Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

are there pubs along the canal? for lunch? what canal? what stages - between towns/villages? sounds like a lovely idea for a friends/dogs/walks/outing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aonb wrote: »
    are there pubs along the canal? for lunch? what canal? what stages - between towns/villages? sounds like a lovely idea for a friends/dogs/walks/outing!

Royal Canal in Kildare is where we stopped, near Enfield. Fureys pub, the plan is to go West to Mary Lynch's I think. Then we need to look into it more to see where else we can go, East or West.

Fureys has a great car park, and there is another larger car park near it. You come off the N4 before the toll if heading West out of Dublin, along the old N4.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186614-d2403130-Reviews-Fureys_Bar-County_Kildare.html

We are actually looking into the possiblity of coast to coast using the canals as much as possible as a charity thing, with dogs obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah I was wondering what part of the RC it was too because the section of it down here is a dump lol! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I'm staying out at my parents' place in Wicklow for a couple of weeks and have the crew with me. It is absolute bliss for them (and me) out here. The house is next to a forest so the walks are fantastic. They love racing around there and getting covered in muck. The terrain is steep enough, so it is an enjoyable workout for me as well! They are also showing signs of getting primeval! A siren went past in the distance yesterday, and one of the boys started wolf howling. I have never seen him do that before, and he is well used to sirens in the city.

I did a charity cycle thing this morning, 40km with only the one hill - so they said, they meant only one hill from hell, plenty of others though. Exercise like that always seems like such a waste without a dog, especially when I then had to come home and get the dogs out for a run. Not sure I'm going to be able to walk tomorrow.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    I did a charity cycle thing this morning, 40km with only the one hill - so they said, they meant only one hill from hell, plenty of others though. Exercise like that always seems like such a waste without a dog, especially when I then had to come home and get the dogs out for a run. Not sure I'm going to be able to walk tomorrow.

I know what you're saying, I'm not often inclined to exercise without the dogs. Partially because they will need to be walked anyway, and also because I just feel a bit weird without them. Obviously, if I'm away somewhere exploring or have a specific reason to exercise (like you had with the cycle), I'll do it but it's so much better with the dogs. I'm planning on bringing my lot up our local mountain before I head back to the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Since my dogs got that bit older I've been finding it hard to walk without them. I bring them for walks, obviously, but it's very, very slow. Lots of stopping for sniffs and waiting for someone to catch up and toddling along. Clocked 2kph on the dog walk app thingy. :)

So I have to go out for walks by myself and it's tough watching the faces at the window as I head off.

Anyone know of a doggy backpack that would hold a labrador? :P Might get a bit of weight training in while I'm at it.

Latatian wrote: »
    Since my dogs got that bit older I've been finding it hard to walk without them. I bring them for walks, obviously, but it's very, very slow. Lots of stopping for sniffs and waiting for someone to catch up and toddling along. Clocked 2kph on the dog walk app thingy. :)

So I have to go out for walks by myself and it's tough watching the faces at the window as I head off.

Anyone know of a doggy backpack that would hold a labrador? :P Might get a bit of weight training in while I'm at it.

Funnily enough, I have a dog carrier that would take a labrador lol. Its the type that military or police would use for parachuting or helicoptering into places :D

Our rescue has a 'pram' like thing that is specifically for dogs! Big enough for a lab too I think. When we went to UK and our dog had just had knee replacement, we thought to buy one so we could still bring him about... so they are out there. Heres an example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+pram

actually I thinki I know someone selling the one very similar to the first one on this link - if you are interested, PM me and I will get the details! You could bring your Lab, AND get your walk AND get some weight training in too :)
    (mods, hope its ok to do this?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm dog sitting for my uncle for ten days, the dog has me played for such a fool! I let her into the house, get her dinner ready and she jumps straight onto the couch with big sad sulky eyes. I try bring her to her bowl - nothing. Bring to bowl to her - nothing. Eventually after half an hour of praising and pretending to eat her food myself she finally eats the bowl. So I give her a tin of wet food as a treat for eating all her food.. Straight up off the couch and dives in - bowl cleared in 5 seconds!!
    Last laugh is with me though, I'm grooming her tonight! The sulking will be unreal!

• Advertisement

I've signed up for the evening course in dog grooming at Dun Laoghaire College, and start next week. It's not accredited or anything, but seems like a nice hobby course. You bring your own dog each week, so I'm going to bring the Westie. She is due a full groom again and I'd love to be able to do her myself as she hates being left in at the groomers. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

mosi wrote: »
    I've signed up for the evening course in dog grooming at Dun Laoghaire College, and start next week. It's not accredited or anything, but seems like a nice hobby course. You bring your own dog each week, so I'm going to bring the Westie. She is due a full groom again and I'd love to be able to do her myself as she hates being left in at the groomers. I'm really looking forward to it.

Westies are one of the more complex dogs to groom, if you want to do the "classic" style on them... and they are notorious for HATING their feet being touched!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Westies are one of the more complex dogs to groom, if you want to do the "classic" style on them... and they are notorious for HATING their feet being touched!

And also are notorious for being sneaky snappers even if they are the best behaved dog in the world at home... as I learned the hard way today. Ow. :( :pac:

mosi wrote: »

Let us know how you get on! I'd love to be able to trim my two's paws all fluffy and perfect instead of raggedy and messy looking.. Also Lucy's tail is trailing on the ground again so I have to tackle that before we start standing on it again(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

SillyMango X- is that because of the famous Westie Mind Control Trick?

I mean, my girl will make a beeline for my most expensive shoes when she gets bored, and then dance around the house holding them because that always makes me get up and pay attention to her. She bothers the cat. She can grump at other dogs if she gets frightened. She rolls in smelly things. She stole an entire box of donuts. Yet she is by far the best behaved dog in the world.

No, no, giving her the last bit of steak, that I wanted to eat, was definitely my idea. Not hers. Absolutely.

It looks like I'm throwing myself in at the deep end by learning grooming skills on a Westie :eek:
    Mine hates her feet being handled. She can have issues with itchy feet/allergies so I put a tea tree/aloe vera spray on her her. She hates it. She also can be snappy sometimes, although I know her push buttons pretty well now so it doesn't happen that often. I sometimes call her Mrs Begbie, in reference to Robert Carlyle's character in Trainspotting! Since I've had her, I've met so many people who either have or have had Westies, who say they can be like that. On the plus side, she's very good being washed and is ok with brushing as long as it is made fun for her. I'd love to be able to bring some of the others (not at the same time) as they have varying coat requirements, but I don't know if that will be an option.
    Anyway, I'm really looking forward to learning some new doggy skills, and it will be a good taster to see if I would be into doing further grooming courses. tk123, will definitely keep the forum posted on how I get on. The OH is looking at doing one of their photography courses, so maybe he can get some nice shots of Lexi after her sessions...or at least use his photography skills to make her look good if I do a botch job :D

There was FROST this morning in the park!! Winter is coming!

tk123 wrote: »
    There was FROST this morning in the park!! Winter is coming!

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    that wasnt FROST that was just a HEAVY DEW :o
    Sun is shining here, Im in denial

aonb wrote: »
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    that wasnt FROST that was just a HEAVY DEW :o
    Sun is shining here, Im in denial

I thought it was dew too but it crunched under my feet! I wanted to go back from my hat and gloves lol

sigh!

• Advertisement

Haha, I love when it gets colder, means I can get out running the dogs

muddypaws wrote: »
    Haha, I love when it gets colder, means I can get out running the dogs

I'm fine with the weather getting colder - I just don't want ME to be cold lol!! :pac: I do love a walk when it's crisp and frosty and it's great when the grass isn't full of wet dew for months to soak the dog's tummies!

I met a sheltie today, first time seeing one in person and oh my god I want one!! Think I've found my new breed to obsess over! :pac:
    I'm very appreciative of it becoming cold because with showers and dryers on all day grooming, it's nice to be comfortable instead of sweating all day :D

I met a sheltie today, first time seeing one in person and oh my god I want one!! Think I've found my new breed to obsess over! :pac:
    I'm very appreciative of it becoming cold because with showers and dryers on all day grooming, it's nice to be comfortable instead of sweating all day :D

I have two of the fluffy things. :D They should come with a warning label though... they're like crisps, you can't just have one. I honestly believe they are a breed I will always have in my life.

VonVix wrote: »
    I have two of the fluffy things. :D They should come with a warning label though... they're like crisps, you can't just have one. I honestly believe they are a breed I will always have in my life.

Oh I'm jealous! The one I met today was like a Pomeranian size lassie, I just fell in love! Still pulling her hair out of my own mind you after blasting the undercoat but so worth it :D are they heavy shedders or just blow the coat?
    I could just imagine you having a whole army of them running around the place :P

Oh I'm jealous! The one I met today was like a Pomeranian size lassie, I just fell in love! Still pulling her hair out of my own mind you after blasting the undercoat but so worth it :D are they heavy shedders or just blow the coat?
    I could just imagine you having a whole army of them running around the place :P

Mine aren't heavy shedders (nothing compared to my GSD anyway) though most likely because they are regularly brushed by myself. :o

Lucy got up on a park bench beside some random old man today.. Luckily he had a dog so he was delighted at the attention :pac:!!!

We made a new friend in the park the other evening lol!! A tiny little dog couldn't get their ball from the river... Lucy was in the river but decided it'd be more fun to pick the ball up and set it back down in the water than bring it back :rolleyes:... I called her back in and then asked Bailey if he'd get the ball (I got her back first because he would have just given it to her lol)... He swam out and got it then dropped it beside the little dog! He got a few claps and now the owner -a big huge guy - says hello to us when he sees us lol! Normally people with tiny dogs assume my two will eat/flatten them! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Had Benson at the vets for yet ANOTHER lump! All looks OK though, vet is fairly confident from the sample taken and from the feel of it that it's a lipoma rather than anything sinister, and at least this one is on his chest so if it grows too big it can be easily removed, unlike the last one on his tail.

Also, we had the biggest hedgehog in the garden that I've ever seen over the weekend, it was almost the size of a football when curled up. I haven't seen it since Sunday night so I'm hoping it scuttled off and found a safer garden to hibernate in!

• Advertisement

Do some vets always take samples if they think it's a lipoma or is it just with Benson's history? I found one on Bailey's chest a while ago and the vet was pretty certain it was lipoma and said it'd be very painful for him to take a biospy so just monitor it. Now I wasn't worried it was something dodgy or anything - I just brought him over for her to confirm what it was after that harmless bump that turned into jawgate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement