Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awful day here :( Was walking our dogs with my sister and our neighbours dog ran out at us and was hit by a car. I know it wasn't our fault but I can't help feeling awful. Such a shocking thing to see and I know I'll keep reliving it every time I close my eyes :( Sitting here crying my eyes out.

One if our buns hurt her paw last week and has been on anti inflammatorys for a week but no improvement. She has to go for an xray in the morning but I'm so nervous about the anesthetic as buns don't do well with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

jellybear wrote:
    Awful day here Was walking our dogs with my sister and our neighbours dog ran out at us and was hit by a car. I know it wasn't our fault but I can't help feeling awful. Such a shocking thing to see and I know I'll keep reliving it every time I close my eyes Sitting here crying my eyes out.
    One if our buns hurt her paw last week and has been on anti inflammatorys for a week but no improvement. She has to go for an xray in the morning but I'm so nervous about the anesthetic as buns don't do well with it

What a horrible experience! And especially when you're worrying about your own too. Hopefully all will go well for ye tomorrow and you will get to the bottom of the sore paw. Have you ever tried giving milk thistle after the anesthetic? I know others who give it after the anesthetic as it helps the liver to filter it out.

Awh it was just so, so horrible and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it :(

Oh that's a great tip- will definitely pick some up. She's never been under anaesthetic so I just hope she'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

jellybear wrote:
    Oh that's a great tip- will definitely pick some up. She's never been under anaesthetic so I just hope she'll be okay.

She'll do great, plenty of blankets to keep her toasty afterwards. Let us know how she gets on.

Will do of course! I have a feeling it's broken, don't know how although I have seen rabbits catch their paws when jumping into their hutch so it could be that. We've only 2 bunnies left out of our little rabbit family of 7 and we just love them so much it's so hard when they're not well :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

jellybear wrote: »
    Awful day here :( Was walking our dogs with my sister and our neighbours dog ran out at us and was hit by a car. I know it wasn't our fault but I can't help feeling awful. Such a shocking thing to see and I know I'll keep reliving it every time I close my eyes :( Sitting here crying my eyes out.

One if our buns hurt her paw last week and has been on anti inflammatorys for a week but no improvement. She has to go for an xray in the morning but I'm so nervous about the anesthetic as buns don't do well with it :(

Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago. I worked at a creche at the time and it was on the corner of a cross roads. One day I was walking in to work and a black lab type puppy ran out and got hit. Myself and one of the kids mothers ran over and it died in her arms :(

It's been 10 years and I still remember every moment, the sound of it happening, the school kids screaming. Other stuff that's too gruesome to share.

It also turned out the puppy belonged to one of the kids in our creche.

I really feel for you. I was a wreck for ages about it.

Awh that's awful. So sorry you went through that. I have to say the shock hit me hard last night. I was shaking uncontrollably and felt freezing cold. I was dreading closing my eyes to go to sleep because I knew I would keep seeing it and reliving it. Had a fairly restless night I have to say and I think I'll be very shaken up for a while yet :(

Oh and in some positive news, Joon our bunny didn't need the xray this morning. Vet is hopeful it's either a bad sprain or possibly ligament damage so just plenty of rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

There is a cat in my bathroom that I don't own. My bf came home from work at 11, asked me to come back out with him because he'd spotted a cat sitting on the edge of the road. He wasn't sure if it was hurt or not but was very concerned because it was sitting so close to the traffic, didn't seem scared at all of the cars.

When we got there the cat was wandering back and forth across the road, through the traffic (my heart was in my mouth) and finally went into the entrance of an estate. I got out to check on her, and while she seemed kinda lost she was very friendly and just jumped up into the car!

We didn't know what to do so we took her home and put her in the bathroom! We'll drop her down to the local vets in the morning to check for a chip. I hope we weren't overreacting but I would be sick if she ended up hurt or dead in the morning. Are we mad? Someone is probably wondering where their cat is tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Alicat wrote: »
    There is a cat in my bathroom that I don't own. My bf came home from work at 11, asked me to come back out with him because he'd spotted a cat sitting on the edge of the road. He wasn't sure if it was hurt or not but was very concerned because it was sitting so close to the traffic, didn't seem scared at all of the cars.

When we got there the cat was wandering back and forth across the road, through the traffic (my heart was in my mouth) and finally went into the entrance of an estate. I got out to check on her, and while she seemed kinda lost she was very friendly and just jumped up into the car!

We didn't know what to do so we took her home and put her in the bathroom! We'll drop her down to the local vets in the morning to check for a chip. I hope we weren't overreacting but I would be sick if she ended up hurt or dead in the morning. Are we mad? Someone is probably wondering where their cat is tonight!

You're good people. I'd rather find out one of my animals was safe in someone's home than running around in the streets. Hopefully you find the owner.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

VonVix wrote: »
    You're good people. I'd rather find out one of my animals was safe in someone's home than running around in the streets. Hopefully you find the owner.

'Bob' had a registered chip so he was returned to a distraught owner this afternoon! :) They were delighted we took him in for the night.

My two eejits never even copped there was another cat in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well the anti inflammatory seems to be helping Oliver, he has straightened out his leg and can rest it on the ground to balance when peeing (like a puppy unless he goes out of the garden) or when waiting for his food.
    I had to reduce his food as I don't want him putting on any more weight, he's a bit over a kilo over his normal weight (up to about 7 he was 12.5 kg) and that won't help.
    Trying to keep him from moving about too much, I brought him for a spin in the car today as he's not allowed walk. I really hope he doesn't need the op, this is hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Folks quick one. Our puppy about 9 months had her first heat a few weeks ago. We had hoped to spay her before hand but the vet put it back and then it was too late. That's not the problem anyway.

So the last two nights she's pooping and peeing in the house. Is this normal heat behavior? She's fully trained and the only time she's alone is at night. Should I bring her to the vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm sure I've complained about this before :o but for FFS what is it with people on FB who insist on tagging me on every f**king thing they see about dogs. A dog dying - tag TK, some stupid story about putting nappies on dogs - tag TK.. the word dog.. tag TK

Maybe I should start tagging them on every article about a kid and see how they like it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm sure I've complained about this before :o but for FFS what is it with people on FB who insist on tagging me on every f**king thing they see about dogs. A dog dying - tag TK, some stupid story about putting nappies on dogs - tag TK.. the word dog.. tag TK

Maybe I should start tagging them on every article about a kid and see how they like it! :rolleyes:

You know you probably shouldn't have posted that on here don't you :cool:

muddypaws wrote: »
    You know you probably shouldn't have posted that on here don't you :cool:

:(

I know how you feel TK, I got given framed pictures of cats and dogs a few times as presents, get tagged in stories about dogs and cats. Even had people share scrappy and inaccurate pieces about bichon care because my dogs are cream/mostly white so must be bichons.

mymo wrote: »
    I know how you feel TK, I got given framed pictures of cats and dogs a few times as presents, get tagged in stories about dogs and cats. Even had people share scrappy and inaccurate pieces about bichon care because my dogs are cream/mostly white so must be bichons.

Some of the FB stories is stuff I wouldn't read myself. Like I don't want to know about a dog dying of cancer etc etc - the same way I'd assume somebody with kids doesn't want stories about dying kids in their feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

After 2 or 3 months of not being let out of our house since she arrived the cat now is allowed out the back garden for a wander and sometimes she strays into the neighbours gardens, but generally speaking comes back and forth. She can be easily beckoned in or sometimes comes in under a little bit of protest.

Yesterday evening when I came home from work she rushed to the back door to get out,so I put her outside....then she realised that it was windy and cold outside and wanted to come back in after 20 seconds :-) and was in a mood under the couch for the rest of the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gucci wrote: »
    After 2 or 3 months of not being let out of our house since she arrived the cat now is allowed out the back garden for a wander and sometimes she strays into the neighbours gardens, but generally speaking comes back and forth. She can be easily beckoned in or sometimes comes in under a little bit of protest.

Yesterday evening when I came home from work she rushed to the back door to get out,so I put her outside....then she realised that it was windy and cold outside and wanted to come back in after 20 seconds :-) and was in a mood under the couch for the rest of the evening!

My cats now can have full freedom; I leave the bathroom window open.

Always joys me when I get home after a long day and three cats and a dog spill out of the cottage and surround me. One even was up a tree where I park...

• Advertisement

Ruby is not impressed with the weather (she went out for an hour at 6am), and she's let us all know about it today.
    She came in from the rain wet and I didn't dry her right so she went up to wake my daughter (her favoured slave), between the wails of neglect and squeals about a wet cat getting in her bed everyone was awake.
    One day I'll get a lie in.

On the plus side olivers leg is really improving, he's putting weight on it so really have to watch him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Was walking the dogs in a crowded area and my dog was a bit nervous of this other dog, who was straining at the lead to get to her. Fair enough, if a dog is hyperactive and choking itself a bit to get to you, you're going to be a bit nervous. You know how a calm dog, of any size, is going to be a lot less likely to worry other dogs than one that seems over-excited or nervous or staring intensely.

So I started walking backwards pulling my dogs away. And usually if this happens the dog calms down once it has a little distance and doesn't feel as trapped. Not a problem.

The woman walking the other dog started following me to let her dog at mine, saying "say hello, go say hello to the dogs."

I was asking her to give us some space, asking her to move back, 'oh no sorry we're not saying hello today', putting my hand out in a 'stop' signal, keeping a nice calm voice. No response. She keeps coming until we are backed in a corner, while I am repeatedly asking for space, and then keeps walking forwards. My dog starts to bark and then shake behind me and then ends up in absolute hysterics. At this point I have moved to "What the eff is wrong with you? Please give us some space!" And this person just walks off without an apology or any acknowledgment.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but if someone is walking away from me with their dog, to get away from me, while asking for space, I don't chase them. I mean if they were deaf fair enough, but I was walking away making 'stop' motions with my hands.

Awh Latatian that's awful :(

I'm sitting here crying over my little man. We were out walking and met our neighbours and he went ballistic barking, growling etc. They didn't mind and understand as he's been so nervous since he was attacked but I'm just devestated by how reactivate he has become :(

Just emailed the trainer who was out to see him before for advice as this can't continue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Sorry that happened to you Jellybear. Let us know how the trainer gets on.

If it gives you any consolation/hope, after about an hour of sitting with the dog off in the quiet and praise and petting and treats, she recovered enough that we could walk back through the people and dogs in the park, no bother, and we ended the day training on a happy note.

Now, she may have to not be fed for a few days, and she's fat as a fool tonight, but still, happy note! They can learn to be unafraid as well as afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream went to the vets today as he's been sneezing mad the last few days, turns our he has hayfever! The vet gave him a long acting steriod to cover him for a month and oh my god, the energy from him tonight. He is just going non stop! I hope this doesn't last the full month, I'm worn out just looking at him!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've owned labs, rotties and lab and rottie crosses before, but never had a dog with a tail like Brans. It is like a whip, constantly on the go, and with a lot of force. He won waggiest tail in a fun dog show on Sunday, but has damaged the tip of it, and keeps bleeding, healing slightly, then bleeding again. A vet nurse friend has suggested foam pipe around it until it heals, but if it keeps happening, I may have to have it docked when he goes in to be neutered. I've never had a docked dog before, and have never agreed with the practice, but I can really see how it may be in his best interests.

Pipe insulation and tape!
    Hope it heals up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Or an old fashioned hair curler!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I know of somebody who fashioned their own "tail bandit" for happy tail injuries. A halti lead and stick on velcro strips on the outside of insulation pipe. They tend to use it on an ongoing basis as the obsessive dog that he is will try and chew his tail if he's bored. You just need to be on hand for pooing!

https://tail-bandit.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I just got my ankle savaged by a white fluffy in my efforts to let his owner know they had livestock loose on the main road. It's going to be black tomorrow. I don't need a tetanus if the skin isn't broken, is that right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement