Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

If we do sign Schneiderlin we will have a raft of central midfielders all competing for 2, sometimes 3 spots.

Schneiderlin, Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Bentaleb, Holtby, Carroll, Veljkovic, and Eriksen can play deep too.

Holtby and Veljkovic offer cover in other positions so they are handy to have around. I would imagine that a couple of that group will be sold anyway, possibly Carroll; Sandro or Capoue; maybe Dembele or Paulinho?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I agree. For the last couple of weeks I've been thinking our pursuit of Schneiderlin is odd.

Poch is yet to work with Paulinho, Dembele and Bentaleb but he's going after MS anyway, he must really rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    If we do sign Schneiderlin we will have a raft of central midfielders all competing for 2, sometimes 3 spots.

Schneiderlin, Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro, Capoue, Bentaleb, Holtby, Carroll, Veljkovic, and Eriksen can play deep too.

Holtby and Veljkovic offer cover in other positions so they are handy to have around. I would imagine that a couple of that group will be sold anyway, possibly Carroll; Sandro or Capoue; maybe Dembele or Paulinho?

It wouldnt be Spurs if we didnt have 5000 midfielders in the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Sky sauces say Schneiderlin handed in a transfer request

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sandro and Capoue have hardly kicked a ball in anger in the last 12 months and Dembele and Paulinho aren't much better off between injuries, Sherwood's bizarre selections and the overall under-performing of the whole team.

Any combination of these 4 in CM could turn out to be one of the most formidable CM partnerships in the EPL yet we might not see any of them in a spurs short again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Would rather Snhneiderlin than any of our other mids bar Eriksen

Sandro and Capoue have hardly kicked a ball in anger in the last 12 months and Dembele and Paulinho aren't much better off between injuries, Sherwood's bizarre selections and the overall under-performing of the whole team.

Any combination of these 4 in CM could turn out to be one of the most formidable CM partnerships in the EPL yet we might not see any of them in a spurs short again.

On the contrare Bentaleb has played in the world cup and has gotten alot of experience last season. This season is now make or break for him. I would actually like to see him a decent part of the setup again and see if he can utilise all that gained knowledge in the last 12 months.

I have hampered on for years that we dont develop enough players of our own. Now that we're giving atleast one young lad a proper go I'd hope we'd follow through. Afterall he did perform decent for his first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    On the contrare Bentaleb has played in the world cup and has gotten alot of experience last season. This season is now make or break for him. I would actually like to see him a decent part of the setup again and see if he can utilise all that gained knowledge in the last 12 months.

I have hampered on for years that we dont develop enough players of our own. Now that we're giving atleast one young lad a proper go I'd hope we'd follow through. Afterall he did perform decent for his first season.

Yeah, he may or may not develop, but we should at least give him a go. He wasn't bad last season and should be better this season.

I think we should sell Paulinho and let Carroll go on loan. If we get Schneiderlin, we'll probably have to ditch one of Dembele or Sandro. Both have potential but neither are reliable. Pity.

We might consider letting Holtby go on loan to Southampton to smooth the transfer of Schneiderlin. I'd like Holtby around this season but we still have too many midfielders.

Ormus wrote: »
    Yeah, he may or may not develop, but we should at least give him a go. He wasn't bad last season and should be better this season.

I think we should sell Paulinho and let Carroll go on loan. If we get Schneiderlin, we'll probably have to ditch one of Dembele or Sandro. Both have potential but neither are reliable. Pity.

We might consider letting Holtby go on loan to Southampton to smooth the transfer of Schneiderlin. I'd like Holtby around this season but we still have too many midfielders.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how various players improve in a settled (touches wood) squad.

In fairness to the players you said we should let go, in the last two seasons, AVB played a very restrictive game while TS was way too loose. So we may not have seen the best of them at all.

Obviously my point is based on consistency over the next two years (not something we've seen for a long time), but Poch was given a five year contract - so I feel consistency is finally on DL's mind too.

But I just have the feeling that, by January, we might all be looking very differently at a few players in our squad.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how various players improve in a settled (touches wood) squad.

In fairness to the players you said we should let go, in the last two seasons, AVB played a very restrictive game while TS was way too loose. So we may not have seen the best of them at all.

Obviously my point is based on consistency over the next two years (not something we've seen for a long time), but Poch was given a five year contract - so I feel consistency is finally on DL's mind too.

But I just have the feeling that, by January, we might all be looking very differently at a few players in our squad.

Yeah I too am looking forward to seeing if Pochy can make some of our players realise their potential in a way that TS and AVB couldn't. I hope I'm wrong on Paulinho, but I've seen nothing yet to suggest he'll be a success. He went missing in too many big games last season. Lacking in heart.

As for Sandro, I'm a big fan, but he's so injury prone. Spurs have too often fallen into the trap of having bloated squads of injury prone players. It has to stop.

Dembele is a little injury prone and a little inconsistent. I'd like to see if he can kick on and really assert his talent, but we need reliability.

Carroll is still not ready to challenge for a first team place. Even though he's had 3 loan spells, he's still played less than 50 senior games. I think another loan spell is needed before we can properly gauge his level.

• Advertisement

Mais Futebol understand Tottenham Hotspur are closing in on the signing of England and Sporting Lisbon centre back Eric Dier. #THFC

Mais Futebol believe the transfer of Eric Dier could become official in the next few hours, at maximum in the coming days. #THFC

Mais Futebol report Eric Dier has already spoke to Tottenham, Newcastle and Everton but has chosen to join Spurs. #THFC

Well I won't lie. I Googled him and read his wiki page. Strange one.

Well I won't lie. I Googled him and read his wiki page. Strange one.

Yeah, one for the future, he would be staying where he is for a season. Would be typical Spurs to buy a UK player that's not homegrown

Never mind that. Everton just paid £28 million pounds sterling for Lukaku. Holy Jebas. 28 million. By Everton.

Never mind that. Everton just paid £28 million pounds sterling for Lukaku. Holy Jebas. 28 million. By Everton.

Saw a post about this earlier. They've just wasted their whole transfer kitty in one go and have not made themselves any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well that's similar to what we paid for Soldado and he scored way ore goals than him last season. Let's see what happens this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Saw a post about this earlier. They've just wasted their whole transfer kitty in one go and have not made themselves any better.

Would not agree with the word "wasted". I think he will be a great signing.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Well that's similar to what we paid for Soldado and he scored way ore goals than him last season. Let's see what happens this season.

Soldado cost £12m. I'm guessing he never met his clauses to trigger the extra £12m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

irishmover wrote: »
    Soldado cost £12m. I'm guessing he never met his clauses to trigger the extra £12m.

I'm sure there are all sorts of clauses in that £28m too though and I'd imagine Everton are paying only a small portion of that as an actual fee. I think it's a lot of money but tbf he is proven in the PL and is still only 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭golfball37

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm sure there are all sorts of clauses in that £28m too though and I'd imagine Everton are paying only a small portion of that as an actual fee. I think it's a lot of money but tbf he is proven in the PL and is still only 21.

Bony got more goals than Lukaku and was playing on a much worse team. I'd prefer if we signed him tbh.

• Advertisement

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Would not agree with the word "wasted". I think he will be a great signing.

Yeah, I suppose wasted is the wrong word, he's a good buy, very Drogbaesque in the box only he has no ball control, cannot hold up the ball which is why Mourinho don't like him. It's utter madness for Mourinho to let him go and keep Torres.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Bony got more goals than Lukaku and was playing on a much worse team. I'd prefer if we signed him tbh.

I've liked the look of Bony for a good while too. It was definitely worthwhile waiting to see if he could make the step up to the Premier League, from the Dutch league (where he banged in 31 goals in 30 league games in his last season).

Only problem is.... we'll have to get rid of Adebayor or Soldado before Bony can come in, which won't be easy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

I've liked the look of Bony for a good while too. It was definitely worthwhile waiting to see if he could make the step up to the Premier League, from the Dutch league (where he banged in 31 goals in 30 league games in his last season).

Only problem is.... we'll have to get rid of Adebayor or Soldado before Bony can come in, which won't be easy at all.

They are going nowhere because of the contracts they are on. All big teams need 4 strikers and Bony or Huntelaar will be our fourth. I am pretty sure this one will come off...we never replaced Defoe an i imagine that is because they have been tracking someone in particular.

II want Bony for no other reason than a LFC mate gloated weeks ago that their direct replacement for Suarez was "two words, Wilfred Bony" :D It's great how they told us we wasted the Bale money on lots of average players yet they've just done the same, not a single player has European experience, none are world class.

Yeah, I suppose wasted is the wrong word, he's a good buy, very Drogbaesque in the box only he has no ball control, cannot hold up the ball which is why Mourinho don't like him. It's utter madness for Mourinho to let him go and keep Torres.

It's not madness. Torres is on 175k a week. No other club in the world would offer him more than 100k a week. So he's not gonna join another club until his contract runs down and he can go on a free.

slegs wrote: »
    They are going nowhere because of the contracts they are on. All big teams need 4 strikers and Bony or Huntelaar will be our fourth. I am pretty sure this one will come off...we never replaced Defoe an i imagine that is because they have been tracking someone in particular.

I hope you're right, but wouldn't be too surprised if we go with the 3 we have until January at least. We'll only be playing one up front so 4 strikers isn't imperative. Arsenal pretty much had only one striker all last season. Real only have 2 strikers at the moment. Even Chelsea and Liverpool only have 3.

ITK
    hertyid: If MS comes then Sandro is gone. For sure.

II want Bony for no other reason than a LFC mate gloated weeks ago that their direct replacement for Suarez was "two words, Wilfred Bony" :D It's great how they told us we wasted the Bale money on lots of average players yet they've just done the same, not a single player has European experience, none are world class.

Looks that way alright but they have bought in 3 or 4 players with EPL experience, who have already performed at EPL level and won't have any problems settling into a new country. That's the difference in what they did with their money compared to us.

Looks that way alright but they have bought in 3 or 4 players with EPL experience, who have already performed at EPL level and won't have any problems settling into a new country. That's the difference in what they did with their money compared to us.

They've done well in padding out their squad but they haven't raised the quality of their first team much.

Markovic is the wild card, he has huge potential, although unlikely to realise it straight away.

• Advertisement

A few tweets

Iago Falqué has confirmed to Italian media he has joined Genoa from Tottenham. #THFC

Reports suggest Tottenham Hotspur have received £4M for the sale of Iago Falqué to Genoa. #THFC

Goal understands Tottenham have agreed a £3.96M transfer fee for Eric Dier and the player has agreed terms on a five year deal. #THFC

GOAL report that Tottenham have agreed a fee with Sporting for Eric Dier and that Jose Fonte is next on the list.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/07/31/4995418/tottenham-agree-4m-deal-for-dier?ICID=HP_BN_1

Advertisement