Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Lots of talk on Twitter that we're close to signing him. He's free and only looking for 60k wages so cheaper than Ade, would make a good backup. I'd expect Kane to go out on loan

Can we sign free transfers with window closed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

mickman wrote: »
    Can we sign free transfers with window closed ?

Yes, you can sign free players anytime, but I don't think they can play until Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

551186_552402661497879_577444108_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

exact same could be said for eriksen near enough aswel...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Are we done yet?!

Apparently Romanian international striker and free agent Ciprian Marica has claimed "I am in negotiations with three teams, I hope I will be able to tell you the name of my next team by the end of next week.”

With former teammate Lewis Holtby and compatriot Chiriches both plying their trade at the Lane, what are the chances AVB might prefer this guy (who can also play as a winger) in his squad to Adebayor/Kane, who are both being linked with a move to QPR?

Possibility-o-meter (out of 10)....?:cool:

He's after signing for Getafe anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

They could have produced a more recent photo of Levy than that. Unless Damien Comolli has replaced Baldini or something?

Also queue the onslaught of Liverpool fans claiming we've 'stole' another player on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

You're more than welcome to him, Liverpool will have a different calibre of player's to attract this summer anyway.

I like to stop in here once in awhile btw, see how the title challenge is shaping up :D

• Advertisement

aramush wrote: »
    You're more than welcome to him, Liverpool will have a different calibre of player's to attract this summer anyway.

I like to stop in here once in awhile btw, see how the title challenge is shaping up :D

I don't like to go into the Liverpool thread. Full of smug twats, always have been even when they were ****e last season. Atleast you aren't one of those Liverpool fans though eh?!!

Looking forward to firstly seeing who Liverpool sign in the summer and secondly how that small squad manages with mid week fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Pav, Rebrov, Zhirkov, Shevchenko, Smertin, Pogrebnyak, Bilyaletdinov, Arshavin, Voronin...

Russian/Ukrainian players are an almost guaranteed fail in England, yet they still cost as much as or more than players from other countries. I don't get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

aramush wrote: »

irishmover wrote: »
    I don't like to go into the Liverpool thread. Full of smug twats, always have been even when they were ****e last season. Atleast you aren't one of those Liverpool fans though eh?!!

I actually welcome the banter. I've made a few smug comments at Liverpool and pool fans over the last few years (as we all have :P), so we need to be able to take it in return. We avoid most of the real bile that a select few fans have (not aimed at Liverpool fans, just some people in general), so the odd visitor is a good thing.

Hes also got a point. Any big players would choose Liverpool over us any day as things stand. They are playing better football, and are almost guaranteed a CL spot.

Kiith wrote: »
    I actually welcome the banter. I've made a few smug comments at Liverpool and pool fans over the last few years (as we all have :P), so we need to be able to take it in return. We avoid most of the real bile that a select few fans have (not aimed at Liverpool fans, just some people in general), so the odd visitor is a good thing.

Hes also got a point. Any big players would choose Liverpool over us any day as things stand. They are playing better football, and are almost guaranteed a CL spot.

My second comment wasn't a snide comment at all. It was sincere. I'm looking forward to seeing who they sign and how they perform next season with the added fixtures.

I suppose my ailment is the fact these Liverpool fans are surfacing now. A club who have had a shocking time for the past 5-6 years, then within less than 4 months turned into the fans they hate, Man United fans.

I used to like Liverpool and their fans but this season shows how quick things can get to a fans head. Spurs fans are no saints either. I like to keep away from the banter (on the soccer forum), except when it's completely justified.

Personal preference to not get involved I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Mail have it that Caulker could be on the way back if Cardiff get relegated. Could be some truth in this, I think I remember reading about a first refusal buy back clause when we sold him (should never have).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2587259/Steven-Caulker-set-Tottenham-return-transfer-news.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Also other reports that Turkish club Besiktas have an offer on the table for Kaboul, it may be best, he's had a rough time with injuries

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/younes-kaboul-transfer-tottenham-defender-3271654

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Not sure which thread to put this photo in, but I think it applies to the Levy thread too...

We're the biggest transfer revenue generator of the top five leagues in the last five years.

1560518_614324428641631_1540972441_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Not sure which thread to put this photo in, but I think it applies to the Levy thread too...

We're the biggest transfer revenue generator of the top five leagues in the last five years.

That's mad. Even taking out the Bale transfer, we'd be around 6th or 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

1560518_614324428641631_1540972441_n.png

Liverpool is much more impressive, they're in a title hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The surprise for me in that table is that Real Madrid are second on €304M. You don't really get many high profile transfers out of Madrid, or I can't really remember too many anyhow. They must be breeding and flogging kids somewhere along the line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Deise Vu wrote: »
    The surprise for me in that table is that Real Madrid are second on €304M. You don't really get many high profile transfers out of Madrid, or I can't really remember too many anyhow. They must be breeding and flogging kids somewhere along the line!

Not too surprising, off the top of my head I can think of Ozil (€45m), Higuain (€35m), Albiol (€12m) - they're all last Summer.

Then they also sold Robben, VDV, Negredo, Huntelaar and Sneijder (€80m approx).

That's only €172m but they're estimated figures and names off the top of my head. My point is, they have a large turnover of big name players.

While we deal in €10-15m players, they deal in €20-30m players - so we shouldn't be ahead of them in this table! :o

They also sell a lot of younger players for a few million at a time. That quickly adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Looking to the summer in's and outs.

The generally consensus is that our FB's are our biggest problem and have been for a few seasons now. Any decent defense could carry a liability like naughton (or Rose) or Walker for a time but not the two of them at the same time for the whole season. Too costly.

Then there's Dawson, great servant and all that but passed it.

Kaboul - quality player but awful injury record and in last few year of his deal. Not exactly the type of player for a new manager to build his new defense around.

Vertz, looks to be heading for the exit. Unrecognizable from the player of last year.

So thats a whole new back four then ???!!?? That can't be right... These are the same players who did so well defensively last season and the first dozen games or so this year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Vertz, looks to be heading for the exit. Unrecognizable from the player of last year.

The new manager will give him a swift kick up the arse hopefully :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Looking to the summer in's and outs.

The generally consensus is that our FB's are our biggest problem and have been for a few seasons now. Any decent defense could carry a liability like naughton (or Rose) or Walker for a time but not the two of them at the same time for the whole season. Too costly.

Then there's Dawson, great servant and all that but passed it.

Kaboul - quality player but awful injury record and in last few year of his deal. Not exactly the type of player for a new manager to build his new defense around.

So thats a whole new back four then ???!!?? That can't be right... These are the same players who did so well defensively last season and the first dozen games or so this year.

Don't forget Lloris. I can see him leaving the club too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

More talk of Caulker coming back, I'd welcome him, would be a definite improvement on Dawson

The new manager will give him a swift kick up the arse hopefully :pac:

Hopefully the new guy can come in and convince him to stay, can't see us been able to replace him with a players of similar caliber.

Been realistic, I wouldn't mind us making a move for Lescott or Jagilka. At least you'd know what you are getting, very little risk involved, lots of EPL experience, can hit the ground running.

Don't forget Lloris. I can see him leaving the club too. :(

God I hope not. Best keeper we have had in .... 15 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Im not sure its all doom and gloom at the back.

Kabouls finally getting a run of games together. He could convince them that hes worth a new contract if he stays in the team til the end of the year.

I dont agree with all the stuff walker gets on here. Yes he makes mistakes but i can live with that. I feel the problem with him is he gets involved in too much talking to the ref and opposition and then seems to lose concentration. With the right coach those this could be sorted out i believe. Also lennon has been dreadful and that hasnt helped him. Hes our most effective player on the right

Dawson i agree with and the same with jan but if a manager he wanted to play for came in next year i feel he could be talked into staying and improving his game.

Id happily have taken a new left back for the past 3 years and that doesnt change.

Lets not forget vlad though.

I would focus on a new LB but if we had the Vertz of last year and kaboul together with vlad as third choice id be happy.

Naughton and rose are fine as replacements giving well be in the europa.

A 4th choice centre back would be my only other one i think unless a bargain came up
    Im happy to give walker another year.

• Advertisement

^^^^ I don't thinks its all doom and gloom either. In fact the last thing we need is another raft of new players coming and going again this summer.

Can't help feel that Dawson is gonna be the next Gallas ->>> hanging around long after he should be gone and getting more games then he should be. Kaboul, he's the new Ledley King too.

Agree with Walker comments. Of our FB options, he's the better of the 3 and while he can be prone to errors and mistakes he does offer plenty of positives too. My point was that no defense can afford to play with Walker AND naughton (or Rose) together and hope to finish top 4.

Advertisement