Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I can't see him letting Lennon go at all.

Lennon is an orthodox winger, not a wide forward, as much as I love the fella he's too similar to SWP and Walcott, I can see AVB selling..
    davycc wrote: »
    I cant believe you forgot about Ade;)

And Bentley? Almost forgot about him!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Lennon is an orthodox winger, not a wide forward, as much as I love the fella he's too similar to SWP and Walcott, I can see AVB selling..

And Bentley? Almost forgot about him!:o

Bentley once said he was the new Denis Berkamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Jenas ? Gomes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ah I don't think you can lump Gomes in with that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »
    Jenas ? Gomes ?

Jenas is a QPR player mate, did he not sign an 18 month contract with them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It's pretty obvious this summer AVB will have a clear out of those players who don't fit the system to be replaced with those who do. I speculate:

Sold/Released:
    Gallas, BAE, Naughton, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore, Lennon and Defoe

Bought/Returning from loans:
    Pereira, Rose, Moutinho, Townsend, Ince, ANother winger, Hulk and Damiao

Job done.:D

I'll eat my hat if we buy Hulk. Very little chance of Moutinho either.

Lennon might not fit in AVB's first team plans but I expect him to stay as an impact sub at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Jenas is a QPR player mate, did he not sign an 18 month contract with them ?

Oh yeah possibly. It's Bentley so that went on loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Ormus wrote: »

Lennon might not fit in AVB's first team plans but I expect him to stay as an impact sub at least.

You for real?...Lennon is key to his plans

Fully agree, Lennon is liked I would have thought.

Haha, well at least I'm saying he'll be kept, Leinstersqspur says he'll be released!

I would have have Lennon in the team personally, but out and out wingers are going outta fashion. I hope AVB keeps wingers at Spurs but it's far from guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Haha, well at least I'm saying he'll be kept, Leinstersqspur says he'll be released!
    I would have have Lennon in the team personally, but out and out wingers are going outta fashion. I hope AVB keeps wingers at Spurs but it's far from guaranteed.

Wouldn't think he meant released...he's a little odd that fella but not that bad :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I would like to think that Lennon will be kept. He might not be the out-and-out wide forward that AVB usually plays in his system but he's still very important to the team.

Having said that, I do feel that Lennon as progressed as much as he ever will as a player. I just cant see him getting any better technically, finishing, final pass etc and once he looses that yard of pace which every player eventually does, he wont be any near as effective and if he's going to be sold now is the time to do it and get a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

I would like to think that Lennon will be kept. He might not be the out-and-out wide forward that AVB usually plays in his system but he's still very important to the team.

Having said that, I do feel that Lennon as progressed as much as he ever will as a player. I just cant see him getting any better technically, finishing, final pass etc and once he looses that yard of pace which every player eventually does, he wont be any near as effective and if he's going to be sold now is the time to do it and get a decent price.

He is in the team for his pace. Also no conicidence we lost to Liverpool Fulham Basle and dre with Wigan last week when he got injured.....his absense makes us look very ordinary imo

He is in the team for his pace. Also no conicidence we lost to Liverpool Fulham Basle and dre with Wigan last week when he got injured.....his absense makes us look very ordinary imo

I agree, Spurs have never looked the same without wingers.

I don't think Lennon will lose a yard of pace for another 3 or 4 seasons. He's so small and light that it's easy to stay fit.

I know, thats why I'm saying that when/if he looses a yard of pace, then he wont be as effective and wont be needed.

I'm not for one minute suggesting he should be sold. The opposite in fact

I said sold, he's not out of contract. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if he is not in AVB's long term plan, the 4-3-3 plan that is.

At Porto and Chelskum AVB played a left footer on the right and right footer on the left of the front three. That meant it was the full backs who were the wingers and Hulk/Sturridge (both left footed) supporting the striker Falcao/Torres in the centre and Varela/Mata both right footed cutting in from the left and playing in between the lines in the same fashion we saw Tevez recently v Spurs (particularly in the first half).

Now call me crazy but, if we sign that striker such as Damiao (sorry) or Soldado, in my opinion Bale will play the Hulk/Sturridge role and Lennon will not be good enough to play the Varela/Mata role.

English players are naturally over valued in the EPL and AVB might think 15m for Lennon is good business, especially with Townsend (left footed) waiting in the wings;);)

I said sold, he's not out of contract. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if he is not in AVB's long term plan, the 4-3-3 plan that is.

At Porto and Chelskum AVB played a left footer on the right and right footer on the left of the front three. That meant it was the full backs who were the wingers and Hulk/Sturridge (both left footed) supporting the striker Falcao/Torres in the centre and Varela/Mata both right footed cutting in from the left and playing in between the lines in the same fashion we saw Tevez recently v Spurs (particularly in the first half).

Now call me crazy but, if we sign that striker such as Damiao (sorry) or Soldado, in my opinion Bale will play the Hulk/Sturridge role and Lennon will not be good enough to play the Varela/Mata role.

English players are naturally over valued in the EPL and AVB might think 15m for Lennon is good business, especially with Townsend (left footed) waiting in the wings;);)

Mea culpa, I misquoted you, I meant sold, not released.

I agree with all you say but still hope it's not true, Lennon is one of my favourite players and I think we are so much better to watch with him in the team. Even if he didn't quite fit the system he would be a great sub to bring on when defenders are tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Tottenham coach Andre Villas-Boas attended Barcelona-Bayern on Wednesday and talked for an hour with Barcelona executives yesterday. [as]
    Talks between Barcelona and Tottenham coach Villas-Boas possibly regarding some homegrown players, like Deulofeu, Dos Santos, S.Roberto [as]

This was tweeted by barcastuff [as(associated sport?)] as the source.

No idea about the quality of any of the players though surely we need to be aiming for players a little older that would have a bigger impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Deulofeu is quality. Right winger I believe. Football Manager brought him to my attention but he looks good thus far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

but but but...what about our friendship agreement with barcalona's rival :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

As far as I have heard, rumours Barcelona will be letting David Villa go this summer... I know he had a quiet enough season since returning from the broken leg, but my god I would jump at the chance of signing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sure we already had one Villa, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sergei Roberto's agent has said they have had an offer from spurs and Roberto wasn't happy because he wasn't getting enough playing time for the Barca senior team (he's 21)

Serious whiff of the Dos Santos off'a that fella.

3 first team appearances in 3 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Cianan2 wrote: »
    As far as I have heard, rumours Barcelona will be letting David Villa go this summer... I know he had a quiet enough season since returning from the broken leg, but my god I would jump at the chance of signing him!

We've already bid for him according to this, as well as Atl. Madrid.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/sport-tottenham-atletico-madrid-offer-e12m-for-barcelona-forward-david-villa/

Villa (although 31) and Son would be some acquisitions, I know anyone can look good in a YouTube clip but the Korean lad looks a proper player!

What's the chances of Levy looking at the situation differently now that SAF is retired and thinking this is the time to push the boat out and have a real crack at the EPL title next year? Will there ever be a better opportunity.

Will he open the wallet and spend that extra 30M this summer to take us to the next level and if so, who should we go for?

Will he open the wallet and spend that extra 30M this summer to take us to the next level and if so,

Pains me to say it but no chance I'd imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just don't know with David Moyes.

But just imagine if Harry Redknapp took over at Old Trafford?! My god that would be fun!... Window interviews outside United's training ground telling everyone he's looking for a good bargain on deadline day.. Then the United fans will know why plenty of Spurs fans dont like Harry!

Would be great to watch..

Anyway, Kevin Prince Boateng being touted.... Dont think I want to see him back.

• Advertisement

What's the chances of Levy looking at the situation differently now that SAF is retired and thinking this is the time to push the boat out and have a real crack at the EPL title next year? Will there ever be a better opportunity.

Will he open the wallet and spend that extra 30M this summer to take us to the next level and if so, who should we go for?

Levy is the chairman, not the owner. His job is to run the club as a business. We have sponsors and investors and a business plan.

The media talk about chairmen 'loosening the purse strings' and 'handing X a transfer warchest', but people don't really believe all that stuff do they?

Advertisement