Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Even the most blinkered of Utd fans know Wellbeck is a championship striker. He reminds me of Chris Armstrong.

I have faith in our new structure and will say we never sign him ( Thank god)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

nbar12 wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck could be the equivalent of Sturridge at Liverpool for us?

This actually might not be the worst shout in the world. I didn't imagine myself saying this a few months ago, but with Eriksen and Lamela, even Holtby, in the hole.... a striker with pace could do real damage.

Welbeck has been treated like a third wheel the whole time he's been at United. Not given a fair crack of the whip because of the egos of Rooney and Van Persie. If Poch could get Welbeck feeling pretty confident, he could do damage!

I'd suggest we take him on loan for a year and agree a water-tight purchase option at the end of the season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm absolutely against Welbeck joining us. He's not good enough, which he has shown at both United and England. One of the worst of a bad bunch of players for England at the World Cup, and even United fans will say he's not strong enough to be a regular starter.

Yeah, maybe Poch could get him scoring a few, but i'd rather not take that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

This actually might not be the worst shout in the world. I didn't imagine myself saying this a few months ago, but with Eriksen and Lamela, even Holtby, in the hole.... a striker with pace could do real damage.

Welbeck has been treated like a third wheel the whole time he's been at United. Not given a fair crack of the whip because of the egos of Rooney and Van Persie. If Poch could get Welbeck feeling pretty confident, he could do damage!

I'd suggest we take him on loan for a year and agree a water-tight purchase option at the end of the season.

You make it sound like inferior players are keeping him out of the Man U team because of their egos.... On one leg Wayne Rooney and Van Persie are better players than Wellbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

nbar12 wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck could be the equivalent of Sturridge at Liverpool for us?

I don't think he would. Sturridge was banging in goals for Chelsea whenever he played and the fact that Torres was getting a nod before him always baffled me. It was even more baffling when they sold him because they badly needed a striker who could score goals. I thought we should have went for him and was raging he went to Liverpool.

Wellbeck on the other hand has probably gotten the amount of game time he deserves at Utd, he's behind Rooney and Van Persie and I think Hernandez too. I'd prefer Hernandez personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

If Fazio signs (which looks imminent), is Kaboul for the chop?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

mushykeogh wrote: »

I doubt he'll walk straight into the team, more of a replacement for Dawson methink
    https://twitter.com/AddictedtoSpurs/status/504200420575952897

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

We are close to getting Fazio.
    Controversial one coming up...

Soldado will be gone!!
    Shame really cos i really want him to do well...
    Bit the way i feel about Torres actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Soldado will be gone!!

i have to agree on soldado, i would love to see him do well, top professional who went through hard times on and off the pitch last year but kept his head down and got on with it, respect

who to replace him with, i hope its not remy, he is not as good a player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mushykeogh wrote: »

I wouldn't say he's for the chop but he won't be first choice if all fit. It looks like the manager wants fazio to partner Jan, so Kaboul and Dier would provide support to those 2, with us selling dawson and the romanian.

Simple ball over the top against QPR in the first half caught Kaboul out, think it was Phillips who should have buried it, if that happens this weekend, sturridge will take the chance.

Soldado will be gone!!

We'll only sell Soldado if we get a striker in, which doesn't look likely at the moment, we need 3 strikers available for the 1 slot, and I reckon it'll be the 3 we have at the minute.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he's for the chop but he won't be first choice if all fit. It looks like the manager wants fazio to partner Jan, so Kaboul and Dier would provide support to those 2, with us selling dawson and the romanian.

Simple ball over the top against QPR in the first half caught Kaboul out, think it was Phillips who should have buried it, if that happens this weekend, sturridge will take the chance.

I'm worried about Fazio's reported lack of pace.

In fairness, Poch got it right with Lovren. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Apparently the Fazio deal will be announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'm worried about Fazio's reported lack of pace.

In fairness, Poch got it right with Lovren. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Same here, always nervous watching slow centre halves, hence Dawson is being sold on, but if he's good enough positionally, he won't need any pace ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

We signed Andy Reid as the big signing and then somehow managed to grab Dawson in the deal. My dad said to me, I reckon it's Dawson who they really wanted.

Turns out he was spot on.

Hope he gets his testimonial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

slegs wrote: »

Actually a bit sad about Dawson, there was no faulting his honesty or commitment over the last 9 years, and there was no doubt he put some sterling performance's over the years, alas, he wasnt good enough and was certainly going backwards over the last 2 seasons and needed replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I have a feeling we will find ourselves saying something along the lines of "Dawson would have stopped that" or "We needed Dawson in there tonight" before the season is over but how and ever... life goes on for both the club and the man, I'm sure he'll do well there. Might even pick him up on the 'ole FF team.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

Dawson gave outstanding service to the club .always gave 100%.looked better when next to King as would any player

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I have a feeling we will find ourselves saying something along the lines of "Dawson would have stopped that" or "We needed Dawson in there tonight" before the season is over but how and ever... life goes on for both the club and the man, I'm sure he'll do well there. Might even pick him up on the 'ole FF team.

Of course, but we won't be talking about to the current dawson, we'll be referring to the one consigned to memories.

Absolute legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm glad we'll remember him as a great servant who was sold at the correct time and not a player who would be blamed for costing us 10 points over the season which would surely have happened if he ran out his contract.

Back at his peak when Jol was in charge he was simply magnificent. So long Daws and thanks for the memories! :)

A lot of gossip flying around the forums recently. Looks like we could be in for a busy weekend transfer-wise...
    Fazio looks like its all but done

Townsend to Southampton may have some legs as part of a swap deal for MS

Soldado might be offski if we can get a decent price for him

2 big prem teams have asked about Paulinho

1) trix:

A bit of opinion at the end but ITK to start

Like I said he's[poch] happy to keep him[townsend], but wouldn't be too bothered if he is sold. Remember poch works with him every day, and he'll know if he has the capacity to basically learn another position or not. 1 goal(and that was a fluke) in 25+ apps last season is hardly a pointer that he could go on to be a good goal scorer.

2) ali z:

Trix is the man spot on everytime.
    Issue with Townsend are many, club happy to keep him but if we can do a deal we want will let him go, thing is he is not great at carrying out instructions, Lennon although never scoring enough is loved by all managers for doing what is asked btw despite his appalling return he is in top 10 premiership goals for us.
    Get you seat belts on loads going on
    3) Breezer:

confirming from something he posted in a previous window

Breezer said: ↑
    When AVB first arrived I past on some info that Parker and Townsend both had difficulty following instructions. I guess Poch also has the same problem with Townsend.

Ideally if we could get our money back on Paulinho it'd be a good transfer window.

Though, if we could also add a decent striker..... thinking of Remy, he can play off the shoulder of the defenders and play LWF if needed.

Looks like Townsend's apparent tactical stupidity is going to cost him. Hopefully his ballooning shots over the bar won't be tolerated by Poch. Part of a swap deal for Schneiderlin would be great.

I'd have no problem hanging on to Soldado... but if an offer too good to be true comes in, then it'd be silly not to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Getting silly money for Paulinho would constitute a good window for me.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Getting any money for Paulinho would constitute a good window for me.

Fixed that for you! :D:p

More ITK gossip. As mentioned earlier, it looks like things are kicking off in terms of transfers.

It's also great to hear all the players are happy under Poch. We all know we have a squad capable of competing for a Top 4 place, so confidence is the only thing that's really been missing. COYS!!

The Goat has heard the following:

Musacchio got too complicated with third parties/agent messing around so it looks like that's been shelved, although you never know.

The Goat was also told Fazio medical might get done today, so maybe an announcement later today/tomorrow. We'll see.

Schneiderlin. The club still believe we can get this done and have even offered three different players although no specific names were offered. The Goat was told if this gets done it'll be very late.

Things at the club are on the up, everyone is very happy under Pochettino, the players love him and love working under him, there's a genuine feeling amongst the players that things can be achieved in the next year or two and everyone wants to be part of that. The club are trying to offload three or four, Sandro, Townsend, Paulinho and Lennon can go for reasonable money if they can be convinced they won't be getting much game time.

The Goat has also been told we're already working toward January (Rodriguez and Moreno) and also that Baldini has been travelling around Europe the last few weeks to both find buyers and younger talent from Italy and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Heres some ITK news.

Fazio might get done today or thursday, maybe friday but hopefully before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i always wonder what people make of these ITK

when i lived in london the blogs and sites were full of them and most lads just frowned upon them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The goat has been around for ages and is a complete WUM. Real ITK is very rare, such as when that lad met Didier Zokora and Damien Comolli at a World Cup game and got photos of him holding a Spurs flag.

Advertisement