Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pukkelpop 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well apparently they were meant to make an announcement yesterday about whether or not they were going to refund the money for the tickets and vouchers but I haven't seen anything on google or the official pukkelpop website.

Also, we paid for accommodation in Brussels as we didn't realise there was free accommodation for us that was organised by Pukkelpop, wonder would be compensated for that too?

I know it was an 'Act of God' but surely the Insurance covers it. Insurance is there incase these type of things happen

Check the T&C of your private travel insurance if you bought some. They might compensate for the extra nights in Brussels. I'm hoping I can get some money from mine for that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

As above, full sympathy to those deceased/injured...

However, I feel there is a certain liability on the part of the organisers. I wouldn't exactly classify the storm as a Force Majeure/Act of God (70mph winds with - albeit huge - hail?). It will be argued that the stages etc. weren't adequately structurally sound, which led to collapse. There were people standing and cheering in the winds (out in the open, away from any dangerous/falling structures) at the height of the storm in the videos I've seen. It seems a lot of the hysteria was amongst those in areas that could potentially collapse on top of them.

I am open to correction on this by people who were there, and obviously RIP to the victims.

babymanval wrote: »
    As above, full sympathy to those deceased/injured...

However, I feel there is a certain liability on the part of the organisers. I wouldn't exactly classify the storm as a Force Majeure/Act of God (70mph winds with - albeit huge - hail?). It will be argued that the stages etc. weren't adequately structurally sound, which led to collapse. There were people standing and cheering in the winds (out in the open, away from any dangerous/falling structures) at the height of the storm in the videos I've seen. It seems a lot of the hysteria was amongst those in areas that could potentially collapse on top of them.

I am open to correction on this by people who were there, and obviously RIP to the victims.

Everything was structurally sound. All the damage in the festival site was caused by falling trees. The tents swayed a fair bit (and perhaps had the storm continued on for a good while after they might have toppled) but the ones that collapsed only did so because of the trees.

Everything was structurally sound. All the damage in the festival site was caused by falling trees. The tents swayed a fair bit (and perhaps had the storm continued on for a good while after they might have toppled) but the ones that collapsed only did so because of the trees.

Apologies; It was my understanding that trees caused a certain amount of damage, but that wind directly blew stage rigging down also. I was obviously misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

There were people standing and cheering in the winds (out in the open, away from any dangerous/falling structures) at the height of the storm in the videos I've seen. It seems a lot of the hysteria was amongst those in areas that could potentially collapse on top of them.

There was people so drunk & off their faces on drugs that they hadn't a clue what was going on. My friends were in their tent beside me thinking it was class cause they were drunk & didn't realise what exactly was happening. I was talking to guys who were our neighbours who were on drugs, won't mention what exactly, but again were too out of their minds to know what was happening and said they just stood in the storm cheerling, laughing and dancing in it.

Also, alot of the videos you can hear people laughing during the rain but when the storm actually was at its peak knowone was laughing, or if they were it was nervous laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

At least in the case of the Chateau tent, that was taken down by a giant tree. I don't think any "structurally sound" tent could withstand that. As opposed with that stage at the Indiana State Fair that fell apart like a tower of toppling Jenga blocks...

I don't know if this is a clause by Pukkelpop but I think as long if more than 50% of the programme is cancelled people are entitled to their money back. Must be a complete headwreck for the organisation... hope it doesn't bankrupt them or spell the end of future events.

There was people so drunk & off their faces on drugs that they hadn't a clue what was going on. My friends were in their tent beside me thinking it was class cause they were drunk & didn't realise what exactly was happening. I was talking to guys who were our neighbours who were on drugs, won't mention what exactly, but again were too out of their minds to know what was happening and said they just stood in the storm cheerling, laughing and dancing in it.

Also, alot of the videos you can hear people laughing during the rain but when the storm actually was at its peak knowone was laughing, or if they were it was nervous laughing.

Definitely. I was in The Marquee, and at the height of the storm people were screaming and it looked like there might be a stampede. There was a good aul cheer when the storm stopped though, and for a while we thought Panic! At The Disco might still come on stage.

for a while we thought Panic! At The Disco might still come on stage.

The irony of it all!

The irony of it all!

They used to be called Explosions in the Sky. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

They used to be called Explosions in the Sky. :pac:

No! The band on before them in Marquee was called Explosions in the Sky!

• Advertisement

I actually wish that we were informed more though to be honest. We weren't informed that there was another storm on the way or that it was recommended to leave that night. Also the fact that there was free accommodation available really annoyed us when we found out grr...

No! The band on before them in Marquee was called Explosions in the Sky!

*facepalm* I've misheard you all week. Sorry tuts :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Well said Mr S. The whole thing was a freak storm and Pukkelpop would not be able to prevent it . Id say there will be some investigations in outdoor gigs/festivals next year.

Also looks like more freaky weather over in NYC when Steve Aoki

314820_10150258977272461_29286157460_7901962_5340446_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mvdffy

This was our 4th Pukkelpop and it's usually such lovely weather. I still can't believe what happened. It was so scary to see so much destruction in such a short space of time. On the other hand, it was so nice to see how lovely the locals in Hasselt were after it happened. A family took 6 of us in the night of the storm and gave us hot chocolate, food, showers and beds even though there were 6 of us and it was only their tiny summer chalet.

254663_10150294570288987_567333986_7757854_2792798_n.jpg

I really hope it goes ahead next year. I will definitely be returning if it is. Normally such a good festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Am I (and those I stayed with) the only ones that actually stayed at the campsite the night of the storm? We are so hardcore! In Paris atm and there were storms here Monday night..got some great lightning videos from the balcony of the apartment :D Better not be any storms that affect my flight home tomorrow though..

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Am I (and those I stayed with) the only ones that actually stayed at the campsite the night of the storm? We are so hardcore! In Paris atm and there were storms here Monday night..got some great lightning videos from the balcony of the apartment :D Better not be any storms that affect my flight home tomorrow though..

No your not alone, myself and my 5 friends also stayed we didnt realise it was recommended to go and plus if we did leave we didnt think there would be anywhere for us to stay so we just stayed. Left the next morning though. I must have brought the thunder and lightning home with me cos we had some of it today in mullingar!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No your not alone, myself and my 5 friends also stayed we didnt realise it was recommended to go and plus if we did leave we didnt think there would be anywhere for us to stay so we just stayed. Left the next morning though. I must have brought the thunder and lightning home with me cos we had some of it today in mullingar!

Damn you!!!! *shakes fist* :pac:
    Although weathers lovely down here so I dunno why im giving out :confused:

Did anyone else just get that email about The Offspring? :( Free tickets to their Paris shows next week for people with Pukkelpop wristbands :(
    So annoyed! I spent 7 weeks in France and Belgium this summer (incl. 3 weeks in Paris) and we get this offer just after I get home! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah I got it too. Somehow don't think I'll be able to make it though.

Got it aswell. If Id gotten it a couple days earlier id be booking flights now. BUt I spent the money I coulda used for that :o

• Advertisement

I did look at flights :o but they start at €160 return and that'd involve camping in the airport overnight too.
    It's so cool that The Offspring are doing that, though, just wish we didn't live on an island!!

*screams into pillow* I even tried pricing it to fly to London and getting a train, but just flying into London is expensive enough. Wish I lived on the continent.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Pretty poor offer for us not living near Paris, hope this isn't something to keep us happy then a week later "sorry we can't give refunds on PP tickets".

I'd say The Offspring arranged this make-up concert without the instigation of Pukkelpop. I do find it highly unlikely we'll get refunds though.

Apparently we will be getting refunds according to my dad who actually lives in Belguim...He said according to the media that the insurance doesn't cover 'Acts of God' but apparently the government said they will refund our money? Hopefully this actually happens though!

Give me a similar line up next year and ill use the money to go back :)

Apparently we will be getting refunds according to my dad who actually lives in Belguim...He said according to the media that the insurance doesn't cover 'Acts of God' but apparently the government said they will refund our money? Hopefully this actually happens though!

*fingers crossed* I could really really do with a refund...

Pretty poor offer for us not living near Paris, hope this isn't something to keep us happy then a week later "sorry we can't give refunds on PP tickets".
    I'd say The Offspring arranged this make-up concert without the instigation of Pukkelpop. I do find it highly unlikely we'll get refunds though.

I think this was The Offspring's own idea. It's not a make-up concert - they're playing two dates in Paris next week anyway, they just made a "large but limited" number of tickets available to people who should have seen them at Pukkelpop. I think it's really decent of them to do that, it's just our bad luck not to live there!
    Belgium has no government :pac:

Good point! It has got three regional authorities though. I wonder if they're more effective than our county councils :P

So is anyone actually gonna avail of the free gig tickets to The Offspring in Paris tomorrow night??

Nope. Can't get to Paris for the gig :(

• Advertisement

Cant get to Paris either :(
    Favourite band n all :mad:
    Really wish theyd play an Olympia gig

Advertisement