Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Domo82 wrote: »
    Would anyone fancy tomkins or ashley williams as a new cb?? Our current ones dont look bothered to be there!

I was a fan of Tompkins last year, thought he could be a serious player, not sure if he is any better than what we have at the moment though, haven't watched him play this season though. Does anyone one remember the cb from the 90's, blonde hair, over the hill, was his name scott? Think he and nethercott were our cb pairing for a while? 91/92 season maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I was a fan of Tompkins last year, thought he could be a serious player, not sure if he is any better than what we have at the moment though, haven't watched him play this season though. Does anyone one remember the cb from the 90's, blonde hair, over the hill, was his name scott? Think he and nethercott were our cb pairing for a while? 91/92 season maybe?

Kevin Scott! Times were tough back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Kevin Scott! Times were tough back then.

Ha blast from the past.

Him and Nethercott wouldn't even be Championship standard now.

In fairness he was only back up, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Ormus wrote: »
    Ha blast from the past.

Him and Nethercott wouldn't even be Championship standard now.

In fairness he was only back up, but still.

Dean Austin, Stuart Nethercott, Kevin Scott and Justin Edinburgh. :D
    The stuff of nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hammar wrote: »
    Dean Austin, Stuart Nethercott, Kevin Scott and Justin Edinburgh. :D
    The stuff of nightmares.

On Danny roses level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

mickman wrote: »
    On Danny roses level

Rose always reminds me of Clive Wilson.

When was the last time we had quality fullbacks on either flank?

... Carr I suppose. And Ziege maybe.. since then, none stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Rose always reminds me of Clive Wilson.

When was the last time we had quality fullbacks on either flank?

... Carr I suppose. And Ziege maybe.. since then, none stand out.

Bale :D

Bale :D

At full back ??? Nothing to write home about. Sure isn't that the position he played when he picked up that awful record of never been on the winning team for 23 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Tottenham are keen on Man Utd striker Danny Welbeck, 23, as Daniel Levy looks for a top-class striker.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

But Spurs are unlikely to be the only team after Welbeck's services after the England striker has hinted he is ready to quit Old Trafford in order to get more playing time.

Full story: Sun (subscription required)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Welbeck? Jesus wept. Talk about a step in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

Good player if he could score goals but that's a pretty important if for a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Good God not Welbeck, I wouldn't mind Hernandez having said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

26 goals in 112 apps.In any mans language that is well below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

26 goals in 112 apps.In any mans language that is well below average.

He bangs them in for Mexico in fairness. Soldado had unreal stats so you can't only go by that.

Your of course right that it's not inspired reading but I always liked the look of him when when I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

ziedth wrote: »
    He bangs them in for Mexico in fairness. Soldado had unreal stats so you can't only go by that.

Your of course right that it's not inspired reading but I always liked the look of him when when I've seen him.
    Sorry was referring to Welbeck.forgot to mention his name.Hernandez is a bit of a gamble.I think Lukaku would be ideal.

Sorry was referring to Welbeck.forgot to mention his name.Hernandez is a bit of a gamble.I think Lukaku would be ideal.

Lukaku, Bony, Benteke or Remy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Been saying it for ages I think remy would be ideal for spurs. However no one is gonna wanna come to us in this mess we have to get our manager/ director of football situation sorted out first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Welbeck and 20million in the same sentence, just doesnt sound right.

8-9million would be more like it. I'd take him then, and use him as a squad player. In no way is he worth close to the 20m been quoted and you wouldnt exactly build your team around him.

I'm assuming he's quoted at £20 million because he's English? Because there's no way in hell he's worth even half that amount.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming he's quoted at £20 million because he's English? Because there's no way in hell he's worth even half that amount.

no but i do like him as a player. I never liked to see him playing when we played united. I think for 8-10 million then he would be a good addition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

#moyesisayid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

mickman wrote: »
    no but i do like him as a player. I never liked to see him playing when we played united. I think for 8-10 million then he would be a good addition

What exactly does wellbeck offer apart from a poor first touch and an even worse goals per game ratio? If he's a major target we are indeed in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Depp wrote: »
    #moyesisayid

please stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

It kills me inside knowing people actually would settle for the likes of Moyes and Welbeck.

I think we need to accept that we have taken a step backwards, and will be in a lower position than we've had for the last few years. We'll sit comfortably around 6th-8th for the next 2 years i'd say, signing a few decent players with a few odd ones.

With the bigger revenue generated from the new stadium, we might be able to once again challenge for top 4. But we'll have to see, as other teams around us have improved (and will improve next year), bar Utd, will almost certainly get back above us.

Negative i know, it's just had to be positive after this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I think we need to accept that we have taken a step backwards, and will be in a lower position than we've had for the last few years. We'll sit comfortably around 6th-8th for the next 2 years i'd say, signing a few decent players with a few odd ones.

With the bigger revenue generated from the new stadium, we might be able to once again challenge for top 4. But we'll have to see, as other teams around us have improved (and will improve next year), bar Utd, will almost certainly get back above us.

Negative i know, it's just had to be positive after this season.

Or everything falls into place and we win the premier league!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Or everything falls into place and we win the premier league!

The first scenario is way way more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

KingdomYid wrote: »
    The first scenario is way way more likely.

Probably but I prefer to be a little more optimistic. I love August, we are all joint top on points, anything is possible even if it is unlikely, very unlikely or unbelievable.

Maybe a top manager will be appointed and get all that talent working together and we will have our best ever season in decades?

Maybe the worst will happen, who knows, no point sitting and waiting for it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement