Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My big boy gets matts but they do not worry him ....they fall off or I get them when he is asleep. Is the concern simpply cosmetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'd avoid scissors with a cat too.
    Clippers are best idea but it's catching her that's the problem.
    Overweight cats can have difficulty reaching some places and the heat we've had hasn't helped.
    Our own long hairs cat has shed more hair than I thought possible without going bald, she got some matting too around the bloomers, with gentle brushing every day we've managed to work them loose, some fell out others came out while brushing. She doesn't like being handled and is very skittish, so it wasn't easy.
    If it's just a few matted bits they should fall out, but if it's forming a hard shell like lump then your only option is shaving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »
    My big boy gets matts but they do not worry him ....they fall off or I get them when he is asleep. Is the concern simpply cosmetic?
    Not at all. She's a beautiful cat, I was worried about health issues

mymo wrote: »
    I'd avoid scissors with a cat too.
    Clippers are best idea but it's catching her that's the problem.
    Overweight cats can have difficulty reaching some places and the heat we've had hasn't helped.
    Our own long hairs cat has shed more hair than I thought possible without going bald, she got some matting too around the bloomers, with gentle brushing every day we've managed to work them loose, some fell out others came out while brushing. She doesn't like being handled and is very skittish, so it wasn't easy.
    If it's just a few matted bits they should fall out, but if it's forming a hard shell like lump then your only option is shaving

Was hoping someone would say they fall off. This very elderly neighbour wouldn't have anything to do with a vet. Animals live or die. She is old school. I trapped the litter of kittens this one came from and had them TNR. I brought her elderly dog to be pts as it was suffering. Taking this cat to the vet to have it shaved and treated would be just a step too far I feel 8-( will have a think...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

LOL LOL my friend :p..

Bailey was 'suba diving' yesterday ie head under the water at something (which he went back for this morning - half a tennis ball)
    Anyways... he was rooting around under water and my friend starts to get worried.. (he was on Flexi so he didn't go off wandering)
    'Pull him back in! Pull him back in! He hasn't come up for air ...he'll be DEPRIVED OF OXYGEN!!'

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had to wash the puppy yesterday, she's been getting in the litter tray, got pee'd on a few times (walking under a clocked leg) and was a bit smelly.
    It was all good at first, she was biting the water from the shower head, splashing in the bath, then she realised she was wet and tried to jump out of the bath :)

mymo wrote: »
    We had to wash the puppy yesterday, she's been getting in the litter tray, got pee'd on a few times (walking under a clocked leg) and was a bit smelly.
    It was all good at first, she was biting the water from the shower head, splashing in the bath, then she realised she was wet and tried to jump out of the bath :)

no photo?!?!?!?!?!?!?

walking under a cocked leg - brilliant! nice warm pee she wouldnt notice that she was getting wet either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Mr C to the rescue!

Went to take him out & he refused to go, little did I know 10 mins later I’d drop like a sack of potatoes.

Mad dose of food poisoning.

Now curled like a fox next me keeping me warm. What a gent. If he’d just refill my ginger ale...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Feel better soon em_cat! :)

Thanks all, much better today. OH had to give Mr C his walk today so he’s been a bit off since I am to tired to play:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Diefer had his Responsible Dog Ownership silver test today. The examiner was Mike O'Brien from Galway Dog Club. He stopped me using food rewards. Then I noticed a GSD wearing a prong collar, and when I questioned it, was told that it was allowed, so I walked off the test.
    Diefer is now 9 months old, he is mischievous, bouncy and fearless, and that's the way I want him to stay, no certificate is worth a fearful, abused dog.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Diefer had his Responsible Dog Ownership silver test today. The examiner was Mike O'Brien from Galway Dog Club. He stopped me using food rewards. Then I noticed a GSD wearing a prong collar, and when I questioned it, was told that it was allowed, so I walked off the test.
    Diefer is now 9 months old, he is mischievous, bouncy and fearless, and that's the way I want him to stay, no certificate is worth a fearful, abused dog.

I don't even know what to say! That's shocking. Fair play to you for walking out. I would have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

muddypaws wrote: »

I'm really, really proud of you, muddypaws.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

+1 a million times over Muddypaws, I hope you had a few choice words to say too! Diefer is a super lucky doggo indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Poor Creamy had to spend the night in hospital last night. I noticed the night before he ran out of his litter tray as if something startled him and he spent ages licking himself after. I just thought he was being his normal weird self, but yesterday I looked at him out in the run and he spent 15 minutes straining to go to the toilet and nothing came out.
    Brought him down to the house again and he did the same thing on the floor which he never does. We rushed him in to the emergency vets so they kept him in overnight to see if he will go to the toilet so they can get a sample.
    After everything with Dude, I am taking no risks when it comes to bladders!! Going to be waiting by the phone all morning for them to ring. The house is so quiet without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Fingers crossed that all will be well with cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get well soon Creamy! :(

They took a urine sample from him and found crystals in it. He has to stay in again tonight to see can he go to the toilet by himself and if not they may have to do a procedure on him tomorrow.
    I am cursing all bladders everywhere!!!

Sorry to hear that SillyMangoX, two paws 🾠up he recovers soon!

Another night in hospital for the poor baby tonight. He was peeing a little freer yesterday but was straining a lot again this morning so they're going to put him under anesthetic and put in a catheter to drain him. But he's most unusual apparently, because he's still eating and drinking and in fantastic form looking for attention, and his bladder isn't overly massive which it should be at this stage. Hopefully once he has been emptied we will have a better picture of whats going on, they'll ring again tonight for another update!

Edit, just another little update. They passed a catheter and drained his bladder which lead to them getting a clean urine sample to test. They expected to see a ton of crystals but there was none! There was however a massive amount of blood and leukocytes, which surprised the vet as the sample didn’t look as if it would show that. So he’s got a massive infection, he’s going to have the catheter in til at least Friday, so hopefully we will have him home by the weekend. He’ll have to start on a prescription food afterwards. So if anyone has suggestions on how to manage a prescription diet in a multi cat household, I’m all ears!!

• Advertisement

Ahhh poor Creamy :( seriously though, it’s obvs you’ll have to build him his own kitchen! meeeow...

Mr C has touched the sticky! Next step the world!

Sorry, we are task training...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

So the dark nights are back and we are back walking in town. It's bin collection tomorrow so everyone's bins were out. Who could've guessed that you need to spend an hour sniffing every.single.one?!? I can only assume this is the dog equivalent of getting lost in Facebook/Instagram profiles and getting all the goss!

Bells21 wrote: »
    So the dark nights are back and we are back walking in town. It's bin collection tomorrow so everyone's bins were out. Who could've guessed that you need to spend an hour sniffing every.single.one?!? I can only assume this is the dog equivalent of getting lost in Facebook/Instagram profiles and getting all the goss!

Ha, bin day is Mr C’s favourite days! But the then again walking the city centre is bin day every day...

Cream is home :D on new food and lots of antibiotics and painkillers, and we have to make sure he drinks loads too. But he is so so happy to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Welcome home Cream :)

I found a puppy today. In the middle of a road. I started out thinking.. 'I hope this poor puppy wasn't dumped'. Within about five minutes I'd fallen in love and was thinking.. 'I kinda hope this puppy was dumped!' Just so I could keep her you know! Not 'cause I'm evil or anything :D She was such a sweet little thing and just jumped into my arms.

We found the owner after some time. She was searching for her. Which is obviously great news. But now I'm puppy broody!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Ghost runs and hides when it's time to go anywhere in the van, even though the vast majority of trips are for nice things like walks. He now goes to agility on Wednesday evening and loves it so is happy to go to the van. We went to the Saturday class today, he ran away this morning, he obviously knew what day of the week it is.

But now I'm puppy broody!

Ha, that’s what I say to mr c when he’s misbehaving, I threaten to trade him in for a puppy and a cat if he’s being really naughty!

My OH though is like oh sh*t* she’s serious...

• Advertisement

em_cat wrote: »
    Ha, that’s what I say to mr c when he’s misbehaving, I threaten to trade him in for a puppy and a cat if he’s being really naughty!

My OH though is like oh sh*t* she’s serious...

Haha! I'm sure my OH knew today I was hoping to keep her. He was probably in a sweat trying to find the owner! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement