Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

fingers crossed for benson that the sample comes back as a cyst :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    Poor Benson - try not to worry too much for now - easier said than done! !

Lucy is the same in the vets up on the chair beside me - even better if we're by the window and she can put her head on my shoulder and gawk out at passers by...then slime my head when she turns around! :p Bailey just lies down with his head on his paw. The last few times I've been in with him I've been on the verge of having murder with people over their out of control dogs annoying him - last time a guy let his (mesh) muzzled Akita approach Bailey only for her to snap at him.... again and again! :mad: I was about to ask the nurse to reschedule us to a later appointment but then they left!

Some people just don't have a clue with vet etiquette or how to even let there pets be around other dogs. After the springer a really nervy GSD was dragged in - with a mesh muzzle that he was constantly trying to get off. The receptionist was saying to her that if she doesn't need it then to take it off because it was completely stressing the dog out. So that was fine, but then he started doing that high pitched stress whine/shrieks so the owner kept him up at the top of the reception desk. Then a little white dog came in and immediately went into aggressive barking mode to the GSD :mad:. Yet the GSD owner was giving out to the GSD because he was straining and pulling like crazy, rather than trying to get his attention away from the aggressive dog. The white dogs owner sat down beside us, but beside the weighing scales so all the dogs that needed to get weighed got a load of aggressive barking from him. There were plenty of other seats but he seemed oblivious to the trouble his little dog was causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Argh. Vet waiting rooms.

My dog had had surgery for cancer and came out of the vet's and was handed over to me to be brought home... and she proceeded to DRAG me over to every other person in the room. Never done it before. Luckily there were few dogs there. She just pulled over to each person, nudged their hand, and then went to the next. She doesn't normally pull on lead like this but for some reason she felt that every single person needed a tail wag and a nudge. I was hauling on the lead going "I am so sorry."

She gets uncontrollable diarrhoea if she gets foods she can't tolerate (anything with chicken, beef, bread, various other things). I was telling someone in the waiting room about this, and he starts shovelling dog treats into her. She had them eaten before I could drag her away, the waiting room was full so we were sitting right next to each other with the dog at my knees. That was a fun night for cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

The best vets waiting room disaster I ever saw was someone bringing their rabbit in just in their arms... No box or anything. A few of the dogs were on long leads and were able to get over to sniff at it before their owners realised.

The woman with the rabbit went ape shouting about how easy it is to frighten rabbits to death and how they need to control their dogs... Fair enough but if you're that worried put your rabbit in a crate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The best one i can remember is ..
    This man arrives with a little dog named JJ and he was running around the waiting room like a mad thing so they asked the man to put him on a lead.. Next poor JJ's nerves got the better of him and he started to fart the place down - the man was using a lighter trying to burn the smell away!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Would luposan be one of the better joint supplements out there?
    A friend of mine has a German Shepard pup, he must be around 9-10 months old now, he was getting stiff in the shoulders and refusing to walk lately and the vet diagnosed with growing pains but said he will have hip problems when he's older (even though his parents hip score was good from what I remember). Would it be worth giving some sort of supplement now while he's still growing to help support him some bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A friend of mine has a German Shepard pup, he must be around 9-10 months old now, he was getting stiff in the shoulders and refusing to walk lately and the vet diagnosed with growing pains but said he will have hip problems when he's older (even though his parents hip score was good from what I remember). Would it be worth giving some sort of supplement now while he's still growing to help support him some bit?

Has Panosteitis been mentioned?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I've been giving Lucy Luposan since she was a pup. YuMove do one for young dogs too - http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumove-young-active

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

VonVix wrote: »
    Has Panosteitis been mentioned?

Yep that's the one, couldn't think of the name! I know the main cure is rest but I figure supplements wouldn't do any harm either

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Or the time I brought my dog to the vet and she pooped all over the waiting room. I went into the consulting room and left her in the waiting room and came out. I was mortified. Funny thing she was let to use the toilet before we left.

• Advertisement

Yoooooooo! Lucy is down 2kgs - I only had to cut her food back by 50g's!

Bensons latest lump is benign but it still needs removal as it's quite inflamed and if it gets any bigger it may be difficult to close the wound on his tail, so he's in next week for removal.

My GSD is weird about food, he doesn't eat much from a bowl (both metal or plastic), he sooner eats and shows enthusiasm for food if I hand feed him instead. Even then he can be like "ok, I'm finished" and if you give him another piece of kibble at this point he takes it in his mouth and then spits it out on the floor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Bensons latest lump is benign but it still needs removal as it's quite inflamed and if it gets any bigger it may be difficult to close the wound on his tail, so he's in next week for removal.

Glad for you that it's benign. If he's prone to lumps in that area, just a thought (which may sound insane) but can they, when operating, put a tissue expander under the skin to generate some give over time in case the cyst reoccurs so that closing a future wound is easier? I know they do it in humans when they're planning some surgeries. It gets injected to inflate it slowly.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Glad for you that it's benign. If he's prone to lumps in that area, just a thought (which may sound insane) but can they, when operating, put a tissue expander under the skin to generate some give over time in case the cyst reoccurs so that closing a future wound is easier? I know they do it in humans when they're planning some surgeries. It gets injected to inflate it slowly.

They've all been in different places, before I got him he had a cyst on his penis, then a few years ago he had one on his ear, and then one on his lower chest and finally this one on his tail. He'd need a full body expander!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Anyone noticed how dogs seem to attract unwanted advice? Have any of ye got unwanted advice before?

I'm not talking about 'my dog was ill behaved and someone calls me on it', that's fair enough. If that happens I just stand mortified and start babbling apologies and try to go off and train to prevent it happening again. Or the nice lady who stopped me to remind me to pick up my dog **** (I was just waiting for the Big Scary Motorbike to go by before I grabbed the plastic bag but it looked like I was sitting there doing nothing.) Fair play to her, offered me a bag and all, nice to see people concerned about their local community.

But stuff that is out-of-the-blue advice that is also wrong. Like when someone fails to call off their own off-leash dogs and tells you to let yours off leash too so they can "sort it out." Or someone who stopped me on the road to tell me it was 'cruel' to walk my dogs on-leash on the road and I should let them be free. Or the attitude that it's mean not to let a dog wander. Not to walk a dog off-leash, but they were giving out about people who don't put the dog out the door to be off by themselves. Or how I should get the barking dog who is petrified of cars, and a 'big stick' and hit the dog with a stick every time a car goes by and that'll teach her to be afraid of cars and thus not bark at them?

So what's your weird advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

I was over visiting my mum the other day and the cat wanders into the back garden with a bird in her mouth.
    My mum was really annoyed she did it, she eats about 3 times a day at least and it certainly wasn't for hunger. I tried to argue that its just cats doing their thing but mum is threatening to put a bell on her collar. What do you guys think of this?

Anyway aside from this, I found it strange the way she rolled in it. She came into the house while I had the unfortunate job of carcass disposal, and she was dirty and smelt like dead bird.
    I almost gagged and had to hoosh her outside again.
    Is it normal for cats to dirty themselves like that? I've had dogs do it, but never a cat. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Every cat who is allowed outdoors should have a bell on when they are out. That's my opinion on it. Some people argue that collars are not safe for the cat but I would argue that there are all sorts of risks involved with the choice to let a cat wander. Dead cats on the road from accidents are a common sight. I don't know anyone who had a cat injured by a collar. Just make sure it fits properly and is quick release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

VonVix wrote: »
    My GSD is weird about food, he doesn't eat much from a bowl (both metal or plastic), he sooner eats and shows enthusiasm for food if I hand feed him instead. Even then he can be like "ok, I'm finished" and if you give him another piece of kibble at this point he takes it in his mouth and then spits it out on the floor. :rolleyes:

Charlie used to be very similar, you'd hand feed him something and he'd go 'oh treat' and shovel it down, put the same thing in a bowl and he could ignore it. Iv a cat now that won't eat out of a bowl, has taken a notion that she'd much rather eat out of a flat plate. :rolleyes: Same cat wrinkles her nose up and walks backwards when you hand her a piece of food, that stems from my silly mother sticking a glass of wine under her nose as a kitten :rolleyes:

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Charlie used to be very similar, you'd hand feed him something and he'd go 'oh treat' and shovel it down, put the same thing in a bowl and he could ignore it. Iv a cat now that won't eat out of a bowl, has taken a notion that she'd much rather eat out of a flat plate. :rolleyes: Same cat wrinkles her nose up and walks backwards when you hand her a piece of food, that stems from my silly mother sticking a glass of wine under her nose as a kitten :rolleyes:

Haha I'm just not used to that kind of behaviour, especially when my two other dogs would eat my arm if I offered it on a plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have spent a lovely weekend in Dublin at a scent workshop, and had the pleasure of Bailey's company all weekend, such a sweet boy, when not working he just chilled out on the bed suckling his ball. Oh yeah, TK was there as well :p

:D Ghost was brilliant! I loved when he complained about another dog having a cool toy... and he only had a cup to play with!!! :pac:

Aww, I really wanted to attend that but would want to do the level 1 workshop first! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

:D Ghost was brilliant! I loved when he complained about another dog having a cool toy... and he only had a cup to play with!!! :pac:

Lol I know, how badly off he is.

VonVix, I didn't do the level 1, there were a few of us who hadn't, and it was grand. Having a double decker bus to search was very, very cool.

There's a facebook post going viral, an East Meath politician had posters erected with the restricted breed list and their pictures along with the post

"As a dog owner I'm absolutely delighted that signs I've asked for, with pictures, showing the dangerous breeds of dogs have been erected over the past week. It still amazes me that some people think these dogs are ideal family pets."

I saw it last night when there was over 6,000 posts on it, now there's almost 75,000! Every post is disagreeing with his viewpoint, mostly his viewpoint that he's "amazed" that people think them ideal pets and that he refers to them as dangerous.

What doesn't help is that an awful lot of the posts on his page are abusive and insulting. I posted last night so it's lost in the masses just giving him my viewpoint on the RB list and how Sweden have repealed their legislation. The top post on his page which disagrees with him has over 20,000 likes. He really has managed to put his foot in it with dog owners, not just in his own constituency but Ireland, UK and further afield.

Yeah can't believe how far that's gone over night! I was shocked when I read it - he replied at one stage and dissapareard. I'm raging I'm on a call now in work because I wanted to hear what they said about it on the radio!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Yeah can't believe how far that's gone over night! I was shocked when I read it - he replied at one stage and dissapareard. I'm raging I'm on a call now in work because I wanted to hear what they said about it on the radio!

You've got time - he's not on yet (maybe after the break). I might be putting off making a call to listen...

What station? I've probably missed it now.

98fm

• Advertisement

He's annoyed me already by saying they're dangerous. His friend apparently got an Akita puppy that was a "fluffy bear" but when the dog grew up the friend couldn't control it and so got it rid of it.

ARGH - he just called it the dangerous dog's list!

Oh, he doesn't believe in "thoroughbreed" dogs. He's into cross-breeds. He thinks that crosses aren't susceptible to the diseases that plague pure breeds.

Spitting mad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement