Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    Do some vets always take samples if they think it's a lipoma or is it just with Benson's history? I found one on Bailey's chest a while ago and the vet was pretty certain it was lipoma and said it'd be very painful for him to take a biospy so just monitor it. Now I wasn't worried it was something dodgy or anything - I just brought him over for her to confirm what it was after that harmless bump that turned into jawgate!

I suppose it depends on the history, I'd be a worrier about Bensons lumps, just in case. I suppose it's because I know of a few dogs where their little lumps turned into cancerous tumours and I don't want to take the chance. Is a small sample aspiration the same as a biopsy though? I would have thought a biopsy would be more intrusive and perhaps have some tissue removal rather than just cells? And certainly be more painful. Also depends on where the lump is, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

So big hedgehog has stayed put and reappeared tonight driving the dogs mad. Let out for final wees and they all start crazy barking at it. On one hand I'm delighted as I think they're amazing little creatures, on the other it's winding the dogs up big time, and it's only taken a couple of days for it to become habitual to search for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have one in the garden occasionally, Tiffi goes mad, Ollie barks and keeps distance, one of the cats however gets very vocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I try and keep the dogs away from the hedgehog but they usually require me to solemnly inspect it before coming back. I walk out, go "Hmmm. Yes. That is indeed a hedgehog" and then they come as soon as they're called.

I think there's some strange canine theory that I can recognize when it's in its dangerous, rampaging phase. You know those wild and terrifying hedgehogs.

Can't be good for the poor little thing, having all those loud noises and stress. Luckily they see it very rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My mum was gasping and OMGing so much watching Emmerdale that the dogs got concerned and Bailey started to cry at her lol!!! :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd really love some Indian runner ducks but I know 3 of the cats and the small dog would not tolerate them. Small dog has killed rats and nearly got a friends chickens a couple of times. She hates small things, birds, butterflies, insects, spiders, squirrels, even tried to get a pheasant on a walk one day, except kittens, she loves kittens.

Oliver has forgotten how to walk on the wooden floor in my daughters room, other rooms are ok, it's just her floor. He is also having trouble with one ear, full of muck again after being clear all summer. Cost me a fortune in the vets last winter and nothing shifted it until it got a really good cleaning several times. Can't think why it would happen exact same time as last year, just hoping it clears up faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I wouldnt have thought a cat would be a threat to a Runner? If you had a drake Runner, he would probably see the cats off?!?

I have always had terriers and hens. It IS possible to get a terrier to leave your hens alone. Ive done it with a terrier that had a "red haze" when it came to small furry creatures! Just takes strictness, lots of LEAVE IT!, on the leash, cross voice and patience. By the time we were finished, that terrier would let the hens peck him on the bottom!!!

Now all my hens ignore the dogs and vice versa :)

2 of my cats bring home large rabbits regularly, and they have both gone after pheasants too. One even tried to scare off the ponies in the field outside the first time he saw them.

My small dog is a Lhasa Apso, cute and cuddly looking, but she has a very high prey drive, she stalks like a cat, and she's smart. No matter how much training I just couldn't trust her.

The bigger dog is afraid of ducks, he runs if they quack at him, but he's a but baby, and kind of a freak.

I'm home today watching daytime tv.... They've just had an interview about the new movie 'a street cat named bob' - the cat was on the couch the whole time chilled out lol! :D

:(:(:( My friend's beautiful retriever isn't well - kidney disease and now a tumour on her liver! Can't stop thinking about her since I saw her last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

just got 2 kittens, the were feral but have warmed to us, but we yet have to introduce them to our dog and cat, the brief meeting when I had my cat in my arms and she saw them through the open door was not good, she growled,,, the dog knows they are in another room and sniffs outside the door, they themselves have only just stopped hissing and spitting how do I introduce them to one another

I was here two years ago!
    My once-feral kitten, is now top cat in this house - all defer to her - dogs/hens/horses/humans :D

Your dog is already ok with cats - big help! Hes just sniffing at the door cos he knows something is in there! Gradual introductions are best - Just carry around the two kittens for a few mins several times/day while the dog is around. Eventually put them down, keeping the dog on the leash, he will be curious, keep a short leash on him, with usual commands to be gentle/careful if he approaches them.

My cat growls at any other cat on sight. If you can let the resident cat see the kittens (we have glass doors in this house - very useful!) - is it a male/female cat? How old are your kittens? Gradual introductions are best - in a small space where there is places for kittens to hide. Put some gloves on in case you need to scoop up resident cat :D You'll probably find its just curiosity or at the very worst, posturing, until resident cat sees theres no threat.

I wouldnt do anything with the dog/cat though until the kittens are WELL SETTLED in their new home, and with their new humans!!!

My friend let her beautiful retriever girl go today. I'm heartbroken for her. I knew last week that I mightn't see her again and gave her a kiss goodbye. Tearing up at my desk in work just thinking of her. :( The first walk we ever had with Bailey we met a girl with what we thought was a GIANT retriever - what had we gotten ourselves into lol!! She was so much darker than our blonde puppy (although they ended up looking like twins) as well and so cross with him lol - she was 5 and had no time for a bold puppy! :D I can just see her now barking at all the younger dogs keeping them in there place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My friend let her beautiful retriever girl go today. I'm heartbroken for her. I knew last week that I mightn't see her again and gave her a kiss goodbye. Tearing up at my desk in work just thinking of her. :( The first walk we ever had with Bailey we met a girl with what we thought was a GIANT retriever - what had we gotten ourselves into lol!! She was so much darker than our blonde puppy (although they ended up looking like twins) as well and so cross with him lol - she was 5 and had no time for a bold puppy! :D I can just see her now barking at all the younger dogs keeping them in there place!

Aw no, I am so sorry TK. I know how much she meant to you. Fair play to them for making the decision, such a hard, hard thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Kovu has his weird skin condition acting up again so I put a babygro on him to stop him licking his belly.
    He's absolutely delighted with it :D

Z9aPafYl.jpg?1

Bailey pulled a 'Sophie the giraffe' plastic teething ring out of the weir the other morning - it's the greatest toy in the world as far as Lucy is concerned lol!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Poor Peach has a very swollen eye this evening. I posted a thread a while back about her getting these big globes of jelly (not sleep) in her eye, she's been getting them more frequently lately but I've been keeping it clean and it didn't seem sore. Tonight her eye is swollen shut, the lids are very red and it's streaming mad with tears, poor pus :( looks like another vet trip in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Took Sooty for a walk in the fields yesterday evening & he disappeared off on me for a few minutes. As we got close to home I got a real bad smell & was convinced I had stepped in something. Into the house, checked shoes & all good, however smell was terrible. Finally smelled him & he had done it again!

When he finds dead animals for some reason he rolls around in them. Had to give him a bath & smell still lingered rest of the day.

Happened one day at the beach a year or two ago he found a horses leg, had to bring him into the sea & wash him

LCD wrote: »
    T
    he found a horses leg

:eek::eek:

Lucy is a roller too. I got her a new collar last week and was worried she might retaliate by rolling in something! Luckily I managed to interrupt her when she did lol :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

LCD wrote: »
    Happened one day at the beach a year or two ago he found a horses leg, had to bring him into the sea & wash him

We had a foster pup who literally rolled in EVERYTHING. Dead animals, dog poo, fox poo, mouse wee.... She would hop out the car, zero in on the smelliest thing on the farm and be off like a shot to roll. Luckily she was short-haired, teeny tiny, and didn't mind being popped into the sink for a quick scrub.

God help me if it had been the big hairy dog - washing her is like wrangling a depressed mammoth.

• Advertisement

Bailey rarely does it since the stinkbomb arrived lol!! On her very first walks as a puppy she rolled on a shore outside the park - like even at that young age she was a stink connoisseur! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Bailey rarely does it since the stinkbomb arrived lol!! On her very first walks as a puppy she rolled on a shore outside the park - like even at that young age she was a stink connoisseur! :p

For some reason it was the fact that the harness/lead/collar also got covered in mouldy bird feathers/ decaying fecal matter/my other dog's wee that used to bother me more.:rolleyes: I miss the little terror now, but I don't miss having to bath them every time I come home from a walk!

My old dog was like that - would find something revolting to roll in no matter where we went - I spent a fortune on KETCHUP (skin allergies, couldnt wash him with so many things) - eventually got a friend to buy a case of ketchup in the cash and carry :cool: Funnily, the old dogs nephew (!) never rolls in anything! He does find something revolting to EAT though whenever we leave the house (i.e. twice/day - without fail!!)

Noooooooooo!! I don't like ketchup....and have gagged before when it splashed onto my dinner lol! :rolleyes: I'd rather the poo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Anyone elses dogs allergic to the rain??? Opened the door to let them out to do their business when I got in home, I ran back out to the car to get something and there were the two of them sat in the door way looking out as if to say 'that one is mad of she thinks we're going out in that!' needless to say a walk was off the cards so we did some extra training to tire them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Home from work yesterday evening & still a bad smell in the house. Convinced it was still the dog despite me washing him, but no he smelt good...well as good as a dog can smell.
    Walk time & went to the cupboard to get lead & nearly gagged with the smell as I opened it. He had been wearing his hi viz vest/bib when he rolled in whatever he rolled in. I just put it straight in the outside bin.

The trials & tribulations of dog ownership!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

We went to a charity dog show today. We didn't place in any of the classes but won 1st prize in the raffle. A Brandy dog food hamper, now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

We went to a charity dog show today. We didn't place in any of the classes but won 1st prize in the raffle. A Brandy dog food hamper, now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

Into the donation bin in MaxiZoo!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Into the donation bin in MaxiZoo!! :pac:

Third prize was a pop up dog crate which I probably could have used lol.

• Advertisement

Bells21 wrote: »
    Anyone elses dogs allergic to the rain??? Opened the door to let them out to do their business when I got in home, I ran back out to the car to get something and there were the two of them sat in the door way looking out as if to say 'that one is mad of she thinks we're going out in that!' needless to say a walk was off the cards so we did some extra training to tire them out.

Mine are only allergic to the back garden rain, smaller one doesn't like walking far in rain, but will walk unless its really heavy, bigger dog doesn't give a ****...
    Few drops out the back and they act like it'll melt them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement