Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I don't know why but I thought Mr. C was a Yorkie cross. I don't remember seeing a photo anywhere or anything so I'm not sure how I got that impression.

We thought so too as well as the rescue. One of my best friends breeds & shows Silky’s in OZ, she was over a few months ago, and was emphatic that he was a Silky. Turns out there’s an IKC Breeder for them quite near to where he was picked up as a stray. I still refer to him as a Yorkie x most of the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

I remember making an observation one time when our mini schnauzer was a puppy, one ear flipped forward and one flopped backwards for a while. Didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it was cute. A person I said it to suggested that I look into having wire put in along the edge of her ears in order to have them stand up straight. Needless to say that was the last time I spoke with that person and Bella's ears are floppy still, except when she's bullying me to the 'something nice' press and then they most definitely stand up!!

Mr C’s are floppy too except for when he’s interested in something like when we’re playing. But it’s funny, apparently they go up & down as I’m talking. I always think ppl are laughing at me, but they are amused by his ear dance, or say they tell me. They also turn like little radar satellites which I love. I always go beep beep beep and they move it’s funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

I don't know how she does it but my 1 year old cat can catch bumblebees and bring them into the house alive, where she plays (tortures) them for 10 mins before gobbling them up(if the other lad doesn't get there first). Seen her do it half a dozen times now and not get stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Joshua J wrote: »
    I don't know how she does it but my 1 year old cat can catch bumblebees and bring them into the house alive, where she plays (tortures) them for 10 mins before gobbling them up(if the other lad doesn't get there first). Seen her do it half a dozen times now and not get stung.

I am impressed! One of mine got stung and was in utter agony.. drove 30 miles with him screaming...maybe that was a wasp..

• Advertisement

Now that the rain is back, my biggest cat, long haired and huge, is back to determinedly burrowing under my bedclothes to dry off..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Now that the rain is back, my biggest cat, long haired and huge, is back to determinedly burrowing under my bedclothes to dry off..

Haha, my favourite kitty that owned me for years, Zoe, use to sleep in the clean clothes basket, especially after being ironed. She traveled the world with me too and hated going outside.

em_cat wrote: »
    Haha, my favourite kitty that owned me for years, Zoe, use to sleep in the clean clothes basket, especially after being ironed. She traveled the world with me too and hated going outside.

Boycat HATES to be indoors all the time and can open most windows. These days he is often to be found lying on his back in the flowery long grass.. When he comes in he eats anything in sight then crashes as near to me as he can get . Loves in my bed

He is 13 and has been my companion since a kitten. One of the most tactile and physically attached of my cats over the decades. I literally saved his life years ago and he remembers.

It’s funny, after Zoe passed away, I’ve yet to find another cat that I could actually live with. I spent years going to rescues and just couldn’t bond with any of them. I didn’t really rescue her as such, she came into our house and we found her in the middle of the night under my bed. She was roughly about 3 weeks so was bottle fed. We were inseparable for nearly 18 years. In fact all the cats we had growing up where found or found us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh lads, what a day! Brought Milo to the beach and went through every emotion possible!! A big thank you must go to the woman who saw us and brought her two off lead dogs the other direction once she spotted how hesitant we were to pass her!! Milo also met and was nose to nose!!!!! with two other lurchers. For such a reactive dog it was just so amazing to see him interact with other dogs. So proud of him!!

• Advertisement

It’s funny, after Zoe passed away, I’ve yet to find another cat that I could actually live with. I spent years going to rescues and just couldn’t bond with any of them. I didn’t really rescue her as such, she came into our house and we found her in the middle of the night under my bed. She was roughly about 3 weeks so was bottle fed. We were inseparable for nearly 18 years. In fact all the cats we had growing up where found or found us.

They are the best! 18! What a tribute to you!.. Mine are all rescues too. I bred Siamese for decades then when I came to Ireland decided to put something back so sought rescues..

Jacob is my latest. He was handed in to a small rescue when a allergy and house move issue happened and he is a total klutz and totally disarming! Fixes you with his golden eyes then lies sideways and sidles on to your face and neck. purring loudly. An individual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So I've just bit the bullet and ordered a cat run. Been looking at them for probably 10 years now putting it off. Have to wait another few weeks before it arrives, I'll be like a child waiting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I am so tired, pup had me up at 5am, wanted to play, wanted dogs to play, herself and Oliver had a full on discussion rather loudly about it.
    I swear I was less tired with a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Zapperzy wrote: »
    So I've just bit the bullet and ordered a cat run. Been looking at them for probably 10 years now putting it off. Have to wait another few weeks before it arrives, I'll be like a child waiting for Christmas.

You’ll love it, the peace of mind alone is worth any money spent!! My 3 love their days up in the run, I was worried how peach and Cream would take to it after nearly 9 years free roaming but they couldn’t be happier

Mr C is a bit on edge today so our walk wasn’t too pleasant. Now settled so nicely on the cool mat, albeit superglued to me as he thinks we are trying to trick him.

Good thing the OH actually got the large one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You’ll love it, the peace of mind alone is worth any money spent!! My 3 love their days up in the run, I was worried how peach and Cream would take to it after nearly 9 years free roaming but they couldn’t be happier

My two are completely indoor but it's the guilt of them spending nearly their whole lives looking at the same four walls versus the risk of letting them free roam. This is a compromise. Looking forward to being able to keep doors open as well! I've two busy bird feeders that'll keep them entertained, already planning the layout of how I'll fill it :D

So our garden has basically become a wild life sanctuary the last couple of weeks. We starting putting out seed etc for the birds and have ended up with rabbits and squirrels too! Think the rabbits might be burrowing under the barna and last night one of the dogs decided to squeeze himself under to have a nose. I tried calling him out and he could only get as far as his shoulders. Tried biscuits and hotdogs and he still couldn't budge much further. I tried pulling but was afraid I'd hurt him so ended up pulling grass etc out of his way and some how he wiggled himself out as though nothing had happened. Will definitely be buying the picket edging stuff to keep him out. Wouldn't mind but we were celebrating last week as he had lost over 2kg.

Bells21 wrote: »
    So our garden has basically become a wild life sanctuary the last couple of weeks. We starting putting out seed etc for the birds and have ended up with rabbits and squirrels too! Think the rabbits might be burrowing under the barna and last night one of the dogs decided to squeeze himself under to have a nose. I tried calling him out and he could only get as far as his shoulders. Tried biscuits and hotdogs and he still couldn't budge much further. I tried pulling but was afraid I'd hurt him so ended up pulling grass etc out of his way and some how he wiggled himself out as though nothing had happened. Will definitely be buying the picket edging stuff to keep him out. Wouldn't mind but we were celebrating last week as he had lost over 2kg.

Years ago one of my cats went missing 2 days. When he emerged, his head was filthy with dirt and he had been bitten on the jaw.. I reckoned he had gone down a hole, got stuck and been bitten for his intrusion. He had lost so much weight so maybe that is how he managed to reverse out..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SO tired.. Bailey is having a mild panc. flare up so I was up a few times to clean up sick and then he was a bit unsettled moving around. I managed to get him to come upstairs at 1:30 but using a towel as a sling and not giving him a choice! Got sick a few times last night and was a bit unsettled. Small meals often for a few days.. I really want to avoid that painkiller injection he had to have last time - he yelped and cried in pain from it. Just terrible :(

Ahh sorry to hear Bailey’s suffering again, poor thing. Has your Vet ever checked for EPI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »
    Years ago one of my cats went missing 2 days. When he emerged, his head was filthy with dirt and he had been bitten on the jaw.. I reckoned he had gone down a hole, got stuck and been bitten for his intrusion. He had lost so much weight so maybe that is how he managed to reverse out..

An old former huntsman (hounds) neighbour of mine, tells stories of his generations of terriers 'going to ground' and being lost for days and days - some finally managed to get home after loosing so much weight that they could get out of the hole they chased rabbits into - amazing how going in forwards they can get into a hole (adrenelin or red-haze-syndrome after a rabbit) but cant reverse out of it. We had one of said naighbours dogs who would chase anything - my nightmare was his dissapearing into a burrow and getting lost. This old neighbour tells stories of having to dig dogs out of burrows. based on hearing a yelp or a bark - can you imagine!

Ahh sorry to hear Bailey’s suffering again, poor thing. Has your Vet ever checked for EPI?

No it’s not EPI he’s just ‘at risk’ of pancreatitis. He’s been doing great until I got that other food to try! Into the bin with it tonight in time for collection tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

aonb wrote: »
    An old former huntsman (hounds) neighbour of mine, tells stories of his generations of terriers 'going to ground' and being lost for days and days - some finally managed to get home after loosing so much weight that they could get out of the hole they chased rabbits into - amazing how going in forwards they can get into a hole (adrenelin or red-haze-syndrome after a rabbit) but cant reverse out of it. We had one of said naighbours dogs who would chase anything - my nightmare was his dissapearing into a burrow and getting lost. This old neighbour tells stories of having to dig dogs out of burrows. based on hearing a yelp or a bark - can you imagine!

I'd say to do with the hair too! Going backwards they're going against the natural lie of it so there's a lot more friction. We'd see it when calves come backwards, so much more of a pull because of it.

tk123 wrote: »
    No it’s not EPI he’s just ‘at risk’ of pancreatitis. He’s been doing great until I got that other food to try! Into the bin with it tonight in time for collection tomorrow morning

That’s good, mr c has it from his previous life, it was nothing but tons of poo & loose stools for weeks on end and defo nothing raw.

tk123 wrote:

Oh no which food was it that caused the upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

tk123 wrote: »
    SO tired.. Bailey is having a mild panc. flare up so I was up a few times to clean up sick and then he was a bit unsettled moving around. I managed to get him to come upstairs at 1:30 but using a towel as a sling and not giving him a choice! Got sick a few times last night and was a bit unsettled. Small meals often for a few days.. I really want to avoid that painkiller injection he had to have last time - he yelped and cried in pain from it. Just terrible :(

Poor Bailey, hope he's feeling better.

Bells21 wrote: »
    Oh no which food was it that caused the upset?

The raw factory. And I had followed the usual
    Advice of low fat and slowly add other meats, treats with slightly more fat etc etc without any probs since the last flare up in April.

:(
    Zzzzz was up again at 4:00 with him. Going to make an apt for him.

One of my neighbours has a silver merle working collie. never met one before and looking him in the eyes is weird... Sleek patterned coat. And so active and supple..Beautiful dog as he rounds up cattle..

My FB memory... look who we brought home 5 years ago :p

456714.png

• Advertisement

Watching wee dog and some calves weighing each other up through a fence, while mommacows watched watchfully..

Dog is meeting so many new critters and is not sure what they are.. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement