Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Chicken Breasts

Options
  • 25-02-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Has anyone seen the size of the chicken breasts in Lidl. There about 4 times bigger than a normal chicken breast.

How can this be? They are from a "farm" with Bally in the name so they must be good and natural.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

They had chicken fillet implants?

*inserts georgia salpa breast reference*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Has anyone seen the size of the chicken breasts in Lidl. There about 4 times bigger than a normal chicken breast.

How can this be? They are from a "farm" with Bally in the name so they must be good and natural.
    Without coming across as a smart arse and i know this isn't after hours but
    anyone can put the name Bally before something.
    How about Ballycrap Farm?
    I haven't seen these breasts in question though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Some of Lidl's chicken is Bord Bia approved, so it is Irish. But I haven't noticed myself them being bigger than any normal chicken breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

r u sure you wern't lookin at turkey breasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

It might have just been by chance, sometimes when you see a packet of chicken fillets, you'll see 3 large ones in a packet and some with 4 medium and then 5 small.. Do they not go by weight?!

I doubt they're injected with water or anything.

We got a whole chicken from Dunnes or Tesco once and if you slapped a blonde wig on it and massive lips, it could have doubled for Dolly Parton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

eefums wrote: »
    r u sure you wern't lookin at turkey breasts?

No definitely chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I always thought that the chicken breasts were quite small for the price. I get my chicken breasts in Tesco! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I generally buy my chicken breasts from my butcher (who cuts them from whole free-range chickens) & they are 2 to 3 times the size of the measly things that you buy shrink-wrapped in most supermarkets.

So, I'd contend that the Lidl ones are 'proper' chicken breasts given their size.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I always thought that the chicken breasts were quite small for the price. I get my chicken breasts in Tesco! :)

I used to buy my chicken in Tesco, but alot of butchers in town have decent, free range chicken breasts at 5 fillets for 6 euro's. I think that contends with Tesco's prices and I know I feel alot better picking my own fillets out and knowing that they were sourced locally. :)
    Not dissing Tesco's at all, just thought I'd mention alot of butchers usually do good deals on things like that and many people don't know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There about 4 times bigger than a normal chicken breast.

How can this be?
    They are simply from bigger chickens. I got a extra large dunnes chicken once and cut off the breasts and they were 350g each. In tesco they sell chicken breasts in 288g containers, and I recently got 3 breasts in one pack (usually its 2) and the 3 did weigh just over 300g.

In a butchers nearby they have 10 for 10 and they weigh 130g on average.

I have heard in australia they usually have larger ones too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poor old lidl, if they were small people would complian about poor under-nourished birds and overcharging, if they too big it must be down to water or maybe creation of mutant birds. You could buy "standard sized" and just be slightly miffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i get the free range chicken fillets from dunnes. they have a label from the farms they are from and they are really good quality and tastey. they are a great price for the weight you get, considering they are always heavier than the marked package weight. the free range whole chickens have great flavour... just like chickens used to taste long ago. all just great quality for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I've stopped buying chicken breasts already removed from the chicken - in Aldi you can get an allegedly free-range chicken for around €5 - so I buy a few of those, get them home, take the breasts off, take the legs and wings off, freeze them in ziplock bags (breasts together, legs together, wings together etc.) and use the carcass for stock making. Works out a lot cheaper.

As far as size goes - we got given a free-range 7 or 8 month old cockerel last week (dead and plucked etc.) The breasts were much smaller than on an average free-range supermarket bird, and he was, of course, older than most supermarket birds - so I reckon it's down to breed - some are bigger than others and have been bred to have big breasts (the temptation to insert something witty here is hard to resist).

Edited to add: you do realise than chicken fillets and chicken breasts are not the same? The fillet is that much smaller flap of flesh under the breast proper. A fillet is usually at least half the size of a breast, if not smaller.

Advertisement