Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

muddypaws wrote: »
    I contacted them months ago to see if we could hold a dog event there, still waiting for a reply, would be a fab place I think.

It would be great, there's so much space, facilities, and it's the little things, like bins on the trails for your poo that make it so welcoming for dogs.

.Lucy was passed out on the ground and barley lifted her head as they lifted the pram in etc etc
    There were loads of dogs there yesterday, 2 on each side of us and one behind us and yet our 3 settled down no problem. The table behind us left and another arrived with a little dog and only when our food arrived and 3 red heads popped up that the woman with the dog exclaimed "oh how lovely there's 3 of them!" They must have just looked like a big lump of red hair under the table:D

There's more photos at the bottom of the link :)

http://ardgillancastle.ie/paws-at-ardgillan-dog-friendly-cafe/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our vet is out sick so lucky Bailey gets to escape going today and will be keeping us in suspense for a few more days! I think he's ok so hopefully I'm right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm on a major get fit kick at the moment, just did a 10km cycle, but it just feels so weird and wrong to go out without a dog. Doing canicross every 2nd day though, I really, really can't imagine going for a run without a dog - what would be the point? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I had my first delivery of sprat this morning since deciding to try raw. I'm traumatised.

I counted and there are about 100 tiny fish in each of those 1kg bags. 2,000 fish spread around my kitchen floor while I tried to re-bag for individual meals. It was a massacre. My kitchen will never smell clean again and despite washing my hands about 50 times, I'm still convinced I can smell fish. :(

Give me tripe any day.

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I had my first delivery of sprat this morning since deciding to try raw. I'm traumatised.

I counted and there are about 100 tiny fish in each of those 1kg bags. 2,000 fish spread around my kitchen floor while I tried to re-bag for individual meals. It was a massacre. My kitchen will never smell clean again and despite washing my hands about 50 times, I'm still convinced I can smell fish. :(

Give me tripe any day.

Yeah same here. Last time I got sprat it was a giant frozen block so I split it all up etc etc - took ages. The 1kg bags are too big for my two - it's too much to feed the 1kg over a few days because they go a bit stinky so I have to defrost the 1kg, rinse off the fish blood and divide up.. I have a good few kgs left that I just haven't been bothered feeding lol

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah same here. Last time I got sprat it was a giant frozen block so I split it all up etc etc - took ages. The 1kg bags are too big for my two - it's too much to feed the 1kg over a few days because they go a bit stinky so I have to defrost the 1kg, rinse off the fish blood and divide up.. I have a good few kgs left that I just haven't been bothered feeding lol

Thank god I'm not alone. I thought I was a total wuss. The smell, the blood, the smell, the slime, the little fishy heads staring accusingly at me.... did I mention the smell? *retch*

Thank god I'm not alone. I thought I was a total wuss. The smell, the blood, the smell, the slime, the little fishy heads staring accusingly at me.... did I mention the smell? *retch*

If you cut the corner off the bottom you can run water thru the whole bag and rinse off the blood so it's not as bad dividing them.
    After I replied earlier I did up the lunch boxes for tomorrow and there was 2 eyes in the rabbit mince! :eek::P

I usually take the claw end of a hammer to a semi frozen block of fish and it breaks up without too much hassle. Albeit some get beheaded! And I ALWAYS wear gloves.;)

Had a very funny coincidence today, I got a call from a prospective new daycare client, and they came up to visit with their dogs this evening. It was the family that we sat next to in Paws Cafe in Ardgillen on Sunday and had exchanged pleasantries with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

cut a lemon into four, and rub the quarters on your hands to get rid of fishy smells :) Put a bit of coarse salt on your hands at the same time, and it will make your hands nice and soft :p

Lemon. Check. Salt. Check. My hands are fairy soft but I can still smell fish - it's obviously psychological. Out damn'd spot! ;)

Good tips, thanks aonb, borderlinemeath and tk123!

• Advertisement

I wonder if rubbing tomato ketchup into your hands would work, the way it does for fox poo on dog fur?

Steel soap is the way to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I wonder if rubbing tomato ketchup into your hands would work, the way it does for fox poo on dog fur?

And tomato juice is what they use when it comes to skunk spray. Good shout that.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Give me tripe any day.

I opened a couple of threads from the home page at the same time. This was the first new post and I thought I was reading this thread:

The "Here's What I Had For Dinner Last Night" Thread

:eek:

Tomato sauce takes off the smell of fox poo?!

This whole situation has been a massive education. I NEVER knew that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I'll be getting some...

I hate tomatoes and would puke of I touched ketchup... I just showed my colleague a photo of last night's mince with bugs bunny's added eyeballs and they were a bit shocked lol! I did warn that view discretion was advised! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

VonVix wrote: »
    And tomato juice is what they use when it comes to skunk spray. Good shout that.

when we lived in the States, we were dog sitting a friends spaniel, who was a total nutter. We lived where there was a swamp and woods behind the house, he used to love going in there. One night he came home REEKING of skunk! Sent OH off to the local cash and carry type place, to buy a crate of ketchup. Put dog in a babybath, and squirted bottles of ketchup all over him - he LOVED it - slurp! Did the trick. So might be worth trying for de-fishy-ing??
    As a p.s., the next day the dogs owners were due back, I tied him up in the yard all clean and smelling pretty - little b***ard slipped his leash and went skunk hunting :eek: must have been a dead skunk in the woods, cause I caught up with him 5 mins later, and yup, he was rank again - back to the store for another crate... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

It would be great, there's so much space, facilities, and it's the little things, like bins on the trails for your poo that make it so welcoming for dogs.

Oh good god! And ye what? Just drop ye guts into these bins? In broad daylight? Dogs must love that. Bum licking sods that they are.

I think Ghost and Theon are working on a secret escape plan. They are gob boxing and Theon is chewing away on Ghost's name tag :eek:

• Advertisement

I didn't think I'd ever be shocked by reading something about a breeder but I saw a post on Pete the Vets facebook page (It was originally on Pups not Profits page) about a breeder who is sterilizing female pups and carrying out vasectomies on male pups at 7 weeks of age so the new owners can't breed from them to protect the breeders profit. Although of course when questioned it's to "protect the breed". (even though it's a crossbreed:rolleyes:)

Apparently it's been going on for years and has caused lots of health problems and some cases have gone to the VCI who deem the operations "unethical". Apparently the breeder isn't telling the new owners outright, merely saying that the pups had had to have "a minor surgery". Although you would imagine they would find out if they went to have the dog neutered or indeed, if they tried to breed from it.

There's a doodle here in our area that was spayed at 8 weeks before they took her home. And that was seen as a good thing because she definitely wouldn't grow much bigger and they wouldn't have to take her to get spayed - like it saved them money/hassle and the breeder was great for doing before the pups went to their new homes. Like WTF :eek:

tk123 wrote: »
    There's a doodle here in our area that was spayed at 8 weeks before they took her home. And that was seen as a good thing because she definitely wouldn't grow much bigger and they wouldn't have to take her to get spayed - like it saved them money/hassle and the breeder was great for doing before the pups went to their new homes. Like WTF :eek:

I knew I remembered somebody talking about a doodle pup being spayed at a young age, couldn't remember where I'd read it though. And you thought you actually misunderstood as it's so unbelievable. Guaranteed it's from the same breeder. I know a few doodles from this breeder and none of them are without issues. Apparently she uses "grower homes" too, where she gives bitches that she wants to breed from to people/friends/acquaintences who will let her use them so she doesn't have to register as a breeder and be subject to inspection.

I did my first Parkrun this morning with Darcy, he is the first dog ever to take part in that particular parkrun, and got lots of attention from everyone. Very proud of him, took it all in his stride.

I knew I remembered somebody talking about a doodle pup being spayed at a young age, couldn't remember where I'd read it though. And you thought you actually misunderstood as it's so unbelievable. Guaranteed it's from the same breeder. I know a few doodles from this breeder and none of them are without issues. Apparently she uses "grower homes" too, where she gives bitches that she wants to breed from to people/friends/acquaintences who will let her use them so she doesn't have to register as a breeder and be subject to inspection.

What about the vet who's doing it?! When somebody told me that the one we know 'already had the job done' they thought it was fantastic that the breeder was so great to have gotten it done :eek:

I got so pi$$ed off earlier.. I didn't really post about it much because I was in denial lol :o but we thought Bailey had damaged his cruciate a few weeks ago :eek: so had to restrict him etc etc He got the all clear on Thursday so I had them out for a real walk this morning letting him off lead in safe places e.g. where he couldn't run up a cliff after a squirrel!! :rolleyes: Anyways he was off lead in sniffing at a fence when a boy started running at him with his arms outstretched from behind and gave him a fright. I asked him to stop and that he'd frighten him and get bitten - thinking the saying bitten loudly word would make his mother tell him off - no she kept walking to the point I didn't think the woman was even with them. He went at him again and I had to raise my voice telling him to stop..I told him not to run at strange dogs because it was dangerous.... Then as they passed she starts slagging off my Dublin accent....in a park in working class Dublin. I was fuming!! :mad: When I saw them I'd put Lucy back on lead in preparation to decline their request to pet her - nope they ran at Bailey uninvited instead :mad: On the flip side I've had 3 year olds asking 'please can I pet your dog'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I was driving around nearby town and them home through 2 small towns and the amount of dogs being walked between 2pm and 4 pm was shocking, it's roasting, pavement boiling (I know I took my shoe off to shake out a stone and it burnt my foot, limestone paving in places)several dogs looked under real pressure in the heat, one was being dragged along foam around its mouth, the owner looked insulted when I tried to give him(the dog) some of my water.
    Are people really that dumb?

mymo wrote: »
    Are people really that dumb?

Most definitely!! I just know I'll see the same now on the way home and people jogging dragging dogs along too! I've to take Lucy for her annual check-up at 6:30 otherwise she wouldn't be going out until later in the evening when it's cooled down a bit ... assuming they'll want to go for a walk later - often they're settled for the evening and think I'm stone mad lol! My mum ordered me to bring a fan down for them yesterday because they were too warm! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You are all terrible dog owners. Mine are in the paddling pool with the kids!

I counted 6 dogs on the way home! Tools. My two are out in the shade with me now eating their little 'ice pops'

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    You are all terrible dog owners. Mine are in the paddling pool with the kids!

My black one is sitting inside sensibly refusing to come out, while the border terrier is lying outside in the middle of the sunshine. I'll have to move him before he gets heatstroke. Mad dogs and englishmen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement