Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's in his prime with an unbelievable team behind him and creating chances for him. He'd not be the player he is now if he was at Spurs (as much as it saddens me to say).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

There's rumours suggesting Real Madrid are planning a £20m purchase of Lloris. I don't think any of us would begrudge him a move, as much as we'd hate to see him leave. Hopefully DL can squeeze a bit more out of RM, if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There's rumors about De Gea as well. Vorm is a good replacement either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He'd be crazy not to leave to be honest. A keeper of his caliber should be playing CL football. Spurs know this as well, which is why we bought Vorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kiith wrote: »
    He'd be crazy not to leave to be honest. A keeper of his caliber should be playing CL football. Spurs know this as well, which is why we bought Vorm.

trading down constantly we are

replaced vdv with eriksen
    bale with paulinho :-)
    dawson with fazio
    ekotto with davies
    berbatov with adebayour
    modric with dembele

the list goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    There's rumors about De Gea as well. Vorm is a good replacement either way.

best of luck to him, the one player who deserves his move, one of the top keepers in world football and is wasted at WHL

i stood on the terraces in 1984 and watch Graham R win the UEFA CUP, supported the club through thick and thin but this is the first year I have ever accepted defeat and realized that we will never again dine with the big boys

sad but true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

i stood on the terraces in 1984 and watch Graham R win the UEFA CUP, supported the club through thick and thin but this is the first year I have ever accepted defeat and realized that we will never again dine with the big boys

sad but true

I find the bit highlighted hard to believe. Did you really not feel like that at all from about 1996 through to 2005? Spurs were much further behind all of the top teams then than they are now.

Football has changed a lot in recent years, particularly with the rich owners of Chelsea & Man City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »

dawson with fazio
    ekotto with davies
    berbatov with adebayour
    modric with dembele

the list goes on

I'd prefer Eriksen to VdV. Eriksen is young enough to become the complete player VdV never managed to be.
    How was Paulinho a replacement for Bale? Very different players in every way. He was a much higher profile signing anyway, albeit an awful player.
    Fazio is useless but Dawson, as much as I love him, had become useless. We can talk about him being a leader but a leader has to be able to lead by example.
    I'd take Davies over Benny any day.
    Berbatov left years before Adebayor arrived!
    It looks like Dembele will never become a complete player, although he seems close sometimes. He cost about the same as Modric though.

Ormus wrote: »
    I'd prefer Eriksen to VdV. Eriksen is young enough to become the complete player VdV never managed to be.
    How was Paulinho a replacement for Bale? Very different players in every way. He was a much higher profile signing anyway, albeit an awful player.
    Fazio is useless but Dawson, as much as I love him, had become useless. We can talk about him being a leader but a leader has to be able to lead by example.
    I'd take Davies over Benny any day.
    Berbatov left years before Adebayor arrived!
    It looks like Dembele will never become a complete player, although he seems close sometimes. He cost about the same as Modric though.

Vdv was a match winner and stepped up in the big games, eriksen is the opposite

Davies has been awful , benny was often very good

I'd still take dawson over fazio

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

On the flip side, due to vdv's positioning we often had a massive, costly, gap in midfield.

Benny was often chaotic and often a liabity too

I'll say nothing about Dawson, I know I can't be objective, he's a legend in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Vdv had some lovely touches but went missing every game after 60 mins, fat fooker

Martin567 wrote: »
    I find the bit highlighted hard to believe. Did you really not feel like that at all from about 1996 through to 2005? Spurs were much further behind all of the top teams then than they are now.

Football has changed a lot in recent years, particularly with the rich owners of Chelsea & Man City.

They say one gets wiser with age, yes they were barren years but there was a flicker of hope in me, now it's gone I'm afraid

We had a super team in 87 and went close to a treble pushing a good Everton side very close for a long time in the league

Again a good side under arry but never kicked on, I am beginning to accept that that may always be the case

I used to sit beside a elderly man in the east stand for the 05-06 season , he used to say to me " son I love this club more than anything but the last 20 years they have brought me nothing but heartbreak,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

VdV was poor in our Champions League games. He was good in games against teams who gave him space, but hadn't the physicality or stamina to survive in the Premiership. He was very stylish though, and he gave us a lift when he arrived.

Eriksen is just a kid. He played great for at the end of last season and was the reason we won at Old Trafford.

Benny was a calamity. Davies is just gone 21. Far better footballer and he will show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

VdV was poor in our Champions League games. He was good in games against teams who gave him space, but hadn't the physicality or stamina to survive in the Premiership. He was very stylish though, and he gave us a lift when he arrived.

Eriksen is just a kid. He played great for at the end of last season and was the reason we won at Old Trafford.

Benny was a calamity. Davies is just gone 21. Far better footballer and he will show it.

I loved vdv. Linked up well with crouch and had abit of passion and fight. Celebrated with the crowd and got you off your seat. Who does that now

I hope Eriksen kicks on, he's shown glimpses but not regular enough and again, like dembele and Paulinho and the majority of them, shows no passion or fight.

Fazio looked decent enough last night albeit very poor opposition. He seems strong, good on the ball and positionally decent. Very slow though.

dawson with fazio
    ekotto with davies
    berbatov with adebayour
    modric with dembele

the list goes on
    Again a good side under arry but never kicked on, I am beginning to accept that that may always be the case

The wage bill was significantly increased when Harry was in charge, he got the board's backing and then failed to deliver Champions League for a second year as he prostituted himself for the England job.

Since then we have had to reduce our net spend on players in order to handle the inflated wage bill from the Harry years. As a result the quality of player has diminished.

I'm not silly enough to entirely blame Harry, I'm just simply explaining why our net spend has diminished over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I dunno what CL matches you were watching?
    He was our best player at home to Twente & Bremen, excellent at home to Inter and away to AC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Siggy just scored a unreal 30yard into the top corner! We should have kept him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Were are just the club who keeps on giving expect Paulinho to become a world beater and Soldado to score a hat-trick 1st game when they both leave in January/Next summer.

Were are just the club who keeps on giving expect Paulinho to become a world beater and Soldado to score a hat-trick 1st game when they both leave in January/Next summer.

most likely you are correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

This from Alan Curbishley,

“[Mauricio] Pochettino’s trying to implement a pressing style of play that he had at Southampton but it looks like he hasn’t got the players who will do that at Spurs,” he told Sky Sports.

“Pochettino has come in for criticism but at some stage the players have to look at themselves. They’ve already seen off two managers recently in [Andre Villas-Boas] and Tim Sherwood, who questioned the character and commitment of some of those players – and now a lot of Spurs fans are starting to say the same thing.

“The manager has gone in and had to accept the players that were there but at some point there has to be a connection between who he wants and the sporting director.”

When asked if Spurs could even go down this season, he added: “You’re never too good to go down as we’ve seen before and with some of the players they have there if they are dragged into a relegation battle I don’t know if they would have enough fight to get out of it.”

This from Alan Curbishley,

“[Mauricio] Pochettino’s trying to implement a pressing style of play that he had at Southampton but it looks like he hasn’t got the players who will do that at Spurs,” he told Sky Sports.

“Pochettino has come in for criticism but at some stage the players have to look at themselves. They’ve already seen off two managers recently in [Andre Villas-Boas] and Tim Sherwood, who questioned the character and commitment of some of those players – and now a lot of Spurs fans are starting to say the same thing.

“The manager has gone in and had to accept the players that were there but at some point there has to be a connection between who he wants and the sporting director.”

When asked if Spurs could even go down this season, he added: “You’re never too good to go down as we’ve seen before and with some of the players they have there if they are dragged into a relegation battle I don’t know if they would have enough fight to get out of it.”

sky are for ever rolling out these half wits and giving them an opinion, who gives a toss what alan curbishley thinks,
    all that matters is we get our house in order and leave curbs to is opinions

but one thing is for sure a lot of these over paid prima donas need to pull their fingers out and earn their money or fcuk off

The wage bill was significantly increased when Harry was in charge, he got the board's backing and then failed to deliver Champions League for a second year as he prostituted himself for the England job.

Since then we have had to reduce our net spend on players in order to handle the inflated wage bill from the Harry years. As a result the quality of player has diminished.

I'm not silly enough to entirely blame Harry, I'm just simply explaining why our net spend has diminished over the past few years.

Why didn't we use the Bale money to cover that wage bill rather than purchase a load of donkeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Why didn't we use the Bale money to cover that wage bill rather than purchase a load of donkeys?

A load of donkeys in the summer of 2013 we were all excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

irishmover wrote: »

Yes hindsight is wonderful. We all thought they were great signings at the time. Liverpool and Arsenal fans were having a canary about the jump we got on them at the time

Go down?? We're only four points of 4th. We're doing great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Go down?? We're only four points of 4th. We're doing great!

Ah come on now man, I get that all the negativity does nobody any good but saying we are doing great is sticking your head in the sand. Any Spurs fan who has watched any game this season will tell you we are far from doing great, extreme positivity pisses me off as much as extreme negativity to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

irishmover wrote: »

True enough we were all excited, but the excitement was because we were spending the money. In reality none of us knew anything about most of those signings and put our complete trust in Baldini. Any player can look good on youtube.

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Ah come on now man, I get that all the negativity does nobody any good but saying we are doing great is sticking your head in the sand. Any Spurs fan who has watched any game this season will tell you we are far from doing great, extreme positivity pisses me off as much as extreme negativity to be honest.

Ah here now, it was very clearly a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Advertisement