Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

jellybear wrote: »
    Awh BuileBeag so sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I know exactly how you feel. It's so upsetting. Have come home twice this week very upset as I just want him to enjoy his walks and not become so agitated. It's very hard when people don't understand. I find myself constantly apologising for his behaviour which is terrible. Will definitely look for that book :)

I know that's the awful part. You know they're not even able to enjoy themselves. My other dog is so happy out on a walk, big slobbery grin on her but this little guy is miserable.
    That website looks good too.
    We'll persevere. It'll be immensely satisfying to help them overcome this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

That's a great idea re standing at watching! Will definitely try that :)

Using a harness and a training lead from wonderpaws. Have tried retractable and chain leads but I find this the best for controlling him as the length can be adjusted so easily.

He's a lurcher. He's quite tall and 23kg.

Here's the monkey himself!!

With standing and watching, timing is very important. With my boy (leash frustrated, wants to greet every dog he sees) we do lots of 'sit, calmly look at the dog > then look at me > reward' so I'm treating him for focusing on me, rather than having his eyes on the dog.

Be mindful about giving beef if you know your dog *hasn't* seen a dog yet that you have seen. Some dogs can build the association that food = dog near by, which can sometimes make them unable to focus on the reward itself, but rather see it as a precursor of a dog being around the corner essentially.

What kind of "reactive" is your dog? Fearful? Frustrated? Does he have a preference as to what kind of dog he reacts to (small white dogs, big fluffy dogs, etc) or just anything on four legs essentially?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Yeah I try to hold out as long as possible but if he even spots a dog there's no way to get him back so I leave it until as close as possible to give him the beef. I feel it's the lesser of two evils in a way as if he sees a dog his attention is gone. It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is :(

He reacts to any dog. Doesn't matter what size or breed. I feel that he's being protective of me also so I've recently started saying hi to people in a cheery voice (they must think I'm mad!!) but I'm trying to show him they're not a threat if that makes sense. I've started to change my body language aswell. I know I used to get very tense and that feeds through the lead to him so I'm really trying to modify my reactions and make everything seem non threatening.

It's just going back to basics and keeping things positive. Some walks are better than others but it's just very difficult sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yeah I try to hold out as long as possible but if he even spots a dog there's no way to get him back so I leave it until as close as possible to give him the beef. I feel it's the lesser of two evils in a way as if he sees a dog his attention is gone. It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is :(

He reacts to any dog. Doesn't matter what size or breed. I feel that he's being protective of me also so I've recently started saying hi to people in a cheery voice (they must think I'm mad!!) but I'm trying to show him they're not a threat if that makes sense. I've started to change my body language aswell. I know I used to get very tense and that feeds through the lead to him so I'm really trying to modify my reactions and make everything seem non threatening.

It's just going back to basics and keeping things positive. Some walks are better than others but it's just very difficult sometimes.

It does take a lot of work, but works very well, but you have to start off far enough from the other dogs that he doesn't see them as a threat, which generally means sitting somewhere all by yourself with the dog, watching dog walkers in the distance, then moving closer. If he is reacting, then you are too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah poor Lucy :( Her 'friend' who has rep for being iffy with some other dogs but always pally with her arrived as we were getting ready to leave the park and owner let him say hello to her - fine one second and next he snapped at her! Bailey gave him a couple of barks as if he'd pre-empted he was about to snap - he normally barks at people he wants to pet him not dogs! She was grand - jumped away and stood in against big bro 'save me!' but got a fright. I think he would have attacked only that the owner was able to pull him away :(

So well done guys for actually trying to help your dogs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bought a carton of LACTOSE FREE milk by mistake. Can I give it to Tux the cat??? Sounds ideal - she loves milk, but dont give it to her because of the lactose...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I bought myself a Venus fly trap today. Always wanted one when I was a kid and never saw them for sale anywhere until I went to home base today looking for a house plant.

Hawkie is a good boy. Ran to me, forced my arms out of his way so he could climb on my lap to let me know he was about to throw up, so I was able to bring him to the bathroom and point his head towards the toilet in time lol.

VonVix wrote: »
    Hawkie is a good boy. Ran to me, forced my arms out of his way so he could climb on my lap to let me know he was about to throw up, so I was able to bring him to the bathroom and point his head towards the toilet in time lol.

God we don't get prior warning like that here! When Bailey slept upstairs with us the slightest suggestion that Lucy was about to puke and he'd be out of his bed in a second and standing at the door - 'let me out of here!!!' The other evening after filling up on muck and sticks she puked up on the couch - well Bailey was up and out of the room before the puke came out lol!!! At least he's considerate and will do his best not to puke his bed putting his head over - Lucy just pukes and goes back asleep whether she's lying in it or not :eek:

I've a slight problem tomorrow evening - Bailey has to go over and get his next injection at 6:30 - I overlooked the fact that he's afraid and therefore unwilling to go out in the dark! I'll have to outsmart him and trick him out :confused:

tk123 wrote: »
    God we don't get prior warning like that here! When Bailey slept upstairs with us the slightest suggestion that Lucy was about to puke and he'd be out of his bed in a second and standing at the door - 'let me out of here!!!' The other evening after filling up on muck and sticks she puked up on the couch - well Bailey was up and out of the room before the puke came out lol!!! At least he's considerate and will do his best not to puke his bed putting his head over - Lucy just pukes and goes back asleep whether she's lying in it or not :eek:

I've a slight problem tomorrow evening - Bailey has to go over and get his next injection at 6:30 - I overlooked the fact that he's afraid and therefore unwilling to go out in the dark! I'll have to outsmart him and trick him out :confused:

It's a thing he has started ever since he had HGE last month. If he doesn't feel good, or he feels afraid, he (literally) clings to me, I presume seeking comfort. Luckily I could tell he was about to upchuck because of his facial expression, if he could turn a colour he would be green.

Sure one of my other dogs spat up a bit of bile last night and I never heard it! Little ninja. One thing that gets me out of bed fast is the sound of a dog throwing up.

• Advertisement

One thing that gets me out of bed fast is the sound of a dog throwing up.

Same here - I can usually get a towel under, catch the puke, empty down the loo and be back in bed in 60 seconds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

We had a puker here the other day. Was very good in that he kept coming over and staring at me and then going to the door, just thought he wanted to pee so was sauntering over along until I heard the heaving sound. That made me move!! He then spent 10 mins grazing on grass which he seemed to enjoy at the time, but not so much the next morning when he was doing a number 2 and it was coming out just as it went in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

One of mine puked under a table... I want to say it happened this morning as we found it about lunchtime... but I'm not sure it hasn't been sitting there for a day or two. It was sticky. I feel a bit nauseas myself just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

A few months back, my cat sicked up a semi-digested, mostly still intact, mouse on the kitchen floor. Now that was a clean-up challenge, lots of stomach heaving, dry retching, eyes averted, oceans of kitchen roll, surgical gloves, ordeal! And all before Breakfast, I wouldn't recommend it. (Hope no-one is eating their supper) :D

That rescue never got back to me even though I left them another message.
    Frustrating. They keep putting up cats on their Fb desperate for homes and I have a really great one here.
    I'll find one closer to home at some stage just a shame really.

Yooooooooo! Two spaniels found me in the carpark in work. Very friendly and one wearing a collar so it was safe to assume they weren't travellers dogs. First I thought maybe somebody was collecting somebody else and brought the doggies along but it was busy with cars leaving so I called them over and rang the number on the tag and spoke to their frantic owner. Husband was out looking for them for an hour already so rang him next and he came and got them - they'd even rang the guards lol! I just popped them into the back of car and they settled into the vet bed relaxing. The older one didn't even look at the man when he came for them lol! :p

Getting a GoPro...

Haven't been this excited about buying something new for a while. Yes, of course it's for dog-related things. :D

Getting a GoPro...

Haven't been this excited about buying something new for a while. Yes, of course it's for dog-related things. :D

Don't buy their harness because it's CRAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

VonVix wrote:
    Getting a GoPro...
    I'm very jealous! It's on my list, along with a pet cam for the house. The harnesses for dogs can be picked up on Amazon for a good price too.

Don't buy their harness because it's CRAP!

Nope, not for that, but for making trick/obedience videos (so I can observe and critique myself when it comes to timing + luring, see how I can improve by being a spectator if you will, all that good stuff) without my dogs knocking over much more fragile piece of equipment. :p Just needed something hardy and lightweight.

• Advertisement

Nope, not for that, but for making trick/obedience videos (so I can observe and critique myself when it comes to timing + luring, see how I can improve by being a spectator if you will, all that good stuff) without my dogs knocking over much more fragile piece of equipment. :p Just needed something hardy and lightweight.

LOL you'll see loads of things once you record that you never even noticed before! :D

LOL you'll see loads of things once you record that you never even noticed before! :D

That's the hope! I feel I can usually spot lots of little things by watching other people work with their dogs.

I have been extremely lazy lately as well when it comes to training (I blame the long dark evenings) the past while, hoping it will give me a bit of motivation. :o

My two go mad when I take out the tripod! Many a training session has ended up recording them playing and jumping around instead of training lol :D

That's the hope! I feel I can usually spot lots of little things by watching other people work with their dogs.

I have been extremely lazy lately as well when it comes to training (I blame the long dark evenings) the past while, hoping it will give me a bit of motivation. :o

Canicross Ireland have a race at Lough Boora Discovery Park on February 12th, a nice 5k walk/jog/run :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    Canicross Ireland have a race at Lough Boora Discovery Park on February 12th, a nice 5k walk/jog/run :D

I'd love to but I'll be working. :( Canicross Ireland need to hit Corkagh again! :P

I'd love to but I'll be working. :( Canicross Ireland need to hit Corkagh again! :P

Watch this space ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

muddypaws wrote: »
    Watch this space ;)

I'm out running at bit at the mo anyway and I keep thinking about getting into canicross.... I'm just really confused about the different harnesses and I've no idea what I should be buying!

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I'm out running at bit at the mo anyway and I keep thinking about getting into canicross.... I'm just really confused about the different harnesses and I've no idea what I should be buying!

To start off, any kind of harness as long as its not front attachment, or with a strap going across the front, like a Julius K9, which impedes the shoulders is fine until you find out if you and your dog enjoy it and want to carry on. Its a real shame, there are clubs all over the UK where people can go and try different belts and harnesses before buying, but the sport isn't big enough here yet. However, when Canicross Ireland have events, we do have loan equipment for newbies, or if you want to have a look on the CI group on FB, there may be people running near you, that could lend you equipment to start off, we're generally a friendly bunch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sammie222

muddypaws many thanks i was also considering a harness for my beagle.

• Advertisement

Sammie222 wrote: »
    muddypaws many thanks i was also considering a harness for my beagle.

My dogs usually run in a Zero DC long harness, which Darcy is modelling so nicely here

but some people prefer shorter harnesses, which attach at the shoulder, rather than the base of the tail, such as the manmat that Hunter is wearing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement