Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The difference in the quality of various catnips is astonishing.
    I have never seen a more "off their face" effect, than the the 2 pouches my friend brought home from the US over a year ago.They lasted a whole year before they were ripped apart.

Cat-atonic.......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Where did you get it pumpkinseeds?
    I'm looking for some at the moment, it seems to have worn off the kickeroos, Toby loves those kickeroos!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I find that the best catnip toys, even better than the kickaroos, are the yeowww! catnip cigars! All my 3 go absolutely crazy for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How did your first night with Lucy go TK?

Zzzzzz :D I'm glad I'm off work so I can snooze during the day!

First night we had some false alarms taking her out when she didn't need to go. It was roasting upstairs too and she was too warm so put the litte fan I had upstairs pointing at one side of the crate and it cooled her down. She was tossing and turning the whole time though keeping me up lol! :p. Was up around 5:30 ish and there was a lovely cool breeze so I ended up sitting outside with the 3 of us snoozing! We were doing great yesterday with the wees outside then got a bit relaxed and missed the signs for a couple..
    Last night - the heavy rain arrived just as I was taking her out - we both got soaked so had to bring her back in and put her on a puppy pad.. Bailey went out to the hall (where you can hear everything because we need a new door) as I was getting ready for bed and was snoozing when the thunder and lightening came - he's normally fine with thunder and fireworks etc but got a bad fright. We ended up with him upstairs on the end of the bed then he moved down to the vet bed I had on the floor between the bed and crate...until Lucy's tossing and turning woke him and he went downstairs for peace! :p. She's going to the loo like clockwork so I can tell when she needs to go or when she's just crying because she's in the crate. When I tell her to be quiet she gives out to me lol! :p
    She's getting the hang of going to the loo when we take her out and has learned to sit :). Bailey is still a bit wary of her - he wants to be near her but will sit or lie a few feet away from her to be safe! We had a few seconds earlier where he let her cuddle into him so he's warming up to her. He'll sit beside me when I'm practicing her training so giving him treats and loads of praise for staying beside her or enduring her diving in him!

This morning she balanced on the edge of her water bowl to climb up to Bailey's food bowl..tipped the bloody thing over soaking herself and the floor in the process! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I'm going to enjoy The Lucy Exploits very much methinks :D

I demand daily updates TK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

mymo wrote: »
    Where did you get it pumpkinseeds?
    I'm looking for some at the moment, it seems to have worn off the kickeroos, Toby loves those kickeroos!
    I get it from Funky Felines in the UK. Their catnip products are great, especially the catnip polloc fish. They do deliver to Ireland, it's just a bit fiddly with the website. I've seen it on Amazon but Funky Felines are usually better value and they don't rip you off with postage either.

I find that the best catnip toys, even better than the kickaroos, are the yeowww! catnip cigars! All my 3 go absolutely crazy for them!
    Yeowww stuff is great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks, going over to london in a short while, so I'll get it delivered to my dad (his postman gets a lot of deliveries before I arrive:D).
    It has no effect on Mouse so far, but maybe she needs some fresh stuff, jake will purr and dribble for just about anything, catnip doesn't have much effect on him!
    Toby goes nuts, gets high as a kite, it's soo funny.

I'm dead on my feet again today, the sooner I teach Toby to use the cat flap the better. I think he's going to be a home body really. He's not wanting to go out much, maybe he's worried he won't be allowed back in. We set a litter tray up for him today. The zyklene tablets have settled things a lot for Felix, though not entirely. I was watching Toby wrestle the teddybear we left on the armchair for him earlier, Jeez he mauled it, I thought he was going to draw stuffing from it.

I accidently got him over excited yesterday when he was on my lap and got my hand savaged, he's a strong chap:)

Lucy got stung by a bee! I went out the back with her and saw the bee on the ground, immediately said leave it which of course was no use because she doesn't know that yet! I grabbed her collar but the bee was already on her face and she tried to shake it off so knew it was stinging her :(..my ipad was in my other hand so knocked the bee off with that lol! Managed to get the sting out in seconds and she seems fine - vet said to watch for swelling and discomfort. Bailey boy headed over for X-rays soon - decided to get them done to see where we stand instead of worrying something is wrong/or pretending everything is ok. Having the puppy these last few days has made me see how good Bailey actually is lol! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Poppy's all booked in to get spayed on Monday. I'm a worrier so I'm already stressing about her :o
    My OH is off work Monday and Tuesday and I'm of Wednesday, so at least she'll have one of us here with her at all times while she's recovering.

Thinking about putting her in Doggy Daycare when she's recovered. For the most part mine and my OHs work hours don't match, so there's more often than not one of us here (give or take 2/3 hours here and there) but I thought it would be nice for 1 or 2 days a week she could go off and play with some other dogs and give poor Cinnamon a break.

Poppy's all booked in to get spayed on Monday. I'm a worrier so I'm already stressing about her :o
    My OH is off work Monday and Tuesday and I'm of Wednesday, so at least she'll have one of us here with her at all times while she's recovering.

Thinking about putting her in Doggy Daycare when she's recovered. For the most part mine and my OHs work hours don't match, so there's more often than not one of us here (give or take 2/3 hours here and there) but I thought it would be nice for 1 or 2 days a week she could go off and play with some other dogs and give poor Cinnamon a break.

Oh has she had a heat already? Also what kind of spay? I'm think I'm ggoing for the keyhole option with Lucy. I'm planning on sending Lucy to daycare too but pretty sure it won't be where Bailey was going for the last few years because they use cages/pens..

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh has she had a heat already? Also what kind of spay? I'm think I'm ggoing for the keyhole option with Lucy. I'm planning on sending Lucy to daycare too but pretty sure it won't be where Bailey was going for the last few years because they use cages/pens..

She went into heat about 2 months ago, she was nearly 9 months. Had to wait till now for spaying because of the risks with enlarged blood vessels etc. It was so typical though, I was going go in and make an appointment for her on a Monday, and the day before that she went into heat :rolleyes:

I didn't realize there were different options for the spay. I might go do some research now. I'm glad I'll be working while she's in the vets, the house will be too quiet without her.

They use cages/pens? :eek: Just for naptime or what? The place I'm looking at is only down the road from me. I think they use a crate for time-out and if the dog prefers/is used to the crate for nap time.

How's Lucy after her incident with the bee? When I was a kid our dog ate one and was terrified of anything small and flying since.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

It's only a matter of time before Henry gets stung by a bee - he's constantly trying to catch them and eat them. I have loads of them this year too because I got some lavender plants and they seem to love them.

It's been raining most of the day and no one knows what to do now that our nice weather is gone! The cats are restless, the hens are huddled under their house looking miserable and I'm finished cleaning/cooking/clearing out the cupboards. The only ones who don't seem to care are the dogs. They're both curled up fast asleep on the sofa!

They use cages/pens? :eek: Just for naptime or what? The place I'm looking at is only down the road from me. I think they use a crate for time-out and if the dog prefers/is used to the crate for nap time.

How's Lucy after her incident with the bee? When I was a kid our dog ate one and was terrified of anything small and flying since.

They use them for nap times but there's a major design flaw (imo) because there's a window at the top of the door for them to look in on the dogs = dogs hopping up and down like mad to see out when they're locked up = risk to injury (again just imo..) Bailey developed separation anxiety at a young age from being left in the vets for xrays and operations etc and unfortunately after a training event at daycare where he was left in the car too long, being locked in the pen at daycare has become a major major thing for him and causes him to get very stressed out so I don't feel right sending him there anymore :( ..

The xrays were fine thank god - hips are perfect and no damage to them like I was imaging so worth the stress because I don't have to worry about longer walks now! We had a lovely walk this morning that we haven't had in a month because I was worried it might hurt him if there was damage. The vet sedated him the moment I left him in yesterday because she knew about his anxiety but he was in a state when I collected him - they brought me thru to get him and bolted out of the crate without even seeing me! But calmed down once we got out to reception and wagged his tail at everyone lol :p The vet and nurses were fantastic though - they knew he was stressed out and didn't make me feel like the worlds worst owner with my 'bold' dog!

Lucy is fine - no swelling or anything. She had proper zoomies yesterday jumping over the barriers I'd made to with our cones/poles to keep her away from the flowers and knocking down the gnomes lol!! :pac: We had our first puppy class this morning - it was ok..expected more play time for her instead of obedience exercises but she had a ball.

My OH is off work Monday and Tuesday and I'm of Wednesday, so at least she'll have one of us here with her at all times while she's recovering. .

Dude is getting his bits off on Monday too! Poor things! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

That's great news about Bailey!

Too bad for Poppy and Dude though. :D

Jeez, I feel like I have 3 infants at the moment instead of 3 cats:rolleyes: Toby has settled in well, doesn't want to leave the house for long. Felix was doing relatively well accepting him, mostly due to the chill pills he's on. Jazzy and Toby follow each other around for a few hours late at night and arrive back within minutes of each other but Felix won't get involved.

Toby's been staying in overnight from about 2am and sleeping til I get up and our other 2 were sleeping in their usual places. I woke up to growling and meowing at 4am today, Toby was looking in living room door while Felix was looking out of it, so I came down and they went outdoors. When I came down later Toby was sleeping outdoors, not being let in by Felix again, so I'd to carry him in a few times before he'd settle.

Felix's determined to attack him today and I've to watch him like a hawk. I think it's due to the fact that Toby used the litter tray today and Felix is appaled and horrified. Feels like going backwards again:(

I'm so glad Tobys starting to settle in well. Hopefully Felix will start to come around soon! Are you still feeding the other wee cat - Summer?

One of the other neighbourhood strays who I've feed a few times before was just around. I hadn't seen him in a while, but I heard Poppy growling in the kitchen and went out to see what was going on to see a little black and white cat literally pressed up against the glass trying to come say hi to Cinnamon. I took him out a bowl of food, but he legged it. I think he's hanging around the front now because Cin is sitting behind the curtain with her tail wagging madly.

I'm so glad Tobys starting to settle in well. Hopefully Felix will start to come around soon! Are you still feeding the other wee cat - Summer?

One of the other neighbourhood strays who I've feed a few times before was just around. I hadn't seen him in a while, but I heard Poppy growling in the kitchen and went out to see what was going on to see a little black and white cat literally pressed up against the glass trying to come say hi to Cinnamon. I took him out a bowl of food, but he legged it. I think he's hanging around the front now because Cin is sitting behind the curtain with her tail wagging madly.
    All was going so so until about 20 minutes ago when Felix attacked Toby in the garden, thankfully no major damage to either of them. I'm still feeding Summer every day. My Husband went to feed her today and there's another little cat of about the same age as her, apparently a thin little black and white one that was sitting waiting beside the empty bowl:(. At least it's getting food now.

Summer is a friendly little thing who will probably get adopted by someone in the flats at some point, fingers crossed. My Husband says the other little one is terrified and runs off, but he knows he can get food there so that's something positive. I'm sitting in the kitchen making sure that Felix doesn't attack Toby again. One funny thing that happened earlier, Toby went out the back gate and there's a little square drain with the lid ajar, he squatted over it and had a wee, I've never seen a cat do that before:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lexi's eye is swollen, thinking a bite or a sting. Can I give her half a piriton? She's 15kg. Will warm salt water help?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Lexi's eye is swollen, thinking a bite or a sting. Can I give her half a piriton? She's 15kg. Will warm salt water help?

Thanks

I've never had to give piriton so I can't help, sorry.
    Can you see the sting though? If it's a bee or a wasp sting it might be still stuck in her:eek:

TillyGirl wrote: »

Thanks

Well I know a JRT can have a whole one - I think it's one per 10kg of weight but considering one would knock me out I only ever give one to Bailey when he needs it.

The funniest thing happened yesterday.. My bro came over so we were able to take turns playing tug with Bailey- one holding Lucy while the other played (if she comes over when we're playing with him he walks away). Anyhoos I was playing with him and I spotted Lucy heading in behind the dog kennel aka toy box so lifted her out and continued playing as she headed for behind the bbq :rolleyes: Well Bailey stopped playing and started looking around, ran over to the kennel and sniffed behind then looked over to the bbq just as she emmerged from the other side - he went bananas with zoomies and play bowing to her lol!! I was too slow to record him though :rolleyes: He had a little play with her earlier - she wanted a ball he had so he was holding it
    out for a little chase so he's warming up to her - we hope!!
    She slept thru from 12:00 - 7:15 last night - hopefully she doesn't make up for it tonight lol!

Thanks guys I gave her one and it has improved but she loads of lumps on her belly and back so off to the vet tomorrow I think :-(

Oh poor Lexi! :( If there's a chemist open near you get some Cortopin cream to soothe the lumps until you can get her to the vets. Bailey still gets his grass rash even on RAW and that stops it in it's tracks. Both Bailey and pup enjoying Kongs atm - Bailey's is to distract him from the thunder (still a bit worried about it after the other night) and Lucy's is to distract her from the fact Bailley has a Kong lol!! :p

Thanks TK no chemist open here but will get some tomorrow. She has so many lumps its horrible. I really hope its not anything to do with the food? Can't imagine it would be though.

Poor little thing, that sounds awful:( I hope it gets cleared up soon. I think I'll be taking Toby to the vet on Wednesday. We tried getting the dried poop off his bottom with warm salt water earlier and it won't come off. No matter how much we soak it through or how gentle we are it's hurting him too much. It's stuck to the skin as he's a short haired cat and I'm worried as it looks like it's getting stuck coming out, sorry to be so graphic.

He's using the litter tray but no stools so far. He does go out and I suspect to poop in the overgrown garden of an abandoned house in our neighbourhood. I watch him for a few minutes when he leaves the house and he's randomly meowing walking around. He's only gone about 10 minutes max and he's back to his arm chair for most of the day.

Still, I can get his vaccinations started while we're there.

Just dropped Dude to the vet to be neutered and microchipped, my poor little baba :( seems only yesterday he was a blind, deaf screaming bundle of fur who was refusing to take any milk for me!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

There was a thread in here about dogs that had got up to no good and people posted pics of the messy things they do. Does anyone what it was called? Went back 15 pages of threads and didn't see it... Although it would help if I knew what it was called :D

• Advertisement

There was a thread in here about dogs that had got up to no good and people posted pics of the messy things they do. Does anyone what it was called? Went back 15 pages of threads and didn't see it... Although it would help if I knew what it was called :D

This it? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056791600

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement