Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Holtby? He can play that position and I reckon could be quite good at it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »
    United didnt strengthen really, fellani is not top class

Liverpool just bought a raft of average players

Chelsea are ok , dont look great

Arsenal are still very very light, one player wont solve their issues.

City have bought the best but arent playing well ... yet

Going by the above , we dont have anything to be majorly concerned about

I'm not sure Mick.
    Liverpool look strong to me, and they have strengthened considerably in their weakest position, centre half, and the best centre forward in the league still has to come back in to the side.

Chelsea look better than ok for me. Willian signed on top of some top top players such as Mata Oscar Hazard & Luiz makes them odds on for a top 3 finish.

Arsenal, yes they look a little light with the injuries but once they get them back, along with Ozil, and if JW stays fit, they will be very strong.

City, strengthened massively, and will be a huge force, loads of goals in them.

United are United.
    biggest issue is that we have one behind the striker kind of player and thats eriksen.

If he dosent click or gets injured then we will struggle to score goals

Plenty of lads can play behind the striker, dembele sig, holtby, Lamela, it's just a case if they can do the business or not, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

The Coentrao deal didn't go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I would of prefered if Carrroll went to Ajax he could of learnt so much there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Yes, but we have had success with sending players to QPR, Walker and Townsend came back being very good. He may not have broke the first team in Ajax, at least with QPR he'll play week in week out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Mick.
    Liverpool look strong to me, and they have strengthened considerably in their weakest position, centre half, and the best centre forward in the league still has to come back in to the side.

Chelsea look better than ok for me. Willian signed on top of some top top players such as Mata Oscar Hazard & Luiz makes them odds on for a top 3 finish.

Arsenal, yes they look a little light with the injuries but once they get them back, along with Ozil, and if JW stays fit, they will be very strong.

City, strengthened massively, and will be a huge force, loads of goals in them.

United are United.

Jeez , its sounds lilke we dont have a hope :-)

we have no idea how suarez will do this season when he wasnt allowed leave, he appears to me to be a sulker.
    Sturridge will fade away for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Looking at the league last season, this is how I see it now;

1. Man Utd - Probably got weaker, relatively speaking, as the teams behind them all strengthened. Can't write them off, but I think they're aiming for top three.

2. Man City - Did good business throughout their squad. Though I still think their defence will leak, unlike in the Macini days. Going forward they will outscore most team. Realistically going for top two.

3. Chelsea - A very strong squad, a manager who has instilled further confidence. Can't see them finishing outside the top two.

4. Arsenal - Strong first team, as we saw at the weekend. The addition of Ozil will create more chances and they'll score more goals, but they could struggle over the busy Winter schedule.

5. THFC - A stronger squad than last season, though a lot of talented individual parts. If the team don't gel quickly, confidence could drop due to the weight of expectation. Norwich and Cardiff, before Chelsea in Sept, and then West Ham, Villa and Hull in October.... if things aren't clicking by the end of October, we can say goodbye to 4th. Probably the most imortant period in our season. We need at least 12 points frm a possible 18 - imo.

6. Everton - Great business from Martinez. Got rid of Fellaini (they played long balls up to him) and brought in a deadly striker (Lukaku) and a ball playing midfielder (Barry). Don't discount Everton for 4th.

7. Liverpool - Rogers came in at the same time as AVB to us and had the same vision. His vision is starting to come to fruition, which is visible in early results. Three on-nil wins, one against United. The players are confident, the fans are confident and things are clicking. Liverpool will be competing for a top three spot.

My summary, I think the top 7 will be the tightest ever. If we fail to pick up the required points in the Sept/Oct fixtures then we could be in trouble.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

6. Everton - Don't discount Everton for 4th. Wha?

7. Liverpool - Liverpool will be competing for a top three spot. True they've had a good start but that's being optimistic.

Sugarlumps wrote: »

6. Everton - Don't discount Everton for 4th. Wha?

7. Liverpool - Liverpool will be competing for a top three spot. True they've had a good start but that's being optimistic.

I'm just emphasising how competitive the Top 7 will be this season.

Sorry, I should have qualified my positions, if things go to plan and teams get a bit of luck going their way, I could see Everton competing for fourth spot come May. Also, if things go well for Liverpool, they could be there or thereabouts competing with us or United for third.

I'm a ridiculously optimistic Spurs fan, but talk of the title is a bit much. We haven't scored from open play in three matches and we have a lot of new players who need to gel.

I'm happy to hold judgement until the first week in November. If we do click over Sept/Oct, it could be the best Spurs team in my living memory....... there's a big 'if' there.

Ah know you're right in saying about the top seven being so competitive, I have absolutely no clue on who will win the title this season. Or how the top four will pan out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

SuprSi wrote: »
    Holtby? He can play that position and I reckon could be quite good at it

Holtby will be a good signing for us yet. People writing him off already because he only cost us £1.5m. At 22yrs old he played 55 games for Shalke. He's a creative / attacking midfielder. Form: Scored three in three too;)

QPR will toughen him up, playing in the championship alongside Joey Barton. A great move for him. He could have sat on the bench at Ajax. Harry will proabably give him 20 games.

On an unrelated point, Redknapp signed Kranjcar again. Didn't he bench him for a whole season at Spurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kranjcar played a massive part in us getting 4th for the first time, the winner at Stoke was arguably our biggest goal of that period.

He was benched when VdV arrived in August 11 which was understandable. Arry ad im at Pompey too so he obviously likes him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

United didnt strengthen really, fellani is not top class

Liverpool just bought a raft of average players

Chelsea are ok , dont look great

Arsenal are still very very light, one player wont solve their issues.

City have bought the best but arent playing well ... yet

Going by the above , we dont have anything to be majorly concerned about

ohh I wouldn't say that now. They've made a bright start and still have Suarez to come back. I reckon they could be the surprise package this season, will be very close for top 4 between ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool

nbar12 wrote: »
    ohh I wouldn't say that now. They've made a bright start and still have Suarez to come back. I reckon they could be the surprise package this season, will be very close for top 4 between ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool

well what i said was they bought average players which they did, victor moses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I cant wait to see a midfield with both Holtby and Eriksen starting

Depp wrote: »
    I cant wait to see a midfield with both Holtby and Eriksen starting

Can't see that happening. Both players play in the same position

Goodbye Eriksen vid on Ajax website, serious tekkers! Can't wait to see him play!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Goodbye Eriksen vid on Ajax website, serious tekkers! Can't wait to see him play!

58secs.....Genius :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

right or left peg..
    piece of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

holy s*it!!! this guy looks class!!!honestly didnt know much about him before we signed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

ah i looked him up the last time we were puttin in for him, hes a class act, avb should really start rotating between him and holtby or possibly both of them in behind soldado...could be very effective...really hope adabayor gets hi head in it this year aswel

he looks a very good player

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm so happy i can stop looking at this thread now :P

right or left peg..
    piece of piss.

Yeah, this stood out to me too. I hate professional footballers who only have one foot. I'd expect all U-12s to be competent with both feet!

Depp wrote: »
    ah i looked him up the last time we were puttin in for him, hes a class act, avb should really start rotating between him and holtby or possibly both of them in behind soldado...could be very effective...really hope adabayor gets hi head in it this year aswel

It's unlikely that Holtby and Eriksen will be on the pitch at one time, but I can't agree more on the Adebayor point. I really hope he gets his head down and competes for a place. I'm probably p!ssing in to the wind, but here's hoping!

Just found this about Eriksen on Wikipedia;
    Having come to terms with Tottenham Hotspur in England, Eriksen left Ajax having appeared in 113 league matches, scoring 25 goals and 41 assists. He played in 16 matches for the KNVB Cup, scoring four goals and making four assists. He made 30 appearances on the continental stage for Ajax, scoring three goals, and making 9 assists all together.

League: 113 matches, directly involved in 66 goals.

Hopefully Soldado is licking his lips at this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Adebayor at his best would have made a difference last Sunday. It was another option. Now that we have kept him we might as well keep him happy and get the best out of him.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Adebayor at his best would have made a difference last Sunday. It was another option. Now that we have kept him we might as well keep him happy and get the best out of him.

agreed. we could even play ade and soldado together, ade is well able to hold up the ball and bring soldado and lamela into the play

golfball37 wrote: »

How would you suggest Tottenham keep him happy, not a dig at you either? What's he got to be unhappy about? I predict he plays very few games and gets lost in a jungle.

• Advertisement

Opta Joe on Erikssen:
    138 - Christian Eriksen created more chances than any other player in the Dutch Eredivisie last season (138). Schemer
    https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/statuses/372785810073845760

Adebayor seemed pretty happy scoring and assisting at Stamford Bridge last season, as did I! I still have (blind) faith in the man. On his day he's a great player, can do a great job left or right in a front three for us!
    Sugarlumps wrote: »
    How would you suggest Tottenham keep him
    happy, not a dig at you either? What's he got to be unhappy about? I predict he plays very few games and gets lost in a jungle.

Out of order by the way, keep your 'immature' comments to yourself.

Advertisement