Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

mickman wrote: »
    but Lennon is a big possibility to leave in my opinion. Why keep him when Townsend is actually a better player and we have lots of midfield cover

No chance lennon going anywhere. Hugely important to our team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I'd keep Lennon mate, great pace and a threat is most games. Agree Townsend looks good, but no harm in having both.

No point in having two players that are very simliar. Lennon is 25 now and looks like he wont get any better . He cant shoot and rarely scores

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

No point in having two players that are very simliar. Lennon is 25 now and looks like he wont get any better . He cant shoot and rarely scores

Disagree. It's gonna be a long season, what happens if you sell lennon and Townsend gets injured for 3 months ? Go 3 months without a natural winger with pace in the side? It would be madness to sell lennon for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just reading up on the sums on another site.

Looks like Bale is going to go to RM for in and around £90M (Give or take)
    We also made £20M from the sale of Caulker, Parker and Dempsey. That gives us a total of approx £110M is sales

To date we have spent, £25 on Soldado, £16 on Paulinho, Somewhere where between £9M and £12M on Capoue and approx£8M-£10M on Chadli, so total spends are coming in around the £60M-£65M mark.

That still leave £50 surplus.
    This Romanian dude is gonna cost £7M-9M

That still leaves a lot of money in the coffers. .... And that's without all this extra £40M in TV deals and loans from Joe Lewis (which in hindsight looks like it was just wishful thinking when we hoped Bale was staying).

This isn't a case of me taking a pop at Levy, far from it. This summer we have bought quality and we have bought early and done some very sound business but I'm concerned that we could see that £40M surplus disappearing and been swallowed up by ENIC very quickly if its not reinvested before Sept 2nd.

• Advertisement

Disagree. It's gonna be a long season, what happens if you sell lennon and Townsend gets injured for 3 months ? Go 3 months without a natural winger with pace in the side? It would be madness to sell lennon for me.

yeah suppose. in an ideal world we will keep both but not sure it will happen. Id say siggy and holtby will be used as winger cover for both flanks

Just reading up on the sums on another site.

Looks like Bale is going to go to RM for in and around £90M (Give or take)
    We also made £20M from the sale of Caulker, Parker and Dempsey. That gives us a total of approx £110M is sales

To date we have spent, £25 on Soldado, £16 on Paulinho, Somewhere where between £9M and £12M on Capoue and approx£8M-£10M on Chadli, so total spends are coming in around the £60M-£65M mark.

That still leave £50 surplus.
    This Romanian dude is gonna cost £7M-9M

That still leaves a lot of money in the coffers. .... And that's without all this extra £40M in TV deals and loans from Joe Lewis (which in hindsight looks like it was just wishful think when we hoped Bale was staying).

This isn't a case of me taking a pop at Levy, far from it. This summer we have bought quality and we have bought early and done some very sound business but I'm concerned that we could see that £40M surplus disappearing and been swallowed up by ENIC very quickly if its not reinvested before Sept 2nd.

I don't think all of the incoming transfer money was ever going to be fully used. Remember, things haven't changed as reagrds to Levy/Lewis/Spurs and spending more than what we have. We have spent 50/60m because Levy knew he was in for a huge windfall with the Bale money. All the talk of Spurs splashing out massively on mega signings was all a bit wishy washy. We spent 50/60m because we are going to get it all back this week, no other reason. It would be different if we were after spending 150m on new players.

yeah suppose. in an ideal world we will keep both but not sure it will happen. Id say siggy and holtby will be used as winger cover for both flanks

I think the 4 of them will stay. The ones to leave now if the manager gets his way would be BAE, Adebayor and probably defoe if we got another striker in along with Lamela.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

I don't think all of the incoming transfer money was ever going to be fully used. Remember, things haven't changed as reagrds to Levy/Lewis/Spurs and spending more than what we have. We have spent 50/60m because Levy knew he was in for a huge windfall with the Bale money. All the talk of Spurs splashing out massively on mega signings was all a bit wishy washy. We spent 50/60m because we are going to get it all back this week, no other reason. It would be different if we were after spending 150m on new players.

If they spend another 50m on Hulk and Lamela I dont think anyone can complain that the Bale money was not reinvested

slegs wrote: »
    If they spend another 50m on Hulk and Lamela I dont think anyone can complain that the Bale money was not reinvested

Agree. Have my doubts that we will spend 30 on both Lamela and Hulk, but hopefully we do and I'm proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

See, I think the club have a lot more money than we think, here's my previous post with TV money the clubs received.
    Found this

PL-TV-income-11-12-split.jpg

PL-TV-split-13-14-forecasts1.jpg

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/06/19/premier-league-tv-rights-qa-including-where-the-money-goes-and-what-next-190601/

The money form 2012-2013 is the same as 2011-2012 according to the article hence why there is no 2012-2013 data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Were you saying Townsend was better than Lennon before the game against Dinamo Tbilisi?

Do you not think it's a bit premature? I think he's improving at a rate of knots and is turning into a fine prospect, but Lennon has been consistently good for years, has improved his final ball, is defensively and positionally as good as you could ask of a winger, and is as fast as he ever was.

No manager worth his salt will sell a player like that because the backup winger looked good in a 5-0 win against Dinamo Tbilisi.

Agree. Have my doubts that we will spend 30 on both Lamela and Hulk, but hopefully we do and I'm proved wrong.

I really hope we don't get Hulk, he's not a team player and would be on massive wages.

Don't think he will come to us anyway.

Ormus wrote: »
    Were you saying Townsend was better than Lennon before the game against Dinamo Tbilisi?

Do you not think it's a bit premature? I think he's improving at a rate of knots and is turning into a fine prospect, but Lennon has been consistently good for years, has improved his final ball, is defensively and positionally as good as you could ask of a winger, and is as fast as he ever was.

No manager worth his salt will sell a player like that because the backup winger looked good in a 5-0 win against Dinamo Tbilisi.

Not so sure on that, he's no longer trying cross the ball in from the corner as he's not able, it's obvious he's being told to cut the ball back instead.

Not so sure on that, he's no longer trying cross the ball in from the corner as he's not able, it's obvious he's being told to cut the ball back instead.

He either cuts it back or he chips his crosses rather than trying to whip it in.

Townsend does the same thing, neither of them are able to whip crosses effectively.

It's more that Lennon's decision making and awareness has improved.

Anfield Oracle ‏@AnfieldOracle 2 m
    "AS have been contacted in the last few hours by sources close to Suarez to say that Real Madrid have re-opened talks with #LFC."

Townsend had a great loan spell with QPR last season. He has more potential than lennon, lennon is gone as far as he can, he will never be a top player

Anfield Oracle ‏@AnfieldOracle 2 m
    "AS have been contacted in the last few hours by sources close to Suarez to say that Real Madrid have re-opened talks with #LFC."

If this is true , are they giving up on bale ? No way will they buy both

If this is true , are they giving up on bale ? No way will they buy both

Of course they might. They might be selling, De Maria or Ozil to fund most of the Suarez deal

Of course they might. They might be selling, De Maria or Ozil to fund most of the Suarez deal

di maria is being touted at 25 million, surely suarez is worth 50

• Advertisement

Townsend had a great loan spell with QPR last season. He has more potential than lennon, lennon is gone as far as he can, he will never be a top player

I agree, he did, and that's why he has earned a place in the squad.

You don't sell an established player for a player with potential. You keep the established player and develop the player with potential.

It's the only professional thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

wasn't too long ago lennon went on that masy run and squared the ball to crouchy in the san siro....................have faith mick.

I agree, he did, and that's why he has earned a place in the squad.

You don't sell an established player for a player with potential. You keep the established player and develop the player with potential.

It's the only professional thing to do.

fair enough but if lamela comes in then he may play on the right wing

wasn't too long ago lennon went on that masy run and squared the ball to crouchy in the san siro....................have faith mick.

he is a good player, no doubt and id like him to stay but i dont think he can drive us forward, thats all

he is a bit like defoe

fair enough but if lamela comes in then he may play on the right wing

Yeah I'm hoping Lamela comes, he looks a class above.

Lamela and Lennon for the right wing, Townsend and Chadli for the left. Plenty of games and a long season, we can run all 4 of them into the ground and terrorise defences everywhere.

di maria is being touted at 25 million, surely suarez is worth 50

All I'm saying is that they have a couple of lads they could sell to raise nice sums to go towards any other players they want to bring in

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Alice, Alice Who the f**K is Lamela??

im very sick of refreshing the internet every 5 mins! Cant wait for the window to close

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm hating it at this stage as well. It's literally the first thing i check every morning when my alarm goes off. Most of the good stuff happens when i'm asleep (GMT +9 here), and i can't help myself :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Honestly ....

I have never seen Eriksson or Lamela kick a ball.
    Anytime ive seen Hulk he was poison..
    Mad money being mentioned for these guys.
    Where are the days off Michael Brown and John Scales gone ???
    At least we knew we were getting sh1te !!

;)

Advertisement