Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Little madam was looking for her breakfast at 6.30am!
    Only gave her a little bit, she's such a pig!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I groomed Kero today, her third time in her 6 years getting a bath, she was filthy. The last time I washed her, she wasn't happy in the bath and was utterly terrified of the blaster.
    After spending loads of time with her going in and out of the bath without turning it on, listening to the dryer from a distance while getting loads of treats, and the addition of a happy hoodie (a kind of head band that muffles the sound of the dryer and stops air going in the ears) she was so very well behaved. I was so proud!
    However getting onto the grooming table was a different story, she really doesn't like heights at all and it was too dangerous with her trying to back off, so on to the floor we went and with the light on my phone I went underneath her and clipped out her belly (was very matted, and a hidden belly stripe helps keep her cool). Her first time ever being clipped and she was just brilliant. I was beyond chuffed with her :D:D:D
    (Although her haircut looks silly, uncles instructions were to shave the mats off and nothing else, still learning how to blend :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I groomed Kero today, her third time in her 6 years getting a bath, she was filthy. The last time I washed her, she wasn't happy in the bath and was utterly terrified of the blaster.
    After spending loads of time with her going in and out of the bath without turning it on, listening to the dryer from a distance while getting loads of treats, and the addition of a happy hoodie (a kind of head band that muffles the sound of the dryer and stops air going in the ears) she was so very well behaved. I was so proud!
    However getting onto the grooming table was a different story, she really doesn't like heights at all and it was too dangerous with her trying to back off, so on to the floor we went and with the light on my phone I went underneath her and clipped out her belly (was very matted, and a hidden belly stripe helps keep her cool). Her first time ever being clipped and she was just brilliant. I was beyond chuffed with her :D:D:D
    (Although her haircut looks silly, uncles instructions were to shave the mats off and nothing else, still learning how to blend :pac: )

You have to let us see a photo now!

aonb wrote: »
    You have to let us see a photo now!

This is her with all the hair that came off her belly and legs, taken so that you can't see how ridiculous her back legs look :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Really would love to find a rescue GSD x Collie girl when the time comes that we can get another pooch. I'm probably mad. It's a mix that could probably go one way or the other lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Our cats latest boundary tester is to drink water from the fish bowl!

The fish bowl is mounted on a window sill, beyond the kitchen counter (which is clearly marked out of bounds for her over the 2 months that she has been living with us) but twice on Saturday she was lapping up her goldfish flavoured kool-aid!! (She has two bowls of fresh water in easy acccessable cat friendly zones btw)

VonVix wrote: »
    Really would love to find a rescue GSD x Collie girl when the time comes that we can get another pooch. I'm probably mad. It's a mix that could probably go one way or the other lol.

There's a female gsd collie x in foster for a rescue at the moment and she's heartbreakingly beautiful. Has me wanting one (specifically her ;) ) when the time comes but we're a long way off unfortunately​.
    We don't plan to get anymore until we've helped our little terrier to overcome or at least make big strides with his reactiveness. Although he'd be fine with a new female coming into the house, I'd be afraid of him passing on some of his quirks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

gucci wrote: »
    Our cats latest boundary tester is to drink water from the fish bowl!

The fish bowl is mounted on a window sill, beyond the kitchen counter (which is clearly marked out of bounds for her over the 2 months that she has been living with us) but twice on Saturday she was lapping up her goldfish flavoured kool-aid!! (She has two bowls of fresh water in easy acccessable cat friendly zones btw)

Are you not afraid she'll go for a self service dinner :-o

This house hunting craic is really starting to drain me, 2 and a half weeks and not even a sniff of anything yet. Thankfully work is quiet so I can spend a few hours every day trawling through daft, it's really a matter of ringing within a few minutes of an ad going up or else it's gone. It's desperate out there for renters at the minute :-(

There's a female gsd collie x in foster for a rescue at the moment and she's heartbreakingly beautiful. Has me wanting one (specifically her ;) ) when the time comes but we're a long way off unfortunately​.
    We don't plan to get anymore until we've helped our little terrier to overcome or at least make big strides with his reactiveness. Although he'd be fine with a new female coming into the house, I'd be afraid of him passing on some of his quirks.

I think I know of the one you're talking about, she ticked all the boxes for me on paper. I totally would be inquiring about her if I could. It's typical that a dog would stand out to me when it's not yet the right time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Are you not afraid she'll go for a self service dinner :-o

Yes very afraid, hence why she got a proper scolding both times. Thankfully she didn't have wet paws on either occasion, so I am hoping she isnt just measuring it all up for the kill!!

We don't let her into the kitchen when we are not at home, so fingers crossed she will learn its out of bounds.

Re:House move...I dont envy you one bit. We bought our first house last year and that was 6 months of legal mumbo jumbo that I will never get back. Its such a stressful time.

• Advertisement

I think I know of the one you're talking about, she ticked all the boxes for me on paper. I totally would be inquiring about her if I could. It's typical that a dog would stand out to me when it's not yet the right time!

Always the way!

A friend of my parents stayed over last night, he's never been here before and apparently my parents didn't familiarize him with the whole cat security measures when putting them to bed. My Mam woke up at 5.30 with Peach happily curled up purring as loud as possible in between them in the bed absolutely delighted with this rare treat. As little as she gets into the bedrooms when my dad isn't here, I don't think she's ever slept in the bed with the two of them before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The love of my life was a GSD x collie girl. She was very reactive. But I wouldn't have swapped her for all the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Are you talking months or years away? Ours was kept for about 3 months for us by the rescue 'cos she was a perfect match and we just didn't have everything sorted when we first saw her. Just saying... ;)

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Are you talking months or years away? Ours was kept for about 3 months for us by the rescue 'cos she was a perfect match and we just didn't have everything sorted when we first saw her. Just saying... ;)

If things keep going to plan, anything from 6 months to 2 years at this rate. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

If things keep going to plan, anything from 6 months to 2 years at this rate. :o

That might be stretching it a bit alright! :pac:

And I know that you know, but for anyone that's thinking about one after people raving about them here - our's NEEDS one-on-one time every day. She is a brilliant dog and I wouldn't change a single thing about her, but a good walk isn't enough and she needs some training/work every day or she gets bored. And if she's bored she entertains herself in various interesting and sometimes-not-entertaining ways. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Do ye feel guilty when there are no walks for whatever reason ?

No walk this evening and here playing with some toys to provide some entertainment :) I got the look earlier though...." were not going are we" :)

My big guy now sleeps with both a pillow and a blanket in his crate, I had noticed he seems to love resting his head on something squishy... so I bought him his own pillow and he loves it. Each morning he will come out carrying his pillow in his mouth looking extremely chuffed with himself.

I met a shar pei for the first time today, oh my god I fell in love! Would absolutely adore one if it wasn't for all the health problems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I got a new order of harnesses etc in today, I'd ordered some dog beds as well, thought I might keep one, and sell the rest, no chance of being able to sell them, my dogs have claimed them all.

• Advertisement

One of my little guys tripped on a rock and sprained his wrist, other half had to carry his 10kg self down a mountain for 45 minutes in the rain.
    Few days ago one of our cats had an accident and injured her rear leg.
    Both of 'em are on Loxicom.

Weird thing is all four of our cats have needed to individually go to the vet in the last 12 months or so for not-so-minor issues. Ever since we had the downstairs re-done the cats have had terrible luck when it comes to their health and never needed the vet for any problem. And these cats ages range from 5 to 9. Bloody weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

One of ours had a session of reiki today. This dog is very choosey about who he keeps company with and you are most definitely blessed if you get a hand near him if you're not part of his circle of trust. As well as that he was sat atop a high table. But sat there he did and did a great impression of a Buddah and even lay down at one stage he was so totally relaxed! Back for another session next week, she can take all my money if it helps him stay this zen!!!

My cats been coughing for a couple of weeks. Thought he was having hairball troubles but with no hairballs appearing and the long weekend starting I didn't want to leave it and took him to the vet. Nothing major, throat inflammation. Few tablets and we were on our way, just before the vet closed up for a half day.

Got home and immediately noticed my terrier licking his chest. Picked him up for a chest rub and my fingers hit something wet. He has some kind of weird open wound on his chest. I don't know what it is.. possibly some kind of burst ulcer/abscess. Why would this happen when I'm just home from the vet and they're closed now for the day?

Instead of ringing the emergency pager number for my vet I rang another vet and they're seeing him in an hour. The wait is killing me. I'm really worried about what it is and is he in much pain. Wondering if I was silly not to ring my own vet who knows him and me and maybe even might have been able to get in to see him a little quicker.

Don't know why I'm even writing this.. to kill time i suppose. Longest hour ever.

Also how did I not notice it sooner? I was cuddling him and rubbing his chest last night. Surely there should have been a noticeable lump or something. Could I have just missed it? Am I the worst doggy parent ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My cats been coughing for a couple of weeks. Thought he was having hairball troubles but with no hairballs appearing and the long weekend starting I didn't want to leave it and took him to the vet. Nothing major, throat inflammation. Few tablets and we were on our way, just before the vet closed up for a half day.

Got home and immediately noticed my terrier licking his chest. Picked him up for a chest rub and my fingers hit something wet. He has some kind of weird open wound on his chest. I don't know what it is.. possibly some kind of burst ulcer/abscess. Why would this happen when I'm just home from the vet and they're closed now for the day?

Instead of ringing the emergency pager number for my vet I rang another vet and they're seeing him in an hour. The wait is killing me. I'm really worried about what it is and is he in much pain. Wondering if I was silly not to ring my own vet who knows him and me and maybe even might have been able to get in to see him a little quicker.

Don't know why I'm even writing this.. to kill time i suppose. Longest hour ever.

Also how did I not notice it sooner? I was cuddling him and rubbing his chest last night. Surely there should have been a noticeable lump or something. Could I have just missed it? Am I the worst doggy parent ever?

yikes! typical, everything happens on a bank holiday weekend. I hope your dog is ok - wierd one... seems strange that an abscess or ulcer should suddenly appear and burst overnight. Could he have done something to himself while you were wiht the cat at the vet? Has he a chest harness that could have chaffed something sharp caught in his coat? Could something have spilled onto him - hot water or something??? Anyway, you will soon get a resolution hopefully from the emergency. Dont beat yourself up, going from cuddling your dog, to bringing your coughing cat to the vet, to being the worst doggy parent - DONT think so! Let us know how you (and he) get on - fingers crossed for you

Thanks Aonb.

He's fine! I can stop panicking. I was immediately filled with all the worst thoughts.. was it a burst ulcer.. did he have cancer?! Haha proper crazy lady thoughts!

The vet said it had been cut open by something sharp and was he in contact with another dog. I told her there no way my other dog would do that. I was adamant on that so she asked if maybe there was any stray wire... and then it hit me... duh!

He'd been in my mums house and she's having her garden landscaped so there's some areas fenced off with wire and boards and there's probably some loose wire maybe even nails about because of course he somehow got through the fencing the minute he arrived there.
    It was so obvious.. in hindsight. Vet confirmed that would totally explain it.

She couldn't stitch him up because it would harbour infection. So she shaved around it and washed it and gave him an antibiotic injection. She gave me hibiscrub to keep it clean and more antibiotics. So I just have to keep a close eye on him and hopefully it'll heal up in no time.

Glad I didn't drag my own vet back in now when it was all so simple. But if I'm not happy with how he's healing I'll bring him to my own vet next week.

So I'm off the hook. He didn't have it long before I noticed! :)

We took the dogs to the beach yesterday evening and they were having a great time, then Oliver stopped and can't walk on his back leg.
    Couldn't see any obvious damage so carried him back to the car, and he seemed happy to just sleep, until about 1am, he was moaning and couldn't get comfy (he managed to get upstairs and onto my bed even on three legs) so up since 5.30 waiting for vet to open.
    I thought it was just a muscle thing, but worried now and feeling guilty for not bringing him to vet last night. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh poor Oliver! But don't feel guilty because he would have been fine if you had of taken him to the vet last night lol - that's what usually happens with my two once the credit card is swiped!! :p

Bailey is 5 weeks post op today... And on the same short walk we did for months before his op. I can't get my head around that. Even 2 weeks post op he was on his short walk and his knee was moving better than it's moved in years!

Well went to vet at 8.30 this morning, lovely vet the next town over (usual vet has no xray machine) and he thinks it's his cruciate ligament, he's not sure it's fully gone, so rest and anti inflame for 2 weeks to see does it improve.

Oliver is very sensitive to anaesthetic, so trying to avoid surgery if possible.
    Two weeks of keeping the crazy bouncy loon quiet will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Good luck! Hopefully we'll be done with restriction soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DogLover33

Good luck to all those with pet injuries!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement