Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh sounds nasty, glad everything healed up well!

I'd say it may be actually up in his sinus if there is one, hopefully it won't involve surgery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They do tend to push themselves out, I spoke to someone else it happened to their dog too, only their dog it came out up the leg a bit, Tiffi's came out the top of her foot.
    Hopefully it will push out if it is a seed, without the need for surgery.
    Keep him in where you can watch him until you get to vet tmrw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Any that I've heard of the seed has usually been forced out by the body but may leave infection or a site for infection to set in. If he's sneezing there may well be something irritating the nasal passage. I know nasal lavage works for humans so maybe the vet may be able to approach in a similar manner. Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

He's cuddled up in bed with me now for the night, he's sleeping fine but uncomfortable when he wakes up, the swelling has spread over his eye so he's having trouble opening it now. I'll update tomorrow when we know more!

Just out from the vets, it's an abscess :( he's being kept in for the afternoon to have it drained; poor little chap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Just out from the vets, it's an abscess he's being kept in for the afternoon to have it drained; poor little chap!

Once it's drained it will probably relieve some of the pain from the pressure of it and once the anti biotics kick in he'll be feeling better in no time. Poor little dude.

Bells21 wrote: »
    Once it's drained it will probably relieve some of the pain from the pressure of it and once the anti biotics kick in he'll be feeling better in no time. Poor little dude.

He seems to be feeling a lot better already, although that could be because he's still stoned from the anaesthetic :pac: we have to keep the wound open for 3 or so days to let it drain. He's helping by rubbing it on every surface possible getting blood everywhere. He looks a right mess now but I'm sure he'll be feeling right as rain in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

One of the cygnets in the park was on it's own this morning and no sign of mammy, daddy or the other 5 babies! My friend rang the DSPCA -thank god it's raining - it might keep the kind of fools who'd leave their dogs off lead around it indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

That awkward moment when someone thinks I'm a 17 year old student when I'm pushing 30. My love for unicorns probably isn't helping.

Ah well, the dogs must be keeping me fresh.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I was killing time this morning waiting for the gates to be opened in the park so brushed the dogs for a min. They were wet so it wasn't flying everywhere and I got 2 or 3 'cigars' off the rake... well the gardener asked me to pick up the fur! I was shocked and told him the birds take it and and he walked on. Doesn't seem to have a problem with the broken glass we're dodging weeks and empty cans and bottles lying around though! :rolleyes: I love brushing them then retreating far enough away to watch the birds come down for the fur! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

That's unreal tk123. We do the same in our garden when ours are brushed and I've collected empty nests, for work, and the children I teach love seeing the dog hair being used as part of a nest!

When there was a wasps nest in the ground and the dogs all getting stung it couldn't be touched because of biodiversity... one hanging down from a tree that could drop on somebody's head - again they couldn't touch it because of biodiversity(that one was knocked down by kids with a football lol). SO.. I'd argue that leaving the fur there for the birds is in favour of biodiversity - this is suburban Dublin where we have birds pulling the fur from our patio slabs, squirrels are fed by visitors in the botanics etc etc etc.... so yeah he can get stuffed. :p

There has been a stray cat hanging round our house for 3 weeks. He has a nick out of his ear presumably from TNR. He looked chubby but it's actually just his thick coat. Underneath he was pretty thin and bony. We ignored him for the first while assuming he would leave.

He didn't.

My partner and I are both in agreement that we absolutely cannot keep him. We have enough animals for now. Another one just isn't a good idea at the moment.

So anyway we had torrential rain for a few days and this fella had been hanging around at our patio doors from one end of the day to the next so we took pity and fed him even though we're not keeping him.

So then poor chubbs was getting wet so we made him a plastic box bed thing to keep him warm and dry. (We only named him so we could call him over for his food, not because we're keeping him because we're absolutely not).

We've got a lot of weight on him already and various oils combined with good quality food and he's looking a lot healthier in his condition. Not that it matters to us mind you, since he's not staying.

Unfortunately over the last few days he's been doing a lot of sneezing. Projecting gunk around the patio. So tomorrow Im on a mission to get him to the vet. I have limited time so I have to get him in first thing in the morning. Any tips on how to achieve this would be greatly received. I have no idea how I'm going to get him into a carrier since he won't even go into his box bed while anyone's watching in case you try to trap him in there.

Actually on that note, his box isn't fool proof so I've ordered a wooden house for him with a little veranda on top and any tips on how to insulate it for winter would be greatly received also.

Yep we're absolutely definitely not keeping him.

Congratulations Builebeg - it's a boy! :D lol

tk123 wrote: »
    Congratulations Builebeg - it's a boy! :D lol

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Our "wee dug" has been with us 1 year today. As the recuse center didn't know her age , it's become her unofficial birthday.

Thanks to all on here for the advice and recommendations for all the threads I started and questions I asked.

It's been a brilliant and eventful year, from chasing dogs off her when she was on heat (even though we were told she was spayed) to overnight emergency stays due to infections, we can't believe it's only 1 year, it feels like she's always been here. To almost having to dive into a river after her.

When I left her this morning she was in a hump as I stopped her from rolling in wet grass.
    Given the day that's in it, she can roll around to her hearts content later on, will give her a shower afterwards.

Getting things all ready for our new arrival tomorrow.. :D since I work from a mobile home which had a spare room that was being used to store my Dad's junk, I cleared it out and made a little play room where he can chill for the day when I'm working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

SMX I'd move into a room like that :D it's gorgeous.

Tiffi just spent 40mins after a huge rat in the garden, wouldn't come in, had 3 cats helping her at one stage, they had it cornered but just couldn't get it as it was behind bin and hose reel.

For a little dog that whines to be lifted in the car, onto sofa etc, she ran about a meter up the wall after it no trouble.
    It's escaped now but there's her and 3 of the cats checking every inch of the garden.
    Oliver is in bed, with the 4th cat (who is 16 and never killed a thing in his life)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I had rescue hammies for years, both dwarves and Syrians and loved them all so much! And they're so much fun to take care of. I have boxes full of hammy toys and accessories and mahooosive empty hamster cages. And I can't adopt any hammies, because I now have two cats who would make their lives miserable with stress. And no doubt I'd eventually come home one day to an empty cage because somehow the cats found a way to open it.

I actually have dreams where there are lots of hamsters needing rescuing from bad conditions and then I wake up and remember I have cats. The house is too small to have both. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

We have a young cat hanging around for the past week or so. VERY VERY thin. Seems fit and healthy from what I can see. Ive been feeding it x3/day :eek: but if I try to get close it flees. The resident cat is NOT happy, the dogs on high alert :mad: Its the ugliest cat (sorry!) Ive ever seen - very odd markings, and the longest legs and skinniest long tail.

I'll work to get it tamer, then maybe try to trap (I work with rescue/shelter so can borrow a trap/cage) and take it to vet to have it checked and neutered. In the meantime, I have some PARAZOLE wormer (dont know why I have this!!) and was going to try some in its next feed. It says put 1ml per 1kg bodyweight. Have NO clue about weight though - my (first) cat is quite small, think shes about 2-3kg - how much would a very very skinny young cat weigh - how much PARAZOLE to be safe for it, and to actually have an effect? Help please - Im clueless about cats - so pleased its getting fed, but wormer would be great, and then try to catch it... if only the residents can be convinced to leave it alone :mad:

Go for 3 kg just to be safe, it probably won't eat it all and lick bowl clean, so will be lucky to get half that into it. Do the three days and then again in two weeks just to be sure.
    Just give a tiny amount of food with it as I find even when they're half starved they don't like eating it.

mymo wrote: »
    Go for 3 kg just to be safe, it probably won't eat it all and lick bowl clean, so will be lucky to get half that into it. Do the three days and then again in two weeks just to be sure.
    Just give a tiny amount of food with it as I find even when they're half starved they don't like eating it.

Yikes! 3 days in a row? Dont know if there is that much in the bottle :mad: Guess I better just go to the vet and get something once-off (in case it doesnt eat it) that I can put into its food - is there such a worm dose for cats food? Thanks Mymo! (Tux just has a spot-on that covers everything - I warm it in my pocket and then put it on her - she thinks its lovely :rolleyes: )

aonb wrote: »
    I have some PARAZOLE wormer (dont know why I have this!!) and was going to try some in its next feed. It says put 1ml per 1kg bodyweight. Have NO clue about weight though - my (first) cat is quite small, think shes about 2-3kg - how much would a very very skinny young cat weigh - how much PARAZOLE to be safe for it, and to actually have an effect?

I would put 4ml (4kg single dose) in and mix well with something like sardines. That's still a safe dosage and means she should get a sufficient dose even if she doesn't eat all the food. Our vet recommends a single starting dose. I wouldn't wait to try and make her tamer - one in two chance she's female and she doesn't sound like she is old enough or strong enough to bear a litter of kittens. :(

No, it certainly needs to be neutered. Im going on holiday later this week unfortunately - for the cat. Anyone know what the story would be if I take this feral cat to the vet to be neutered - if its female vs male - from the point of view of recovery from a neutering surgery ... Its feral, presumably I would take it back after the surgery and set it free again? Can a female be let loose after a major surgery like that :confused: I think it'll have to take its chances until I get back (short break) - bad enough that it wont get fed while Im away, but to be post-surgery and not be fed is out.... (Ill leave a few bowls of food out while Im away and hope that this is the only feral cat coming to eat it)

I forgot how tiring kittens are :pac:
    The rule of no cats on the bed did not last long :D

Aonb she will be fine to be released 24hrs after the surgery has taken place. Ours always stay over in the vets to recover. :)

I forgot how tiring kittens are :pac:
    The rule of no cats on the bed did not last long :D

My god SMX, I can see why some cat folks are into their Bengals... Look at the shine on that coat! And the spots!

boomerang wrote: »
    My god SMX, I can see why some cat folks are into their Bengals... Look at the shine on that coat! And the spots!

I've read about bengals having a "glitter" on their coat but to see it in person is amazing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Cat bawling and scraping the door (downstairs) to get out at about 430/5 the last 2 or 3 mornings, I went out and let her out.....get up for work at 620 and she is bawling and scraping the outside door to get back in :confused::pac:

What a brilliant game!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement