Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Wild Garlic - Advise?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Any tips - is it too late in the year to try this?

I am not looking to plant garlic bulbs - but Wild Garlic itself...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hi arknine --

My better half brought loads of wild garlic from the "old sod" many years ago so that we could "enjoy" the flowers and scent. I've spent many years since trying to stop it spreading to every part of the garden, digging it out, poisoning it etc etc and it still comes back every spring. :(

So, if you really want some - - maybe try some in a pot first.

You could try digging up some bulbs "in the green" - ideally in April-June.
    It takes quite easily and seems to prefer a well drained soil.

Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree 100%. We've got some variety of wild alium (not the broad leaved Ramsons, but something with thinner leaves) in our garden and it's got everywhere. Every spring we think we've dug it all up, but inevitably we miss a few bulbs and it returns next year.

Luckily though we've got a good source of the proper wild Ramsons nearby so no need to plant it.

Advertisement