Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daffodils - too late to plant???

Options
  • 25-02-2011 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

Last Sept. I bought a huge bag of daffodils which I meant to plant then! But I never did and I forgot about them. They have been sitting in a bag in the garage since. I assumed that was the end of them however I looked into the bag the other day and saw that the shoots have started to come up. Could I plant them now? Will they grow? Is there anything special I should do with them to encourage them to grow?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Me too! Would be interested in the answer to this. My friend and I bought a huge bag of bulbs last year to split between us. We both only planted some of them and still have loads. What to do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hi, I could be wrong but I think you can go ahead and plant them but they may not flower this year as they should be planted before the end of November,

Heres a guide to help you,

http://www.tullynurseries.ie/Guide_to_Planting_Bulbs/Guide_to_Planting_Bulbs.620039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Maybe stick them in the ground and see what happens, but i highly doubt you will get flower. But they'll be planted and all for next season so you may as well stick them in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I can't guarantee they'll flower if you plant them but I can guarantee they won't flower if you leave them in a bag in the garage. Stick them in and see what happens, maybe dig in a bit of bone meal to help them get started and feed with potash in June.
    Bulbs are essentially a food source for the plant and every day they are out of the ground more of that food is exhausted, discard any bulbs that have gone soft or shrivelled up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement