Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

So brought my 8 year old terrier x to the Vet last week. Hes been limping on his rear leg on and off for quite some time. Mostly off but lately increasingly more often he's lifting the leg. He had General anaesthetic for xrays of hip and knee. He had the other cruciate replaced last year.

Over Christmas he was off this leg (hind) for 3 or 4 full days. Then he was sound again.
    After the trauma (6 weeks post op total rest) of the last knee job, Ive been very reluctant to do anything with him, as its intermittent limping.

So, not fair to the dog, brought him to the vet. Major examimation - manipulation etc. She wanted to get clarification thus the 2nd visit and xrays. Hips are fine. No arthritis. Knee joint looks ok. So basically zero clarification. Shes thinking partial rupture of the ligament. He was fairly stressed by all of this. So this a.m hes off the leg again, phoned the vets, they said bring him in to see him in hobble-mode. Of course, on all 4 legs in the surgery :eek: MAJOR manipulation - she thought it could be luxating patella since its intermittent and hes sound again, but she couldnt luxate it manually. So again pointing to ligament. Shes going to bring the xrays to the ortho surgeon who did his other knee a year ago. We will discuss it after that.

Basically two options. Total rest for 6-8 weeks to see if it will recover.
    Or, surgery to repair whatever they find there. Followed by 6 weeks of total rest. The thing is I'd prefer not to have to go down the surgery route, but is there any point? Will we waste 6-8 weeks resting him, and then have it 'go' again, or should we just bit the bullet and get it repaired.... Anyone have a small dog who had a ligament issue, that recovered from rest alone??

Hes an anxious/stressy/clingy little chap, it will be a serious ordeal for him to go through this again .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh aonb I could have written some of your post about Bailey! I thought he'd improved and was maybe reluctant to come on evening walks because it was dark and there had been fireworks or something scared him etc.. I brought him for a checkup to see what the story is and his knee is sore again so vet started him on cartrophen. I'm the same in that I don't want him to have another surgery after all he's been through but like you I'm wondering if we're maybe delaying the inevitable? Or what if i'm doing something wrong? I think I might take him for an ortho opinion and see what he thinks. Also the ortho guy would (I think) be able to give me better advice on managing it - do I use the brace or not (vets 'couldn't say either way' i.e. we don't want to be sued if his leg falls off), is some off lead time ok if he's not limping afterwards or should I be resting him more etc etc

And was drives me mad is people telling me he's 'so unlucky' when he's a bit sore like this - like he's not allowed to ever get sick or injured like other dogs! >_<

PS my iPad keeps locking up so this is probably full of typos lol! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh aonb I could have written some of your post about Bailey! I thought he'd improved and was maybe reluctant to come on evening walks because it was dark and there had been fireworks or something scared him etc.. I brought him for a checkup to see what the story is and his knee is sore again so vet started him on cartrophen. I'm the same in that I don't want him to have another surgery after all he's been through but like you I'm wondering if we're maybe delaying the inevitable? Or what if i'm doing something wrong? I think I might take him for an ortho opinion and see what he thinks. Also the ortho guy would (I think) be able to give me better advice on managing it - do I use the brace or not (vets 'couldn't say either way' i.e. we don't want to be sued if his leg falls off), is some off lead time ok if he's not limping afterwards or should I be resting him more etc etc

And was drives me mad is people telling me he's 'so unlucky' when he's a bit sore like this - like he's not allowed to ever get sick or injured like other dogs! >_<

PS my iPad keeps locking up so this is probably full of typos lol! :p

GREAT to read someone else is in the same boat, and thinking the same thoughts - thank you!
    Is Baileys issue his cruciate also?
    What is the brace you mentioned?
    Im going to wait to see what the ortho vet says - he will want to see him also - I will discuss the medication options I think....

aonb wrote: »
    GREAT to read someone else is in the same boat, and thinking the same thoughts - thank you!
    Is Baileys issue his cruciate also?
    What is the brace you mentioned?
    Im going to wait to see what the ortho vet says - he will want to see him also - I will discuss the medication options I think....

Don't know if he maybe did something to the cruciate at some stage and there's been some wear or damage tbh which is why i want somebody who looks at cruciates and joints all day to poke at it lol! :p He hurt himself in June and at the time I checked if a brace/support would be ok to try and it was. He was brand new after using it for a weeks weeks and carefully restricting him and building him back up. Last time he was sore it was a sore back and his knee seemed fine..but he's always lame on the same leg - this would have been the worst of the 2 legs before they were straightened. I'd rather know either way so I know what I'm doing though. ATM he a tiny bit stiff in the evenings so not as bad as he was before which is why I thought he deserved and oscar for his acting skills - running into the crate or hiding behind my mum/under the table when I ask if he's coming for a walk in the evening! The devil lol! He loves his morning walk and isn't stiff after it.

From reading random pages yesterday smaller dogs seem to do better with just rest compared to bigger breeds.

Hopefully we're just worried over nothing!

TK123, Ive been looking at a brace online - I wasnt aware of this being a possibility - so will talk to the ortho vet about the possibilty of using a knee brace and pain meds as an option. We are going to visit our daughter abroad next month, so will need to put off any surgery until after that preferably, so a brace + meds + rest may be an option until then hopefully if the ortho vet agrees. Thank you very much for that :) Oh, where did you get the brace for Bailey?

For anyone else who is interested, here is a link to knee braces:

http://orthodog.com/index.cfm/products/cruciate-care-knee-brace/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Dog hair (specifically fine undercoat-type) in nostril.

Very tickly.

Can't grip it.

Nightmare.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

VonVix wrote: »
    Dog hair (specifically fine undercoat-type) in nostril.

Very tickly.

Can't grip it.

Nightmare.

I will match that with a dog hair splinter. Ouch ouch! Happens a lot when hand stripping!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Knine wrote: »
    I will match that with a dog hair splinter. Ouch ouch! Happens a lot when hand stripping!

I would like to add an infected hair splinter. Which I can't actually locate but can feel stabbing constantly. Magnesium paste is my friend!

aonb wrote: »
    TK123, Ive been looking at a brace online - I wasnt aware of this being a possibility - so will talk to the ortho vet about the possibilty of using a knee brace and pain meds as an option. We are going to visit our daughter abroad next month, so will need to put off any surgery until after that preferably, so a brace + meds + rest may be an option until then hopefully if the ortho vet agrees. Thank you very much for that :) Oh, where did you get the brace for Bailey?

For anyone else who is interested, here is a link to knee braces:

http://orthodog.com/index.cfm/products/cruciate-care-knee-brace/

I got ours from http://www.ortocanis.com/en/ my friend gave us a carpel support too - his wrist on the opposite side is sore from taking the weight.

tk123 wrote: »
    I got ours from http://www.ortocanis.com/en/ my friend gave us a carpel support too - his wrist on the opposite side is sore from taking the weight.

Thank you! We're off to see the orthopaedic vet tomorrow morning - more drama and major suffering no doubt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm so sleepy, I should probably get off the internet before anything I type starts to look less and less coherent.

Bailey is on the bench atm for evening walks - he doesn't want to go on them so I'm not forcing him..but I'd been using the excuse of him not coming to be a lazy bum and was still taking Lucy on shorter walks(!) She's a great walker once she gets going but if she decides she wants to sniff grass or a tree etc she puts the breaks on - even if I've pre-empted that she'd want to sniff and was leading her over to it - she stops dead and gives me a dirty look anyways lol :o Last week for a change I started taking her over to the little 'park'/walkway behind the church and just throwing her favourite ball on a rope (i attached a spare light to the rope so I can see it ;)).. Well she's absolutely delighted galloping around after it and playing tug with me rather than us trudging along! Proper quality time with her 1 on 1 instead of her being half of "Bailey and Lucy" lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's funny trying to get 1 to 1 time with our 3, Coco does abstain from a second run out if she's too tired so one of us gets her on her own for a while. Benson gets morning cuddles when I get up (about 2 hours before himself!) And Buddy sneaks in for bedtime cuddles. But it's impossible to get them for a walk on their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's funny trying to get 1 to 1 time with our 3, Coco does abstain from a second run out if she's too tired so one of us gets her on her own for a while. Benson gets morning cuddles when I get up (about 2 hours before himself!) And Buddy sneaks in for bedtime cuddles. But it's impossible to get them for a walk on their own!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just wanted to say how much i enjoy this thread, thank you all for posting it brings me many fond memories

How much slack would you cut a rescue in terms of how long it takes to get back to you /set things up?

I know how incredibly busy they are and I don't want to be pestering them either.

I know some people here work with rescues. Is there an average time it takes to get back to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

How much slack would you cut a rescue in terms of how long it takes to get back to you /set things up?

I know how incredibly busy they are and I don't want to be pestering them either.

I know some people here work with rescues. Is there an average time it takes to get back to people?

Are you waiting on homecheck? Depending how far you are from kennels it can sometimes take a while.
    If you've had homecheck there's no harm sending a quick text/mail in case you've fallen through the cracks.

nala2012 wrote: »
    Are you waiting on homecheck? Depending how far you are from kennels it can sometimes take a while.
    If you've had homecheck there's no harm sending a quick text/mail in case you've fallen through the cracks.

A very lovely cat went up on Fb looking for a home. We discussed him for a couple of days and then text the associated number. No reply. No problem. A text wasn't the best way to contact them in fairness. So I rang a couple of times over the next couple days, left voicemail and again heard nothing back. The cat had been put up a second time on Fb looking for a home at that stage so I figured maybe he'd already been homed (and he was) so that was grand.

Then a number of other cats and kittens went up on their Fb and since we always knew the first fella might not suit our home anyway and would be relying on staff to recommend a cat that would fit with us, we decided to contact them again and organise a home check, secure in the knowledge that if we passed the homecheck they would definitely have a cat to suit us. (Because they have loads).

I rang the number again but left no message and this time they called me back immediately. Even though I'm nowhere near the sanctuary, this lady was going to be in my hometown the very next day (Saturday) for the weekend and said she could call out. Talk about great luck. Told her I'd be there in the evening and then made sure not to make plans. I text her my address and didn't hear back.

Text her the next day (sat) to check she saw my msg and heard nothing until that evening when she let me know she'd been caught up with some work but she'd come on Sunday. I said that was no problem.

I waited in all day sunday, sending partner off on his own to walk dogs, do the shopping etc. (And cancelled dinner in my mams). Sunday evening I text to see what was happening and she let me know that she'd been called away on a family matter but would ring Monday (yesterday). No call yesterday and no call today.

Now I feel a bit stuck because I don't want to be forgotten about or fall through the cracks. Also I had been hoping I'd get up to the rescue at the weekend to meet the cats, I'll have to stay overnight and this weekend suited with a relative living around there.

At the same time, if she's run off her feet or worse, has had some bad news (family matter) I don't want to be insensitive by ringing and pestering her.

Partner thinks I should cut my losses and go through a different rescue. But I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt, that it was all just bad timing.

Sorry this is long and whingey. Just not sure what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

It does seem a bit strange that she hasn't initiated contact with you and you've had to chase her up.... Maybe give her the benefit of the doubt and if there's no contact by the weekend I'd move on to another rescue. It does seem strange though considering how overrun most rescues are. I would assume they'd jump at the offer of a good home.

I'd hold on too and give her the benefit - you never know what people have going on. It does sound like bad timing?

Both doggies in the vets earlier - Lucy getting her eye checked and got drops. Bailey for his cartrophen and I'd noticed his ear was very sore looking which is very unusual for him so he got drops. Since it was still bright he joined us for an evening walk... I turn my back for a second and the dog who's banned from jumping up and down weirs and has a manky ear ...is in the river with his head under the water scuba diving for a sunk ball lol! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Guys, I'm at my wits end with our little man Milo and his walks :( He's incredibly reactive to dogs and I feel that no matter what we try it just doesn't work :( He barks, lunges and drags when he sees one and no amount of crossing the road etc will help. We have beef as his bribe but it doesn't always work. I know people will say he needs to meet dogs and I agree but it's not fair to subject an owner and dog to that so I just don't know what to do as I couldn't risk him biting someone or another dog. We've done obedience training, agility etc but I'd just love any other suggestions :( thanks!

jellybear wrote: »
    Guys, I'm at my wits end with our little man Milo and his walks :( He's incredibly reactive to dogs and I feel that no matter what we try it just doesn't work :( He barks, lunges and drags when he sees one and no amount of crossing the road etc will help. We have beef as his bribe but it doesn't always work. I know people will say he needs to meet dogs and I agree but it's not fair to subject an owner and dog to that so I just don't know what to do as I couldn't risk him biting someone or another dog. We've done obedience training, agility etc but I'd just love any other suggestions :( thanks!
    Working with a reactive dog can feel like you're going nowhere fast because it is a slow process. Often the biggest problem is a lack of consistency from the owner/lack of understanding of a dog's threshold/timing of rewards... plus a few other things too! The beef, while you have the right idea in mind, is probably not working much of the time because your dog is over threshold and beyond able to notice the food is even there when the other dog is too close for your dog to be able to relax, focus on you and learn.

Sending you a PM of a resource that may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Whereabouts are you, maybe someone can recommend a behaviourist near you. In the meantime, you need to treat him before he goes over threshold, so before he gets too worked up to take a treat. Check out this website, its a great resource. http://careforreactivedogs.com/

Yeah I'll hold off. They put up more cats today and are still saying to give her a ring on that number. Thats why my partner was getting a little peeved. But I'll hold off and see if I hear anything over the next few days.

Jelly my dog had a right set back after the nightmare walk I posted about here recently. Had him on a lovely long walk on the weekend where he only met two dogs, both on leads and right at the start of the walk and he didn't calm down for the rest of the time we were there, well over an hour even though we saw no more dogs. I felt like crying all over again because he'd been coming on so well.

DBB told me about a book called click to calm by Emma parsons. I was looking for a training book for someone else and not for this reason but she said it's actually aimed at reactive dogs and takes them back to basics to begin again.
    Im going to get a copy for myself and try wiping the slate clean and starting again likes he's a puppy.

Thanks so much for your replies! His a clever monkey in that he'll be getting the beef to distract him before we meet the dog etc but his concentration can break so quickly and then the barking begins :( I also find it so difficult to hold his lead, "business in a bag" and give the treats, it's practically impossible as he's so strong.

Based on the Dublin/ Meath border so any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks again!

VonVix wrote: »
    Working with a reactive dog can feel like you're going nowhere fast because it is a slow process. Often the biggest problem is a lack of consistency from the owner/lack of understanding of a dog's threshold/timing of rewards... plus a few other things too! The beef, while you have the right idea in mind, is probably not working much of the time because your dog is over threshold and beyond able to notice the food is even there when the other dog is too close for your dog to be able to relax, focus on you and learn.

Sending you a PM of a resource that may help.

Would you mind pming me too?

Thanks so much for your replies! His a clever monkey in that he'll be getting the beef to distract him before we meet the dog etc but his concentration can break so quickly and then the barking begins :( I also find it so difficult to hold his lead, "business in a bag" and give the treats, it's practically impossible as he's so strong.

Based on the Dublin/ Meath border so any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks again!

Maybe work less with him while walking, but rather just stand in a field where there are people + dogs walking by. You can control your dog's threshold a bit better in that situation (i.e. if your dog reacts, you can do a U turn and walk the opposite direction from the offending dog), rather than in a situation where the distance suddenly gets closer between you and a strange dog as you are walking.

What gear (harness/halti/leash/etc) are you using on your dog? Would your dog prefer toys over food? What breed/how big?

Would you mind pming me too?

Muddypaws actually posted the link I PM'd jellybear. :p I have a terrible habit of PMing links rather than posting them!

That's a great idea re standing at watching! Will definitely try that :)

Using a harness and a training lead from wonderpaws. Have tried retractable and chain leads but I find this the best for controlling him as the length can be adjusted so easily.

He's a lurcher. He's quite tall and 23kg.

Here's the monkey himself!!

• Advertisement

Awh BuileBeag so sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I know exactly how you feel. It's so upsetting. Have come home twice this week very upset as I just want him to enjoy his walks and not become so agitated. It's very hard when people don't understand. I find myself constantly apologising for his behaviour which is terrible. Will definitely look for that book :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement