Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yep, he says just order online and you'll get double. Might be worth emailing or texting him tonight to see whats left though. Offer ends Sunday.

thanks!...oh wait it's the fishy one! Half price is half price though lol! Maybe I'll stock up - I'll have to suss out how much space we have this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I'm off to Dublin this weekend so the dogs have gone to the dog minder. They've been there before, the lady is very nice and has dogs of her own, Bernese Mountain dogs, in fact whom my terrier cross Rosie likes to boss around, unfortunately.

Anyway, they went off this afternoon and about half an hour ago, I got a phone call from the dog minder. My mind immediately went to "Who bit what? Who sat on who? What was broken?!" but it turned out she only rang to check with me that it was okay to give them some chicken because she knows that one of mine, Jack, has a delicate stomach sometimes. I said, "but they got fed this morning." "REally?" she replied, "They didn't tell me that. When I went to feed my own dogs, they sat watching politely and I didn't think it was hospitable to leave them out." Hee.

Then I asked were they okay with the other dogs because sometimes when they meet other dogs, they can be a bit rude. Nothing snarly or vicious, just a lot of "HEY YOU! YEAH YOU! HEY YOU! NO STAY OVER THERE DON'T COME OVER BECAUSE I'M ALL TALK AND I JUST LIKE TO BARK...HEY IS THAT A BLADE OF GRASS?? WOW! THIS PLACE HAS EVERYTHING!" But apparently, they've integrated extremely well again. She introduced them, there was a bit of oddness from my Meg, which is nothing new. She takes a while to adjust to new people and situations but once she gets used to you, she claims you as her BFF, and Rosie apparently told one of the Bernese Mountain dogs that she was back by pushing past him and the dog moved the hell out of her way.

I am so glad they're okay. I knew they would be but I'm glad to have it confirmed. The dog minder said that they'd spent most of the evening running around her one acre. No wonder they're wrecked when they come home.

Ah that's great news that the dogs are settled - you can enjoy your trip now without stressing about them!!

Vets tomorrow at 4:40 (will probably be more like 5:40 lol) I was trying to record him walking earlier - the poor dog didn't know what I was up to lol!! But got a good video of him walking and looking back at his back/hip to show her.

Ordered my BOGOF gRaw there too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

LucyBliss is that lady in Galway? If so would you mind PM'ing me her details as I'm looking for a dog minder for my fella in August and he doesn't do well in kennels.

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah that's great news that the dogs are settled - you can enjoy your trip now without stressing about them!!

Do you know, I didn't even realise how much it was on my mind until I hung up the phone and realised I felt a lot better all of a sudden. She also said they had lovely personalities. I will fully admit that I preened slightly. As I've the been he one who raised them literally since birth and have been responsible for their training, it's on me if they behave like loo-lahs! My last words to them as they went into the van was "Remember to be good! Company manners, everyone!" Heh.

Cocolola, yes she's in County Galway. Mine wouldn't do well in kennels either. I mean, how could they when they're indoor dogs and used to people talking around and to them and generally petting the hell out of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

littlebug wrote: »
    by god she'll be tired by the time I finish with her today...there'll be no barking tonight... no siree :pac:

talking to myself...kinda normal for me :o
    9am- 1 mile walk = 20 mins or so.
    2pm- 3 mile walk = 1 hour-ish
    7pm- 4 mile run in the woods= 40 mins-ish.

I think I made up for yesterdays neglect :) She's completely flaked on her bed now. If there's any barking tonight I'll be too tired to notice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Cocolola, yes she's in County Galway. Mine wouldn't do well in kennels either. I mean, how could they when they're indoor dogs and used to people talking around and to them and generally petting the hell out of them!

Can you PM me too please?

PM'd you, TillyGirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Took a different route while walking Poppy yesterday and we came across and big fenced in playing field so we took her in to have a run around. Our yard isn't too small by any means, but it was great to see is her get to really run. Some speed in her for a small dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Lying in my kingsize bed, right by the edge, cos animals have taken it over!
    Came up to find oliver and mouse in it, then Jake arrived, its dark but I suspect Toby may be here too, Tiffi is in my daughter's bed!
    They do like a bit of comfort don't they:)

• Advertisement

Back from the vets - she thinks it's soft tissue damage so rest for 2 weeks and if there's no improvement in for xrays. His hocks and implants are fine thank god!! Now I can spend the weekend working out how to tetris 2 boxes of graw into the freezers lo!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    Back from the vets - she thinks it's soft tissue damage so rest for 2 weeks and if there's no improvement in for xrays. His hocks and implants are fine thank god!! Now I can spend the weekend working out how to tetris 2 boxes of graw into the freezers lo!! :D

Eat all the human food:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Our animals have a cupboard to themselves, just for bowls, bedding, water bottles, toys etc, not to mention the food!

My dad is coming today, staying for a week, I have found Toby, Oliver and Mouse in his bed at various times this morning, I don't think he'll be sleeping alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude has gotten in to a phase of kneading. He always did it a bit as he was settling down to sleep, but now he just climbs up on me and will spend anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes stamping all over me! He doesn't go to sleep after or anything, he just hops down and continues what he was doing. He doesn't do it to anyone else, just me. Should I be worried that he is trying to tenderize me to have as his next meal? :P
    He also has a new obsession with climbing into the sink and dig dig dig digging! I thought at first he was digging it because he needed the litter tray, but no, he just likes to sit in there and dig! Must like the feel of the cold metal or something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix has been doing exactly the same kneading thing with Mr P and only Mr P for months now, it started when Mr P had a chest infection. Like Dude he'll do it for ages and then just jump down and continue with whatever he was doing first. Maybe the sink digging is Dude chasing his shadow. Jazzy sometimes digs at his shadow on the lino in the kitchen when the sun is shining in the open back door.

Toby showed up with a stiff kind of a limp this morning. I can't see anything obvious but I can smell infection somewhere on him. He's still doing so much brawling though, despite being neutered. I'm going to keep an eye on him and see how he is, I might have to take him to the vet next week. I was hoping to avoid anymore vet bills until next month though.

He needs to start his vaccinations and it cost 183 to get him treated when I brought him to vet the first time, although that covered an awful lot and it cost 170 for Felix a couple of weeks after that but the insurance covers anything over the 100 euro excess. Oh and the cooker packed up a few days before Toby's vet trip, that was just short of 500:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Has anyone given their cats the new natures menu frozen nuggets for cats? I usually get the pouchs but saw that they're doing the nuggets. Wondering if they're worth getting? Also got duck necks for nala and they gave her the runs :( i've 15kg of them so anyone got any ideas of how to stop them upsetting her tummy. If i gave half the amount and mix with pasta would that help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

awww :( out of sorts seasick doggie . She's made this journey with us loads of times before and been fine. Usually we stay out on deck but it was pretty tough and choppy today so we stayed inside. I thought she was starting to look a bit off :o. Thankfully she hadnt eaten but lets just say things were rather loose at the tail end this evening.
    she'll be fine tomorrow,all the more so because she gets to sleep on the sofa for a fortnight, a luxury she doesnt get at home.

Poor Bailey keeps going to the front door asking me why we're not going out on an adventure! Fed up with his short walks already! :(

The catnip toys I ordered arrived this morning. I got 2 boomerang shaped catnip filled toys, and a few other bits and bobs. Felix is rolling around like a mad kitten. Jazzy tried to have a sniff of it and promptly got chased under the kitchen table. I'm keeping one seperate for Toby until he shows up later. I want him to have a toy that no other cat has played with. I don't think he's ever had any toys, he doesn't seem to know what to do with them and runs away if you try to play with him. He does love the catnip though.

The Feliway arrived as well, thank God. It's a bit tense here these days. The cat I've been trying to tnr isn't showing up often and the trap is freaking Felix and Jazzy out, so Felix is redirecting that stress at attacks on Toby so it's a vicious circle, literally.

I got Feliway for my cat one time when we were going on hols and leaving him with the boys - he camped out beside the diffuser for 2 weeks lol! :p

• Advertisement

Think my stray is in season. Last few days I've noticed quite a few other (skinny) cats I didn't recognize hanging around my yard and fighting in the neighbors driveway.
    Tonight I looked out the window to see George in her usual spot waiting for dinner so I went out and fed her, and noticed a big black (very, very vocal) cat I hadn't seen before, so I said I'd leave food out for it as well so it wouldn't fight with George.
    Anyway George was acting very much in the way they Cinnamon did when she went into heat before she got spayed. She wasn't quite presenting herself yet, but she was coming much closer that usual to me (within a foot, compared to her usual meter and a half) and putting her back end up in the air loads.
    I spent a good hour out there with some mince trying to coax her over to me (Managed to touch her for the first time, but she was too quick for me to pick up). Just want to bring her in and away from any Toms (and get her spayed soon as she's out of season) because the last thing this neighborhood needs is even more kitties running around.
    We had a funny little system going on though.. I'd put some mince on a stick and hold it out and she'd eat it off the end :pac:
    Then instead of sharing with the other cat she'd take a bite from one bowl of food, then a bite from the other and so forth :rolleyes:

I'm going to rig up my trap again for the morning and try and get her that way.

The sooner you can trap her the better, they often get more affectionate when they're in season and it's awful for the female cats. Not to mention the males doing each other some serious damage. If only people would get the message about spaying/neutering cats. Keep persevering anyway. If you can trap her and get her spayed you might be able to confine her indoors in a safe room to recover and get used to you and yours. Toby got out on us and it's made the process so much slower and trickier getting our other 2 to accept him.

I remember when Cinnamon was in season it was awful she was pacing and screaming and just generally acting like she was in pain. It was horrible :(
    I'm still waiting for a call about a proper trap so I'll use my homemade one again tomorrow. She was so friendly today I was actually certain I was going to be able to scoop her up and bring her in.
    I've a 3 bedroom house and it's just me and my OH living here so the plan is to use the single room as a recovery/confinement room when I eventually manage to catch her.
    It's been 32 days today that she's shown up twice a day without fail which makes me so ridiculously happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Isabella has to go to the vet tonight. :( She has a bald patch on her bum by her scent glands. I hope it's nothing major, I did a little research online that seems to say it's normal for older hammies, but I still want to make sure she's ok. Might see about getting her nails trimmed while we're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hopefully she will get a clean bill of health. I hate when our animal babies are poorly, you would love if they could just say a few words to let you know how they are feeling.

Layinghen wrote: »
    you would love if they could just say a few words to let you know how they are feeling.

+1

I took Bailey for a walk earlier - thought the park would be a safe option since it was dull and had been raining so would nice and empty... Now nothing happened but I was freaking out that a dog would run over to him and he'd get hurt. I've been through 2 recoveries from his surgeries walking him with a broken leg held together with pins and plates and a gap between the 2 bones and was never this stressed out!! :(
    Thinking of getting some 'I need space' harness covers/bandanna for him I don't really care if people think I'm crazy if they do the job!

Finding it so hard to sleep tonight thinking about poor dude all alone in the vets :( I wish I had him back in bed kneading on me and chewing my chin at 6am!

Aww poor dude!! :( I had a young cat saunter out into the road in front of me this morning on the way to work - I could see it ahead oblivious of my car so slowed down...it stopped in front of me when there was cars coming on the other side - other driver slowed down but the cat had no idea what to do! I ended up beeping at it and it ran back the way it came into the apartments!!
    Going to attempt some 'I need space' patches today - decided I didn't want to wait for them in the post!

TK, I don't know how well it's known so I don't know would it help, but there's this thing I've seen on FB where you tie a yellow ribbon to a dogs lead, or have a yellow bandana on them and it's meant to be the international symbol for 'I need space!'.

• Advertisement

TK, I don't know how well it's known so I don't know would it help, but there's this thing I've seen on FB where you tie a yellow ribbon to a dogs lead, or have a yellow bandana on them and it's meant to be the international symbol for 'I need space!'.

Yeah its called the yellow dog program - I know one of the girls who runs the Irish page. I've made up some patches for his harness to attach with velcro. If it works I'll post a pic of my masterpiece later :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement