Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a policy re mods editing posts?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Allo allo,

Right first off, this isn't a fight da powah thread or anything, its just borne out of something I've noticed a lot more of lately.

Basically, what is the official stance on moderators editing posts? It's been a long time since I've modded on this site but it was always my understanding that posts were only edited if they could be seen as libelous or contained personal information such as mobile phone numbers, home addresses etc.

Lately, particularly in PI, posts appear to be edited beyond these areas, such as if a mod deems a post to contain something they see as off-topic or offensive. Is this not what the infraction and ban system is for? Is the editing really necessary.

Like I said, I'm not giving out its just something I've noticed lately and was wondering if there are any official guidelines for the mods on the matter.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Depends on the forum, the OP and the situation

Case by case basis I would say

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Basically, what is the official stance on moderators editing posts? It's been a long time since I've modded on this site but it was always my understanding that posts were only edited if they could be seen as libelous or contained personal information such as mobile phone numbers, home addresses etc.

There has been no new rule set down since you modded.
    Lately, particularly in PI, posts appear to be edited beyond these areas

Has this happened to you?
    Have you reported your concerns to the Mod who edited the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Beruthiel wrote: »
    There has been no new rule set down since you modded.

Thanks.
    Has this happened to you?
    Have you reported your concerns to the Mod who edited the post?

It happened to me once but I just thought "Hmm, thats odd" but thought no more of it until I noticed it elsewhere. I haven't PM'd the mod yet as I wanted to be sure of the general criteria set down for editing posts, hence my posting here.

Cheers for the responses.

Cool.
    Well I can comment no further on it as you have given no examples.
    If you have any further problems in the future, contact the Mod in question.

Can we consider this matter closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

wow, good opportunity to provide feedback there...

• Advertisement

Adam wrote: »
    wow, good opportunity to provide feedback there...

Have you something to add Adam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Cool.
    Well I can comment no further on it as you have given no examples.
    If you have any further problems in the future, contact the Mod in question.

Yeah, I didn't want to be seen as pointing the finger until I was sure what the craic was with editing in general.
    Can we consider this matter closed?

We sure can. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Have you something to add Adam?
    you seem a bit aggresive in your replies for whatever reason

And you seem very eager to close the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Tallon wrote: »
    you seem a bit aggresive in your replies for whatever reason

^ this

If i was to comment on the OP's point I would be inclined to agree that it seems to be a rising trend, but my reason for posting is as Tallon pointed out above. It seems pointless to have a Feedback forum if it's not open to allow feedback.

Tallon wrote: »

Because technically speaking, this is about a particular Mod in a particular forum and if Chinafoot wished to continue the discussion I would have moved it to the DR Forum.

As for your comment on being aggressive, you are reading way too much into a simple question.

Chinafoot, just so you know, I have brought your comments to the attention of PI Mods.
    Feel free to report any further comments you felt should not have been edited.
    Thanks,
    B

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement