Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Old Fashioned Sweetie Shop

Options
  • 25-02-2011 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

There's a new old fashioned sweetie shop opening on O Briens Bridge (could be opened by now) selling the old fashioned sweets in the old fashioned jars with weighing scales, etc. Nostalgia alert. :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Luckily there are a few dentists close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice, I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If its anything like the one in limerick it should be yummy, got lovely bonbons and sherbert in the limerick one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Retro sweets eh? Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Which bridge is O Briens Bridge?
    The one near Kellys pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

If its a Mr Simms like the franchise in Limerick, it will have all the old sweets like rhubarb and custards, chocolate bananas, slab toffee and just walking in there will bring back so many memories, they even have the old pick n mix behind glass with the paper bags and you tell the staff what you want ( Anyone remember saying "I'll have one of those, two of them?"). Yum Yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

They have Dip-Dabs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Best of luck to them hope it goes well!

Will pop in this evening for a *nyom* if I get the chance. Here's hoping prices aren't *too* crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Which bridge is O Briens Bridge?
    The one near Kellys pub?

Yeah, the sweet shop is right beside Kellys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

drum! wrote: »
    They have Dip-Dabs!

Dib-Dabs seem to actually be back normally again, have seen them in a lot of "normal" shops recently. Saw them on Maloney's corner shop on Eglington St/ Mary's Street the other day.

They also had refreshers and stingers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Fruit Salads & Apple Jacks.

One of my favorite childhood memories was going in to Keneghans shop in Salthill to get a bag full of the above and then on to the Claddagh Palace cinema.

The opening of this shop is a great idea and I wish them the best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Remember when a pound meant you would eat like a king for AGES (Like, an hour!)? Wonder what a euro gets you nowadays...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Why didn't I read this before I went into town today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

is it a mr simms??

100g / €1.50

Not sure how that compares to Pick n' Mix at other shops.

It's not fair to go on the basis of how much 1 sweet costs, as the cola bottles/fruit salads etc. are way bigger than penny sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

is this where macisaacs is/was?

apple jacks and postman pats,please someone confirm QUICK if they have these in stock?????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

barryd09 wrote: »
    is this where macisaacs is/was?

No. The other side of Kellys. Shop was dis-used for as long as I've been there.

Where exactly is this bridge? I tried to look for O' Briens Bridge on Google maps but it couldn't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Nice place. A bit small (was wedged in there yesterday with only four other people), but not their fault I suppose. It seemed a bit expensive at the time - €1.50 per 100g as mentioned by JohnCleary - but I suppose comparing it to Pick n' Mix it's not that bad. Really sound staff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Are they giving any samples?

I miss Woolworths :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Opening this at night would be an uber fab idea, just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Does anyone know what time they stay open till in the evening? I hope they have white mice, the nice milky ones not the horrible chalky kind :) They used to cost half a penny each in Coyne's shop, Briarhill when I was a kid. Then they got rid of the half penny and they doubled in price :mad: Cruel world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Does anyone know what time they stay open till in the evening? I hope they have white mice, the nice milky ones not the horrible chalky kind :) They used to cost half a penny each in Coyne's shop, Briarhill when I was a kid. Then they got rid of the half penny and they doubled in price :mad: Cruel world.

That place deserves a thread of it's own!!!
    Can anyone clarify if this new place is just a Mr Simms franchise or a new venture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Can anyone clarify if this new place is just a Mr Simms franchise or a new venture?

New venture. I think it's called "Sweet Dreams".

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Yeah I walked past yesterday. Cant believe it but they have Black Jacks. They were my favorite sweet ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JohnCleary wrote: »
    100g / €1.50

Not sure how that compares to Pick n' Mix at other shops.

It's not fair to go on the basis of how much 1 sweet costs, as the cola bottles/fruit salads etc. are way bigger than penny sweets

generally see pick and mix advertised at about 12.50/kg so its a bit over that. Depends on the place of course.

I think I saw a sign saying they do coffee too, would be nice to have place to get different beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

They do a decent discount to old men in overcoats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madeinireland

i am a huge fan of sweets and i loved my local pik-a-mix until i tasted the sweets from <snip, mod> in mullingar, they taste the exact same as when i was a kid,even the bon bons look and taste the same..... i think their sweets sell for €1.50 per 100g so they are a bit dearer than my pix-a-mix but the taste and memories are def worth it!!!!!!!

Advertisement