Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Is there a 'main' thread relating to Canicross in this forum? There is a serious lack of awareness of the different dog sports around, considering how many households have dogs. Huge pity, really.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

VonVix wrote: »
    Is there a 'main' thread relating to Canicross in this forum? There is a serious lack of awareness of the different dog sports around, considering how many households have dogs. Huge pity, really.

No there isn't, but yeah, maybe an area for dog sports would be handy, agility, flyball etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

When you're on your way to the vet hospital with a dog who is suddenly blind, siezing, rolling in her own vomit unable to stand or control her limbs...

And the gardai pull you over for 15 minutes on an insurance etc. check while your friend shows them every document they ask for.

And you're 7 minutes from the vet hospital, and the dog is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Latatian wrote: »
    When you're on your way to the vet hospital with a dog who is suddenly blind, siezing, rolling in her own vomit unable to stand or control her limbs...

And the gardai pull you over for 15 minutes on an insurance etc. check while your friend shows them every document they ask for.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::(:(:(:(

OMG

Oh god , actually feel sick reading this. What an awful thing to happen. I hope she's pulled through.

• Advertisement

Seriously upset. Garda would not listen at all.

I was just sitting sobbing in the car. I hate public displays of emotion (and so I felt humiliated as well as terrified) but I just felt so helpless so close to help, if that makes sense. Dog is still alive, they think she might have regained her sight though she's not out of the woods yet.

Going to try and make a complaint. I appreciate that the garda was only trying to do her job but my dog could have died over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

:eek::eek::eek: What happened to your dog??!

Nightmare scenario

Many years ago, we were driving through Dublin city centre, our little daughter started haemorraging through her nose (i.e NOT a nosebleed) - we had to pull over to the side of the street in very heavy traffic, causing an obstruction too. Guards arrived, blue lights flashing, behind us. They took one look at me and my daughter coverted in blood, both hysterical, while my husband basically told the guards we were NOT moving - and left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Given the situation, you would imagine, that the guard could've asked your friend to produce documents in the station at a later date.
    Really hope your dog is ok.

She's alive!

She's walking, albeit a little uncoordinated. She's lively. She knows who we are. Aside from some tiredness, a bit of a wheeze, and a tiny bit of a tremor, she's her old self.

They reckon it was mycotoxins- either mushrooms or some sort of moldy dead bird.

The vets in the pet emergency hospital did absolutely amazing things. We were joking saying did they swap us another dog. I thought for sure she was dead, was never leaving that hospital (if she even made it to the hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Great news, glad to hear she's on the mend. At least you can relax a little now too.

• Advertisement

So relieved for you Latatian. Such a shame the guard didn't have more compassion. I'd probably make a complaint also.
    Just glad your dog has come round.

Going to make a complaint. The dog lived, everything turned out happily- but she could just as easily have died. The vet was warning us that she might not regain her sight if she lived etc.

If I had a dog having a siezure and I refused to get help for it while it was blind and crying in pain, that would be animal neglect. Not sure why it should be any different when you just prevent someone else getting emergency treatment for their dog.

Maybe with the next dog it'll die. If reporting it reduces the risk of that happening, by any amount, it's the right thing to do. I am not looking for vengance, I have great respect for the gardai and what they do, I understand that they were unprepared for the situation and thought they were doing the right thing- just maybe let's let the next dog go to the animal hospital.
    Please reassure me I'm not being a dick!

Going to make a complaint. The dog lived, everything turned out happily- but she could just as easily have died. The vet was warning us that she might not regain her sight if she lived etc.

If I had a dog having a siezure and I refused to get help for it while it was blind and crying in pain, that would be animal neglect. Not sure why it should be any different when you just prevent someone else getting emergency treatment for their dog.

Maybe with the next dog it'll die. If reporting it reduces the risk of that happening, by any amount, it's the right thing to do. I am not looking for vengance, I have great respect for the gardai and what they do, I understand that they were unprepared for the situation and thought they were doing the right thing- just maybe let's let the next dog go to the animal hospital.
    Please reassure me I'm not being a dick!

I'd be making a complaint too if I'm honest. We trust our gardai to help us in our time of need not hinder us.
    I think you said you were pulled over for 15 minutes. That seems very long. I've been pulled over and had show all the usual info and the guard had a chat with me. I wasnt near that long with him. Surely they could have sped things up or allowed the driver to show some of the stuff at the station later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Really tired all week, thought I'd have a lie in today. Both dogs and one of the cats woke me between 6.30 and 7.15am. After getting up 3 times I just stayed up, couldn't sleep again, now I'm getting sleepy.

I drove my friend and pup to puppy social hour this morning. There was a pug named Kevin :D

My former neighbour once told me she knew a lady ran a pug rescue and had 21 pugs last time she saw her!
    I didn't tell my daughter or she'd want to go see them all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I got a big shock today when I went to book the spaying for our girl. Around €160!! Probably double what I had guessed.

Jayop wrote: »
    I got a big shock today when I went to book the spaying for our girl. Around €160!! Probably double what I had guessed.

You could phone around the vets in your area to see how much they charge...

Bailey boy was at a different vets yesterday. We've been there once before and it's around the corner from my job so he was very excited to be in the general area lol - lots of rabbits and pheasants nearby and he'd normally have a queue of people coming over to meet him in the carpark etc etc I brought him to go to the loo before going in and he dragged me down and dragged me back to the door and then inside. It took maybe 60 seconds for him to realise he was actually in a vets office and then he started to cry.. Next the receptionist was out with a jar of treats to give him some - he sat when she came over to him with the jar, crying between taking treats lol! :p:rolleyes:

booo-hooooo
    NOM
    booo-hoooo
    NOM
    boo-hooo-hoooo
    NOM

Poor Bailey! How did he get on??
    Boo hoo Nom indeed :p

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    Poor Bailey! How did he get on??
    Boo hoo Nom indeed :p

We'll find out after X-rays on thurs(!)

Good luck Bailey.

I walked the dogs half hour ago, bit longer than normal nights, and Oliver came home wagged his tail, got cuddles from my daughter and disappeared.
    I just found him snoring in my bed!
    He didn't even slink off the bed and into his crate like he usually does, just sighed and closed his eyes.

Tk, I can just see the big eyed sad crying face, cheeky buggers aren't they?

Oliver doesn't cry, just looks sad and hugs me, so one of the vets offered him a pigs ear one day, saying it's good for his teeth, thankfully he didn't take it, cos the only time he had one he hands the runs for a week!

I was at the beach a few days ago. I picked a time when there's usually no one about because of my terrier and his 'issues'.
    When I arrived there was a lady just about to begin a walk with two off lead dogs. My fella of course lost it at the sight of them (he was still in the boot).

Well the woman turned and walked back to the car park and came over to ask
    "Would you like me to put my dogs on leads?"
    Nobody has ever asked me that before. I actually started stumbling over my words I was so shocked by how nice and unexpected it was of her to ask. I told her it wasn't necessary I'd give her a head start and walk up at the dunes but warned her that my guys not too friendly.

I know it's not her problem that my dog has issues and I know she has no obligation to put her dogs on leads. But it was still bloody lovely to be asked.

I noted as we walked that she had wonderful control over her dogs and they stayed well out of our way. More people like this please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

aonb wrote: »
    You could phone around the vets in your area to see how much they charge...

Cheers. It's pretty rural here and although there are vets around this guy is good. Im friends with farmers who swear by him so if it's a little more expensive I'll pay it for the piece if mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Poor cream has been through the wars this last week. Last weekend he was limping a bit, brought him to the vet Monday and was told he had muscle wastage from an old injury that we probably never even knew about. Give him metacam and restrict him for 7-10 days. His limp has gotten progressively worse to the point that he can't even turn over on his own, I need to help him, and help him getting up and down the scratching post so he doesn't strain himself. Going to have to bring him to the vet in the morning again. Poor booger :(

Ah poor Creamy! :(

Bailey's xrays sent off for an expert opinion(!) Lucy waited in the hall for him all day yesterday :o

My love to cream and bailey!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Woke up this morning to call in vet and he's fine again! (Well back to the same level of limp as last weekend). He mystifies me. Only thing I can think is I opened a fresh bottle of metacam last night, maybe the other had lost strength with being open a while.
    He gets a reprise til Monday now but if he's still the same I'll bring him then.
    In the meantime he's learned to meow at me if he wants to be lifted anywhere and it is very cute :D

• Advertisement

I actually switched to metacam tablets rather than having the liquid sitting months and then no worries that he's not getting it all if they swap bowls - Bailey will hide under the table if I try to syringe it into his mouth so the liquid has to go in his food! Not an easy task with cats though lol!

Bailey is the same with being lifted in and out of the new car! Getting the towbar fitted on Monday so we have our dog step back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement