Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

See Fabiano is gone back to Brazil for 7/8 millon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8wqh

A decent transfer. Former AC Milan and Real Madrid superstar!!

Huntelaar :P

I'm sure ye've all heard the numerous rumours linking us to the young striker Conor Wickham for €15m. Apparently Man United and Arsenal were after him as well so he obviously has potential. Hopefullly he'll develop into a world class striker sooner rather than later, provided we do get our hands on him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We need an already proven striker now, rather then one who may be good in a few years. I'm all for building the team from youngsters, and he is an excellent prospect, but this better not be the only striker we bring in if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Kiith wrote: »
    We need an already proven striker now, rather then one who may be good in a few years. I'm all for building the team from youngsters, and he is an excellent prospect, but this better not be the only striker we bring in if it does happen.

Wickham would be a fantastic addition if he was coming in as 4th choice striker, leaving us with the following options:
    1. New top striker (Drogba/Benzema/whoever)
    2. Crouch
    3. JD/Pav
    4. Wickham

Add VDV to that mix and we would have good options to cope with a long season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

The first realistic signings that are like to see are Drogba to mentor Shane Long. Think the latter has the ability and drive to make it in the premier league (maybe even with Reading) and looks the type that would soak up what his elders would teach him. We need some physicality up front. We probably need another centre back but maybe Younes could end up there next year - especially with Walker giving cover at RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

how realistic are the drogba rumours??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3542538/Harry-Redknapp-Ill-spend-big-this-summer.html

HARRY REDKNAPP is ready to break the bank this summer - even if Tottenham fail in their Champions League bid.
    The Spurs boss is confident of landing his targets and hinted at moves for Didier Drogba and Scott Parker.

Tottenham can pile the pressure on Manchester City by beating West Brom at White Hart Lane today and going fourth - but Redknapp will still be busy when the window opens whether or not they stay there.

hulk_180x250_1297090a.jpg HULK ... £25m price-tag

He said: "There shouldn't be two transfer scenarios.

"People say, 'If we get in the Champions League, we'll buy some great players' - but if you don't buy some great players you won't get in the Champions League. That is how it works.
    "And people would come here anyway. If you pay them the wages, they'll come.
    "We all kid ourselves. Players say 'I've wanted to play for Tottenham since I was two? I had pictures of Jimmy Greaves on my wall'.
    "It's a load of bull**** isn't it? Here's £80,000 a week. Lovely jubbly!
    "You pay the wages and they'll come. If you don't they will go somewhere where they'll get it. That's football."

Redknapp admitted there would be a stampede for Parker, the Football Writers' Player of the Year, if West Ham got relegated.
    He added: "If they don't stay up, they've got a problem keeping the Footballer of the Year. And it was for a team near the bottom - it's like the old joke 'Shows how c**p the other 10 must be!'

"But he's a real proper pro, a proper good bloke and not a minute's problem. He just gets on with it.
    "I like him a lot as a lad. He played well for England and I'm pleased to see an English boy win it."

Redknapp tried to sign Parker, 30, at the start of the season. But he added: "We liked Scott but never got close really as £15million was a lot of money for his age.
    "If they go down, is he going to play in the Championship next year? I wouldn't have thought so but it isn't going to be £15m is it? He wants to play for England and it'll be hard."
    SunSport revealed yesterday that Drogba, 33, is set for crunch talks at Chelsea about his future - and Redknapp would welcome the hitman.
    He said: "Drogba is still a fantastic player. It's up to Chelsea what they do but he's been a great player for them. He's a handful for any defence. a fantastic centre-forward with power and strength - he's got everything.
    "He scores goals but plays for Chelsea. Until they decide otherwise you can't speculate about his future, but he's a good player."
    Redknapp reckons victory today - and overtaking City until at least Monday - will be a massive psychological boost for his side.
    He said: "For sure. If we can win it puts us above them then they have to go to Blackburn."

Interesting comments from HR .... If you read between the lines i think its pretty obvious that he's say wages are the reason we havn't signed top class quality players in recent windows.

I read a report/link somepalce else recently about wages and spurs are well down the list behind our PL rivals when it comes to wages and miles behind the european heavy weights on the continent.

.. from the same link
    Harry’s shopping list

DIEGO MILITO (Inter) £20m

Argentina ace Milito looks set to quit Italy this summer.

The striker, 31, scored twice in last year's Champions League final and is being tracked by Europe's top clubs.

SCOTT PARKER (West Ham) £15m

Just voted player of the year by the football writers, so bound to be in demand if West Ham go down.

Now 30, he would add steel and style to Spurs' midfield.

DIDIER DROGBA (Chelsea) £12m

May be looking for an escape route after the £50m arrival of Fernando Torres.

Drogba, 33, has hit 96 goals in 197 Blues games and would give Spurs the firepower they crave.

GARY CAHILL (Bolton) £17m

Tottenham need to strengthen in central defence and the England star, 25, would be the perfect candidate.

But, after another fine season, would Bolton sell him?

BRYAN CARRASCO (Audax Italiano) £5m

The right-back, 20, has been earning rave reviews for his displays in Chile.

And with Alan Hutton and Vedran Corluka struggling this season, he could be the answer.

HULK (Porto) £25m

Brazil international Hulk, 24, has been scoring goals for fun in Portugal.

He has notched 52 times in 123 games for Porto and may pip pal Falcao to a Spurs switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

We should go for Drogba and Sturridge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think Sturridge will be back at Stamford Bridge competing for a place. Only since he's gone to Bolton can you see what a good player he is.

Has he had an England senior call up yet? Because he'll get one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I would like to see Cahill and Hulk , and a decent keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Next year I'd love to see us line up in the reverse Christmas tree formation that Chelsea used last year

Sandro
    Thudd----modric---
    Lennon/VDV
    Bale/VDV
    Striker

Next year I'd love to see us line up in the reverse Christmas tree formation that Chelsea used last year

Sandro
    Thudd----modric---
    Lennon/VDV
    Bale/VDV
    Striker
    Was thinking along them lines myself. I think it's time we stop accomodating VDV, he's a very good player but in the big games we're far too open. I don't think he'd settle for a place on the bench though, but it wouldn't bother me too much if we let him go, we get a few million for him anyways. Hopefully we can get in another top CB to partner Daws, a top keeper to replace Gomes, and of course, our no.1 priorty, a world-class striker. And I don't think Forlan - like a lot of papers are suggesting - is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

SHAY GIVEN

Also, I read somewhere that Marin (destroyed Charlie in the CL group game in Bremen) is on the way to Spurs this summer. It said it was reported by the German newspapers, which apparently are far more reliable than their British counterparts.

THFC wrote: »
    Also, I read somewhere that Marin (destroyed Charlie in the CL group game in Bremen) is on the way to Spurs this summer. It said it was reported by the German newspapers, which apparently are far more reliable than their British counterparts.

I saw that I'd love to get him looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah he was excellent against us, but how would we fit him and Bale in?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

SuprSi wrote: »

Bale to left back?

I know that's where Harry sees him alright. He'd be brilliant offensively but I don't know about defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't think bale will be with us next season

Marin looks a decent player and is attracting a lot of interest from the bigger european teams but IMO we dont need him (yet)

Spurs been Spurs we'll probably go out and buy 2-3 midfielders and no strikers.

We need a keeper badly.

Defense isnt too bad if they all stay fit and we can get the same 4 players on the pitch for more then a couple of games at a time.

Walker and O'Hara to come back as well.

I'd say O'hara will be let go and maybe Jenas too if we do bring in other midfielders.

Hopefully Harry can find away of playing Sandro, Hudds and Modric in the same team.

Mactard wrote: »
    I don't think bale will be with us next season

I disagree. One more season, that's what we've got with our top players. We make it to the CL, they stay, we don't they're gone. Bale included.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

I disagree. One more season, that's what we've got with our top players. We make it to the CL, they stay, we don't they're gone. Bale included.

Ya, I think Harry has said, one more season and we'll give it the best lash we can. If we don't get CL I can see Harry leaving for the England job and some of the big names following him out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

I think we need a bit of a clear out, get rid of gomes, corluka, bassong, o' hara, wilson, jenas, pav and krancjar. that should raise sufficient funds.

We need to strengthen mainly keeper, right back and striker.

Would love to see given (but cant see city selling to us), think baines is a quality full back and would be excellent for us. A striker like benzema/fabiano, someone who will bag 20 a season. What ever happened to podolski? when on form he was lethal, i think he would do well at spurs. also calvani (uruguay) could be worth signing. and if we could get someone of similar quality parker (but younger or parker himself cheaply if WH go down) in the midfield, we could have the makings of a very good team.

Tbh, I don't think Baines would be worth the £25m required to sign, although I would love to have him. I don't think Podolski really performs at club level, he never really did anything of note at Bayern anyhow. Cavani would be an excellent signing, not sure would we be able to get him though, apparently City have made him a priority buy in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Our 3 priorities for me are a keeper, cente half and centre forward, get 3 quality players in those areas and i'd be delighted. We also need to offload the likes of King and woodgate if possible to soften the wage bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Surely, Corluka will slip behind Walker and Hutton next year. At least they dont mind running. I think Kaboul with Gallas and Dawson should form the centre backs - with added bonuses if Ledley or Woodgate somehow find fitness. BAE should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Cover may be required.

Midfield is ok, based around Sandro, Modric, Huddlestone, (hopefully WIlson will recover, but offers should be accepted for the others O'Hara, Jenas etc. Pienaar, Bale, VDV, Lennon are still strong wide/attackers.

We need to change up front. Defoe the strongest in the hope that he finds form. He can cause trouble for the best defences and can score hatfuls when on form. Otherwise we need to change it up. Realistically, I still would like to see Drogba bought and mentor Shane Long. Ideally, we could offload Pav, Robbie and maybe Crouch - even though he would be a game sub to have.

And a keeper. We need a keeper.

In summary, a new strikeforce and a new keeper are the two main priorities. If we got that during the summer, it would be a successful transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Kind of echoing what has already been said but I think we need:

1. A new keeper
    2. Cover at left back
    3. Walker return from loan at RB
    4. Midfield is ok, don't need Parker we have Sandro
    5. A World class, guaranteed 20 goal striker. Also another striker to make 4 in the squad altogether.

I would sell Gomes, Jenas, O hara, Keane, Bentley, Dos Santos and Pav but would keep Crouch and Defoe as bench options.

• Advertisement

Have to say I think Charlie is our best right back still defensively he's far better than Walker or Hutton and he also has a good relationship with Lennon that gets the best out of him.

Advertisement