Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Also does anyone else think that actually having an attaking player again in the VDV or Modric role would make Ade score a lot more goals?

It's possible, certainly couldn't hurt, but it seems more likely that Adebayor's lack of goals last season came more because of him not playing well / not being fit / not bothering his arse, than lack of quality service.

Then again a few sumptuous through balls could be all it takes to reignite his love of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Ormous summed Adebyor well there. If we could sell him I think that would be the best option. That may be hard to do cos of his wage, then we would need our manager to tell him how great he is so he can get the best out of him along side the other world class striker, we are all praying arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Excellent, should put to bed any more of this nonsense about AVB+GB heading to PSG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Levy "He will strengthen our football management team, particularly in the field of recruitment, working closely with Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood across all levels on the playing side."

Get the chequebook out Daniel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Surely his appointment means that we will be spending money this summer? I mean you'd hardly hire a chef if you weren't going to cook any food, so I'd hope the club will be letting him loose with a few quid to pick up the best talent in his little black book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Lamela rumors should resurface so..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SuprSi wrote: »
    Surely his appointment means that we will be spending money this summer? I mean you'd hardly hire a chef if you weren't going to cook any food, so I'd hope the club will be letting him loose with a few quid to pick up the best talent in his little black book.
    Levy will still be in charge of negotiations I think.

It would be nice to have all our business done early in pre season though and have the team bedded in by start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

id say baldini will target players and then it will be up to levy to negotiate a deal.mccarthy,villa and 2 full backs would do me.sandro and kaboul like 2 New signings too.capello got the psg job too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Paulinhio has looked good so far for Brazil in the confederations cup.

Looks less able defensively than sandro but better going forward could be great in the middle of AVBs favoured 4-3-3 with Sandro and Dembele.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

As small as this seems...... i'd be delighted if we signed a couple of players AND i had the new jersey before August 1.

As small as this seems...... i'd be delighted if we signed a couple of players AND i had the new jersey before August 1.

are they not keeping last seasons jersey?

Paulinhio has looked good so far for Brazil in the confederations cup.

He seems to be a box-to-box midfielder, like Ramieres at Chelsea.

If he's to play in a midfield three with Sandro, then we need a creative spark at the front of that three.

He seems to be a box-to-box midfielder, like Ramieres at Chelsea.

If he's to play in a midfield three with Sandro, then we need a creative spark at the front of that three.

Which begs the questions of where Dembele would play? That would be 3 box-to-box midfielders with limited creativity.

Striker
    Bale
    Lennon
    Dembele
    Sandro
    Paulinhio

The Dembele role becomes very important. Someone who can run with the ball, dribble but also has an eye for defence splitting passes is key, and although Dembele is excellent at the first two he's not great at the last. Bale could play there, as a no. 10.

Of course, AVB could be considering injury and form too, especially if he takes the Europa League seriously again. In that case, having 3 box-to-box midfielders could be key.

Yeah Paulinho looks like he is worth the money but he definitely isn't the type of player we need when we have everyone fit.

Sandro and Dembele are our athletic midfielders, what we were missing last season was someone to play a killer pass.

Maybe there are doubts about Sandro's long term fitness, he has been quite injury prone since arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I don't ever recall us doing our transfer business early doors and starting the season with a settled team .. it would be a nice change and we could benefit from it enormously.

.. and whatever about getting new blood in, I hope we don't leave it until the last minute to sell players either. The Modric deal dragged on too long last summer, VDV was sold late in the day and Dawson almost left late too. Its okay if its the dead wood or fringe players but I can seel Levy doing something daft like selling Dembele or Sandro or Walker to PSG/Monaco or someone similar like that if the deal is too good to turn down in the final couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I don't ever recall us doing our transfer business early doors and starting the season with a settled team .. it would be a nice change and we could benefit from it enormously.

.. and whatever about getting new blood in, I hope we don't leave it until the last minute to sell players either. The Modric deal dragged on too long last summer, VDV was sold late in the day and Dawson almost left late too. Its okay if its the dead wood or fringe players but I can seel Levy doing something daft like selling Dembele or Sandro or Walker to PSG/Monaco or someone similar like that if the deal is too good to turn down in the final couple of days.

I'd be taking a guess that Baldini is being brought in to prevent this from happening in the future. Also, if you think back to the Llloris transfer and the comments from their president regarding Levy, it's fairly evident that Levy is the accoutant type, too shrewd for his own good leaving a sour taste to a deal. Baldini is the personality we need, AVB clearly doesn't want this burden as he wants to be busy coaching.

I'd expect most of our business to be done before preseason, with maybe one deal being done in the late stages. Here's hoping!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

We might not see the full extents of Baldini's influence this summer. It's good he's in early though, it allows a good 6 weeks before the season starts to make some sort of an impact..

I'm interested to see what his impact will be in January. Whether we need that Striker or midfielder or whoever to improve our chances of a trophy or top 4 in the latter stages of the season, of Baldini will be the guy who convinces Levy to make the funds available there and then to give AVB what he needs to achieve his goals.

When all fit...

we can only play 6 attackers so to speak..ie midfielders and forwards..

Who and were do we really need them ?
    And who'll go?

Siggy - Lennon - Carroll - Thud - Parker - Sandro - Dembele - Dempsey - Holtby - Bale - Defoe - Adebayor - - - Townsend - Livermore ...

I personally would like to see Carroller get a chance to impress...
    as good as Wilshire i reckon he could be..maybe let him off loan to Palace or the like...

When all fit...

we can only play 6 attackers so to speak..ie midfielders and forwards..

Who and were do we really need them ?
    And who'll go?o

Siggy - Lennon - Carroll - Thud - Parker - Sandro - Dembele - Dempsey - Holtby - Bale - Defoe - Adebayor - - - Townsend - Livermore ...

I personally would like to see Carroller get a chance to impress...
    as good as Wilshire i reckon he could be..maybe let him off loan to Palace or the like...

id be letting Livermore,parker go. Carroll on loan if sandros back fully fit. holtby just doesn't do it for me.townsend gone too n reckon he'll sell thudd too.you can play siggy or dempsey anywhere across your attacking 3 so they're good cover to have.

• Advertisement

id be letting Livermore,parker go. Carroll on loan if sandros back fully fit. holtby just doesn't do it for me.townsend gone too n reckon he'll sell thudd too.you can play siggy or dempsey anywhere across your attacking 3 so they're good cover to have.

If you let Parker, Hudd and Livermore go, I don't think Carroll can go on loan unless you buy further cover.

Holtby hasn't convinced as of yet but he is young and deserves another season to see if he can kick on.

Townsend should be a very useful squad member to have, coulda done with him in the second half of last season, although he benefited a lot from regular football at QPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Guy on red issue claiming Bale is United bound. Me thinks its because the number. 7 shirt (Valencia) has been withdrawn from sale at united stores. Now that could be for any number of reasons but This just gives the conspiracy theorists free license.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Guy on red issue claiming Bale is United bound. Me thinks its because the number. 7 shirt (Valencia) has been withdrawn from sale at united stores. Now that could be for any number of reasons but This just gives the conspiracy theorists free license.

Heh, no chance. Unless they were willing to pay significantly over the odds. Remember Modric and Chelsea? Utd would have to at least double what Chelsea would've had to pay, and that's assuming Levy would even hold discussions with them.

as good as Wilshire i reckon he could be..

TPM-CGYoda.JPG

Ormus wrote: »
    If you let Parker, Hudd and Livermore go, I don't think Carroll can go on loan unless you buy further cover.

Holtby hasn't convinced as of yet but he is young and deserves another season to see if he can kick on.

Townsend should be a very useful squad member to have, coulda done with him in the second half of last season, although he benefited a lot from regular football at QPR.

townsend,parker and livermore are not good enough for us if we want to push for top 4.id presume we'd be signing better midfielders in the summer.id keep thudd but reckon avb doesn't fancy him.i hope holtby comes good but from what i saw last season he's not gonna spray the ball around,score enough goals or look as composed on it as Carroll.in sayin that,a full season with us might release his full potential

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Parker out, but we need cover for Sandro
    Thudd out
    Livermore out
    Dempsey out

Keep Siggy and Hotlby, and maybe let one of them go in Jan if they aren't making any impact and we can get someone in to replace them.

townsend,parker and livermore are not good enough for us if we want to push for top 4.id presume we'd be signing better midfielders in the summer.id keep thudd but reckon avb doesn't fancy him.i hope holtby comes good but from what i saw last season he's not gonna spray the ball around,score enough goals or look as composed on it as Carroll.in sayin that,a full season with us might release his full potential

I wouldn't be sorry to see Parker and/or Livermore go, but you have to remember that we are Spurs, not City, we don't have the resources to have two world class players in every position. So while I agree that Livermore is substandard, Parker is past his best and Hudd is too slow, these are players who would get into maybe half the teams in the Premiership and would get into the second eleven of 90% of the clubs in the Premiership, so we shouldn't hold our noses up at them.

I look forward to the day when we have genuine quality in reserve for every position, but we're not there yet!

Ormus wrote: »
    I wouldn't be sorry to see Parker and/or Livermore go, but you have to remember that we are Spurs, not City, we don't have the resources to have two world class players in every position. So while I agree that Livermore is substandard, Parker is past his best and Hudd is too slow, these are players who would get into maybe half the teams in the Premiership and would get into the second eleven of 90% of the clubs in the Premiership, so we shouldn't hold our noses up at them.

I look forward to the day when we have genuine quality in reserve for every position, but we're not there yet!

You must have great eyesight Ormus!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Might be more than gossip, being reported in the Telegraph and Sky Sports website.

Advertisement