Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primer/sealer for skimcoat

• 25-02-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Just had a room dry lined with insulated boards and skimmed. It's almost dried out now and ready to paint.
    Do I go with watered down Polybond as a sealer or the vinyl softsheen emulsion thinned out by adding water for the first coat?

Which will give the best results?
    I'm not rushing to paint, giving the walls plenty of time to dry out, but don't want to waste time next week having to repair or repaint due to inadequate priming!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Rancid,

If it was me i'd stay away from any kind of pollybond. Although you can get specific drywall primer, 99% of the time watered down emulsion by 15-20% will suffice.

Spot fill and a light sand between coats and then top coat with solid, unwatered paint and you should be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rancid,

If it was me i'd stay away from any kind of pollybond. Although you can get specific drywall primer, 99% of the time watered down emulsion by 15-20% will suffice.

Spot fill and a light sand between coats and then top coat with solid, unwatered paint and you should be fine.

+1 to the above.

You can do no wrong if you take this mans advice.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Excellent.
    Now I just wait for the walls to dry out fully.

Thank you muchly, both of you. :)

Advertisement