Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I put dudes favourite mouse in there this morning to see what he would do, he grabbed it and ran bouncing around the house with it, absolutely delighted with himself :D Although now I fear I may have created a monster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix and Jazzy have taken up residence on our bed during the day, we've got blackout curtains on the bedroom window so it's nice and cool in there. Toby vanishes until late evening, we still have no idea what he gets up to wherever he goes. Toby got upstairs unnoticed by the 2 of them the other night, Felix wasn't thrilled when we went to bed that night, he was having a good sniff around of everywhere Toby had been.

The stray we're trying to trap has been for breakfast a few times this week, I'm putting out 2 pouches at a time with water mixed in and theres a bowl of nuts too. So at least it's getting food and water. It was there last night peeking in at me, so thin:( When we went to put food and water out for Summer yesterday there was a black and white cat hiding in the undergrowth watching us. So at the moment we're feeding 6 cats

They must all be spreading the word that there's free food at your place!! :P We used to leave out food for the farm ferals across the road, but after 2 got knocked over we had to stop as there was just too much of a risk in them crossing the road to us. I remember coming home from college one Friday around 9pm, pulled up to the drive way only to find 2 mother cats and 16 kittens all frolicking around!! It was truly amazing! The mother cats were terrified of us, as were most of the kittens, but there was about 3 who came up to us all loving. One in particular was a little blue fuzzball, long hair little dote. I brought out a load of food for them and they all ate there fill and went away home. I still wonder what posessed the mammy cats to bring all their babies over here!!

It isn't even our place, I pass it on the way to the shopping centre:) I've just been wiping Felix and Jazzy down with a cold wet flannel to cool them down. They seemed to enjoy it. I've got ice in the water bowl, doesn't last long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

The amount of fur around my house right now in unbelievable! I was patting Cinnamon earlier and was coming away with handfuls of fur with each stroke! I think I might need to buy a brush tomorrow and try and brush some of it out, they must be so warm with all that extra fur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D:D:D

Harley ADORES his pool. He's been in it splashing around for ages. Just jumping in, sploshing water everywhere, jumping out, having a mad run around the garden, ending with another dive in the pool. I've had to take him out and put him to bed with a bone because he just keeps jumping in for a splash. It's so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Brought Lexi and Ozzie to the lake for a paddle around. There was an old springer in swimming and when he came out he came over and soaked me. I didn't care I was just after walking in the water with the dogs but the owner kept hitting him and kept trying to drag him back to the car by the neck. The poor dog was roaring in pain.

I was shouting over at him to stop but he ignored me. He done it later on again a few times but he didn't even pretend he heard me telling him to stop. So upsetting, just don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Last day of my hols today, back to work tomorrow, hadn't planned on getting up until about 7.30-8 but birds are on my roof dancing and signing and woke me up!
    Then Tiffi, who was asleep on the floor in my room decides she wants to go out since I'm awake, so I have to go downstairs to let her out, waking Oliver conked out on sofa with legs in the air and two of the cats.
    Now I'm wide awake since 5, I want to go back to sleep!

It's too bloomin hot. 2 of our cats are passed out in front of open windows, the other chap was sprawled on the mat by the back door this morning enjoying the draft between the back and front doors, he's headed off to wherever he goes to a few hours ago. I'll give them a rub down with a cold wet flannel later, they enjoyed that yesterday. Feliway and rescue remedy are wonderful things. So far there have been no fights between the 3 of them this week and they aren't trying to chase Toby off.

The bin men must be feeling the heat, I heard them in the distance at 5.30am and they were at our house by lunch time, they don't usually get to us until at least 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Brought Lexi and Ozzie to the lake for a paddle around. There was an old springer in swimming and when he came out he came over and soaked me. I didn't care I was just after walking in the water with the dogs but the owner kept hitting him and kept trying to drag him back to the car by the neck. The poor dog was roaring in pain.

I was shouting over at him to stop but he ignored me. He done it later on again a few times but he didn't even pretend he heard me telling him to stop. So upsetting, just don't understand it.

Oh, that's so awful, that poor dog, what a horrible vile man, I find that sort of episode really stays with me

• Advertisement

We got the trap from the Cat Hospital today and caught George this afternoon.
    I went out and called her for dinner as usual and had all sorts of treats in the trap for her and she walked straight in. She panicked once trapped so I rushed out and bought her up to our spare single room and shes currently wedged herself between the head of the bed and the wall.
    On closer inspection her eye doesn't look too bad, maybe a few days of helping to keep it clean might do the trick.
    She's missing a few of her bottom lower middle teeth but I don't know if that's an age thing or a wild/fighting thing.
    I don't think she's ever been touched before. She meows really loudly if you try to. Poor wee thing is terrified.
    Not sure if I should go buy a Feliway refill and plug it in in her room or even how to proceed now :/

The Feliway really helps in my opinion. Also if she's not in the cage I'd make sure she has water in the room and a litter tray. My house is like a furnace and the chaps are just roaming around looking for cooler places to avoid the heat, then going back into the sun:rolleyes: I've been putting ice cubes in the water bowl for our cats. I'm thrilled that George is safe:D

The Feliway really helps in my opinion. Also if she's not in the cage I'd make sure she has water in the room and a litter tray. My house is like a furnace and the chaps are just roaming around looking for cooler places to avoid the heat, then going back into the sun:rolleyes: I've been putting ice cubes in the water bowl for our cats. I'm thrilled that George is safe:D

I keep trying to give the ones downstairs ice cubes but the puppy attacks them in the bowl and then takes them off to kill them :pac:

I gave George a little bowl of cat milk I picked up at the shop yesterday as a treat, she adores it. I wasn't sure if she's been drinking water and I wanted to make sure she was hydrated in the heat.
    I'm not sure if I should give her dirt in her litter box because she would be used to going outside?

Any joy catching your black stray?

I keep trying to give the ones downstairs ice cubes but the puppy attacks them in the bowl and then takes them off to kill them :pac:

I gave George a little bowl of cat milk I picked up at the shop yesterday as a treat, she adores it. I wasn't sure if she's been drinking water and I wanted to make sure she was hydrated in the heat.
    I'm not sure if I should give her dirt in her litter box because she would be used to going outside?

Any joy catching your black stray?
    No Joy catching him or her yet, but I don't have a trap at the moment. Its getting 2 pouches of food with some water mixed in most days. It didn't get near today as Toby was sleeping in the garden for most of the night I think. He seems to like sleeping in his bed in the cool air, then he sprawls on the door mat in the cool air. If you've got any ordinary planting compost it might be worth a try as a litter.

We have a huge litter tray with expensive litter in it and we only use it when Felix has an anaesthetic, it's the only time he'd use it. I've got a really deep round plastic plant pot in the garden, I'd run out of fresh compost so I was using the compost from it for other plants, when it was half empty Felix started using it as a litter box.

I'll put fresh food out later as puss showed up the other night, Sunday I think, after not being around that morning. The shed we keep the food in is plastic and it'd be manky if left in there all day. Hopefully it'll come around when it's cooler tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:) Bailey is 4 today!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    :) Bailey is 4 today!

Aw, happy birthday Bailey!
    Your momma has bought you a lovely present! You're gonna LOVE it! But you're going to have to wait a few more weeks to get it :-D

DBB wrote: »
    Aw, happy birthday Bailey!
    Your momma has bought you a lovely present! You're gonna LOVE it! But you're going to have to wait a few more weeks to get it :-D

LOL!! :pac:
    His present for now is a new Ikea football. We wash them reguarly but they still get drool-stained and disgusting looking from him holding it in his mouth every evening.
    Here's the first one he got :p

Happy birthday bailey! X

Came home to find daughter and her friend made freezy pops for dogs, gave cats chilled wet food with added water, made a paddling pool for rats and had tipped out the washing to use the basket to soak their feet up to their knees, while eating ice cream and using the hose on fine mist to cool off!

No ice cream for me :( they ate it all!
    Must admit soaking my fleeting did cool me off. :)

new photo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Grrrr, I'm so angry and there's nothing I can do about it. :mad:

On the beach last night at around 10pm, the only time that is probably ok to take the dogs out, it was starting to get dusky, but you could still see a fair distance. We were around halfway down the beach when I see a car coming towards us, headlights on, going WAY, WAY too fast for the beach, at least 40mph if not more. At that minute Benson stops for a poo and it looks like the car is heading straight for him. My heart was in my mouth so I ran over to where Benson was going and the car veered upwards and passed about 20 feet away from us. Myself and my friend were shouting and waving at the car to slow down but it didn't. I only got the year and county and a couple of the plate numbers but not all:mad:.

We had just past a couple that had 4 dogs with them, 3 off lead and I can see in the distance one of the dogs running up towards the car, from where I was standing it looked like the car would run over the dog if it ran in front of it, it didn't brake but somehow didn't hit the dog. It drove down to the very end of the beach and turned and came back. (I was hoping and praying that it would get caught in the soft sand at the the end of the beach and get stuck but it didn't.

The car was on 08 BMW, not a cheap car but as it passed I looked at the driver, he was a young enough guy, maybe early twenties with a girl in the front seat, but not 'boy racer' type. More like a lad impressing his girlfriend in daddys car. They were both laughing and grinning, no waving to apologise, almost as if it was done deliberately.

There is a small part of Bettystown beach that the cars are allowed drive onto and park with a 10km speed limit. For the most part cars observe the limit as there are kids and walkers pottering about and no set pathway. Then there's signs saying "no cars past this point" , not just to preserve the beach and the wildlife, but the cars can get stuck in the soft sand, I've seen it happen so often I don't pay heed any more. I'm going to report it today to the local police station in the hope that somebody else did and got the full registration. Gobshiite needs his wrists slapped.:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Oh do report it...and did a trench for them to get stuck in lol! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

That's terrible - of all places, you'd think a beach late in the evening would be a safe place to let your dogs off. :mad: I would've freaked out.

tk - Lucy is turning into a stunner!

TillyGirl - how's Lexi? Has she had her scan yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

That's ridiculous, I'd be livid too. Just glad nobody got hurt.

TK, adorable!! Nothing like a pic of a cute puppy to cheer me up :)

I had to put a wet towel on Ollie yesterday, even in the shade he was too warm. He loved it. In other, equally as boring, news, he's getting on great on gRÁW. Absolutely loves his food now. We just finished the chicken ones and he started the salmon today, holy cow they smell! He's going to pet sitters for the first time this weekend, might try have him on the duck instead, spare the poor people from the eau de poisson :D

I put water into the big cats wet food to try and get them to drink more, but they didn't touch it. Dude, however, loved it! Must do it with his kitten food this evening. I soaked Dude and Peach to try cool them down and they both loved it, Cream is being extremely paranoid that I'm going to put more suncream on his ears so I can't catch him to soak him!!

Maybe try some mineral water in the wet food. Felix drinks lots of tap water, he's not fussy but Jazzy won't touch tap water so I get the big cheap bottles of water from Tesco.

Good idea, I have bottled water in the fridge so I must try them with some of that for their next feed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

TillyGirl - how's Lexi? Has she had her scan yet?

Hey, she's fine thanks. The only vet in galway that does the scans is off for two weeks. She doesn't have any of the symptoms (coughing or lack of energy) so there's no panic getting it done either.

Coming home from work I saw two near accidents due to the tar melted on the road and people driving too fast, lots of tractors round here as farmers all transporting bales, but twice I saw cars break too hard and skid a bit on the soft road, one nearly went into the tractor sideways and the other nearly hit a pedestrian. Do people not realise melted tar has no grip?

Also people walking dogs at lunchtime?
    Are they nuts? My car said 33 degrees, I know it's not exact but the poor dogs looked ready to drop!

OOops!! :p

So in the park last night (Bailey running amok making up for last time - much better but still not 100% imo..) we get chatting to a family when my friend mentions the puppy

The Mum - "Lucy did you hear that - this girl is getting a new retriever pup next week!!!. What are you going to call her"
    TK - "Eh.... Lucy?" :p

Their faces lol! Not changing it again - every name you pic is somebody's kids name or other dogs name etc etc!

• Advertisement

Tk, about 3 weeks after I got Oliver I was out walking and met a neighbour, she stopped to make a fuss of Oliver and asked what I called him, I told her and she started laughing, she then told me that her first grandson had been born, I congratulated her and asked what they called him "Oliver!" She replied!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement