Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Feel better soon Choc Chip, Awful doses going around at the moment. At least they'll make do as hot water bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was away milking in Scotland the last week and came back last night to find a very swollen headed Kovu. I knew he'd been bitten on the head before I left but had it bathed and looked ok before I left. Absolutely full of pus this morning so I've it cleaned out and iodined but he's fecked off outside before I could cone him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Hi all, quick one, here neighbours intact male keeps marking outside our front door and both sides of the communal door in our common corridor & now Mr C is very off because of it. He is fastidiously house trained and considers these areas to be inside so not only is he very confused, but is not budging when we are trying to take him out, so we have to pick him up and then set him down in the lift.

I have to handle this super passive aggressively as in, can't talk to the perpetrating neighbours, so posting here to see if anyone has figured out the best way to clean the areas like medium pile carpet; its navy blue so need to be careful not to bleach.

I know to use an enzymatic cleaner, but was wondering if I could use a solution of nappisan & non-bio as I'm deathly allergic to all bio cleaners. I was thinking that I would put a few drops of tea tree oil & vinegar solution after its been cleaned on our door only.

Thanks

Well that was one stinky episode of secret life at the zoo, Mr C must’ve been super relaxed or super nervous:{

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would the vinegar not encourage them to wee?

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Would the vinegar not encourage them to wee?

I’m not sure, I know when I clean the glazing, we’ve floor to ceiling, using the tea tree & vinegar solution Mr C stays away from it until the scent has dissapated.

But then I googled it; so may leave out the vinegar.

My main concern is the actual cleaning solution, the tea tree is more for a deterrent. I’ve no experience with intact male marking so not sure what the best solution would be.

Sorry, to clarify Mr C is neutered, the neighbors pup isn’t, not terribly sure if it is relevant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

em_cat wrote: »
    I’m not sure, I know when I clean the glazing, we’ve floor to ceiling, using the tea tree & vinegar solution Mr C stays away from it until the scent has dissapated.

But then I googled it; so may leave out the vinegar.

My main concern is the actual cleaning solution, the tea tree is more for a deterrent. I’ve no experience with intact male marking so not sure what the best solution would be.

Sorry, to clarify Mr C is neutered, the neighbors pup isn’t, not terribly sure if it is relevant or not.

The solution is to tell the neighbour to quit letting the dog pee there. Intact has nothing to do with it.

Knine wrote: »
    The solution is to tell the neighbour to quit letting the dog pee there. Intact has nothing to do with it.

Thanks, under normal circumstances that would be optimal, but it’s not an option.

BLEH! Bailey was washed with baby powder shampoo the other day after his session. OMG I'm not a fan of it... but compared to the treadmill water it's the lesser of two evils :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    BLEH! Bailey was washed with baby powder shampoo the other day after his session. OMG I'm not a fan of it... but compared to the treadmill water it's the lesser of two evils :p

I had to give in and buy some baby powder cologne for the parlour as so many people were requesting it, oh my god it gets right up my nose! Smell sticks to me for days, which I suppose is better than wet dog :o

• Advertisement

I had to give in and buy some baby powder cologne for the parlour as so many people were requesting it, oh my god it gets right up my nose! Smell sticks to me for days, which I suppose is better than wet dog :o

Yeah I'm the same.. but the water from the treadmill is a bit murky/musty so I'll settle for the baby powder smell lol!! It's rained so many times this week and every time he gets wet I smell it lol.. compared to muck scented Lucy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

em_cat wrote: »
    Thanks, under normal circumstances that would be optimal, but it’s not an option.
    Do you have a management board you could go to?

kylith wrote: »
    Do you have a management board you could go to?

Hi, we do, but they wouldn’t be in a position to really do anything.

I’ve used a 2:1 of diluted sal suds & napisan. So I’ll just have to wait & see. The caretaker is aware of the situation.

look what one of the dogs did(!) :eek::confused: (lined them up)

440239.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm working from home today and had to take a call for work. About 5 minutes in my little terrier starts going mad with a squeaky toy. I apologised to the caller, took the toy from him and put it up out of his reach, said thank you and went back to the call.

The little brat pauses for a full 5 seconds, looking straight at me and considering his options. Then he promptly turns tail and runs for the good couch (the only one he's not allowed on), hops up and stands and stares right at me until I'm finished on the call and can come and get him down. I'd say it was another 10 minutes with me on the call trying to ignore him, and him delighted with himself staring at me from the couch.

I'm pretty sure I'm being out-maneuvered by a 14-inch tall dog.

Lol lol I was on a call the other week - tons of people on it and my two started to have a game so jumping around the place lol! :p Bailey often comes over to me on ones where I have to use my camera when and gives me his paw non stop just out of the shot lol!

Choc Chip wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I'm being out-maneuvered by a 14-inch tall dog.

woof woof arp woof, ours does the same thing, except he’s 10-inch, ‘thank you’ seems to invite more play...

I see an Irish news app is carrying a story about people campaigning for Ireland to follow Scotland and ban the use of shock collars. I scrolled down to the comments and my god there are some idiots in this country, ranging from 'sure I have to keep my dog in the garden and I can't possibly do it any other way' to 'sure it's only a very mild shock, it doesn't harm the dog in any way' and 'electric fences are the only completely secure way to keep a dog in as they can dig under a wall/fence'.

Yeah I stopped reading comments when it repeal was brought into it! :rolleyes:

Anyways drumroll lol - our first batch of piggies ears are finished and have passed the taste test lol :p

tk123 wrote:
    Anyways drumroll lol - our first batch of piggies ears are finished and have passed the taste test lol

Nice, did you dehydrate them?

• Advertisement

Bells21 wrote: »
    Nice, did you dehydrate them?

Yep. They took 24 hours but were petty hassle free - just rotate the trays every 6 hours or so. You can bake them too.
    I’ve never given them before and wasn’t sure if Bailey would eat them because he won’t eat cows ears - I assumed because of his jaw.. but he ate a pigs ear from the pet shop last week lol so it’s just cow ears he doesn’t like! Whether they’re bald or furry :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Pretty sure we have mice under the floorboards now.

I think that, because a dog who shall remain nameless managed to pull the floorboards apart so that you can see a nice line of underlay between the boards.

Tomorrow's jobs:
    1. Find crow bar.
    2. Attempt to repair floorboards.

P.S. I don't need vermin control tips, I'm just impressed at the dedication it must have taken to pull apart my wooden floorboards....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Pretty sure we have mice under the floorboards now.

I think that, because a dog who shall remain nameless managed to pull the floorboards apart so that you can see a nice line of underlay between the boards.

Tomorrow's jobs:
    1. Find crow bar.
    2. Attempt to repair floorboards.

P.S. I don't need vermin control tips, I'm just impressed at the dedication it must have taken to pull apart my wooden floorboards....

I wonder which dog that was? I had mice in November last. Mine were trying to eat through walls to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Years ago when we just had Coco, we had a mouse that we managed to seal their entry/exit point trapping it in. It used to come out from behind the fridge every night and literally peer around the corner to see was Coco asleep on the couch beside us, before taking kibble from her bowl and bringing them back behind the fridge. She never stirred!

So Bella got groomed today, I had upped her food before Xmas as she still hadn't put back on the weight she lost when she was sick but after today she's going on a diet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bells21 wrote: »
    So Bella got groomed today, I had upped her food before Xmas as she still hadn't put back on the weight she lost when she was sick but after today she's going on a diet!!!

awww poor Bella - fat but looking smart?!?

Ive been making it my business, several times/day, to pick up and cuddle the feral cat - just in case, god forbid, I ever have to take her to the vet again, or need to administer anything - immediately after picking up the feral, I picked up my own little cat - the feral weighs about TWICE what my own cat weighs :D:D:D:D:D she's NOT going on a diet however - dont care if shes fat as a fool - shes about 4 years old, and the vet when I found her told me about her side-effects of being starved for years - I feed her on demand, and boy is she demanding, but she deserves it - maybe when the cold weather is finished, I'll cut back on her food a bit.

She landed on her feet at your house! Mam started feeding some feral cats after her dog passed and she wanted to use up his food and they looked starving and of course she kept feeding them. All still really feral bar one who now likes to come inside for some treats and to clean himself in front of the stove and even curl up in her lap. He doesn't like staying in but the time that he tolerates inside is increasing. He's still not too sure about me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had to put Oliver on a diet when he has his cruciate op, add veggies to dinner and reduce meat/nuts.
    I was worried he was putting on weight again, but had to give him a quick wash this evening as he rolled in otter poo, he's still slim, just floofy.
    He's also a bit pink from the ketchup, chef one stains more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Got 2 young cats, 7 and 8 mnths. Been inside/outside for the last 8 wks is it still too early for flea spot on or should I start now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Joshua J wrote: »
    Got 2 young cats, 7 and 8 mnths. Been inside/outside for the last 8 wks is it still too early for flea spot on or should I start now.

I only ever treat if I see a flea or flea dirt on my cats and dogs, just give them a once over couple times a week, and watch for scratching. Only had to treat my lot once in last two years, fingers crossed this year will be same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement