Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Yeah i agree with the last part definitely.

I wanted a LB last year more than anything other than a striker. Having said that i was happy to give rose a chance. He just hasnt been consistently good enough at all.

But again whoevers been playing in front of him (other than chadli) hes been doing the work of two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Yeah i agree with the last part definitely.

I wanted a LB last year more than anything other than a striker. Having said that i was happy to give rose a chance. He just hasnt been consistently good enough at all.

But again whoevers been playing in front of him (other than chadli) hes been doing the work of two

It's a shame, I was expecting a solid season from him. He could be converted into a winger. I believe he could still offer the club something.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    It's a shame, I was expecting a solid season from him. He could be converted into a winger. I believe he could still offer the club something.

I didnt see much of him last year but its a big step up to go from relegation/mid table to challenging for the top 4.

I wouldnt right him off and hed be a very useful second choice in the league and starter in the europa and cup games. Of as you say cover for the wing. I wouldnt want to offload him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If United, PSG or even RM came in with a silly bid of circa 15m then I'd take it and run.

The sensible thing to do would be to a solid replacement first but we won't do that of course.

If United, PSG or even RM came in with a silly bid of circa 15m then I'd take it and run.

The sensible thing to do would be to a solid replacement first but we won't do that of course.

Are we still talking about danny rose here?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Thought it was Walker he was talking about. As Walker was linked with RM and PSG in the past but definitely don't believe it to be Rose anyway!

If it's Vertonghen I'd be shocked if he was sold for £15m.

I was talking about Walker. I was responding to Sugarlumps comments about 'converting to a winger' which I assumed was in reference to Walker but when I reread it I think the comments were originally about Rose.

15m for Rose... Jayzus. I'd take 6m for him gladly

irishmover wrote: »

If it's Vertonghen I'd be shocked if he was sold for £15m.

You think we would get much more? Maybe if it was last summer but not now. Plus its fairly obvious he wants out which would make it more difficult for Levy to squeeze every penny out of the deal.

I was talking about Walker. I was responding to Sugarlumps comments about 'converting to a winger' which I assumed was in reference to Walker but when I reread it I think the comments were originally about Rose.

15m for Rose... Jayzus. I'd take 6m for him gladly

So what do I win? :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

A lot of players need to go in the summer
    for one Rose definitely the amount of times he go absolutely shafted by sterling and johnson was embarrassing and in general this season.

I would get rid of

1.Rose - Enough said

2.Kaboul-Hero but his knees are gone now I'd only keep him if Vert doesn't go to City

3.Dawson-Rubbish

4.Lennon not good enough now that the likes of Bale,Rafa,Niko,Modric are gone he's been exposed 1 goal 1 assist is absolutely pathetic for a man whose been playing top flight for 9 years.

5.Bentaleb(L) - I pray sherwood is not in charge he is simply atrocious right now and it's a disgrace he starts ahead of Dembele,Sandro,Capoue,Paulinho,
    constantly makes terrible passes and gives the ball away for fun.

6.Paulinho - I hear Real were interested I say take 20mill plus he's just a weak holding mid and has no creative ability about him.

7.Naughton - Same as Rose just terrible we need a better RB to challenge Walker

8.Siggy - Waste of space we have Eriksen now to replace the void of VDV.

Now as far as bringing players In If LVG comes I pray he gets the keys

If Lloris leaves which he is perfectly entitled to we can easily snap up Stekelenburg who I rate highly

We need CBs Caulker would be lovely rate the lad plus he's seems like a true leader something which we need I'd also take Lovren in a heartbeat.

FBs desperately need some reinforcements it's blindly obvious the weakest area for us I think someone like Debuchy would do wonders and elevate Walker to train harder,as far as LBs go I'd take someone like Martin Olsson at Norwich at least he has an end product and doesn't get hammy's all day

In the middle of the pitch it's quite clear since Modric left we have been clueless in the middle we need a pirlo like player one player under the radar would be Montolivo at Milan real quality Playmaker different to Modric but has CREATIVITY if we coudln't get him there is also Borja Valero at Fiorentina.

Wingers desperate that Konoplyanka lad couldn't be worse than what we have so I'd take him and if LVG makes Levy part with the money El Shaarawy would be an incredible signing.

Upfront we are fine unless Ade leaves plus Soldado will come good I feel especially with GOOD CREATIVE PLAYERS AROUND HIM.

I would love our team next season to be

Lloris(Stek if leaves)
    Debuchy - Lovren(Vert) - Caulker(Vlad boy) - M.Ollson(BAE or new FB)
    Capoue/Dembele - Montolivo/Valero
    Lamela - Eriksen/Holtby - Konoplayanka/El Shawaary/Eriksen
    Soldado/Adebayor

Bit ambitious but it's going to be a transitional year plus LVG is one of the best around I pray Capoue does not get sold he has far more talent than Sandro,Dembele,Bentaleb and Paulinho have as a holding mid and only Dembele has more overall talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

I would try and hold on to paulihno, I honestly think that he is a great player lacking confidence. Scholari knows what he's doing and has reassured him he's a big part of Brazils plans, AVB was getting him playing excellent at the start of the season. It can destroy a players confidence when you have someone like Dim picking bentaleb week in week out ahead of you, I'm sure him and Sandro are thinking this idiot picking the team hasn't a clue. If he goes to Madrid he'll be brilliant

Olsson and Debuchy? More mid table signings.

No thanks!

You better make room for Livermore there, especially if TS is still in charge next season. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Townsend is another one to cash in on, snap the hands of whoever offers 6m+

Olsson and Debuchy? More mid table signings.

No thanks!

Oh ye Walker and Rose are real defensive prodigies eh.

Oh ye Walker and Rose are real defensive prodigies eh.

So the solution is to go sideways?

So the solution is to go sideways?

Debuchy is about 10 times the player Walker is and ever will be

M.Olson is a little bit better than Rose

Sure it's not like Spurs can go out and sign Alaba and Zabaleta.

Coentrao refused to join last summer I hope that gives you an idea.

Debuchy is about 10 times the player Walker is and ever will be

M.Olson is a little bit better than Rose

Sure it's not like Spurs can go out and sign Alaba and Zabaleta.

Coentrao refused to join last summer I hope that gives you an idea.

Debuchy is hardly 10 times better than Walker. He's also 29 in July so not young.

Martin Olsson is just alright. Better than Rose but wouldn't be the quality to propel us back up the table.

Montolivo is also 29 next season so don't think would be what we should be chasing either. And also could struggle to settle.

Another summer of lots of ins and outs is hardly what we need. Full Backs should be addressed and most likely a new centre half/GK as we'll probably see Vertonghen and Lloris leave but outside of that I wouldn't change a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I think if the club appoints Van Gaal, then the likes of Lloris will stay.

Debuchy is hardly 10 times better than Walker. He's also 29 in July so not young.Easily Walker has his good moments but then has a lot of brain farts look at how many fouls he's given away in the last 2 years that led to goals and how many wasted opportunities he's wasted with **** crosses the age thing is hardly a good argument Alves and Lahm nearly 31 Sagna is 31 Zab is 29 even Distin a CB is 36 and still in better shape than most in the league how is Walker ever going to improve if he has no competition for places it's basically a free ride for him

Martin Olsson is just alright. Better than Rose but wouldn't be the quality to propel us back up the table.He has an end product Rose is absolutely appalling and another braindead player see the FA Cup vs the Arse does not matter who get's brought in he needs to go he's dead weight you think Arse,Utd,Chavs,Citeh,Everton,Pool would tolerate that shower of ****e

Montolivo is also 29 next season so don't think would be what we should be chasing either. And also could struggle to settle.I see what you mean but he's the type of player we need if we had moutinho I don't believe we would be in this mess some players don't settle straight away some do we need some creativity in the middle the mids we have are sideways players I just hope Holtby can be given a chance in the middle though

Another summer of lots of ins and outs is hardly what we need. Full Backs should be addressed and most likely a new centre half/GK as we'll probably see Vertonghen and Lloris leave but outside of that I wouldn't change a whole lot.If Vert and Lloris go Stek and Caulker plus Lovren are perfect replacements but you cannot tell me the Wingers don't need to be addressed they are shocking I believe well get that lad from Dinipro but Lennon and Townsend need to get out absolutely useless the pair of them I'd love a Willian type that can play on both sides to give Lamela and Kono some competition If LVG comes in there will be outgoings and ingoings guaranteed

Read that

Those players have been fantastic footballers a lot of their careers both at club and international level. Hardly comparable to Debuchy. He is not anywhere close to the level of those players so your point about age is mute. For instance I'd take Zabaleta no bother even with his age because he's still quality. Or Cafu when he was in his 30's. Or Zidane and so on. Age isn't always an issue when you're a great player. It's always an issue when you're not!

And as I said he is not 10 times better than Walker. Lahm is 10 times better than Walker.

I agree that obviously left back is an issue. It's been a problem since the final season BAE was playing for us. I think Davide Santon would be a much bigger step up than Olsson and probably wouldn't cost a fortune but haven't been keeping up to date with rumours etc..

I think we have not seen the forward driven Dembele who we signed. He's much more of a forward thinking player than we've seen since a few months after he joined. Eriksen needs to be deployed properly. Sandro needs to stay injury free and Paulinho if given the confidence will become an excellent player. If you've watched him play for Brazil you'd see what the hype was with him. Players come into the Brazil team and do average, it's not just who you play with. Paulinho has creativity running through him and we barely seen a glimpse of that. It would be another Kevin Prince Boateng case if we let him go.

Lamela is yet to make an impact in the team. If we were to sign Konoplyanka we wouldn't need any more signings attacking wise to be honest. There's enough players yet to prove their worth to go sign more unproven or players needing time to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I think if the club appoints Van Gaal, then the likes of Lloris will stay.

I don't know why people seem to assume there will be a queue of clubs looking for Hugo. He has made a number of high profile howlers this year and has looked extremely shaky when having to scramble for high balls. There are a number of Keepers as good as Lloris in hte league and some clearly better. How come Begovic has had a career spanning Portsmouth (!) and years at Stoke when he is clearly one of the best Keepers in the league?

The priority has to be to pass on the poisoned chalice of Europa League football to Utd and slim the squad drastically in order to bring in one or two quality players. As others have posted the centre midfield signings were farcical and smack of a few years ago when we were signing Jenas, Pienaar, Bentley and more to play in the reserves.

A quality midfielder, a left back and a dominant centre back would lift the team immeasurably. With a smaller squad and no trips to the Arctic Circle or the outer reaches of Eastern Europe I think we might actually start to gel and play with some confidence again. Who knows Lamela (remember him?) might even be the quality midfielder we are looking for.

Those players have been fantastic footballers a lot of their careers both at club and international level. Hardly comparable to Debuchy. He is not anywhere close to the level of those players so your point about age is mute. For instance I'd take Zabaleta no bother even with his age because he's still quality. Or Cafu when he was in his 30's. Or Zidane and so on. Age isn't always an issue when you're a great player. It's always an issue when you're not!

And as I said he is not 10 times better than Walker. Lahm is 10 times better than Walker.

I agree that obviously left back is an issue. It's been a problem since the final season BAE was playing for us. I think Davide Santon would be a much bigger step up than Olsson and probably wouldn't cost a fortune but haven't been keeping up to date with rumours etc..

I think we have not seen the forward driven Dembele who we signed. He's much more of a forward thinking player than we've seen since a few months after he joined. Eriksen needs to be deployed properly. Sandro needs to stay injury free and Paulinho if given the confidence will become an excellent player. If you've watched him play for Brazil you'd see what the hype was with him. Players come into the Brazil team and do average, it's not just who you play with. Paulinho has creativity running through him and we barely seen a glimpse of that. It would be another Kevin Prince Boateng case if we let him go.

Lamela is yet to make an impact in the team. If we were to sign Konoplyanka we wouldn't need any more signings attacking wise to be honest. There's enough players yet to prove their worth to go sign more unproven or players needing time to settle.

Ok Debuchy might not be 10 times better but I don't know how you can praise those players soo much but not Debuchy I'm not comparing him to Lahm obviously but have you ever watched him? just because a player doesn't play in the BPL doesn't make them bad Debuchy has been good since around 08 same time as Lahm and Zabaleta really broke out he was one of the best players in Ligue 1 and won a double in France with Rudy Garcias Lille team.
    I will say he had a bad half of the year in 12/13 but I said on a forum he would be fantastic this year and I'm very much right just offers far more with crosses and build up play.

I have a feeling he'll go to PSG anyway since VDW hasn't really lit it up.

That Santon lad aint very good anyway and he's too right footed to play LB Newcastle fans in general don't rate him very much, but tbh I don't really see to many available Fullbacks that would be a LOT better than Rose the only one I can think of is De Sciglio who is two footed and plays LB/RB but he would cost a lot.

I like that Paulinho lad but im pretty skeptical International football is lot different to BPL and most of our players are fantastic internationally for some reason,but you have to take into consideration he has better players with him.

I don't think Sandro will be the same and I rate Capoue much more he has better distribution,better on the ball and better break up player.

I think Lamela will come good too much talent to fail.

The biggest problem of all with this Spurs team is a lack of leaders we had Parker,Gallas last season even if they weren't the best if they were still here they wouldn't be tolerating the trashings we've had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

shaw from southampton is the left back we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

mickman wrote: »
    shaw from southampton is the left back we need.

Exactly! Doubt we'd get him though. Utd will get him almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I don't think Sandro will be the same and I rate Capoue much more he has better distribution,better on the ball and better break up player.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but don't ever speak the Lord's name in vain.

But seriously, Capoue's distribution is terrible. I'm not saying he's a bad player but it wouldn't be his distribution which sets him a part from Sandro anyway.

Sandro is a better holding midfielder and breaker up of the play. Though both players should be kept, if we're to compete with the Top 4 next year, we'll need two good holding midfielders. It's important we keep it tight in the big games against City/Arsenal/Chelsea and the likes.

I think Davide Santon would be a much bigger step up than Olsson and probably wouldn't cost a fortune but haven't been keeping up to date with rumours etc..

I've also agreed with a lot of what you said, as in wholesale changes is not the way forward this Summer. Maybe two or three purchases max.

Though calling for Santon??? He was shocking against us and is a terrible defender in general. He makes Danny Rose look like Paulo Maldini. If Santon hadn't been on the pitch against us we wouldn't have won 4-0.

I'm not a big fan of Walker, but he's OK. If we're are only going to be making three purchases I wouldn't waste one on Right back.

Left back is more of a worry. Shaw would be ideal, but highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

Must admit I haven't seen Santon in a while.

Shaw would never join Spurs. Would be nuts to do so.

Advertisement