Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Nightlife

• 25-02-2011 12:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

Hi all, me and a group of friends are planning to come down to Carlow for a night out cause its my gf's birthday and just wondering what is the nightlife like over there particularly for students and what days? Also I heard from a friend that there is always a lot of trouble down there. Is that true? Cheers guys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 louie12ie

Sorry and also does anyone know any cheap accommodation possibly for a group of 8/9 of us as well would be great. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

louie12ie wrote: »
    Sorry and also does anyone know any cheap accommodation possibly for a group of 8/9 of us as well would be great. Thanks again

Scraggs Alley before the Foundry is what alot students seem to do.

Scraggs : http://www.scraggsalley.com/
    Foundry : http://www.dinnri.com/

Dolmen maybe?

Heres a link to two...
    Dolmen Hotel http://www.dolmenhotel.ie/
    Talbot http://www.talbotcarlow.ie/

Cheers thanks for that man but just wondering would you know any hostels or anything cause we are really just planning to pay no more than €20 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

no hostels in carlow as far as i know, u'll be lucky to get accom for less than 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Hi all, me and a group of friends are planning to come down to Carlow for a night out cause its my gf's birthday and just wondering what is the nightlife like over there particularly for students and what days? Also I heard from a friend that there is always a lot of trouble down there. Is that true? Cheers guys

Only trouble IMO is if you go supermacs and act the twat, ur gna get a slap, simple, im 25, majority of fights is gna be the masses of clubbers, drinkers, random socialites etc looking for food usually, all people who were out for different attitudes, musics tastes, and sum scumbags as each county has, and most head to the fast food epicentere, aka supermacs, so what can u expect? masses in small area = turmoil, just as kilkenny was from their fame of stags n hen nights, they got a 1.30am closin time for the last few yrs. if you go to any county youl enjoy it, aslong as you dont act the **** imo.

Im from carlow, and im goin out in cw for this wknd for the 4th time in 8yrs, (my best friends go weekly) as ive lived away, but each time i was there i had a fantastcic time,(i didnt act out of my persona even thi i was hammered, so many ppl tink der heros once they have dutch courage) so i say go out where you want, dont rely on opinion, use ur head, and enjoy it as it is!
    Ive also lived in d4 and also ballymun for 6 and 3months respectively, and had a great time, if that makes a difference to people, sadly it will, to many. Shame!
    PEACE! :)
    dabestman1 wrote: »
    no hostels in carlow as far as i know, u'll be lucky to get accom for less than 40.

Yeah, b+bs and hostels.. **** that,

Last 8years all me mates over ireland were looked after, and each time i sorted them with the Dolmen, i nvr had a complaint. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers guys really helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Cheers thanks for that man but just wondering would you know any hostels or anything cause we are really just planning to pay no more than €20 :)

There is what claims to be a hostel on the right hand side when heading towards the IT on the Kilkenny Road. Don't know anything about it though.

There is what claims to be a hostel on the right hand side when heading towards the IT on the Kilkenny Road. Don't know anything about it though.

WARNING: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! ;)

Sorry to shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is that the Otterholt? Stayed there a cupla times. Its the bare minimum you'd need for a night on the piss in Carlow. Nothing more!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is that the Otterholt?

Yeah, that's the one! Couldn't remember the name!

• Advertisement

PatrickD32 wrote: »
    Only trouble IMO is if you go supermacs and act the twat, ur gna get a slap, simple, im 25, majority of fights is gna be the masses of clubbers, drinkers, random socialites etc looking for food usually, all people who were out for different attitudes, musics tastes, and sum scumbags as each county has, and most head to the fast food epicentere, aka supermacs, so what can u expect? masses in small area = turmoil, just as kilkenny was from their fame of stags n hen nights, they got a 1.30am closin time for the last few yrs. if you go to any county youl enjoy it, aslong as you dont act the **** imo.

Im from carlow, and im goin out in cw for this wknd for the 4th time in 8yrs, (my best friends go weekly) as ive lived away, but each time i was there i had a fantastcic time,(i didnt act out of my persona even thi i was hammered, so many ppl tink der heros once they have dutch courage) so i say go out where you want, dont rely on opinion, use ur head, and enjoy it as it is!
    Ive also lived in d4 and also ballymun for 6 and 3months respectively, and had a great time, if that makes a difference to people, sadly it will, to many. Shame!
    PEACE! :)

Yeah, b+bs and hostels.. **** that,

Last 8years all me mates over Ireland were looked after, and each time i sorted them with the Dolmen, i nvr had a complaint. :)

What you say is relatively true, but i was in Supermac's the other night and there was 2 absolute disgusting Scumbags of 'women' trying to get in behind the counter and when the girl working there threatened to call the Gardaí she had racist comments aimed at her. Apparently these low life's thought they were entitled to come in to a fast food restaurant, run amok and walk behind the counter whenever they like, and who was a non-national with a different skin tone to tell them that they cant behave like animals in a normal society. hard enough to earn a few bob in a recession without putting up with that sh*te

A good mate of mine who wouldn't hurt a fly was ambushed by a group of young thugs on another occasion and lost a tooth. disgraceful carry on. so there is another prong to the argument that scum pick on soft targets.

this problem not limited to Carlow but greater society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Best thing to do is stay away from Supermacs usually, sure Potato Market has loads of places around it to get some food after a night out. Dolmen is a nice hotel, heard nice things but you'll prob need a taxi to get into town and back. Stayed in Seven Oaks myself before, beautiful place and was around 50 for the night so may be a bit more than you want to spend.

OP, have a good time in Carlow...it's good for a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

The place can be great and it can be dire it can be hit and miss the odd time

I like Teach Dolmain. Thursday nights you can have The Kilkennys or Roisin Dubh and local trad musicians playing the bit upstairs. a nice change from the nightclub scene. last week they had another Jersey shore night in the foundry. no thanks :rolleyes:

Looks like the SU are running out of things to put on for us:eek::eek:
    Jersey Shore 2 :eek::eek:

patdshaker wrote: »
    Looks like the SU are running out of things to put on for us:eek::eek:
    Jersey Shore 2 :eek::eek:

It said on the ad
    'Back by popular demand'

Which to be fair could also be the case because that's what most teenagers demand, and watch on tv these times :rolleyes: American fakery.

To be honest i went to the Rubberbandits in the temple during rag week as i thought it might be a laugh but they were a pile of HORSE-sh*te. ;) Pun intended.

Ah well each to their own i suppose.

I thought the Dirty Sanchez lads were the worst loved it when Poncho got pulled off the stage I was right next to the lad who did it, made my night

Advertisement