Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Dos Santos deal fell through because Tottenham were believed to be holding out for 10 million. It’s a ridiculous figure, I feel sorry for the kid.

In that case he should at least be making the subs bench and vying for Lennon’s position.

Crazy figure indeed for a guy who isnt playing first team, should have just taken a hit and offloaded him if he isnt part of our plans. Cant imagine he will add to his value in the next few months. As mickman says hopefully he can get some game time somewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Disappointed with the window overall. Good thing that we shipped some deadweight, but we need to bring in 1 or 2 more as well. Cahill would have been a good buy.

I bet you €50 Crouch scores against us when we play Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Overall I have to admit to being disappointed with this window. Yes the players we got in are good and with the exception of Friedel (I don't think he's better than Gomes, just more consistent) are upgrades on what we had.

What really bugs me is Cahill. We needed a strong CB. If Cahill has another good season, one of the other big clubs will come in offering higher wages and he'll go there. We had one chance to get him, and that's gone. Really disappointed with that one.

I understand the argument of us having a higher turnover due to players like Bentley/Gio/Jenas/etc still being paid but the bottom line is that everyone of the other teams challenging for the top 4 has strengthened. Even Arsenal at the last minute have done so, with potentially excellent signings in Arteta and Benayoun. Can anyone on here say that we've strengthened more than anyone other than Arsenal? Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted we got rid of the players who never feature (for the most part) but we have not done enough to make the team capable of getting a CL place again. I just can't see us challenging for fourth this season, and that really disappoints me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I see Fulham captured the signature of Bryan Ruiz from FC Twente, don’t know an awful lot about him. From the footage I have seen, he may well be worth the gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Dos Santos deal fell through because Tottenham were believed to be holding out for 10 million. It’s a ridiculous figure, I feel sorry for the kid.

In that case he should at least be making the subs bench and vying for Lennon’s position.

I think the problem with any transfer of Dos Santos is that when we bought him Barcelona put a clause in that they get a percentage of any sell on fee. I can`t remember the exact amounts, but I do remember that it is a high percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I think the problem with any transfer of Dos Santos is that when we bought him Barcelona put a clause in that they get a percentage of any sell on fee. I can`t remember the exact amounts, but I do remember that it is a high percentage.
    IIRC, it was 25% if he was sold on within the first two years. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 therightstuff

Some of the people here are on drugs. They must be. Top four placing? Even top six? We are at the bottom already and have shipped 8 goals. We have no centre halves. None, almost three years after Redknapp was appointed! How long does it take to accept the fact that Dawson is not good enough? He was not good enough when he was at Forest. King is good enough but cannot play. The others are not worth mentioning.

We have no strikers. Defoe and Pavluchenko are deficient in the most important ability a centre forward must possess- the ability to score. Regularly. Not hat-tricks against no-hopers. But a goal every other game. More than 20 in a season. Defoe was previously sold by us because he is inconsistent. Nothing has changed. At least Crouch was an option that could be put on to pressure defenders late in the game. He was definitely worth keeping if there was an interest in the club in progressing in the Europa League. It would appear that there isn't.

Our main man in midfield won't play for us. At least the Chairman told him a thing or two. How dare he consider leaving for a club with an attack and a defence and a Champions League spot? Levy worries me almost as much as Redknapp. Can you imagine Glazer calling in Rooney to give him a ticking off when he wanted out of Utd last year?

So to sum-up. No central defence, no centre forwards, no central midfielder and no hope. After thirty seven years supporting this soap opera of a club I have just about had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Some of the people here are on drugs. They must be. Top four placing? Even top six? We are at the bottom already and have shipped 8 goals. We have no centre halves. None, almost three years after Redknapp was appointed! How long does it take to accept the fact that Dawson is not good enough? He was not good enough when he was at Forest. King is good enough but cannot play. The others are not worth mentioning.

We have no strikers. Defoe and Pavluchenko are deficient in the most important ability a centre forward must possess- the ability to score. Regularly. Not hat-tricks against no-hopers. But a goal every other game. More than 20 in a season. Defoe was previously sold by us because he is inconsistent. Nothing has changed. At least Crouch was an option that could be put on to pressure defenders late in the game. He was definitely worth keeping if there was an interest in the club in progressing in the Europa League. It would appear that there isn't.

Our main man in midfield won't play for us. At least the Chairman told him a thing or two. How dare he consider leaving for a club with an attack and a defence and a Champions League spot? Levy worries me almost as much as Redknapp. Can you imagine Glazer calling in Rooney to give him a ticking off when he wanted out of Utd last year?

So to sum-up. No central defence, no centre forwards, no central midfielder and no hope. After thirty seven years supporting this soap opera of a club I have just about had enough.

ah boo hoo. What do you mean we have no strikers? Adebayor just signed on loan or did u forget that. Defoe cannot have as bad a season as he had last year. His season was interrupted by injury and hopefully he can go on a decent run this term.

No central midfield? Do u actually watch the games? Sandro was immense before his injury. The addition of player of the year Parker can only make our midfield better. I don't know how Modric will take the refusal but i still think we are covered in midfield with Hudd, Niko, VDV (who could play in that role).

I do agree with you slighty when it comes to our cbs. I thought we should have bought Cahill. Kinga and Gallas are both excellent players but how many games will they play this year due to injuries. I still think Dawson and Kaboul are decent players but it looked pretty bad after shipping 8 goals in our first two games. Luckily we will not have to face players of that quality every week.
    Even more perverse is the fact that Friedel looks like a good addition even though he let in 8 also.

Look we did not get the marquee signing we may have hoped for but we still have the core of the team from the last 2 seasons and have added 3 good players.

Agree with all of the above, Jaysus have a little faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 therightstuff

You're on drugs mate. Adebayor is a trouble-making clown whom City could not get rid off quick enough. And while we are talking of clowns, those of you happy about cutting the wage bill should be as confused as I am as to why Gomes is still on the books. He makes Booby Mimms seem like a safe pair of hands. Defoe has never been good enough. As I pointed out, that's why we sold him previously. Scott Parker??? A West Ham player.

Then you list Krancjar (transfer request last year- nobody else wanted him) and Van de Vaart (who cannot play ninety minutes) as stand-ins for midfield. Give me a break. Yes I do watch the games. Sandro is a good ball winning player but that's the problem with the other team being able to pick eleven players- he needs others around him. Huddlestone is fine until he starts thinking he is a great player- unfortunately that seems to be most of the time. Perhaps Palacios was sold because he was one of the few players they have deemed surplus that someone would actually buy.

I am glad you "agree slightly" that there may be a problem with a defence that has conceded eight goals in the first two games....Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

You're on drugs mate. Adebayor is a trouble-making clown whom City could not get rid off quick enough. And while we are talking of clowns, those of you happy about cutting the wage bill should be as confused as I am as to why Gomes is still on the books. He makes Booby Mimms seem like a safe pair of hands. Defoe has never been good enough. As I pointed out, that's why we sold him previously. Scott Parker??? A West Ham player.

Then you list Krancjar (transfer request last year- nobody else wanted him) and Van de Vaart (who cannot play ninety minutes) as stand-ins for midfield. Give me a break. Yes I do watch the games. Sandro is a good ball winning player but that's the problem with the other team being able to pick eleven players- he needs others around him. Huddlestone is fine until he starts thinking he is a great player- unfortunately that seems to be most of the time. Perhaps Palacios was sold because he was one of the few players they have deemed surplus that someone would actually buy.

I am glad you "agree slightly" that there may be a problem with a defence that has conceded eight goals in the first two games....Lol

Yup the same Adebayor who always scores against us and who Rio Ferdinand and Vidic have said is the hardest oppenent to play against.

Your point about Parker does not make any sense. Yes he played for a poor West Ham team but was voted Player of the Year not just by his club but by the entire league. And you dislike him because he played for West Ham. Cop on.

I have always liked Krancjar and would love to see him given a chance. He is more of a threat going forward than Modric. Put Sandro and Parker in beside Niko and give him a run.
    And I can see VDV playing in midfield especially against those teams that park the bus at WHL. 9 home draws last season cost us our top 4 spot and if we play with a more attacking formation with Ade and Defoe up front we may be able to break teams down. And yes I know at the moment he cannot play 90 minutes but hopefully he will get his fitness up and can do a job for us.

Again you have to take into consideration who we played in our first two games. We conceded 8 against the two top teams in tha land. It will not happen against anyone else. And we have King and Gallas to come back from injury.

A bit of positivity lads please!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Parker is a good buy even though he is 30 .. Still cant see why we couldnt have all our business done before yday .. Just hope to god that Modric will play some decent ball now ,, Against the 2 top teams our midfield was just completley overrun .. Playing no holding midfielder against City was madness - Raging we couldnt get a deal done with Cahill .. Stoke have bought pretty well and so have them boyos up the road .. lets get a win against Wolves and take it from there !!! YID ARMY !!! and for the record I think Dawson is a dam good centre half !!!:D

We are at the bottom already and have shipped 8 goals. We have no centre halves. None, almost three years after Redknapp was appointed! How long does it take to accept the fact that Dawson is not good enough? He was not good enough when he was at Forest. King is good enough but cannot play. The others are not worth mentioning.

In a rush, but, yep we are weak in and clearly this was attempted to be rectified. however, it is also the same defence that got us fourth and last 8 of the champions league. Sandro/Parker should hold midfield a lot better.

Against city sounded like our midfield was totally over run. When that happens it doesnt matter who your back four is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Brad

Walker/Kaboul King/dawson/Gallas Benni

Parker Sandro/Hudd

VDV/lennon Modric/Niko Bale

Ade

I think thats a sweet line up but i do think we need 2/3 quality signings at Jan to try and break into the top 4.
    (i know i left out some players but you get the drift of the formation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Good comments all round

Ultimately am disappointed that we didn't capture someone like Gary Cahill or Samba

Also would have loved a move for a keeper , probably earlier and looked at Given or even possibly Kasper Schmeichel or Rob Green (I know )

I do wonder about Modric and if he is now just waiting for Jan Window

I hope Ade does well for us and I feel that with him, Bale, VDV and Lennon we are ok. Danny Rose and Kyle Walker are doing well

Lets see how the new boys settle in

So.....not all doom and gloom, top 6 maybe?

Gotta have faith

Audere Est Facere

(cant remember..but can we still sign loan deals or is this all in the window)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

A lot of knee-jerk reactions being spouted on here. As far as Daws & Kaboul go of course they looked awful with no CMs screening them over the last two games. Not many CBs in the country would have done much better in the same circumstances.

The way I see it is with Parker, Sandro & Modric in the middle with Bale & Lennon on either flank and Adebayor playing on his own up front we'll be a serious threat away from home without exposing our defence. At home we can go even more gung-ho if we drop Bale to LB against the lesser sides with Modders on the left and VdV back in up front.

I still reckon we'll be there or there abouts for 4th. The Gooners have weakened considerably and Liverpool aren't half as good as they're being made out. Keep the chin up, after all this is Spurs and isn't all the fun in the highs & lows!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Undercover wrote: »
    A lot of knee-jerk reactions being spouted on here. As far as Daws & Kaboul go of course they looked awful with no CMs screening them over the last two games. Not many CBs in the country would have done much better in the same circumstances.

Completely agree with that quote and clearly evident in the City game with not one recognised tackler ahead of our back four.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

For me, I'm happy the window is shut. Modric has to sit tight and play ball. Ade will get goals (particularly against the Wolves/Stoke of this world). Last season we killed teams all over the park but not in the 12 yard box.

Our current forwards can't have as bad a season as they did last year - so I think overall, we could have a good season yet (glass half full cos I've had worse transfer windows following Spurs when Rohan Ricketts was the best we could get).

If I wanted to have 'splash the cash' transfer windows I'd follow City and Chelsea but then they don't have any class - that is why I am Tottenham til I die!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Fridel
    Ade
    Parker
    Keep Modric
    Offload most of the deadweight

In July I think most of us would have taken that. Yes, Cahill not signing was a kick in the balls. I'm personally happy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Does anyone think this is just we have what we hold Harry could be gone to
    the England job after next summers Euros new manager comes in who will look to bring in his own type of players.No massive lay out of money on players this transfer window.

• Advertisement

He’ll definitely acquire the position at some stage, I’d like Moyes as his successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

dissapointed we didnt get Cahill, but from a very reliable source here is what happened

Deal was agreed at £14million with Bolton, Cahill happy with terms offered to him – no problem with wages

Last minute Bolton Chairman calls Levy to say ‘Price has changed - £18million’
    This was just after N’gog had signed for Bolton for £4million so looks like they wanted to re-coup that straight away!

Levy told Bolton to stop uck-ing us about – Bolton stood firm with now wanting £18million – THFC walked away

I personally think Levy done the right thing in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Mullo76 wrote: »
    dissapointed we didnt get Cahill, but from a very reliable source here is what happened

Deal was agreed at £14million with Bolton, Cahill happy with terms offered to him – no problem with wages

Last minute Bolton Chairman calls Levy to say ‘Price has changed - £18million’
    This was just after N’gog had signed for Bolton for £4million so looks like they wanted to re-coup that straight away!

Levy told Bolton to stop uck-ing us about – Bolton stood firm with now wanting £18million – THFC walked away

I personally think Levy done the right thing in this instance.

Agree Mark, moving the goalposts at that late stage was out of order.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wouldnt have paid 18 million for him anyway, regardless of it it was last minute or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

That is what happens when you leave all your transfers until the last minute.Supply & Demand...Get in early and get the deals done ala Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool...I'm sure we could have had him for £15m in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

My biggest regret is losing Woodgate. He would be better than Cahill or Samba, and is finally fit. Having stuck with him for 2 years, we should have kept him around on a one year deal , wouldn't have cost so much, and we would have known if he was fit or not before 1 sept, then moved if necessary. I wouldn't mind putting a fiver on Woodgate playiong more this year than Ledley or Gallas.
    I understand there is a huge risk in having three injury prone CB's in their Thirties, but I personally would have held onto him.
    Otherwise OK. In terms of Wilson, JJ, and Bentley, SPurs fans have given all three a hard time, unfairly so in Wilson's case- I know he gave the ball away a lot last season, but so did Huddlestone, and he's still around- less mobile and less of a screen to the back four.
    Of the current squad, Bassong and to a lesser extent Lennon and Defoe are now the focus of the groans every time they balls up. Harry has a job to do to get those three playing with confidence again -he bought two of them, so it's his responsibility.
    I worry that when players lose form under HR that we don't seem to turn it round. Questions about the coaching remain. What combined wages are Jordan, Bond, Allen, Sherwood, and Sir Les on? The last three are Spurs legends, but they could always do tours around the ground on matchdays if they're not up to it. Look at the effect Steve Clarke has had on Liverpool. Dalglish is a motivator and can read a game well -ditto Harry. We need someone to set the team up at the start of games, and get our shape and organisation right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

My biggest regret is losing Woodgate. He would be better than Cahill or Samba, and is finally fit. Having stuck with him for 2 years, we should have kept him around on a one year deal , wouldn't have cost so much, and we would have known if he was fit or not before 1 sept, then moved if necessary. I wouldn't mind putting a fiver on Woodgate playiong more this year than Ledley or Gallas.
    I understand there is a huge risk in having three injury prone CB's in their Thirties, but I personally would have held onto him.
    Otherwise OK. In terms of Wilson, JJ, and Bentley, SPurs fans have given all three a hard time, unfairly so in Wilson's case- I know he gave the ball away a lot last season, but so did Huddlestone, and he's still around- less mobile and less of a screen to the back four.
    Of the current squad, Bassong and to a lesser extent Lennon and Defoe are now the focus of the groans every time they balls up. Harry has a job to do to get those three playing with confidence again -he bought two of them, so it's his responsibility.
    I worry that when players lose form under HR that we don't seem to turn it round. Questions about the coaching remain. What combined wages are Jordan, Bond, Allen, Sherwood, and Sir Les on? The last three are Spurs legends, but they could always do tours around the ground on matchdays if they're not up to it. Look at the effect Steve Clarke has had on Liverpool. Dalglish is a motivator and can read a game well -ditto Harry. We need someone to set the team up at the start of games, and get our shape and organisation right.
    Then Harry isn't our man, he lacks any sort of tactical awareness. That formation vs City was suicidal.

Agree aboout Cahill, you're always going to overpay for an English player but £18 million is taking the piss. If he was from mainland Europe you'd get him for less than £10 million easily. From what I've read Bolton are strapped for cash so it doesn't really surprise me that they upped the price as soon as thay had spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

THFC wrote: »
    Then Harry isn't our man, he lacks any sort of tactical awareness. That formation vs City was suicidal.

Agree aboout Cahill, you're always going to overpay for an English player but £18 million is taking the piss. If he was from mainland Europe you'd get him for less than £10 million easily. From what I've read Bolton are strapped for cash so it doesn't really surprise me that they upped the price as soon as thay had spent.

18 million and in last year of his contract. that is crazy. we should do a deal with him in january to sign him on a free transfer next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Woodgate has played three games in a row will play four with the international
    games.Is it because he is on pay for play?,or the medical staff cant assess injuries?

• Advertisement

bogtreader wrote: »
    Woodgate has played three games in a row will play four with the international
    games.Is it because he is on pay for play?,or the medical staff cant assess injuries?

I think the training has to be contributing to the amount of injuries, fitness staff may also be responsible. Impossible to say without seeing what they do day in, day out.

We do seem to be plagued with a constant repetitive amount of injuries.

Advertisement