Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

mymo wrote: »
    You'd think they were starved!
    My two didn't even finish their breakfast this morning and an hour or so later they did that.
    There's still a few crisps in the grass outside, they only ate a few.

This was Diesel a few years ago, managed to get the jar off the table in the kitchen, into the living room, get the lid off and eat the marmalade. No glass broken, still don't know how he did it, but it is impressive. :P

Dieselmarmalade2-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

My 'angel' has been known to clear baking that I had left to cool. Not a crumb or bun case left and I still have no idea how she got to it. I could have sworn it was safely out of her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

My guys have a system with the groceries: Cat jumps onto the table and hits things down with her paws for the dog. One time it was eggs all over the carpet :(

Cinnamon went outside the back today and ate a load of grass them came in and promptly threw it all up, along with undigested biscuits. Didn't even get a chance to clean it up before Poppy gobbled it all off the carpet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

muddypaws wrote: »
    This was Diesel a few years ago, managed to get the jar off the table in the kitchen, into the living room, get the lid off and eat the marmalade. No glass broken, still don't know how he did it, but it is impressive. :P

That is impressive, my two have had frozen fish and frozen veg, assorted bread products(bagels,scones etc), salad, cheese, and once a tub of marshmallows from aldi, round plastic tub, tight fitting lid, he opened it without a mark on it, on the sofa!
    I walk in to room to see a load of marshmallows on sofa and shout at daughter about eating junk before dinner, she swears it wasn't her...
    Later I smell them on the dogs breath when he sits on sofa beside me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

K left a rasher sandwich on the counter once, came back in and half of it was gone. So perfectly removed that he assumed I had taken it, so sat down to eat the rest. Then he realised that I don't eat bacon - must have been Harley.

My computer crashed and had to go for repairs, we got it back yesterday and every single picture I had on it is gone. :( Thankfully I have a lot on facebook etc but I'm a bit upset over not having the originals.

K said "oh don't worry, the wedding photos are on disks" - I didn't have the heart to tell him that the dog photos were what I was upset about, not the wedding ones :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mine actually don't rob food. Once only a short while after we rescued him Benson did rob a tub of pate off the counter but he knows now that it's not a good behaviour. He's actually really cute when there's food about, he sits at the side of the counter and peeps around it, slowly shifting around a little bit and then sits with one paw in front of the other waiting to give the paw in case there's something going! They do stick their heads into the bags as I'm trying to unload them out of the car, just to see is there any meaty treats:D

Coco does however do this thing when himself is eating. She climbs up on the sofa behind him (he's on a high stool) and puts her head on his shoulder, on the off chance he may miss his mouth. Sometimes a lizard style lick comes close to the fork if there's something nice on it!

This is her in position, and Benson trying to get in on the action as well. There must have been something nice on the plate! (I had to crop most of himself out, he hates featuring on the t'internet!)
    I6wW5QDl.jpg

And the view from behind. She makes sure that he knows she's there!
    36Ybe3rl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Mr P is working nightshift this week so Felix was guarding me in bed last night. That involves jumping into the middle of my knees when I'm asleep and me having to manouver myself like a contortionist until I get so uncomfortable I just move over to the cold side of the bed. Jazzy came to join the party at about 3am, he was letting me know that Toby was asleep in the basket outside the back door, despite the fact that I'd propped open the catflap for him to come in and go asleep.

Although I think Toby enjoys having a snug bed outdoors. He looks like he's got a smile on his face when he's sprawled in his dog sized fleece bed. Mr P left the back door open for some reason when he came in this morning and black puss bypassed the cat trap and was tucking into the applaws in the kitchen when he went to shut the door:rolleyes: Thats the first time he's been back in over a week too. The other black cat was someone elses cat. Jeez like piccadilly circus for cats here lately:D

On the waiting list with the Cat Hospital for a cat trap for miss stray (currently calling her George. I doubt I'll settle on something until I spend time with her properly).

Attempted to catch her with a homemade trap this morning. I got Poppys crate, which is like a really big cat carrier, the door is nice and smooth shutting and tied some twine-string stuff to the bottom of the door and had it long enough so I could sit on the opposite side of the yard and pull the string to shut the door. Had two bowls of food in the back for her, one some mackerel I got her from Tesco and the other her usual mix of meat and biscuits. Clever cat climbed in and stretched out, leaving her back legs sticking out of the cage :rolleyes:
    She then took a mouthful of food and backed out, second time she went in she went in the whole way but I shut the door too slowly and she backed out on time.
    Guess I'll try again tonight, and if that fails I'll just wait for the proper trap.

Yeah I thought it would be easy to trap the chap that's been coming here but today is the first time he's been back. I think cats have an innate fear of traps. George is a nice name, I like it. Toby has almost gone through the entire supply of catnip we have so I had to order more from England. It's funny how some of the smaller independent sellers have a better variety and lower prices than the bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

€94,000,000 won in Ireland on the Euromillions...anyone here?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

TillyGirl wrote: »
    €94,000,000 won in Ireland on the Euromillions...anyone here?!

I got a text a 3am telling me I'd won that... And a 5 series BMW... And here was me dismissing it as spam :P

No sign of my usual stray this morning but I put out her food anyway and looked out just there to see a different cat entirely (one I've never seen before) eating her breakfast.
    Went out and he's a youngish unneutered Tom cat. Super friendly and super skinny. Big paws, much like my usual stray and a similar size - I wonder could they be related?
    Anyway he came running over for hugs, full of chat. Lots of scratches on his wee nose and white chewing gum (? something sticky and white anyway) all stuck to his side :(
    I tried to remove the gum but he got a bit growly and left.. if he comes back I'll bring him in and try and cut the gum out, the poor wee monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I was just on my way out to the back garden when literally right beside me a little bird flew (read: crashed) in between the wall and the shed. Took a peek in and it looked like a starling. Managed to usher it out the other side and it made it's way over to the corner of the garden before deciding to hop in behind the oil tank.

I've left it there so as not to give the poor thing a heart attack and in the hope that it's parents (who are calling it from somewhere) can coax it out. Don't know what it's going to do then, it doesn't seem able to fly too well.

What's the normal course of action here? Leave it alone and hope the 6 cats next door don't get it? I'd like to help but don't want to stress it or interfere if I shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Quite often with fledglings after they fall on their first attempt to fly the parents will continue to look after them, they will still bring it food and care for it, so in most cases it's leave well alone and just keep and eye that the parents are coming. However since there are so many cats around I wonder would it be the best thing to move it? Is there any local animal charities you could give a call to ask for advise I wonder?

I'm sitting in a tattoo studio at the moment getting my biggest piece so far.
    It's actually surprisingly not painful, I've had far worse cat scratches!!!

I had to intervene, I looked out the window and there were 3 cats surrounding the tank so I went out, said hello to them (that sounds sinister, I just petted them!) and while I was doing that, the little eejit came out from behind the tank. One of the cats went for him but I hunted it and it went up a tree growling. Meanwhile your man was hopping around in the bushes with the others closing in so I put a tea towel over him and now he's in a ventilated box. The cats have gone so I'm going to leave him back out again as he's chirping away and so are they outside.

Oh I'm so jealous! I've wanted to get my first tattoo for nearly 8 years now but between having no solid ideas and a lack of money, I've never gotten around to it. What are you getting done?

Ah the poor little guy, can be really hard this time of year with fledgelings when there are so many cats around!!

I got my first sitting done of the white rabbit from alice in wonderland, it's my 5th one now! Getting so addicted :p

Well I left him back out in his box, he hopped out and went into the bushes. Cats appeared instantly. He was having trouble climbing up so I put my hand in and he actually stood on it so I acted as an elevator and moved him up a bit. Left him alone for the parents to try mount a rescue operation. Can't hear or see them any more so hopefully it all worked out for him.

Gah, that sounds awesome. I had a snoop and found your posts in T&P, nice ink! Love all of them! I've a few pins of tattoos on Pintrest that I like and wish I'd thought of before someone else, like this one.

9144236398_9381e9bc46_z.jpg
    FoxTattoo by Cocolola18, on Flickr

I'd never steal someone else's, but I love this!

thanks :D That fox is so cool!! Most artists wont copy someone elses design like that, but im sure they could do something similar if you were tempted :P

No sign of my usual stray this morning but I put out her food anyway and looked out just there to see a different cat entirely (one I've never seen before) eating her breakfast.
    Went out and he's a youngish unneutered Tom cat. Super friendly and super skinny. Big paws, much like my usual stray and a similar size - I wonder could they be related?
    Anyway he came running over for hugs, full of chat. Lots of scratches on his wee nose and white chewing gum (? something sticky and white anyway) all stuck to his side :(
    I tried to remove the gum but he got a bit growly and left.. if he comes back I'll bring him in and try and cut the gum out, the poor wee monkey.
    They might be related. I've noticed that once you start feeding one stray the others soon follow:) Unfortunately there are so many abandoned cats now. If only people would get their cats neutered/spayed when they get them it would at least stop the cycle of unwanted litters of kittens being born. Poor little things get into so many fights and risk disease from fighting with other males. At least he's getting some food now.

They might be related. I've noticed that once you start feeding one stray the others soon follow:) Unfortunately there are so many abandoned cats now. If only people would get their cats neutered/spayed when they get them it would at least stop the cycle of unwanted litters of kittens being born. Poor little things get into so many fights and risk disease from fighting with other males. At least he's getting some food now.

I lived in the city center of Galway for 4 years and the worst I seen was a Seagull nestling abandoned by his parents (I raised him and released him when he was old enough:) ) so when I moved to the suburbs in Cork and all these stray cats and wandering dogs have come as quite a shock for me.
    I think when I'm working again and have funds I'll attempt to TNR the strays around, it makes me so sad to think of them bringing more kittens into that situation.
    I seen a chart the other day and the amount of babies that two cats and all their offspring can produce over the years is mind blowing.
    Hope the new fellow comes back, I've never seen a cat so skinny before :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've eyes like this :eek: today.

had to leave my dog on her own yesterday (inside) for 9 hours due to family funeral and no other options. She didnt even get more than a token walk to the grass across the road before and after as I was on my own with the kids and couldnt really go any further.

Last night she barked non stop til 3am....non.bloody.stop :mad:
    by god she'll be tired by the time I finish with her today...there'll be no barking tonight... no siree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have fun everyone, I'm going to take a break from API for a while, changing my username had no effect, but thats probably because I stupidly let it be known who I used to be. :D I'm not deleting my account, so if anyone needs me for anything in particular, you can pm me and I'll get an email notification.

Have fun and enjoy your animals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Bailey's leg gave way this morning when he was running. He got up and was fine afterwards but this is the third time in a week he's slipped like that - he was fine afterwards each time no limping or holding it up but worried sick now. I'm going to rest him for a week with short walks but will have to take him for a check-up which i'm really really dreading in case she gives us bad news! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Oh no :( poor you. Go get the check up out of the way as soon as you can before you drive yourself mad imagining worst case scenarios.

Yep, at least if you get the check up, you'll know, one way or the other. I'd be the same, worrying about worst case scenarios, it would keep me awake at night:(

On a lighter note TK, dogsfirst have some half price chubs going a begging, mainly smaller ones, might suit to stock up for Lucy prior to her arrival?

Know how you feel TK, our dog has got a sprained ankle at the moment. I have my uncle on strict orders to give her a weeks rest, out to the toilet on lead etc. Went out this morning to the cats only to find her running full pelt across the field :mad: So annoying when people ask me for veterinary advice then disregard it completely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

On a lighter note TK, dogsfirst have some half price chubs going a begging, mainly smaller ones, might suit to stock up for Lucy prior to her arrival?

Was that on FB? I'm on a course (IT) all week..9:00-7:00pm (well we left later on mon and tues) KNACKERED - was nodding off there - the shame lol!! :P We're in the basement with no 3G and there's no wifi - I'm having withdrawal symptoms from not having constant internet access! :pac:

I'll call the vet and make an appointment - can't take him tomorrow and don't know if she's in this weekend so will probably be monday evening. I'm going to go ahead with his hydro tomorrow since it's not weight bearing and he's not lame or anything.

Just got back from checking on tail-less puss. He/she is still there. Both of the bowls of food I'd left over the days are totally empty. I couldn't check yesterday as there were council workers cutting back trees where she usually is. She ate 2 full pouches while I was in the supermarket and she was still there when I got back. I bought a bowl and filled it with cold water and left her 2 more pouches.

I don't know how perverts don't get caught hiding in bushes, I was getting some funny looks from passers by wondering what a woman was doing mooching about in bushes and trees. Got a good few pics then my phone went nuts and I lost all but 7 of my pics on my phone. There was a message about the memory card being corrupted or something.I had loads of great photos of Felix and Jazzy and 1 of Mr P:D Bloody frustrating. He'/she is far too thin though.

tk123 wrote: »
    Was that on FB? .

Yep, he says just order online and you'll get double. Might be worth emailing or texting him tonight to see whats left though. Offer ends Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Just saw the half price gRAW myself. If I hadn't just take a delivery from the meat wagon at lunchtime I'd have bought a couple of boxes. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement