Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think Oliver is on the road to recovery, he barked for his dinner and ate it all, only half what he'd normally have, but I was really worried, he wouldn't even go for a walk yesterday!
    At least it's quiet now tk, someone got a puppy near here, heard it crying earlier, every time I went outside for 3 hours, it's freezing here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Glad Oliver is feeling better, such a worry when they're not themselves.
    I really don't understand why people get dogs when they don't bother putting the effort in, I felt bad enough being busy last week and ours missed a walk.
    We have neighbours who have two large breeds that are basically abandoned in a 'dog run', they are then left loose on their garden at night. One barks all day and all night, charges the fence, snarls, growls etc. I have been in to them about the barking and even took to ringing them at all hours when it was barking.
    The dog warden was up last week, pulled up outside their gate and spent a few mins observing them from his van. I'm guessing that we're not the only ones with issues with them. Would love to know what was said that got the warden up.

Oliver is still not himself, but is eating a bit now, he seems to have a slight cough the last few days, and runny nose today. He didn't even beg for food since sunday (or try to steal it which is everyday normally). He did walk to the end of the road yesterday but if there's no big improvement tomorrow I think we may need to see the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Poor Oliver! Funny you say he has a runny nose - Lucy gets these bouts of what I'd called post nasal drip where she's swallowing and gagging a little and was doing it the other evening! I wonder if there's something going around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

My dog had a tummy bug before Christmas and is still on a slow release antibiotic. His appetite is still not great and I have to coax him to eat. Does anyone have any tips to improve his appetite? He didn’t eat a scrap of turkey over Christmas, which is not like him. We might be back in the vets this week if the situation doesn’t improve. He is eating enough, but he’s not interested in food. I think he’s associating food with feeling sick, or the antibiotic has him feeling queasy.

• Advertisement

My dog had a tummy bug before Christmas and is still on a slow release antibiotic. His appetite is still not great and I have to coax him to eat. Does anyone have any tips to improve his appetite? He didn’t eat a scrap of turkey over Christmas, which is not like him. We might be back in the vets this week if the situation doesn’t improve. He is eating enough, but he’s not interested in food. I think he’s associating food with feeling sick, or the antibiotic has him feeling queasy.

Could be the anti biotics. My girl had a similar reaction when she was given them. They thought at first it was the metacam she was on buy turned out to be the slow release anti biotics. Bella went through a phase at that time where the only thing she would have a nibble of were venison sausage treats from Aldi!! We ended up back at the vet for a gastro protectant injection which did the job and got her back eating fairly normally within a few days.

SAAAAAAKES!!! :mad:
    woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..woof x 6.. pause..

Going on HOURS >_<

Maybe a phone call to the warden/ispca that you're concerned the dog is in distress and has been abandoned? I've actually recorded our neighbors one this morning as I'm taking it further can't be dealing with it anymore

Bells21 wrote: »
    Maybe a phone call to the warden/ispca that you're concerned the dog is in distress and has been abandoned? I've actually recorded our neighbors one this morning as I'm taking it further can't be dealing with it anymore

We bumped into them taking him out as we were coming home...and they’ve dropped him back so another concert of barking! Is there any point in complaining if he’s being brought out twice a day and let in at night? What about the 10 or so hours in between though?

tk123 wrote:
    We bumped into them taking him out as we were coming home...and they’ve dropped him back so another concert of barking! Is there any point in complaining if he’s being brought out twice a day and let in at night? What about the 10 or so hours in between though?

Best pray it's not a two week holiday. Is the dog usually like this when the owners are there?

• Advertisement

So I took him back to the vet this evening and I stayed outside as he’s calmer when I’m not in the room. They gave him another antibiotic shot and a steroid injection without my knowledge. I was a bit shocked and surprised that they didn’t discuss it first, especially as they said his temp is normal. Anyway, got him home, he showed some interest in a piece of bread and butter I was eating so I gave him a tiny piece, his only food today. He’s just thrown that back up, with a load of green bile. I’m so cross with the vet as I feel they didn’t listen to me and then justified the shot by saying he clearly still has an infection. How could they possibly know that? I reckon it’s going to be twice as hard to get him eating now. Poor little thing, he’s curled up in his bed, totally miserable. I’d be grateful for any advice to get him back on track, this cant go on much longer.

Thanks for your response Bells21, I think there is a connection to the antibiotic and now he has even more in his system!

Bells21 wrote: »
    Best pray it's not a two week holiday. Is the dog usually like this when the owners are there?

They’d often leave him out barking like this. :(
    They came back from hols one time and decided to leave him out at night because he prefers it (BS) had complaints as he was barking all through the night - the can’t hear him.. more BS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

It was meant to be a PJ chilling day today as I've had a boarding guest staying all over Christmas, so first proper day off, although with a house full of dogs, not sure a chilling day is ever possible. Batch cooked the left over ham and turkey, carbonara, strogonoff and enough curry to last the whole of 2018, poppodums will be bought in bulk. Also filled a load of sandwich bags with cut up bits of meat for training sessions.

Fakediamond, my smaller dog vomits bile when she misses a meal, and after an anesthetic she wouldn't eat, after 24 hours vomiting bile began, and she wouldn't eat, so made up some scrambled egg, chicken and rice, stuff that was easy on stomach and let her have about a spoon at a time every 20 mins or so. Sometimes she ate it, sometimes not, but once she kept down a couple of spoonfuls she started to pick up and look for more.
    Is there anything she really likes?
    Do you think the eggs might entice her? I find my two like them warm.

Oliver seems back to himself, tried to steal my Chinese off my lap this evening, he's eating again, but smaller portions at the moment. Going to try a walk tomorrow, he wouldn't go past the end of the road since Saturday, and he loves his walks.

I’ve tried everything mymo, scrambled eggs, home cooked chicken and rice, veterinary gastric food. I’m just sorry I brought I’m back to the vet as he was eating small amounts of his kibble from my hand until today. I think the antibiotics are making him sick and I’m raging that the vet injected more without asking me, because I probably wold have said no. I thought they might give him steroids to stimulate appetite. They did give him a steroid injection as well, but he’s much worse now. I’m so worried about him, he’s lying up against me all evening, occasionally shivering. I tried some Greek yoghurt a while ago, but he threw it back up shortly after. He is drinking water though, so I’m glad about that. I’ll ring the vets first thing and see what they say. It might be time for a second opinion.

Poor dog, it's awful when they're ill. Hope you get him sorted, keep trying a little at a time, he may keep something down.

I’m glad Oliver is better. I did smile when I saw that he ate a “small Christmas dinner” while feeling sick!

When Lucy was sick and on hunger strike the only thing I could (eventually) get her to eat was Liga - and I don’t know what made me buy it in the diet place lol!!

I might try liga tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

tk123 wrote: »
    When Lucy was sick and on hunger strike the only thing I could (eventually) get her to eat was Liga - and I don’t know what made me buy it in the diet place lol!!

I was gonna suggest liga mixed into water or into chicken broth (seeing as he's drinking water now)... but thought folk would think I was mad. :D

I was also thinking about colostrum but don't know if it's something you'd have handy @fakediamond...

• Advertisement

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I was gonna suggest liga mixed into water or into chicken broth (seeing as he's drinking water now)... but thought folk would think I was mad. :D

I was also thinking about colostrum but don't know if it's something you'd have handy @fakediamond...

Well I might be able to get it actually as my neighbour has a dairy farm! ;)

Well I might be able to get it actually as my neighbour has a dairy farm! ;)

Well it's nothing if not palatable. I'll admit to having stuck my finger into the dried stuff and it's pretty tasty.... ;)

I hope he's feeling better by tomorrow anyway. Fingers crossed!

I’m glad Oliver is better. I did smile when I saw that he ate a “small Christmas dinner” while feeling sick!

Yes, picked at his dinner, ate half a roast carrot (he loves roast carrots) a few peas and a few scraps of turkey.
    Tiffi on the other hand had turkey, ham, roast carrots, turnip and peas, with a little butternut squash soup drizzled over it, then went to finish Oliver's.
    We don't give potatoes as they make Oliver vomit for some reason, always have, although a little mash seems OK, roasts, chips, new spuds all make him ill.
    He barked for breakfast this morning, and tried to steal cats breakfast too. Think he's back to normal.
    Hope your boy is feeling better.

So here’s Toby this morning, nestling in with Percy Pig, his present from Santa :D

He’s eaten a little turkey this morning and had a mouthful of Greek yoghurt and got some of the cats wet food before I could stop him. Keeping it down so far!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=437254&stc=1&d=1514539300

Yay Toby!
    Hope he continues to improve, he looks cute and comfy,
    I have a soft spot for hairy dogs.

So here’s Toby this morning, nestling in with Percy Pig, his present from Santa :D

He’s eaten a little turkey this morning and had a mouthful of Greek yoghurt and got some of the cats wet food before I could stop him. Keeping it down so far!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=437254&stc=1&d=1514539300

And has stolen the remote from the looks of things! That's normally how I know my husband is feeling better too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Toby looks like Mr C’s doppleganger! Mr C has a really sensitive tummy, genetics we think, we always have some pumpkin purée & some Hills restorative a/d on hand as Mr C can’t eat chicken & has incredibly stinky bum burps if he eats any type of rice.

I’m glad Toby’s feeling a bit better though.

Really em_cat? My instinct told me that it was the antibiotics irritating his tummy, despite the vets protestations! Anway, she rang me at lunchtime to tell me that she thought the same and was stopping the treatment.

He’s much better now, he has grazed through the day and had a small portion of beef stew for his dinner! I’m so relieved as I didn’t know what to do next.

I just need to gradually reintroduce him to boring old kibble again, which I reckon will be challenging after all the tempting morsels he’s had in recent days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Really em_cat? My instinct told me that it was the antibiotics irritating his tummy, despite the vets protestations! Anway, she rang me at lunchtime to tell me that she thought the same and was stopping the treatment.

He’s much better now, he has grazed through the day and had a small portion of beef stew for his dinner! I’m so relieved as I didn’t know what to do next.

I just need to gradually reintroduce him to boring old kibble again, which I reckon will be challenging after all the tempting morsels he’s had in recent days!

Antibiotics can definitely upset tummies & if Toby is anything like our Mr C then I would ask the vet to test for pancreatic insufficiency.

We adopted Mr C at about 2 years old and the 1st thing I did was take out pet insurance, waited 2 weeks, ordered a CBC which included testing for pancreatic insufficiency as I was aware that Yorkies/ Norfolk terriers / Silkies and other terrier types are very prone to such.

Turned out I was right. Now we can only feed a vet prescribed diet which is fortunately also covered by his insurance, but at least I can still order online as it is very expensive. Anyway I’m glad I got the CBC as it has saved time & money on ‘ruling out’ with the help of our Vet we can manage Mr C’s pancreatic insufficiency.

Actually that’s why we keep some of the AD around, I sometimes have to slather Mr. C’s kibble with it to get him back on it.

Happy to hear Toby is feeling better.

• Advertisement

Gah! A bit worried about fireworks later especially with the party in town! :(. I have stuffed hooves if Bailey gets very upset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement