Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mata is gone to Chelsea, so hopefully they'll stop looking for Modric. Probably not though.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14600979.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Don't think so. Mata is more of a winger and they still need a CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

Kiith wrote: »
    Mata is gone to Chelsea, so hopefully they'll stop looking for Modric. Probably not though.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14600979.stm

Harry on talksport earlier said that we were very close to signing Mata ourselves and he thinks that this will end Chelsea`s pursuit of Modric.
    http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1008/95/exclusive-redknapp-chelsea-deal-mata-ends-modric-move

SSN though rekon that Chelsea are still trying to sign him
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11668_7117022,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

SSN are getting as bad as the Daily mail.

The real story is the Mata deal yet they keep plugging the Modric story - 'Sky sports sources say chelsea are still interested in Modric' and thats it ... nothing new to add, no direct quote from anyone, not even some geek on his twitter account to back it up. Loada me b0llix!

Of course he's out of the Man U game so that gives them another reason to mention Luka and chelsea in the same sentence until kick off tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SSN are getting as bad as the Daily mail.

The real story is the Mata deal yet they keep plugging the Modric story - 'Sky sports sources say chelsea are still interested in Modric' and thats it ... nothing new to add, no direct quote from anyone, not even some geek on his twitter account to back it up. Loada me b0llix!

Of course he's out of the Man U game so that gives them another reason to mention Luka and chelsea in the same sentence until kick off tomorrow night.
    The annoying thing is it still seems as if they want the deal to happen as more then Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

The Sun say Modric is gone on strike and refusing to play. Time to cash in and try and get some other players in while we still can.

We had a choice here, keep modric and show you mean business by actually gettin top quality players in alongside him, or get rid. This is turning into another Berbatov type farce.

I'd not believe anything from any of those rags tbh (The Sun, Daily Mirror etc...). Unless it's on Sky or BBC with a direct quote, i don't generally believe it.

So ****ing sick of the who saga though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

mushykeogh wrote: »
    The Sun say Modric is gone on strike and refusing to play. Time to cash in and try and get some other players in while we still can.

We had a choice here, keep modric and show you mean business by actually gettin top quality players in alongside him, or get rid. This is turning into another Berbatov type farce.

If this is true, I say let him rot and sulk and train with the kids until he grows up and earns his bloody wages. If we sell now,we are giving the wrong message and Levy will look like an idiot. I would rather have him sit in the stands than sell him to the Chavs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I’d find it hard to believe that Modric has gone on strike, the way the Spurs staff talk about him he doesn’t seem that way inclined.

It's the Sun talking bull**** again. Their 'sources' are total **** 90% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Escaped alligator eats modric's hand!!!

was that what the sun's article said? just a guess....I didn't bother reading it but I doubt i'm far off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 coola

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I’d find it hard to believe that Modric has gone on strike, the way the Spurs staff talk about him he doesn’t seem that way inclined.

harry said yesterday that someone has turned his head and he is not in the right head space to play. this is the same as refusing to play, berbatov pulled this rubbish too before he left. its pathetic

why does this always happen to spurs. nasri is on the verge of leaving arsenal and he was still their best player on saturday, our players seem to have no respect for the club

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I would be delighted if Levy showed the balls to take a stand against this carry on but sadly Spurs are a PLC and money always talks first before football.

Modric, his agent and Chelsea are gambling that Levy will buckle just like the final day Berbatov/Utd incident in 2008. We'll get left with 30m+ in the bank and no replacement(s). Great for the bank balance bad for the team balance.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Harry was talking on talksport last night. Too frank and a little self-pitying as usual, but 2 interesting things.
    He said that Modric's head wasn't right, but the Chairman was determined not to sell, and would sit down with Luka "in a month or so". In other words, sit down, shut up, you're staying, but we' ll improve your terms.
    This is the right approach. We should include a sell-on clause in any new contract, for him, Bale, or any other of our "top, top" players. Put 45m on Modric, and then if anyone wants him, they have to come in with a real bid, not behave like a contestant on "Bargain Hunt" buying tat at a car boot sale.
    Also, if we land Diarra, Adebayor and a CB, we show we mean business.
    It's up to the rest of the squad to step up and get at least 4 points from our first 2 matches. That would put down a marker. United are vulnerable, and Citeh are bedding in players. We played citeh off the pitch at home last season, and can do so again.
    I think Kaboul and Defoe are key to the season. They both need to step up and be leaders. Kaboul can replace Ledley, and partner him when fit, if he does his stuff. defoe needs to start like 2 years ago, and seems in the mood. Come on Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I would be delighted if Levy showed the balls to take a stand against this carry on but sadly Spurs are a PLC and money always talks first before football.

Modric, his agent and Chelsea are gambling that Levy will buckle just like the final day Berbatov/Utd incident in 2008. We'll get left with 30m+ in the bank and no replacement(s). Great for the bank balance bad for the team balance.

Surely thay wont happen again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Hatch99 wrote: »

I can see it happening again. Its a little bit different than 2008 in that we have a replacement for Modric in Krancjar whereas before both Keane & then Berbatov were sold leaving us with only Bent.
    At the moment Levy is talking the talk but lets see what happens on the 31st when Chelsea put 30m on the table. I can guarentee you Levy will snatch up the money and run to the bank.
    In the meantime we seem to be after quite a few players .As HR said in his talksport interview , we had a firm bid in place for Mata and Levy was confident we had him only to see him going to Chelsea in the end. Adebayor, cover at centre back and a decent midfielder and we will have a good season.

"No one deserves to judge him if he decides to go because he has given three fantastic years to the club"

Shut it Kranjcar! We know you want him to leave :P

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Hatch99 wrote:

I wouldnt bet against it.

I can see it happening again. Its a little bit different than 2008 in that we have a replacement for Modric in Krancjar whereas before both Keane & then Berbatov were sold leaving us with only Bent.

With respect to Niko, I wouldnt put him in the same class as Modric.

Its a little bit different than 2008 in that we have a replacement for Modric in Krancjar .

Krancjar is his replacement , are you for real ?
    Are you saying he is as good as or can be as good as Modric ?
    Are you saying he is good enough to control games in the same fashion as Modric does ?

If you are saying any of the above, I must be watching a different player
    than you mate.

If im honest with myself, I probably wouldn't either, but Id like to think Levy has learned his lesson, although I do appreciate the argument that he only sees the £££ :mad:

• Advertisement

With respect to Niko, I wouldnt put him in the same class as Modric.

True he is not in the same class but if he left it would not leave HR with as many headaches as when Berba was sold on the last day. Krancjar does not have the ability to dribble past players like Modric but he is far more of a gola threat than Modric. He has an excellent long range shot ( something i hope to see tonight v De Gea) and gets into more attacking positions than Modric. His only problem is he nver really had a long run in the team. If Modric goes i would love to see what he can do, (hopefully starting tonight)

An interesting stat about Modric:
    Since moving to White Hart Lane ahead of the 2008/09 season, Modric has made a total of 91 appearances in the league for Spurs. However, despite his undoubted talent and ability to create from the centre of the pitch, Tottenham have actually performed better without him, registering a 52% win percentage when he hasn’t featured compared to a 43% figure when the star has appeared.
    Spurs’ points-per-game average also rises in the absence of the schemer (1.74 per game without Modric compared to 1.57 with the player) while even the north Londoners’ potency in front of goal improved without the Croat. When he has featured, Spurs have netted an average of 1.40 goals per game compared to the superior figure of 1.74 when he hasn’t appeared at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Since moving to White Hart Lane ahead of the 2008/09 season, Modric has made a total of 91 appearances in the league for Spurs. However, despite his undoubted talent and ability to create from the centre of the pitch, Tottenham have actually performed better without him, registering a 52% win percentage when he hasn’t featured compared to a 43% figure when the star has appeared.
    Spurs’ points-per-game average also rises in the absence of the schemer (1.74 per game without Modric compared to 1.57 with the player) while even the north Londoners’ potency in front of goal improved without the Croat. When he has featured, Spurs have netted an average of 1.40 goals per game compared to the superior figure of 1.74 when he hasn’t appeared at all.
    During the last three of seasons when our fixtures were fairly conjested Modric along with other key players tended to be rested during the easier/less important games. This would skew that statistic somewhat.

Lemag wrote: »
    During the last three of seasons when our fixtures were fairly conjested Modric along with other key players tended to be rested during the easier/less important games. This would skew that statistic somewhat.

I don't remember him being rested that often. He was injured a fair amount hence he only played 91 games in 3 seasons. I don't think that would skew the stat that much. Anyway the point being although we all agree he is a fabulous player and great to watch , statistically we got more points when he was not in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

:D:D:D
    What.
    Rubbish Player
    Take the 30million and run
    Always said he was over rated!

As a great man once said:
    "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true".

:D:D:D
    What.
    Rubbish Player
    Take the 30million and run
    Always said he was over rated!

Facts, schmacts, you can prove anything with facts. pfft

If the facts were concerned with assists or goals scored you could argue that he is not in the team to do either so the stats would be misleading. Also as he is not a classic defensive midfielder then his stat on tackles made would also be down when compared to other DMs.
    But you cannot deny that it seems we have gained more points over the last 3 seasons when he was not in our team. Take what you want from it but it adds to the argument that little Luka flatters to deceive.

Any more word on who the 'special player' was from a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Anyway the point being although we all agree he is a fabulous player and great to watch , statistically we got more points when he was not in the team.
    Meh! 73.6% of all statistics are made up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Maybe this is plan all along, bank the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I've said all along that HR and Levy are fueling the media frenzy to drive up the price of the player. BBC correspondent reckons as soon as Chelsea have a bid accepted, Man Utd will hijack the deal....

Can believe we haven't signed anyone yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

I wish this farce of a transfer saga would just end. Let us get on with sorting our squad out and concentrate on getting our season off to a flier against them UTD mugs!!

Advertisement