Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm finding it hard to listen to the DJs talking shiite, let alone the guests:mad:. They couldn't pick the dogs out of a line up themselves, yet speak like an authority on the matter.

The only thing I agree with is the level of abuse yer man is getting. Name calling and violence never help...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They annoy me on 98fm though - Jeremy always tries to wind people up.

I posted last week about Bailey being boxed the head by a child. What if he had of tried to move away - she was holding his harness and could have been knocked down. I'd have a lawsuit on my hands and one of her parents would probably be on the radio now saying all golden retrievers are dangerous :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

This is madness. I'd hoped for a sensible discussion on the pros and cons of the legislation and the inaccuracies of his statement. We're just going round in a sprial of emotive accusations and hypotheticals.

Sure how could you have a rational discussion when you had the hysterical woman screaming that the RB owners were bad parents and shouldn't be allowed have children? Fair enough her child was bitten, but she has no idea why it happened, she says her child didn't do anything, but she wouldn't have the slightest idea how to read the dogs body language and she wouldn't have a clue that having a toddler in the same room as a terrier that was probably highly uncomfortable with the child, (or possibly any child) is a bad idea.

As for those pair of tools that present the show, you would swear they'd never broken a bye-law or even crept a mile over the speed limit, or been in a lock in after hours in a pub! They make out that we are such a law abiding nation! As if!

Edited to add: Although some of the pics that have been posted to the facebook page of kids crawling all over and hugging their pets made me flinch. I'm all for raising children and dogs together but there's some lax parenting going on out there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

You can't win. According to them you shouldn't let any dog near a kid... but if you don't let your RB dog near your kid then you don't trust it and shouldn't have it at all. Logic fail. [though I agree there are some crazy pics of kids cuddling dogs]

The nonsense about dogs on the list locking their jaws too... and then saying that the list is made up of larger dogs that are harder to control - the lab next door is bigger, stronger and less well-trained than my GSD. It just makes no sense.

I gave up. It was a litany of myths and falsehoods about RB dogs with zero logical, sensible discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I think I heard something just now about the Joe Duffy show doing an item on RB and this sign this afternoon. I only had it on for background noise while I was otherwise occupied but keep your ears pricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just got Cream back from the vets after yet another dental, poor thing has gingivitis right up to his roots :( he's currently happily stoned and walking Kn circles. Love seeing them after anaesthetic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.mellett/posts/10153719735667620

Ha!
    Better retract themselves fairly quickly!
    I met the sweetest, most beautiful dog the other day, a GS/Malamute cross, owners only recently moved to the area here and have seen them walking a few times. The most beautiful striking blue eyes, plus a manner to sit and wait for his owner while she talked to me, a rescue dog as well! Must get a photo for ye.

They're even talking about it on one of the U.K. Barf FB groups. 'Don't go to Southern Ireland because that's the law'...I did say it's not enforced where I am and how embarrassing it was to which they comiserated!
    Victoria Stillwell has commented on it and just saw a share from Steve Mann. Maybe he'll end up shooting himself in the foot because he's brought attention to how ridicilious RBL really is.

230,000 !!!! comments in just over a day. Insane stuff.

• Advertisement

:( Look what I found the dogs eating this morning in the bushes. They weren't put out by me telling them to leave it either. I'm slightly worried about the mould on it - like at best it's just mouldy food but it could have anything on it? WHY would somebody scatter that in bushes when there's a bin 2 seconds away. My friend's dog has kidney damage - possibly due to eating something in the same park..which has me imagining all sorts. I collected all I could see so no other dogs would get at it and brought it home with me on the off chance one of them is sick and needs to go to the vets.

385596.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

tk123 wrote: »
    :( Look what I found the dogs eating this morning in the bushes. They weren't put out by me telling them to leave it either. I'm slightly worried about the mould on it - like at best it's just mouldy food but it could have anything on it? WHY would somebody scatter that in bushes when there's a bin 2 seconds away. My friend's dog has kidney damage - possibly due to eating something in the same park..which has me imagining all sorts. I collected all I could see so no other dogs would get at it and brought it home with me on the off chance one of them is sick and needs to go to the vets.

385596.JPG

Are they a bread/cereal type of substance?
    That's strange because I caught my lab eating something in our garden and it looked exactly like what's in your picture.
    I think she managed to eat one piece, but I picked up two more. I don't know what they were, but they weren't from our house and it worried me a bit in case it was something dodgy.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Are they a bread/cereal type of substance?
    That's strange because I caught my lab eating something in our garden and it looked exactly like what's in your picture.
    I think she managed to eat one piece, but I picked up two more. I don't know what they were, but they weren't from our house and it worried me a bit in case it was something dodgy.

I'm assuming some weird large kibble or maybe mixer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I'm assuming some weird large kibble or maybe mixer?

Whatever ended up in our garden was soft, spongy, same shape and bread like. Can't figure out what it was. I get really paranoid if they ever manage to eat something strange, but she was fine anyway. I was like yourself, I saved them in case she ended up getting sick.

Yoooo - just got worm counts back and all clear! "I always worm my dogs with X and they never get worms" ... "Well I worm mine with thin air and it's working great too" :p

Bailey disappeared this morning - I turned my back for like 60 seconds and he was gone. Vanished into thin air. Blew the whistle and nothing so had a look around for him - maybe he was blocked from sight by a tree or down behind bushes etc etc Getting a bit more worried I blew the whistle louder and he appears at the gate on the other side of the river!! There's a little wall by that gate that people dump bread or food etc so he'd jumped down, ran across the weir, then jumped out and ran out the gate for whatever he could smell! The brat lol :p

385828.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Met a woman walking a lovely pit-bull type puppy on a harness in Dublin. And I hauled my dog away from her and my friend and I pretty much ran in the opposite direction. She pointed out her dog was friendly, and I feel really bad. He very obviously was friendly, we were just walking two terriers who weren't good with close-up other dogs. They can pass them on a street fine, but they're nervous, and it's better to just keep them walking, particularly if it's a friendly dog who will want to say hello.

So if that person is on here I am taking the opportunity now to apologize! I feel really bad because it looked like the stereotypical 'scared of your dog' reaction.

I was at the lights the other morning by our road and one of the vets walks by.. usually I think "ooops I'm a bit late for work!" but I roared laughing because they were walking a dog and carrying two poo bags - you know the maroon drontal etc free bags they have in the vets? I can just imagine taking a handful of bags every day if I worked there and never having to buy bags!! I get 1000 at a time on Amazon lol! :p

Benson had his lump removed last Thursday, all went well, but there's no margin for error with it healing, there's just not enough skin. He was out of it with the aneasthetic on Thurs, so while the collar was an annoyance, he wasn't doing too much to be overly bothered by it.

Since then it's been a different story. The buster collar is driving him demented, but it can't come off, he's straight to the wound, trying to lick or nibble at the bandage. The bandage fell off first thing Saturday morning and he did his best to get the wound resulting in him rubbing the hard plastic edge of the buster collar on it:eek:, so a bit of bleeding but nothing burst. Luckily he had a check up on the stitches on Saturday morning so they rebandaged and taped it so it should stay on a bit longer this time. and I covered the sharp plastic edge of the collar to stop him rubbing. The other problem is bringing him for a walk, he's so unhappy on lead when the others are all running off lead but needs must. I had to distract him last night and let himself sneak out with the others, but he's gone out now on lead with a big huffy head on him. Only another 6 days of torture to go!

Edited to add. Poor fellas backside looks hilarious, it's shaved about an inch up at the top of his tailbone and about a third of the way down the tail. A bit like a poodles bum!

I've seen something fashioned for a tail wound that wouldn't heal because the dog kept wagging before, he cut up a milk bottle and taped one end up above the wound so it was held on and had the other end free for air to get in, would something like that help I wonder in case he goes mad rubbing it again?!

• Advertisement

It's right at the top of his tail, so I don't know how I'd get it to stay on! Plus he'll need room to poo:P Although I was thinking of putting some pipe insulation on it and taping that on. I have the pipe insulation around his cone and it's keeping it from scratching his tail so at least that's something!

You need a cone or something around his waist like a tutu :pac:

You need a cone or something around his waist like a tutu :pac:

That's exactly what he needs :D:D
    Bloody thing is in the most awkward place to protect.

We got the official report from he TICA cat show that Dude was part of in April, I badly miscalculated his points.. Turns out he did so much better than I expected! He is now a triple grand master! So delighted with him :) peach and cream are both grand master so he has two ranks higher than him, so he has full permission to Lord it over them!

We were out on a walk earlier.. Go to cross the road at a corner and some punk kid coming around the corner, assumes we're continuing toward him says (about Lucy)....

"Get that away from me!!"
    I said something like "yeah you're grand - we're crossing the road and they're not near you"
    Kid "Does it bite??"

Well my mum was never so insulted lol!!!! ":eek: :mad: Does she BITE?! No she doesn't bite - DO YOU?!?"

All the way up the hill "I can't believe that cheeky thing asked if Lucy bites?! "
    :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

We were out on a walk earlier.. Go to cross the road at a corner and some punk kid coming around the corner, assumes we're continuing toward him says (about Lucy)....

"Get that away from me!!"
    I said something like "yeah you're grand - we're crossing the road and they're not near you"
    Kid "Does it bite??"

Well my mum was never so insulted lol!!!! ":eek: :mad: Does she BITE?! No she doesn't bite - DO YOU?!?"

All the way up the hill "I can't believe that cheeky thing asked if Lucy bites?! "
    :pac: :pac:
    Haha if anyone ever asks if my boys bite my response is "well... he has teeth."

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Cookie has white ears and the vet told me to put sunblock on them on a sunny day. Problem is, he hates it and won't let me near him when he knows it's coming. So I realised I would have to surprise him...

This morning as I was sitting on the sofa, he jumped up and came over to me for a chin scritch. As always, he closed his eyes and and enjoyed it, and I saw my moment...

With my other hand, I reached for the bottle of baby sunblock, knocked the lid off and sprayed a bit onto my fingers. I then slowly, gently raised that hand over his head...

In an instant his eyes flashed open and he jumped off the sofa and stared up at me from a safe distance with a hurt "what are you DOING" look on his face.

Foiled again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Dandelion6, we had a grey horse with pink bits, that we had to keep covered in suncream. He HATED to have cream put on his ears/ around eyes/muzzle area. The solution we found was (1) ZERO perfume (2) warmed the cream in our hands, so it was at body temp, then lots of stroking/chatting, then lash the cream on while massaging/stroking/chatting. Bit trickier getting cream on with a small animal like a cat - but we would put the cream on a small piece of cloth too - might work with the cat? (Now Im off to glare at my cat who is pawing at the window to bring a dead bird into the house to give me :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

aonb wrote: »
    Dandelion6, we had a grey horse with pink bits, that we had to keep covered in suncream. He HATED to have cream put on his ears/ around eyes/muzzle area. The solution we found was (1) ZERO perfume (2) warmed the cream in our hands, so it was at body temp, then lots of stroking/chatting, then lash the cream on while massaging/stroking/chatting. Bit trickier getting cream on with a small animal like a cat - but we would put the cream on a small piece of cloth too - might work with the cat? (Now Im off to glare at my cat who is pawing at the window to bring a dead bird into the house to give me :()

I had a chestnut mare with a pink nose and had the same tactics, but also always bought a spray bottle rather than a cream. I wouldn't spray, just take the top of and pour a bit out on my hand but the consistancy was thinner so easier to spread a bit! The nivea kids one was the one we used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I've changed my user name just to confuse you all, and so people know i'm not a man lol. A change is as good as a rest they say and I have outgrown the old name.

AJ
    CB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement