always say he's a bratfaced divil but today he had an autistic child go from hugging and loving him to having his hair pulled, being pinched and really whacked on the head and the little girl shouting. He just stood calmly waiting for her to love him again. Obviously I wouldn't put him in a situation like that if I could help it(!) we polity said our goodbyes as soon as we got a chance because it wasn't fair on the dogs. Parents can be so carless!!! :mad: ....but he's just so good and thats why we love him! :o

tk123 wrote: »
    I know i'm always ranting and raving about eejit parents but stupid parent aside Bailey is so GOOD. I know I always say he's a bratfaced divil but today he had an autistic child go from hugging and loving him to having his hair pulled, being pinched and really whacked on the head and the little girl shouting. He just stood calmly waiting for her to love him again. Obviously I wouldn't put him in a situation like that if I could help it(!) we polity said our goodbyes as soon as we got a chance because it wasn't fair on the dogs. Parents can be so carless!!! :mad: ....but he's just so good and thats why we love him! :o

Poor Bailey - what a good dog. I did Riding for the Disabled for years, and you know we were always convinced that the riding school ponies KNEW that their disabled riders were different, and had to be taken care of.
    Ive seen some little yokes of riding school ponies (god love them all) being terrors with rotten little riders, but we never had an issue with a single pony when in our RDA groups
    so betcha Bailey knew that he had to make an exception for the little autistic child.
    But yes, agree with you viz non-dog-owning-parents for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My cats are gone awful jealous lately, as I'm typing this Peach is trying to headbutt my phone out of my hands. She's not making it easy! She also gets extremely jealous if Dude gets on my lap first. Last night I was lying on the couch and she was lying across my ribs, dude snuck up behind and cuddled in behind my neck. The hissy spitty fest she had when she noticed him!
    Dude also refuses to let me and the OH beside each other. He has to be between us at all times! Jealous critters.

• Advertisement

I drop the car seats at the weekend for the dogs and put them back up during the week so my laptop back etc is out of sight. Anyways I was just putting them back up there and unclipping the straps I use to tether the dogs and it's the last time we'll have a strap for out for Rebel :( Today was our last drive in the car for a walk together because of them moving :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Benson has another lump:(, this time on the top of his tail. Off to the vet tomorrow. 3rd time for lumps to be looked at, hopefully it's nothing again.

Ah poor Benson. I freaked out last time Bailey was left in lol! :o

Booked in for this afternoon. I'm glad I found it when I did, our vet goes on maternity leave this week, I know there's other practice vets but she knows his lump history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My 12 year old Indy is in the vets at the moment, she has recently diagnosed hypothyroidism, and has been having breathing difficulties. So she was dropped off early for bloods to be taken before her medication, then again afterwards. They are then x-raying her throat, and then also removing a large lump from one of her mammary glands, that grew more than 1cm in less than 2 weeks :(

Poor girl, she's such a sweetheart. She was spayed when she was 3 years old, but had already had at least 2 litters by that stage, so apparently the spaying would make no difference to preventing that type of cancer.

Phase 1 of garden transformation is happening as I type this, even though my back is killing me I'm sooo excited... because it's all for my doggies! We're knocking down the old shed at the back, which will nearly double the size of the back garden

Seriously considering getting artificial grass down when it's all done, seeing how happy my little lads get when they're on grass just makes me wanna do it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hope Benson's lump is ok borderlinemeath :)

Kovu was acting the idiot last night, what's new I guess! I was in the sittingroom watching tv at about 1am and I heard a sort of scrabbling noise so I got up and looked out the window, thinking he had been at it but slipped off it. Nooooooo, no, the little furry demon was on the roof digging at the slates. And then he seen me and decided he wanted to get down so went fit to burst at his heartbreaker meow which means he wants something and he wants it now. So had to go out in my slippers with a torch to coax him over the apex and down to the shed the other side to jump off safely.
    Then calm as you like he walks up to my bedroom and tramps his big dirty feet all over my bed. :pac: Had to squish in next to him after 2 and he thanked me by walking on my tummy at 5am to get out over me.

I don't know what his climbing obsession is, ladders, fences, gates, shelves, anything like that he'll walk-climb up like a person would.

That pink nosed gsd is gone into foster and has a home lined up in Sweden! So happy for him! :)

Poor Benson was very funny in the vets yesterday. It was quiet when we went in, we were the only ones in the waiting area for a few minutes so Benson sat down beside me. Then a woman with a nervous enough springer came in, and when she sat down the springer jumped up on her lap for reassurance. Benson looked at her for a while and then decided it must be the thing to do, so up on my lap he got and hugged into me :o. All myself and the other woman, and the receptionist and the vet nurses could do was laugh, I didn't even have to hold him, he balanced himself, leaned in and draped his head over my shoulder! He's always been the type to look to Coco for guidance and will usually copy whatever Coco does here.

He got samples taken from his lump, which the vet says looks and feels cyst-like, but if worst case scenario happens and it's a bit more sinister then he would have to get his tail removed as there's not enough surrounding tissue to ensure that all malignant cells are removed and enough skin to close a wound. :(

• Advertisement

Poor Benson - try not to worry too much for now - easier said than done! !

Lucy is the same in the vets up on the chair beside me - even better if we're by the window and she can put her head on my shoulder and gawk out at passers by...then slime my head when she turns around! :p Bailey just lies down with his head on his paw. The last few times I've been in with him I've been on the verge of having murder with people over their out of control dogs annoying him - last time a guy let his (mesh) muzzled Akita approach Bailey only for her to snap at him.... again and again! :mad: I was about to ask the nurse to reschedule us to a later appointment but then they left!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement