Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Rumour that Barca have offered €27m for Vertongen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Reject it out of hand please, he's worth more than that anyway, and is pretty much priceless to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

We'd never get someone as good in as a replacement if he went (before the window).

Not liking that it's Barcelona though. A tough club to say no to.

We're light enough for defenders atm with injuries, can't see us selling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Hopefully its ploy from Barca to try and get Chelsea to accept a bid for Luiz, either way lets keep Verts, hes top class and the type of player we need if we want to move to the next level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Rumour that Barca have offered €27m for Vertongen
    The only place I saw that news was on that farce of a facebook page called 'caught offside' some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I hope its BS.

Its a lot of money for a CB, but my biggest worry would be if Verts wanted the move to happen himself.

Its not like the Bale situation in that Bale could have his pick of clubs if he was allowed to leave and he will get other opportunities to join RM but Verts might never get the chance to join Barca again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

If jan was sold then I could see avb walking out

Jan is the lynchpin of out team, more so then bale even

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »

You serious? Jan is a decent defender who is handy going forward.

I'm a big fan of him.

He's not the second coming of Ledley King though.

Can't see it happening, we are very stretched for defenders after selling Caulker You'll most likely see Livermore and Fryers again against Espanyol later today as we have nobody else fit.

Woohoo, Sandro just tweeted:
    After 6 months and 25 days today is the day. the day of my RETURN TO THE FIELDS ..Thanks for all the… http://instagram.com/p/c1BDbruanS/

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    You serious? Jan is a decent defender who is handy going forward.

I'm a big fan of him.

He's not the second coming of Ledley King though.

I think he is excellent. Seeing a Centre Back dribble out from defense gives the team and crowd a boost and I like to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think he is excellent. Seeing a Centre Back dribble out from defense gives the team and crowd a boost and I like to see it

I agree, great signing.

Benny just tweeted:

@AssouEkotto: Good luck to spurs all the best and many goal for them LOL #coys

Not sure if it's saying something or just a good luck tweet about todays match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah interesting how he's saying them instead of us.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Yeah interesting how he's saying them instead of us.

If we get Coentrao then I won't care, be a decent upgrade

Very true, great player

Lots of pictures of Caboue at the Lane. AVB said it's not quite done but I reckon it'll be announced shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Benny just tweeted:

@AssouEkotto: Good luck to spurs all the best and many goal for them LOL #coys

Not sure if it's saying something or just a good luck tweet about todays match.
    I wasn't very impressed with Rose today,ok going forward but I thought he was a bit headless, going nowhere,if it was an EPL game he would definitely have got two yellow cards for the silly fouls he committed.don't get rid of Benny yet.

It will be rose and contreou I'd say

Avb said that there will be more players in and out

I'd say we will offload the following players during the last day

Bae / Gomes / naughton / Parker / Hudd / ade

That should get us 25 mil, plus 14 for caulker and Dempsey = 40 million

And in worst case scenario then bale and Defoe will go also and we get another striker and winger in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Eriksen would be great signing. Not sure where he'd play though with the 2 Brazilians and Dembele also in the mix. If we spend more money, surely it's under the assumption that Bale will leave by the end of the month ??

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Eriksen would be great signing. Not sure where he'd play though with the 2 Brazilians and Dembele also in the mix. If we spend more money, surely it's under the assumption that Bale will leave by the end of the month ??

I think the plan is to buy cover now in case they come up with the cash at the last minute. There is a lot of extra cash about this year, we got 40m in TV rights, got one of the Modric payments and supposedly have 50m from Lewis. We also sold Caulker and Dempsey. The new rules mean we will not be able to spend big come January where our spending is dictated by our annual turnover (only 130m). I think the clubs attitude is if he goes, so what, we're ready. If he stays another year we'll lose him next year so why not prepare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I think the plan is to buy cover now in case they come up with the cash at the last minute. There is a lot of extra cash about this year, we got 40m in TV rights, got one of the Modric payments and supposedly have 50m from Lewis. We also sold Caulker and Dempsey. The new rules mean we will not be able to spend big come January where our spending is dictated by our annual turnover (only 130m). I think the clubs attitude is if he goes, so what, we're ready. If he stays another year we'll lose him next year so why not prepare now.

I don't think we'd spend 50/60m just in case something happens, no doubt Mr Levy has it all planned out in his head. I'd be very suprised if we were spending all this money and still planning to keep Bale, hope I'm wrong and we continue to spend and keep the boy wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I don't think we'd spend 50/60m just in case something happens, no doubt Mr Levy has it all planned out in his head. I'd be very suprised if we were spending all this money and still planning to keep Bale, hope I'm wrong and we continue to spend and keep the boy wonder.

I disagree.... Levy isn't going to spend a load of cash if a deal for Bale is not signed..... And I don't believe a contract has already been signed.

Hypothetically, If anything happened to Bale in his rehab which caused him to be out for six months then our balance sheet would be fooooked - the future of the club would be jeopardised.

I have to agree. If we buy anymore midfielders then it can only be because Bale is leaving. There's an outside chance that he might go next summer and we are preparing now but I find that a bit to hard to swallow.

The thing that had bothered me most is Bale not been at WHL yesterday. Injured or not it would generally be the norm for a player to still make an appearance, especially in a home game. Its not like its in the middle of the season and he needs rest or some serious medical condition that requires special treatment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ah no, avb has simple decided that his defensive line was pretty high, but why not rid of it completely by only having midfielders :P

I have to agree. If we buy anymore midfielders then it can only be because Bale is leaving. There's an outside chance that he might go next summer and we are preparing now but I find that a bit to hard to swallow.

The thing that had bothered me most is Bale not been at WHL yesterday. Injured or not it would generally be the norm for a player to still make an appearance, especially in a home game. Its not like its in the middle of the season and he needs rest or some serious medical condition that requires special treatment.

He could just be avoiding the limelight. Holtby and Verts weren't there yest either. AVB gave an interview yesterday where he said the Welsh medical team were assessing the situation, now if he wasn't injured why would he mention them and draw them into the speculation. Leave your judgement to see if he plays for Wales.

I feel the situation is, Bale wants to go, his head has been turned, but it doesn't look like a suitable offer is going to come so he'll be forced to back down and stay. Therefore it's doubtful you'll see Bale until the window closes, then hopefully he'll eat some humble pie.....

What if RM are playing Levy at his own game ... Maybe they have accepted the fact that they need to pay £100m but rather than sign him up now and thus giving us 2 or 3 weeks to spend it, instead they wait until 24 hours before transfer deadline before completely the deal and leaving us with our pants around our ankles.

I'd hope Levy would tell the to shag off in that case. It's no good getting rid of Bale without being able to get at least one replacement. Hopefully he realises this too.

• Advertisement

What if RM are playing Levy at his own game ... Maybe they have accepted the fact that they need to pay £100m but rather than sign him up now and thus giving us 2 or 3 weeks to spend it, instead they wait until 24 hours before transfer deadline before completely the deal and leaving us with our pants around our ankles.

There is no way Levy would spend money we haven't got. All the money that has been spent could be accounted for if you take the supposed 50m from Lewis, 40m from TV and the sale of Caulker and Dempsey. The HP sponsorship and NBC must be worth a few quid also. We released a few others from our books, Bentley etc.

Take a look at how much other clubs like Norwich have increased their spending
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2326128/Premier-League-transfers--summer-2013.html

Advertisement