Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 open tray error, spins then laser turns off?

• 25-02-2011 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have searched everywhere, my xbox has the open tray error.
    I cleaned the laser eye, i cleaned the spindle, and now the disk is atleast spinning. Now it says reading and the laser will barely move, but it will light up. It then stops spinning, the laser turns off, and then continues to spin. All this occurs, and it continues to say open tray error. I need help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

I was getting this error on and off for months. Sometimes it would work and then not work for a long time. Changing the axis of the xbox from horizontal to vertical worked a few times( make sure to take the disk out first). I looked into getting it fixed but I think it was around 100 pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Your laser diode is too weak to read the discs. Return to Microsoft if you want to remain in warranty, if not then adjust the pots or failing that get the drive swapped :) Non-warranty method is about €50 for a new drive or €20 for a pot tweak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

My XBOX does this periodically, it is an old xbox (4 years old), first time it happened I was looking forward to a whole night on mw2. Didn't want to spend any money on getting it fixed, was well out of warranty. But I found a solution on the net. This will not fix your laser reader, but will sort it out for a while. Since it first happened a year ago it has happened about 10 times since. the solution always rights it for a while.

What I did was, take out disc. unhook all cables. put a cushion on the couch. hold xbox, button side down about 4-6 inches up and let it drop onto the cushion keeping your hands losely around the xbox so that it does not fall over onto the side. repeat the drop about 8 times.

Always works, though next week it will probably do the open tray thing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

My XBOX does this periodically, it is an old xbox (4 years old), first time it happened I was looking forward to a whole night on mw2. Didn't want to spend any money on getting it fixed, was well out of warranty. But I found a solution on the net. This will not fix your laser reader, but will sort it out for a while. Since it first happened a year ago it has happened about 10 times since. the solution always rights it for a while.

What I did was, take out disc. unhook all cables. put a cushion on the couch. hold xbox, button side down about 4-6 inches up and let it drop onto the cushion keeping your hands losely around the xbox so that it does not fall over onto the side. repeat the drop about 8 times.

That is soooo funny mate, laser are cheap enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Buy a new drive from ebay, make sure its the same model as the one in your xbox.
    Then take out your old one swap the circut boards around on the drives ,this means u wont have to flash the drive, the xbox thinks its the same drive as always, it has to be the exact same model drive or it wont work. once you stick the drive back in the XBOX it'll work like brand new. provided your out of warrenty if your in warrenty send it back to MS theyll replace the drive in about 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

The cheapest option would be to buy a laser, you should be able to find one for around 10 euro.

You'll find help replacing it on you tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

justryan wrote: »
    Are you serious?

yep, works every time for me.

Advertisement