Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just back from a walk, poor fool Oliver walked towards an off lead husky he knows and she attacked him, just grazed and a bit sore I think. Lucky Tiffi came to me when she saw her as she attacked Tiffi 3weeks ago. (But played with Oliver)
    Owner was sunbathing and just said "she just takes a notion sometimes, it's probably because she's in heat" then proceeded to tell me how she's mating her again tomorrow, third time in a row, but she's yet to have any pups.
    Same dog has an awful gait and I'd swear her hips are bad.
    Don't even get me started on the in heat bitch off lead in a busy dog walking area!
    Sometimes talking to people makes me sad and angry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Cinnamon doesn't even seem to realise it's hot. She's been curling up behind the computer where it's warm, and I had the hot water tank on yesterday so she jumped up and opened the door handle and climbed inside and curled up and went asleep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Collected a little pink collar from Parcel Motel this evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix really seems to be going backwards rather than forwards with Toby this week. Every time Toby comes into the garden Felix gets really aggressive, hissing, fur fluffed out and howling. I'm not sure if it's because Oscar, the black stray we've been feeding with a view to trapping, is around and Felix is just hacked off with strange cats being around or what.

Oscar got half way in the back gate the other morning to find Toby waiting for him. Felix and Jazzy came out then and Felix has been aggressive since. It's gotten to a point now where Toby is totally on edge when he's here and he's only staying for a few minutes for food before going off again. I fed him at 5am and he didn't come back til 10 tonight, although it might be because there's lots of noisy kids around making him nervous of crossing to the house.

I was trying to get him to play with a dangly toy and it took ages to calm him down, he was terrified of it, I don't think anyone's ever played with him before or given him any toys to play with:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Apparently I have been replaced! Normally Dude would spend hours kneading and drooling all over me but I'm in hospital at the mo and no matter how I try convince my mam she won't sneak him in :P. I got a text from my mum last night saying dude spend ages going around the house looking for me and when he couldn't find me he sighed and started kneading mam instead!

• Advertisement

Hope you feel better soon sillymangox, tell your mum to find him a harness and say he's a therapy cat ;)

I am very popular at the moment too, my daughter is off doing a course for two weeks, I got home yesterday and they all came and sat on me!
    I'm being followed and bawled or whinged at all the time.

Poor Oliver pulled away with a slight yelp when I rubbed his neck this morning, forgot he was sore, I looked under the hair and his pink skin is bruised, but the grazes look fine. Had to bribe him with a rich tea biscuit to look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Ollie's been having trouble pooing since he came back from pet sitting on Monday. Bringing him to the vets now to make sure all is ok. He probably didn't go for the two days he was there as he's extremely private about it and needs to hide in a bush to do it :D

Right well vet reckons it's colitis. Poor thing was very sorry for himself with all the intrusions back there! He got a weeks supply of metronidazole and a shot of betamox and metacam.

On a side note, first vet visit in Galway and I went to Barna vets, they are the nicest and friendliest people ever. Delighted with them.

Cocolola wrote: »
    Right well vet reckons it's colitis. Poor thing was very sorry for himself with all the intrusions back there! He got a weeks supply of metronidazole and a shot of betamox and metacam.

On a side note, first vet visit in Galway and I went to Barna vets, they are the nicest and friendliest people ever. Delighted with them.
    I'd definitely get some bio yoghurt to help combat the metronidazole. I've had it myself a few times over the years and I hate it, it's very harsh to take.

I'd definitely get some bio yoghurt to help combat the metronidazole. I've had it myself a few times over the years and I hate it, it's very harsh to take.

Thanks for that Pumpkin, it would never have occurred to me at all. Is there any particular brand or make that I should get? I'm not much of a yoghurt eater :o

• Advertisement

Cocolola wrote: »
    Thanks for that Pumpkin, it would never have occurred to me at all. Is there any particular brand or make that I should get? I'm not much of a yoghurt eater :o
    Our vet recommended it to me when Felix was finished antibiotics, I wouldn't have thought of it myself either. Any plain probiotic yoghurt should be fine. I've to hide it in Felix's food but Jazzy eats it off the spoon. You can get the probiotic capsules in health food shops too and just sprinkle it on the food.
    Of all the antibiotics that one is particularly harsh and kills off the good bacteria as well, but it does clear up the infection.

Great I'll pick some up this evening as he's not starting the metronidazole until tomorrow morning. I'm not the biggest fan of antibiotics myself, only when absolutely necessary, so it's a pity he has to go on these but I'll be much happier about it now that I can feel I might be able to counter the effects :)

I did a quick Google on colitis when we got home and read that stress can cause a flare up, I would guess this is what happened to him. I'm sure the pet sitter was lovely but he's so clingy he whines if I leave the house for more than a few mins so it must have been horrible for him over the weekend. Wonder would it be worth picking up a DAP collar or some spray for him as unfortunately we have to go to a wedding in a few weeks and he'll need to go back to the sitter.

Dude is so happy I'm home he won't let me out of his sight!! I just discovered he has two canine teeth coming through so right now he has 6.. All the better to bite me with!!

Take a pic, I tried to get Mouse with monster mouth, but she was too mad to sit still. Picture me sitting with camera in hand waiting for her to yawn!
    They fell out right after I spotted it.

I'll try my best but he usually spends most of his time trying to bite me :P

Got him while he was sleepy :P

Should be easy to make him smile then :p

Our posts crossed!
    He looks like a tiger in that shot!
    Love the teeth, scary Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

OMG, all the sharp teeth!!

Came home earlier to Poppy barking and going insane inside, couldn't find her anywhere until we went up to the bedroom... poor dog had crawled inside the duvet cover, fallen onto the floor and couldn't get out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How are the excitement levels TK??

TillyGirl wrote: »
    How are the excitement levels TK??

I'm more worried atm...will I get everything right over the next few weeks, are we mad, will she wee and poo everywhere, will be she be confident with the other puppies, how will I manage getting to the other daycare that's 40 mins away because I'm fed up with the current one, will Bailey love her etc etc - i'm sure that'll all go out the window when I have a puppy in my arms lol!! :pac:

EDIT - she's not coming home today! Has a temperature and is on antibiotics so staying with the breeder a few days longer. One of the other pups was the same last week and was fine the next day. Don't know if this is something I should be worried about or just one of those things? :confused:

• Advertisement

Awww, no!
    I just came on hoping for bailey and puppy photos!
    Hope she's better soon. X

Spoke to the breeder... She was fine and had her vaccination as normal earlier today and has been sleepy, didn't eat, and has a runny poop so she took her back to the vets. Said she had a temp so gave antibiotics as a precaution since the other pup was sick a few weeks ago.
    I'm thinking it's just the vaccination because Bailey would be a bit sicky when he gets his booster...

SO advice really needed here guys - if she's back on form tonorrow do I take her and finish the antibiotics myself or leave her with the breeder until she's finished them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you're happy with the breeder, and I can only assume you are, I'd leave her for a few more days tk. I know you're dying to get her, but you know yourself, she's going to be stressed with the change... I'd be inclined not to ask her to do it until she's 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'd ring whatever vet the breeder went to just to clarify that it was a vaccination reaction to put your mind at ease first. If it is, then I'd take her and finish the Abs myself...i'd be too impatient :D

Edit: yeah i suppose i agree with DBB when you put it like that.

Going to hold off until she's finished the antibiotics. Funny DBB I asked our hydro guy what he thought and he said exactly the same thing - so great minds think alike ;) I was taking her to our own vet for a checkup anyways so I'll see what she says and also ask her if I need to declare it on the insurance when we sign her up(?) If she didn't have the vaccination today tbh I might be making a tough decision but fingers crossed she bounces back tomorrow. The breeder was really upset that it happened - it's obvious she genuinely cares about the pups so that put my mind at ease too.
    So a few more nights sleep before the fun begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tk123 wrote: »
    how will I manage getting to the other daycare that's 40 mins away

Should I be excited about a puppy? :cool:

Whispered wrote: »
    Should I be excited about a puppy? :cool:

Yeah I think so ;) I just can't put her in a caged daycare and risk her damaging her joints! I'm hoping once she's settled there the other fella might willingly go in after her and not stress out like what's happening in the current place.

Getting married shortly. Just ordered a cardboard cut-out of Snickers (which we are calling doggie 2.0) as the dog won't be with us on the day. Should be interesting how Snickers reacts to the cardboard cut out though.

Update - the puppy is fine this morning :) but we'll wait until she' finished the antibiotics. Had a lovely walk at the beach with my friend at 8:00 - lovely out and the dogs had a great time! They have solar showers at Dollymount now - I may bring some doggy shampoo tomorrow to wash the sand off Bailey lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

And people thought I was a bit mad for posting that I take the dog into the shower with me.
    Next thing everyone will be doing it even in public.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement