Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Transfer Gossip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm buying this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

As long as this money comes out of the 'future potential' kitty rather than the main one I don't mind. It's an awful lot of money to spend on players so young though. Still, if we still get the players we need for the first team and these I won't be complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sun today are reporting deal done for the 2 Croat kids- 17m

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SuprSi wrote: »
    As long as this money comes out of the 'future potential' kitty rather than the main one I don't mind. It's an awful lot of money to spend on players so young though. Still, if we still get the players we need for the first team and these I won't be complaining.
    Ya this is all I would be worried about.

The deal is meant to be us loaning them back tin until January and Alen until next summer so both should get to play until then.

Alen Halillovic already has his first cap for Croatia as well and that is not easy they have a great team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Paulinho looked very good again last night. Hopefully we can get a deal sorted asap, as there'll definitely be more interest in him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Ya this is all I would be worried about.

The deal is meant to be us loaning them back tin until January and Alen until next summer so both should get to play until then.

Alen Halillovic already has his first cap for Croatia as well and that is not easy they have a great team.

Actually what I've read is that neither will be joining until they're 18. Jedvaj is 18 in November so will join in January and halilovic is 18 next June so won't join until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Tin Jedvaj for £6m. Halilovic's current value is £12m but his potential value is £80m. You have to speculate to accumulate. Wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

I agree. While I know nothing about these guys, I do like when we make these kinda signings. It's the only way we can acquire young world class players: buy them young and raw and hope they blossom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ormus wrote: »
    I agree. While I know nothing about these guys, I do like when we make these kinda signings. It's the only way we can acquire young world class players: buy them young and raw and hope they blossom.

These have Baldini written all over them, apparently Roma had made a bid for Jedvaj so he had obviously been monitoring them closely. If the new DoF highlights two young players as potential world beaters I applaud the club for backing him.

The only way Spurs (at the moment) will get world class players is through the academy or through gambling on young talent. But it is a gamble e.g. Gareth Bale v Adel Taraabt..

Obviously nobody wants financing of the first team squad to suffer.

These have Baldini written all over them, apparently Roma had made a bid for Jedvaj so he had obviously been monitoring them closely. If the new DoF highlights two young players as potential world beaters I applaud the club for backing him.

The only way Spurs (at the moment) will get world class players is through the academy or through gambling on young talent. But it is a gamble e.g. Gareth Bale v Adel Taraabt..

Obviously nobody wants financing of the first team squad to suffer.

Yeah that's it, we have got Baldini, so we have to trust that he'll pick out a Bale (or even someone half as good) more often than he'll pick out a Taarabt.

It's not an exact science so there is no way he can be right all the time, and sometimes it will be money down the drain, but sometimes it will turn out to be peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

for every bale there's a John bostock or dean parrett unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

That leaves us with just Villa and Harry Kane up front!

Harry is very unproven.

And we don't even own Villa yet!

Doesn't matter, none of them are up to the level we want to be at.

for every bale there's a John bostock or dean parrett unfortunately.

If we had a Bale for every Bostock, we'd be European Champions by now

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, none of them are up to the level we want to be at.

I think Defoe and Adebayor are at a higher level than Harry Kane.

Would be crazy to sell all our senior strikers without replacements lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Typical Levy move if you ask me. He buys two players for peanuts in the hope they become the next Gareth Bale or whatever, increasing the value of the playing squad which add another 20, 30, maybe 40 million to the overall value of the club when ENIC sell up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

I doubt this is Levy, this to me is pure DOF type dealings

I doubt this is Levy, this to me is pure DOF type dealings

Yeah, I doubt they were on our radar until Baldini came along but at the same time I wouldn't say it took much convincing for Levy to shell out for them, (buy low, sell high) and then come August when we start the season with just Ade and Defoe he can always tell everyone how we spent 20M on new players in the summer

Typical Levy move if you ask me. He buys two players for peanuts in the hope they become the next Gareth Bale or whatever, increasing the value of the playing squad which add another 20, 30, maybe 40 million to the overall value of the club when ENIC sell up.

Yeah damn Levy anyway, wish he'd stop buying talented players and improving the club

Yeah, I doubt they were on our radar until Baldini came along but at the same time I wouldn't say it took much convincing for Levy to shell out for them, (buy low, sell high) and then come August when we start the season with just Ade and Defoe he can always tell everyone how we spent 20M on new players in the summer

Yeah typical Levy, he just wants us to fail on the pitch so that the club grows in value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Yeah damn Levy anyway, wish he'd stop buying talented players and improving the club

Yeah WTF, damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Hopefully what we're seeing here is Levy taking a step back and just managing the purse with a DOF calling the shots

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

did you see Villas touch and shot last night v Spain...
    Long diagonal ball into the box, killed it with 1st touch, dropped a shoulder to get half a yard, and clipped it towards the top corner, Cesar makes a svae for the cameras... but the touch,shift and shot in the perimeter of a dustbin lid was class...
    Villa to Spurs is a no-brainer.

• Advertisement

There's a time for gambling 20Million + on two unproven 17 year olds and there's a time for spending that same money on player(s) with proven credentials, who can hit the ground running and take us to the next level in the up coming season, not in 4-5 seasons time - thats all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Long diagonal ball into the box, killed it with 1st touch, dropped a shoulder to get half a yard, and clipped it towards the top corner, Cesar makes a svae for the cameras... but the touch,shift and shot in the perimeter of a dustbin lid was class...

ye i thought the same when i saw that. i'v always been a big fan of villa and a few years ago dreamt of him playing at the lane. despite his age i still think he could be very good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

There's a time for gambling 20Million + on two unproven 17 year olds and there's a time for spending that same money on player(s) with proven credentials, who can hit the ground running and take us to the next level in the up coming season, not in 4-5 seasons time - thats all I'm saying.

Everyone agrees with you. The hope is that if this much is being spent on unproven players, it comes from an 'unproven players' fund rather than taking money from the 1st team fund. If all of the cash available was spent on these guys, without any strengthening of the strikers or 1st team, I think we could all feel rightly aggrieved.

Everyone agrees with you. The hope is that if this much is being spent on unproven players, it comes from an 'unproven players' fund rather than taking money from the 1st team fund. If all of the cash available was spent on these guys, without any strengthening of the strikers or 1st team, I think we could all feel rightly aggrieved.

Just had this weird mental image of DL in his office with two sacks of money on either end of his desk. 1 huge bag marked 'unproven players fund' and another much smaller bag marked 'new striker fund' :D

what does this say to our next gen players when they see we are spending big bucks on foriegners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

what does this say to our next gen players when they see we are spending big bucks on foriegners?

Says more about the FA's youth development in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I watched a video of the 48 goals David Villa scored for Barcelona. Three of which were headers. Though, the impressive thing was that of the other 45, I'd say 23 were scored with his right foot and 22 were scored with his left. And, these weren't just tap-ins with his left... I'm talking some beautifully crafted pings!

I've only gone and found it again..... :cool: (it's at this point I realise I could be counting chickens!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7mOcF--xlqY

are Ricky Villa and David Villa brothers?
    1st time we've had brothers playing at the lane since Harry and Jamie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It says you ain't good enough baby..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

nipps wrote: »
    ye i thought the same when i saw that. i'v always been a big fan of villa and a few years ago dreamt of him playing at the lane. despite his age i still think he could be very good for us.

I do laugh at the age thing, the man is only 31 and a few good seasons left in him. If 31 is past it then I feel as old as hell :D

Advertisement